Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

Duraframe300

Arcane
Even the Japanese are paying lipservice to the Ls, Gs, Bs, and Ts now, what happened? They didn't need to, they've always had okama characters who stood on their own without being propped up as 'stunning and brave' like, say, Bon Clay from One Piece who is a complete badass bro who just happens to be okama (And Ivankov from the same series) or Marie from Domekano. Sure they're played for comic relief at times, but so is everyone else in their respective series.

inb4 it turns out that whole dialogue sequence was a complete fabrication by the localization team

It wasn't. It's not THAT bad either because she's a near parody and the protag doesn't care, but its there in japanese.

OTOH, saying that LGBT people are basically better, kinder and more understanding because they *struggle* together (When in reality they belong to the biggest backstabbers in the world) is probably the worst single SJW line yet in video gaming history.

tet666

Augur
Is that a 55/60 bucks Visual Novel (at least the regional price in mine is one AAA game is usually released at) :what:

I understand that it might have very good writing but that kind of price for a VN probably won't fly in PC or even in console.

It's not really "just" a visual novel it's much closer to an Adventure since there is lots of gameplay and everything is fully animated and voice acted, if this game can't be sold at full price no game can.

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
New Spike Chunsoft's VN, and it has pretty good reviews:

I'm enjoying it so far because of how bizzare it is.
It's broken on win7 so I have to swap between OSes to play it and get private tracker seed points. EDIT: wait, shit this fucker seems to work fine on vista compatibility mode. Edit2: okay, not so fine but it seems it solves a problem with"AI sight" locking up the game.

Could have watched an LP since there doesn't seem to be much in the way of gameplay so far, but LPers don't seem to be going through all the objects.

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
AI Somium files is really great. It has this bizarre humour that you only get in Japanese games, I don't remember the last time a game made me laugh this much. Also, enjoy the murder mystery in this, there aren't many characters in this novel but they are all connected. The ream puzzles are really unique since you can't solve them with real-life logic.
How you solve these dream puzzles decides how the story continues which changes which characters you are meeting and how they react to you. It definitely goes beyond what you see in most VNs with choices. Though you have to go through all routes to fully understand the game's story luckily you can simply jump to the points where the story diverges with a menu so you don't have to go through everything again.

I am now 7h in and really enjoying it definitely the best VN I have played this year.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do the Zero Escape games classify as VNs? If so, I wonder what you guys think about AI Somnium Files?

Duraframe300

Arcane
Do the Zero Escape games classify as VNs? If so, I wonder what you guys think about AI Somnium Files?

I mean.... discussed on the last page.

IMO, a bit overrated like the Zero Escape series in general is, but still an excellent VN. I like it very much apart from the afromentioned SJW'sm (which is optional anyway, bit offset because of how bad the line is).

Theldaran

Liturgist

They're totally VNs. Though, they have gameplay (puzzles). Much in the same vein as Professor Layton games, but in a completely different genre. In Virtue's Last Reward, the game itself calls the dialogue sections "novel sections" in the tutorial.

Somnium Files, for me is the current litmus test for Director Uchikoshi (the mastermind behind all of these games), having failed hardly with Zero Time Dilemma. Still I eat through his games like there's no tomorrow. I'll probably get Somnium Files when it has a more decent price. I appreciate that unlike many VNs, his characters tend to be grown-ups (even if they sometimes behave silly). A decent change of atmosphere from the typical, overdone high school.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm playing Zero Time Dilemma right now. While it isn't on the level of the two previous games in the series, it's still better than many other games in the genre.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Anyhoo, finally found the time to complete Sekai de Ichiban Dame na Koi.

Also known as NG恋, 世界で一番NGな恋, 世界でいちばんだめな恋, Sekai de Ichiban NG na Koi, The World's Most Forbidden Love, DameKoi, SekaiDame, 世界でいちばんNGな恋, or the game with a ton of shitty names that don't really describe the content at all.

Basic TL; DR is that a Japanese salaryman has a shitty turn of fate, is about to an hero, gets encouraged by a good samaritan, gathers his courage and tries to confess to her but ends up living in the run-down boarding house ran by her daughter instead. Hijinks ensue.

A romantic(?) comedy with very light (content considered) drama elements.

Good things: fukken mature cast(!!!) with adult problems and adult conversations (not getting your dick hard, escaping relationship problems by overworking yourself, infertility etc.). Traditional feel-good-story, no edgelording. Japanese Forrest Gump with (less autism). Fully voiced protagonist who has very palatable personality.

Bad things: side characters are way underutilized. Story is linear and waifus need to be played in order. Side stories get rather poor closure, which means that those girls get less development since their arc already ended. Character art is... meh.

Worst thing: The whole thing is linear. There is a clear "female protagonist" whose route is the true route. The whole schtick about "forbidden love" comes from this and well.

In the end you are fucking an immature, underage girl. She is half your age, you pedo scum! The English version does it's absolute best to downplay this fact by not explicitly pointing out certain things, but yobikou is yobikou.

And none of this would've really been necessary, story wise. All the loose plotholes had been wrapped up by then due to the linear structure. They could've just as well waited 'till she was legal age.

The game is first and foremost a light-hearted comedy with sexy times. A realistic approach to the core theme would've not fit the game at all, and even though the end game lightly touches upon the societal impact of such a relationship, it is aaaaaaaabsolutely unrealistic.

Not a perfect game, and the ending left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, but still - fucking adult protagonists and mainly adult characters as well. God how I wish we had more of those.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
Muv-Luv "Sequel" (Seems to be multiple dimension/timeline sheanigans?) announced, nothing but a few images, not even a release window https://twinfinite.net/2019/10/muv-luv-integrate/?gid=1&pid=0
Muv-Luv-Integrate-1.jpg

Muv-Luv-Integrate-2.jpg

Muv-Luv-Integrate-3.jpg

Muv-Luv-Integrate-4.jpg

Muv-Luv-Integrate-5.jpg

Muv-Luv-Integrate-6.jpg

Muv-Luv-Integrate-7.jpg
And some form of anime adaptation of Alternative was also announced, but the scope or studio or release window are also unknown

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So I uh... tried Maggot Baits out. Yeah, this shit is a bit too much.

Here is our hero:
X75lqRn.jpg

The writing is edgy to the max, and can be quite dumb at times. You have your near-immortal witches, who can recover from anything besides having their head cut off. Which you'll get to experience in great detail. They need semen to recover their powers, naturally. The whole place is filled with with the absolute worst of the worst. And anyone who even appears to be nice will soon get brutally raped and or murdered, probably in snuff fashion.

Gy2WrF8.jpg

Then you have the fights.

Lets just put it this way... the fights are a bit more visceral than you traditionally expect. Since we're talking about semi-immortal beings, cutting off limbs and the such is commonplace, but when we start tearing intestines out from abdominal wounds... yeah.

And all that while this shit is playing:

Punches popping out eyeballs from the sockets, breaking facial bones. Teeth being smashed in. You get the whole works.

And I won't even get to the "sex" scenes. I could stomach Euphoria, but this... fuck it. Anyone buying this should end up on some government watchlist.

Sick fucks.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I know Maggot Baits is full of fucked up fetishes and so on, but I bought it expecting it to actually tell something. We'll see. If it's just mindless gore, I'll be sorely disappointed.

Also the actual English text seems to be quite a ways off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom