Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Darktide - co-op action from Vermintide devs

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I still remember L4D where you had to cheese or use bugs/glitches to win games.
You didn't have to cheese. All you needed was a good team.
Ah, probably should've added the caveat that we were doing splitscreen and only had two controllers, so with two bots the highest difficulty was a pain in the ass.

Harthwain

Magister
I'd much, much rather play the very first L4D than something like Darktide. No loot garbage, pretty cool atmosphere, readable game, runs on a toaster at 5 zillion fps.
Eh, loot as such is fine. The problem is how they handled it in Darktide, which is atrocious when compared to their own earlier game! You have to buy weapons with in-game currency after unlocking them, because in Darktide you don't get weapons via free lootboxes, like it was the case in Vermintide 2, where you could get a new weapon and instantly go play with it to see if it's any fun. So you have to buy weapons blindly, when you don't even know whether they'll suit your playstyle or not.

And that's not even touching dozens of other idiotic design decisions. The lack of subclasses, for example, really did hurt a very fun aspect that was present in Vermintide 2 - enabling class building (of sorts).

But, yeah, the game is not to be recommended in its current state. By the way, Darktide is at 70% on Steam. We're very close to reaching "Mixed" here, boys!.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
https://www.pcgamer.com/we-dont-wan...hed-to-an-in-game-currency-to-sell-cosmetics/
Darktide follows the common F2P game monetization route of making you buy a premium currency in bundles—$4.99 for 1000 Aquilas, in this case—which you can then spend on skins. There's currently no way to buy exactly how many Aquilas you need for a one-off purchase, which some angry players have called "predatory bullshit." According to Fatshark lead developers, that was the opposite of their intention.
"We want to be fair—it's so disappointing to see [those posts]," Fatshark co-founder Martin Wahlund told me in an interview with PC Gamer on Thursday. "That's the last thing we want to be. The whole thing is to get people, if they want to, to buy it.
We forgot to add one of the bundles. The idea was always to be 1:1. We realized a bit too late that one of the bundles wasn't in. It takes a bit of time to get it approved and stuff like that. But we for sure need to improve that, and we hear people. We got that one wrong, and we need to rectify that to make sure people don't have that friction at all

Harthwain

Magister
69% on Steam as of right now. :smug: If nothing else this will make Fat Shark sweat a little.

Codex Year of the Donut
The only way you could do something like that and be surprised at the complaints is if you don't play video games.
Being forced to buy more currency than you need to acquire something is one of the most frequent complaints you see about those systems.

I'd much, much rather play the very first L4D than something like Darktide. No loot garbage, pretty cool atmosphere, readable game, runs on a toaster at 5 zillion fps.
Eh, loot as such is fine. The problem is how they handled it in Darktide, which is atrocious when compared to their own earlier game! You have to buy weapons with in-game currency after unlocking them, because in Darktide you don't get weapons via free lootboxes, like it was the case in Vermintide 2, where you could get a new weapon and instantly go play with it to see if it's any fun. So you have to buy weapons blindly, when you don't even know whether they'll suit your playstyle or not.

And that's not even touching dozens of other idiotic design decisions. The lack of subclasses, for example, really did hurt a very fun aspect that was present in Vermintide 2 - enabling class building (of sorts).

But, yeah, the game is not to be recommended in its current state. By the way, Darktide is at 70% on Steam. We're very close to reaching "Mixed" here, boys!.
Of course it's a matter of taste, but I hated loot even as it was handled in Vermintide 2. The first Vermintide was way better in that respect and the entire game didn't revolve around it (at least early on, I only played for a few weeks).

I'd rather play the game for the levels themselves and have them balanced around player skill rather than some arbitrary scaling number. This entire hamster wheel school of design that hopes to keep players hooked forever on some base pavlovian mechanism is detestable to me. It directly makes me not to want to play the game.

Plus, any objectives that are introduced that don't involve beating the level breed spurious, degenerate play that's completely unenjoyable. So, in that vein, fuck achievements or whatever they're called in Darktide.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Plus, any objectives that are introduced that don't involve beating the level breed spurious, degenerate play that's completely unenjoyable. So, in that vein, fuck achievements or whatever they're called in Darktide.
Yeah, I don't know if it's talked about in this thread or I just saw it on Steam forums - the achievements for this game are excruciatingly bad. One class has an achievement for killing a boss enemy all by themselves ... meaning if the pickup group of randoms you're working with fire a single shot, you're fucked. Another ach, for a marksman class, rewards you if you complete a level without missing any shots ... so the lobbies are filled with marksmen who use only melee to try to get the achievement, often leading to a team wipe because they can't pull their weight.

And these aren't just Steam achievements; they're linked to the in-game reward systems. Putting in deliberate incentives for content this idiotic almost makes me believe they really did "just forget" to implement the slightly less anticonsumer part of the cash store, because only true morons would design a game like this and expect it to go well.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Excruciatingly lite "RPG" mechanics are added to every game now because they keep people playing due to the feedback loop. It was first noticed in Diablo 2 and distilled over the years to the most basic parts.
It's difficult to find a new game without some poor linear implementation of gear/leveling/crappy %-based talent tree now, regardless of genre.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Yeah, I don't know if it's talked about in this thread or I just saw it on Steam forums - the achievements for this game are excruciatingly bad. One class has an achievement for killing a boss enemy all by themselves ... meaning if the pickup group of randoms you're working with fire a single shot, you're fucked. Another ach, for a marksman class, rewards you if you complete a level without missing any shots ... so the lobbies are filled with marksmen who use only melee to try to get the achievement, often leading to a team wipe because they can't pull their weight.

And these aren't just Steam achievements; they're linked to the in-game reward systems. Putting in deliberate incentives for content this idiotic almost makes me believe they really did "just forget" to implement the slightly less anticonsumer part of the cash store.

Yeah the penances are really badly designed, like most of the game that isn't unloading a bolter into a heretic's face. It's a testament to how unemployed devoted its fanbase is that I see tier four cosmetics everywhere. I even got one for the zealot (because it's bugged).

And yes, everyone agrees it exists to push players to buy cash shop cosmetics.

I miss when games just made money off its sticker price, and not over messing with your psychology.

Yes, whenever someone brings up the tired argument "iTz JUsT CosMetiCz BrAH" my eyes just spin backwards from rolling so much.

These games are riddled with cheap, manipulative and exploitative psych tricks and overt applications of techniques of compliance. It's disgusting, unacceptable, and yet people keep buying them. They get what they fucking deserve.

Codex Year of the Donut
Yes, whenever someone brings up the tired argument "iTz JUsT CosMetiCz BrAH" my eyes just spin backwards from rolling so much.

These games are riddled with cheap, manipulative and exploitative psych tricks and overt applications of techniques of compliance. It's disgusting, unacceptable, and yet people keep buying them. They get what they fucking deserve.
bro it's a f2p game they need to fund the development bro

Reever

Scholar
Patron
How else are they going to release all the "SeAsOnAl CoNtEnT" like classes, weapons and maps (that they've clearly not cut from the base game) without the support of their whales fans?

Codex Year of the Donut
How else are they going to release all the "SeAsOnAl CoNtEnT" like classes, weapons and maps (that they've clearly not cut from the base game) without the support of their whales fans?
heard a crazy guy suggest they bundle the content together and sell it as this weird thing he called an "expansion pack"

Reever

Scholar
Patron
heard a crazy guy suggest they bundle the content together and sell it as this weird thing he called an "expansion pack"
And you can buy it all at once? That sounds pretty cool but I'm pretty fond of buying a pass and than grinding daily and weekly meaningless side-quests to get what I paid for. And also the opportunity to support the developer even more through battle pass xp boosters.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That guy had an even crazier cousin who had the wild idea of bundling it all together and calling it a "game"

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
And you can buy it all at once? That sounds pretty cool but I'm pretty fond of buying a pass and than grinding daily and weekly meaningless side-quests to get what I paid for. And also the opportunity to support the developer even more through battle pass xp boosters.
Yeah, also the paradox method of nickle and diming you for convenient features that should have been in the game to begin with is pretty solid. I don't think this new fangled "expansion pack" thing will catch on.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Also, having paid cosmetics is stupid because it tells you nothing about that player other than what they're willing to spend on digital outfits.

Like with traditional MMORPGs and older online games, having a certain outfit is a mark of prestige because that player accomplished certain milestones.

The penances here would be better designed if they were rewarded for "completed x runs of Damnation 5 difficulty with no deaths" instead of "random arbitrary condition that is either stupid or bugged to hell."

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
This looks like it still needs a lot of optimization. 3090 with 10900K 1440p and I'm dipping into mid-80s just in the Prologue. This is with DLSS on. Can't even barely budge performance by turning things like occlusion down or off.

Oh well, it was free.

Dodo1610

Arcane
It's strange that this is yet another WH40k game that somehow expects you to already know the lore

Also the people I have played with have been suprisingly friendly. Apperantly a game about fascists committing religiously motivated genocide brings out the best in people

Last edited:

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I don’t know what people expected after the earlier games they produced; shit company has shit policies, pick this up in two years for 5 bucks. When that cash shop in V2 popped up showing $10 for a single outfit I almost did a spit take

Re: Lore, as a casual warhammer game player it feels like a kitchen-sink fantasy setting idk

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
meh.

I'm playing it and having fun. I actually find the weapon progression better than VT2, it's very affordable to try multiple kinds and even some of the better modifiers, just by levelling.

Still left a negative review tho. For all the reason mentioned ITT already. There's a very good game underneath all the crap imho but most of it is outrageous.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I don’t know what people expected after the earlier games they produced; shit company has shit policies, pick this up in two years for 5 bucks. When that cash shop in V2 popped up showing $10 for a single outfit I almost did a spit take

Re: Lore, as a casual warhammer game player it feels like a kitchen-sink fantasy setting idk
40k lore is actually surprisingly monocled, or at least it was something around like 3rd edition when the Rogue Trader weirdness wore off but it was before the new lore. The setting was so hilarious grimdark that it was unique in its own right.

3rd_Edition_FCover.jpg

Now it's basically mainstream, so expect decline.

Harthwain

Magister
It's strange that this is yet another WH40k game that somehow expects you to already know the lore
It does? I got the impression that the character creation is trying to impart some of the lore to you. The rest goes via characters in-game dialogues.

Also the people I have played with have been suprisingly friendly. Apperantly a game about fascists committing religiously motivated genocide brings out the best in people
Probably Vermintide 2 veterans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom