Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

arekks

Novice
ok nvm.
https://www.gematsu.com/2022/10/cha...-via-steam-as-previously-planned-on-october-7

CHAOS;HEAD NOAH for PC to launch via Steam as previously planned on October 7​

'Valve has re-examined CHAOS;HEAD NOAH and decided to reverse course.'
Sal Romano
Oct 6 2022 / 9:00 PM EDT

CHAOS-HEAD-NOAH-PC_10-06-22-320x180.jpg

The previously cancelled Steam release of CHAOS;HEAD NOAH for PC will launch as originally planned on September 7, publisher Spike Chunsoft announced.
Spike Chunsoft received the following statement from Steam operator Valve:
“Valve’s content review team, the group that made the original decision, has re-examined CHAOS;HEAD NOAH and decided to reverse course and allow the game to ship on Steam, as is. We’ve also examined the process that led to the previous decision about CHAOS;HEAD NOAH, and made some changes to avoid situations like this in the future.”
Spike Chunsoft also shared the following statement:
“We believe this decision is the result of the unwavering support from fans of the Science Adventure series as well as all of the players who are eagerly awaiting the release of this title. Your voices have been heard. We sincerely appreciate your commitment. We look forward to your continued support of Spike Chunsoft and the Science Adventure series.”
lol based. I should read this. CHAOS;CHILD was decent.

But at the same time, now that Steam has approved it... is this VN cucked or something? Um, yikes? I'll go back to watching Isis torture videos sankyuu. None of this kiddie shit.

(srsly I'll buy it sometime)

Retardo

Learned
ok nvm.
https://www.gematsu.com/2022/10/cha...-via-steam-as-previously-planned-on-october-7

Sal Romano

The previously cancelled Steam release of CHAOS;HEAD NOAH for PC will launch as originally planned on September 7, publisher Spike Chunsoft announced.
“Valve’s content review team, the group that made the original decision, has re-examined CHAOS;HEAD NOAH and decided to reverse course and allow the game to ship on Steam, as is. We’ve also examined the process that led to the previous decision about CHAOS;HEAD NOAH, and made some changes to avoid situations like this in the future.”
“We believe this decision is the result of the unwavering support from fans of the Science Adventure series as well as all of the players who are eagerly awaiting the release of this title. Your voices have been heard. We sincerely appreciate your commitment. We look forward to your continued support of Spike Chunsoft and the Science Adventure series.”

But at the same time, now that Steam has approved it... is this VN cucked or something? Um, yikes? I'll go back to watching Isis torture videos sankyuu. None of this kiddie shit.

ppl say the translation is shitty, so its better to wait for a fan patch

arekks

Novice
ok nvm.

Sal Romano

ppl say the translation is shitty, so its better to wait for a fan patch

Yeah but that's VN fans, they're retarded as hell. You have to remember that these are people who like Umineko

arekks

Novice
https://arekks.itch.io/gas1 I just re-read my own NaNoWriMo VN from last year and made myself lol from my own bad jokes. The first few scenes suck, none of the jokes land at all, but it gets better when they go to the Chinese restaurant

Anyway, I want to write something this year and I have a scenario written out but there's no way I can capture the insane vibe I had last year...

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Started going through Umineko a couple of days ago, currently at the beginning of episode 2. Was wondering should I do a "let's play" thread where I post my speculation about what happened as I read so people could collectively laugh at them?

Theldaran

Liturgist
The fandisk (sequel) to Hoshizora no Memoria, Eternal Heart (HD version) is now available on Steam and Denpasoft.

So far, it's like any other fandisk. I recall liking the base game quite a bit, but with the first story here (secret heroine), I remembered the messy setting. Ultimately it doesn't make sense, but it isn't required to enjoy the story anyway. Hard to explain without actually playing it (base game + this is about 80 hours).

Right now I can't recommend but hopefully I find something salvageable later.

Retardo

Learned
Tried that newly-translated Gore Screaming Show. So far it's not bad.

First, it has much less gore and shit than I've expected judging by its title, its mostly limited to the bad endings, and thankfully, even that can be turned off.

The writing has that issue most of the VNs suffer from, it overexplains the things, mulls over the thoughts of the protag, and you, as a reader, can guess much of the plot far earlier than it actually unfolds.
It also stays true to the custom that it is a dating sim, and protag's dick is some kind of philosopher's stone that heals girls' mental traumas and turns the crazies into wife material.

However, GSS really shines when it does the creepy shit. City-wide demonic possession, various mindfucks played on people, and so on. Also, while the three main heroines routes can be a bit trivial, the secret and "true" routes kinda ditch the whole high-school dating shit and get actually interesting.

BlackPanther

Novice
Umineko - Of all the VNs I've read, Umineko is by far the most intelligent and unique. It has a large cast of interesting characters of various ages, a reasonable gender balance, and a strong, engaging plot. I wish there were more visual novels like this outside of the romance genre.

Steins;Gate - Excellent comedy and drama. I like how this series takes its time with its pacing. This novel is one of my favorites because of the experiments and "scientific" process used.

Muv Luv Alternative - Need I say more?

Higurashi - The Nightmare VN. It's unsettling at times, but it's always compelling, with a great sense of subtlety in its buildup of tension and mystery.

═█═

Literate
Is The House in Fata Morgana good? I have it on my wishlist on GOG and it was on sale for half price during the holidays.

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
Is The House in Fata Morgana good? I have it on my wishlist on GOG and it was on sale for half price during the holidays.
It's great, very sad but beautiful. Also make sure to check out the side stories which are also available on steam.

Tyrr

Liturgist
No idea.
But it was "localized" by a woke tranny, so I decided to skip it.
That's literally 90% of the VNs translated into English.
iirc Muramasa was localized by an actual troon
Yes. But this one translated "tsundere” into “fragile male ego". People looked up his Twitter and found all the usual woke and man-hating stuff.
Mangagamer did the good old "angry gamers are sending death threats" damage control.
After that I decided to skip this VN and use JAST instead of Mangagamer.

turkishronin

Arcane
No idea.
But it was "localized" by a woke tranny, so I decided to skip it.
That's literally 90% of the VNs translated into English.
Yes. But this one translated "tsundere” into “fragile male ego". People looked up his Twitter and found all the usual woke and man-hating stuff.
Mangagamer did the good old "angry gamers are sending death threats" damage control.
After that I decided to skip this VN and use JAST instead of Mangagamer.
ahaha I remembered that one. They were so proud of that change too lol
>the word tsundere doesn't fit the setting
>let's change it to something that also doesn't fit the setting
:troll:

Arthandas

Prophet
That's the first I'm hearing of this. He translated one of my fav VNs - Saya no Uta and it was well written. I'm currently reading Muramasa and it's also high quality. Obviously I don't know how accurate the translation is, only how good it reads.
I didn't notice any red flags in the script so at this point I don't care if he's trans or not.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Yes. But this one translated "tsundere” into “fragile male ego".
Wasn't that in "the world end with you " 2 ?
I just finished chapter three of muramasa and saw no retardation regarding the translation so far, and given the setting and the way the story go, I would fully expect them to stick like a sore thumb.
Unless there is different translation going around ? Like you can get the game form either JAST, MG or GoG, and those are the legal option.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Most VN translation are by one company or another so even if you buy at JAST it is still Mangagamer product so it is the same translation.

And yeah the Tsundere = fragile male ego was big controversy, granted within the context of the story of the guy being asshole, it is probably not "tsundere" as we would used to be in anime/manga/vn: namely some girl with "tsun" and "dere" side for romance thus leaving it untranslated would be confusing, but the choice of word to translate ended up being big controversy. It's not a tropey "girl who seems like pretty sour becomes pretty sweet docile after she fell in love with mc"

MangaGamer basically solve it by having the developer (which has official EN account) said that the localization is spot on for the context of the situation the story is written for.

Tyrr

Liturgist
It's about giving Mangagamer money or not.
So it's JAST or sukebei if it's a MG exclusive.

turkishronin

Arcane
That's the first I'm hearing of this. He translated one of my fav VNs - Saya no Uta and it was well written. I'm currently reading Muramasa and it's also high quality. Obviously I don't know how accurate the translation is, only how good it reads.
I didn't notice any red flags in the script so at this point I don't care if he's trans or not.
Well Muramasa is mostly lazy MTL with little change. I saw a 橋/箸 in the English translation without any kind of change even though it does not make any sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom