Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warcraft III: Reforged - now with lowest user metacritic score of all time

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Do I still own that game ?
Yes.
Does it still work ?
Were you to load it up now, it'd connect to bnet and download all the assets for wc3r. Have fun.

So my old WC3 was patched into WC3R ?

What the fucking fuck ? What was wrong with the way they handled the Starcraft remaster ?

At least this got me replaying non-reforged campaign. Brings back nice memories. Also I suck at RTS a lot less now since getting into SC2 laddering couple years ago so I might enjoy it even more now.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
original wc3 artstyle is pretty shit too compared to wc2 ironically.
I agree with this.

Also, all the assholery aside, I don't fully understand the surprise and shock at blizz game looking like utter shit? Diablo 1 and Warcraft 2, their last good looking games, were already a couple of years ago, poor and outdated graphics are pretty much their forte for a long time now.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
original wc3 artstyle is pretty shit too compared to wc2 ironically.
I agree with this.

Also, all the assholery aside, I don't fully understand the surprise and shock at blizz game looking like utter shit? Diablo 1 and Warcraft 2, their last good looking games, were already a couple of years ago, poor and outdated graphics are pretty much their forte for a long time now.

The style of WC3 was inferior to WC2 but the art itself was professional and high quality.

Same with Diablo 3. Shit style compared to the original, but you can't say the product doesn't feel expensive.

This, however, feels like some mod that was abandoned mid development.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
What the fucking fuck ? What was wrong with the way they handled the Starcraft remaster ?

Starcraft was handled the same way. Even though the original version of SC + BW is free and available, you still have to download all the remastered assets if you play it through Bnet.

Viata

Arcane
k9XVncV.png

Max Heap

Arcane
The natural consequences of outsourcing your product to Asia and SJWs.

You know, we keep joking about purple haired dykes taking over creative positions in the industry, but I'm really close to believing this had a significant impact.

Cause if there is one thing these guys have in common, it is that most of their art is professionally on just the level that you can sell it, but nowhere beyond that (in other words: the perfect diversity hire).
Basically just go and take a look at some devintart profiles by the stereotypical pink haired girl in her mid-20s (the types you will now find on group photos of blizzard and other companies currently going down the drain). There is a common theme through all of them and it often finds its full realization in the cal-arts animation style (among other things):

Low contrast, high value colors (often from some neon palette).

And - I shit you not - this is a recurring theme in the texture work of WC3 reforged.

There is very little contrast, the values are all over the place, the stylization is essentially non-existent, to the point where it becomes hard to even read what's going on in some textures.

When you directly compare the old texture work to the new, you realize just how good the old artists actually were. Their stuff actually still looks pretty fucking fantastic (low poly limitations aside). It's the fact that they not only made a deployable piece of technical art, but also went the extra mile to make that stuff pop in the perspective you will be looking at it:

7Rgi9SD.png

The lower one looks completely flat. Trees and grass had highlights painted into the texture in the original, something that, by the way, is only done by confident, well trained professionals and regularly ignored by those that believe they can hide their art under a layer of PBR maps and post processing.

The values are completly off. The value on the lower layer of grass is way, waaaaay to high. The trees have this fucking DotA gradient going on - which wouldn't be a problem if the tops didn blend into the ground - which uses the same value of green.

The remaster misses details and "exaggerations" that actually help the eye when you are looking at a scene from above. To be more exact, compare the size of the blades of grass in the original to the blades of grass in the remaster. Same applies for cracks in the mud and "small" rocks on the road (which seem to be missing - which is not a big surprise, since they are a deliberate, contrasting exaggeration in the original - something the new artists is apparently incapable of).

As an ATVI investor I'm naturally thrilled by all of this.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Getting contrast right is hard. Much easier to shit out a flat turd and call it "modern". And of course the stupid masses have been taught to believe that "flat colors" are "hip" so they'll defend it as being good.

Anyway, I always thought that W3 looked like shit but damn, this remake is just... fuck. I can't imagine how someone looked at that and said "yeah, this is an improvement".

Last edited:

ChaDargo

Arcane
The natural consequences of outsourcing your product to Asia and SJWs.

You know, we keep joking about purple haired dykes taking over creative positions in the industry, but I'm really close to believing this had a significant impact.

Cause if there is one thing these guys have in common, it is that most of their art is professionally on just the level that you can sell it, but nowhere beyond that (in other words: the perfect diversity hire).
Basically just go and take a look at some devintart profiles by the stereotypical pink haired girl in her mid-20s (the types you will now find on group photos of blizzard and other companies currently going down the drain). There is a common theme through all of them and it often finds its full realization in the cal-arts animation style (among other things):

And - I shit you not - this is a recurring theme in the texture work of WC3 reforged.

There is very little contrast, the values are all over the place, the stylization is essentially non-existent, to the point where it becomes hard to even read what's going on in some textures.

When you directly compare the old texture work to the new, you realize just how good the old artists actually were. Their stuff actually still looks pretty fucking fantastic (low poly limitations aside). It's the fact that they not only made a deployable piece of technical art, but also went the extra mile to make that stuff pop in the perspective you will be looking at it:

7Rgi9SD.png

The lower one looks completely flat. Trees and grass had highlights painted into the texture in the original, something that, by the way, is only done by confident, well trained professionals and regularly ignored by those that believe they can hide their art under a layer of PBR maps and post processing.

The values are completly off. The value on the lower layer of grass is way, waaaaay to high. The trees have this fucking DotA gradient going on - which wouldn't be a problem if the tops didn blend into the ground - which uses the same value of green.

The remaster misses details and "exaggerations" that actually help the eye when you are looking at a scene from above. To be more exact, compare the size of the blades of grass in the original to the blades of grass in the remaster. Same applies for cracks in the mud and "small" rocks on the road (which seem to be missing - which is not a big surprise, since they are a deliberate, contrasting exaggeration in the original - something the new artists is apparently incapable of).

As an ATVI investor I'm naturally thrilled by all of this.

It looks like a high school kid remade WC3 in Aurora as a fan project. Fuck Blizzard.

Olinser

Savant

Getting contrast right is hard. Much easier to shit out a flat turd and call it "modern". And of course the stupid masses have been taught to believe that "flat colors" are "hip" so they'll defend it as being good.

Anyway, I always thought that W3 looked like shit but damn, this remake is just... fuck. I can't imagine how someone looked at that and said "yeah, this is an improvement".

They didn't.

They looked at it and said, "Yeah we can milk the Blizzard fanbois for some cash with this. Don't spend any more money just toss it out and grab some quick cash."

Zer0wing

Cipher
How much did they fuck with campaigns besides the TFT balance changes?
You can't target and kill children anymore.
Classic WCIII is removed and replaced by Reforged but without new HD models so you're fucked either way
The UI is not scaled well with High Definition monitors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom