Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Darktide - co-op action from Vermintide devs

Peachcurl

Cipher
Is this any fun to play alone?

You can definitely play this by yourself and just join random groups. I've been doing just that. You can easily git gud enough to manage missions up to diff 4 with randos, although completing those consistently and/or beating level 5 diff requires coordination and is hard to do without a voice channel and a full group of people that know what they are doing.

Additionally, in VT parties where imho more consistent due to the limited characters pool and the no duplicate rule. Sure, careers changed the way they played, but you could always count on Kerillian players to have a bow of some sort and be able to deal with distant nuisances. In DT you can double, triple and quadruple dip on classes, having a full party oof zealots (3 out of 4 armed with flamers) is loads of fun, untill you're besieged by an infinite horde and the game spawns 3 snipers and a bomber on you. True story.
But can you play without joining any groups at all, at least on lower difficulties? I don't mind if I'm soft-locked out of higher difficulties. If the formula is interesting enough to make me try coop that's fine, but not what I want initially.

A-Minish

Educated
But can you play without joining any groups at all, at least on lower difficulties? I don't mind if I'm soft-locked out of higher difficulties. If the formula is interesting enough to make me try coop that's fine, but not what I want initially.
You can not, the custom/private lobby option will also come later. It is supposed to come this month at least.

Now, some of us know Fatshark can be liars or just be very late at finishing their product, so it might come in 2 or 3 months at worst if they indeed are working on it... Or never come if there are some shit going on behind the scene(like Halo Infinit's local coop)
In DT you can double, triple and quadruple dip on classes, having a full party oof zealots (3 out of 4 armed with flamers) is loads of fun, untill you're besieged by an infinite horde and the game spawns 3 snipers and a bomber on you. True story.
This is precisly the type of stupid fun that gives me incentives to buy the game despite all its flaws. Imagine an all-Ogryn party smashing everything with shields and grenade-luncher, imagine their retarded dialogs :lol:

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can not, the custom/private lobby option will also come later. It is supposed to come this month at least.
It's hilarious that they launched a co-op game without one of the most important possible features, private lobbies.

I played enough Vermintide to know that I'd rather drill a hole in my foot than play with randos who will just rush through the level getting themselves and/or everyone else killed.

Harthwain

Magister
I played enough Vermintide to know that I'd rather drill a hole in my foot than play with randos who will just rush through the level getting themselves and/or everyone else killed.
You could pull it off in Vermintide 2, but not here. Without the regenerating shield via coherency ("stay together" mechanic) you will end up dead fast, even if specials won't grab you.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's hilarious that they launched a co-op game without one of the most important possible features, private lobbies.
Groups of friends don't play "hamster wheel style". They have measured, perhaps scheduled play sessions, play a map or two and then move on with their day.

Making "rando play" the norm is yet another way to keep you coming back for more, in long sessions with map after map that wear down your mental resistance and increase your chances of blowing money on the cash shop. "Darn it! That group sucked! Maybe the NEXT group will be good!" click click click

"Well it took 22 tries but finally a group won that one, the team all immediately quit and I have no one to celebrate with. Maybe I'll treat myself to a new hat"

"I tried 22 times and never won a map, everyone immediately quit and I have no one to talk to, I'm depressed, all that time spent and nothing to show for it. Perhaps I'll console myself with a new hat"

Last edited:
Picked this up. Initial thoughts are that its not as well designed as vermintide with specials being a lot more generic enemies and the addition of guns making it a lot less skill based (e.g. you could completely avoid damage in Vermintide as a skilled player but not in Darktide). Lot less verticality in encounters despite actual vertical levels too, everything drops down to your level and charges you rather than having specials that blast you from rooftops and shit. Still seems OK though, if anyone is interested in doing a premade with me drop a pm. I already have a friend who I plan on leveling with but he's got way less time than me so I'll probably level another class on the side.

EDIT: Also, no end of round scoreboard for me to gloat over how I got more kills than the rest of the team combined. 0/10 unfinished game.

You could pull it off in Vermintide 2, but not here. Without the regenerating shield via coherency ("stay together" mechanic) you will end up dead fast, even if specials won't grab you.
You sure? The melee leech system seems just as strong here, I survived mobs alone on difficulty 3 as a level 1 character just fine. Right now I think my main issue is that its impossible to locate specials since they look so much like normal dudes and I don't recognize any highly distinctive sounds yet like Vermintide had.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
EDIT: Also, no end of round scoreboard for me to gloat over how I got more kills than the rest of the team combined.
I read somewhere that they removed that because it lead to "toxicity between the players". :lol:
Which is just nonsense - people were kicked in VT if they sucked, nobody waited for the score board to appear to kick as it would be a) too late already and b) sucking people become clear very quickly, there's no need to wait for a scoreboard.

Any team-dependent gameplay will lead to players calling each other out for sucking, a score board changes nothing about that, nor does its removal.

Who knows, they might add it back in because so many people are complaining about the lack of proper stats.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
EDIT: Also, no end of round scoreboard for me to gloat over how I got more kills than the rest of the team combined.
I read somewhere that they removed that because it lead to "toxicity between the players". :lol:
Which is just nonsense - people were kicked in VT if they sucked, nobody waited for the score board to appear to kick as it would be a) too late already and b) sucking people become clear very quickly, there's no need to wait for a scoreboard.

Any team-dependent gameplay will lead to players calling each other out for sucking, a score board changes nothing about that, nor does its removal.

Who knows, they might add it back in because so many people are complaining about the lack of proper stats.

One of my most hilarious games was when some psyker kept raging at us for being bad players, when he's yoloing halfway across the map, trying to brainpop a horde. Only to get down and killed.

And then ragequit after we "forgot" to rescue him after he did it twice.

But yeah sure, scoreboard will remove toxicity in the game. GG.

Last edited:
Honestly don't even remember any "toxicity" in Vermintide. You have to be very thin skinned, very awful, or playing difficulties way past your skill level to encounter any issues. Players who ran off alone were laughed at if they died.

Besides the scoreboard only popped up at the end of the game and 95% of random groups dissipated instantly anyway. All it really did was tell you who you might want to add as a friend because they got 600 kills while another guy got 60.

I guess the only way to flex on people on easy difficulties/maps is now to let them die and solo the thing.

Harthwain

Magister
It wasn't even about the team - in Vermintide 2 I used the scoreboard to gauge how well my current build was performing.

They already said they will. Whether this remains a promise or not doesn't matter at this point. The most important thing is they did realize - at least officially - that some form of data is needed for players to evaluate their performance.

One of my most hilarious games was when some psyker kept raging at us for being bad players, when he's yoloing halfway across the map, trying to brainpop a horde. Only to get down and killed.
He was probably doing the Penance in which you have to keep 4 stacks of Warp Charges for 300 seconds. If not, he was just an idiot. I did this on my first try and didn't hinder my team at all. All I needed to do was to be a little bit ahead (like, the first into the room, not much more) to find a fresh victim to Brain Burst.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Sounds like the psykers really got shafted with the penances.

I applaud Fatshark for trolling beta players as much as they did.

A-Minish

Educated
65% on Steam and it is still war on forums. Anyway, I read quite a few times they removed the time limit for items in the cosmetic shop, I need a citation to confirm this as it is not in the last 3 patchnotes(Or I missed it, sorry).

From : https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1361210/view/3612479553122662958
Hotfix 1.0.13
Rejects!
Welcome to the second day in Tertium, and as you clamber out of your makeshift barracks and put on your boots to stem the tide of Chaos, we are rolling out Hotfix 1.0.13. This hotfix contains crash fixes and a much-needed fix to toughness.

Patch Notes
Crash fixes
  • Fixed a crash that could happen when using one of Psyker's talents.
  • Resolved a crash that could occur during login to the character selection view.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when entering the headgear equipment view.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when clicking "Exit Psykhanum" twice.
  • Fixed a crash that could happen when players used a melee weapon special.
  • Fixed a crash that was detected for users that were leaving the Psykhanum.
  • Fixed an access violation crash.
  • Fixed other various, unspecifiable crashes.
Localization
  • Improved localization
  • Clarified melee push description to be more accurate, indicating this action will be used when you have no weapon equipped.
Cosmetics
  • Resolved some placeholder text that would be shown when inspecting cosmetics and weapon skins in the Commodore’s Vestures and when browsing the trinkets menu.
  • Fixed Psyker's Imperial Edition chest plate clipping through the jacket and causing the cosmetic to not match the marketing image.
Bug Fixes & Tweaks
  • Fixed an issue that caused toughness bleedthrough damage on toughness over 100. Toughness over 100 on any class should now function as expected.
  • Resolved an issue when using a controller in the settings menu, where dropdown lists would not work as expected.
  • Added stat tracking for some platform achievements
  • Fixed an issue that when an image in the Commodore’s Vestures failed to load, the entire store would fail to show.
  • Increased experience and Ordo Dockets when finishing a mission on Malice, Heresy, and Damnation.
  • Fixed an issue where users would get raytracing assigned as on by default if the users hardware does not support raytracing (improves performance for some users) *Read Notes from our techpriest [This patch note line has been edited for clarity]
  • Network fix to handle proper disconnects more nicely in LAN transport.

a65c70af1027202631df9d22270d8a366b72f32d.png

Top Known Issues
  • Ray Tracing is currently disabled for AMD and Intel GPU users while investigating issues related to our support for these GPU’s. We are working closely with our hardware partners to resolve this as soon as possible. Until then, ray tracing is turned off by default to avoid any issues in playing the game.
  • Optimization and performance. This is an area we continue to work on, and we see issues with performance.
  • We are continuing to monitor stability. Players should notice improvements with each subsequent patch.
  • We currently don’t support users on IPv6-only networks. This often means a player requires a VPN to play the game. The intention is to support IPv6 in the near future.
  • Some players might experience a sudden crash to desktop with dialogue popup. Switching between windowed mode and fullscreen can result in adjusted resolution and deadlock in some rare cases.
  • Working on delivering missing Twitch Drops to a select few players. We hope to have this resolved within a week.
  • Some users may be missing their pre-order bonuses, and beta tester helmets. We are working on resolving this issue so you all receive appropriate cosmetics as expected. For more information, please visit this link.

a65c70af1027202631df9d22270d8a366b72f32d.png

A Word From Our Techpriests
We have seen a lot of comments about raytracing being on by default for many of our users and we have been investigating this for quite some time. We thought we had caught all cases of this in the release patch but more issues have been found.

We have managed to identify another issue that affects players on GPUs that do not support raytracing at all. The issue is that we have faulty fallbacks for settings that are removed from the settings menu because they are not supported on the GPU causing them to fall back to true instead of false.

The patch for this will reset your settings and re-detect optimal settings from the launcher, when the game is launched we should set proper defaults for you that sets `rt_reflections_enabled` and `rtxgi_enabled` to false.

It is important to note that our user settings file contains multiple other raytracing related settings, these settings are sub settings to `rt_reflections_enabled` and `rtxgi_enabled` and controls the behavior of those features. Changing those settings or the settings being true has no bad effect on performance whatsoever. In fact some of those features being enabled is because they enable optimizations to the raytracing features. Turning all of them off is not necessarily the most optimal state for performance should you want to enable raytracing in the future.

There is one exception to this and it is the setting called "rtxgi_scale". This setting while controlling the quality of the dynamic rtxgi if `rtxgi_enabled = true` will also control the quality of the baked rtxgi if the setting `baked_ddgi = true` (the setting called "Global Illumination" under advanced settings). When you set rtxgi_scale to 0 that means that the baked rtxgi will also be off. While this will give you better framerate, and might be another reason for following the guides gives you better framerate, some levels that rely highly on this baked global illumination for their looks will become excessively dark as they will lack sufficient light contribution in heavily occluded areas. This is the reason why we decided to not support turning off Global Illumination from the settings menu as it makes some levels almost unplayable due to the darkness for which we have no suitable fallback.

You are of course always free to tweak your settings manually and play around with the different options we give you in there but please do note that there is an intended logic to these settings where it is quite easy to set them up to conflict with each other. This is something that our settings menus and launcher detection takes into consideration. Any manual editing of the `user_settings.config` may result in settings ending up in a permanently broken state from which the settings menu might not be able to save you, in this case using the reset button in the launcher is your best solution to the problem. That option will clear all your render settings and start you over fresh. Please be aware that manual editing of the `user_settings.config`, especially modifying read/write properties of that file will make it very hard for us to diagnose/debug your problems should you have them so when reporting bugs related to settings make sure to mention if you have edited them manually to avoid confusion. There is no shame in this, we just want to know this so that we can offer the proper assistance.
Mostly bug and performance issues but the last point about performance, graphic settings and raytracing might be useful for some users.

From : https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1361210/view/3634998185434845118
Hotfix 1.0.14
Rejects!

Welcome to another day on Tertium. Today, you’ll find in your pack of your rations one serving of corpse starch and Hotfix 1.0.14. This hotfix contains crash fixes, localization improvements, and addresses some bugs that fix some combat issues. The next community update post is slated to go out this week and will be addressing our next content update, crafting, weapons, and other pertinent topics.

Patch Notes
Crash Fixes & Stability
:
  • Fixed a crash that could occur if a player found themselves out of bounds.
  • Fixed a crash when browsing through shop items.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when interacting with NPCs in the Mourningstar.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when textures loaded in.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when players couldn’t connect to servers.
  • Fixed various, other unspecifiable crashes.
  • Fixed some memory leak issues.
Localization:
  • Fixed missing localization in the Shrine of the Omnissiah.
  • Fixed missing localization of the "Skip" button.
  • Fixed missing localization when finishing a weekly task.
  • Fixed missing localization in the Commodore's Vestures.
  • Fixed missing localization in the Armoury Exchange.
  • Fixed missing localization on some weapon descriptions.
  • Fixed some damage stat localization on the Equinox Mk III Trauma Force Staff.
  • Fixing missing subtitles in cutscenes and Valkyrie briefings.
  • Fixed other, minor, localization errors and typos.
Cosmetics & Character Customization:
  • All Zealot Cowl head cosmetics should no longer hide hairstyles. Zealot no longer needs hair regrowth serum from the barber chirurgeon! [Edited for clarity 12/7. This refers to cosmetics earned through penances and the armory exchange. Zealot's premium hood still has balding issues.]
  • The Imperial Edition Thunderhammer should now match the promotional imagery.
  • Ogryn Pre-Order Beta Helmet will no longer apply a voice filter effect.
Combat:
  • You should now be able to chain grenades or combat abilities from reload on Thumper Mk II.
  • Psyker's Brain Burst should no longer cause warp charge explosions when below its intended threshold.
  • Ogryn should no longer slide in idle movement when swapping between weapons whilst in the air.
  • Players should no longer be able to interrupt the reload animation on Accatran and Kantrael lasguns by dodge-sliding.
  • Players should now be able to trigger "on kill" traits with any chainsword hit.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the Surge Forcestaff to kill players if pushed above 80% peril.
  • Ogryn should now correctly get stun immunity on taking lighter hits.
  • Fixed an issue where the Boss Captain enemy in kill missions would be killed through the shield in the Perils of the Warp explosion.
  • Fixed an issue where Forcestaff AOE wasn't working on some enemy units.
  • Fixed an issue where Psyker's "Psykinetic's Aura" would not work on elite enemies.
  • Fixed an issue where players could not block enemy attacks while rescuing their teammates from ledges.
  • Veteran's "Deadshot" should no longer consume stamina when using the scanner.
  • Veteran passive should now grant allies ammo on kill with the Chainsword.
  • The melee weapon trait "Decimator" should now function properly in the Psykharium.
  • The Ogryn Club "Haymaker" trait should no longer trigger with bleed procs and ranged weapons.
  • Fixed an issue where multiple Veterans could cause their “Volley Fire” combat ability to conflict with the “Bio-Optic Targeting” talent.
  • Fixed an issue where enemies could spawn in view of players near the elevator in Chasm Station HL-16-11.
  • Buffed heavy stubber.
    • Buffed damage from 75-150 to 100-200.
    • Buffed berserker armor mod from near 0.5/far 0.6 to near 1.0/far 0.8.
    • Buffed impact from 8-16 to 10-20.
VFX & SFX:
  • Fixed some third person dodge visuals on Force Sword.
  • Fixed some animation errors when dodging using Psyker's “Smite” and then canceling the charge.
  • Fixed some SFX issues on the Ogryn's uppercut punch.
  • Fixed an issue with lighting VFX that could get stuck on screen if a player released a combat ability when no enemies were alive and then switched to a melee weapon.
  • Fixed some errors with grenade inspect and other third-person visuals.
  • Fixed an issue where Renegade Gunners wouldn't show wounds unless they were dead.
UI/UX:
  • The AFK animation should now sync with the AFK warning popup.
  • Fixed an issue where curio card rating info was inconsistent with weapon card info.
  • Fixed an issue where weapon cards would overlap the marks store price.
  • Fixed an issue where the “Warp Flurry” weapon trait description wouldn't display correctly.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause an overlap in the name of the Veteran class on the character creation menu.
  • “Executor” trait should now specify what the buff does.
  • Added a clearer representation of rate of fire in the weapon details screen.
  • Fixed blurriness in the weapon details and appearance view using DLSS.
  • Fixed weapon stats layout that was incorrect with 4-digit number combinations.
  • Fixed missing '+' sign when a weapon stat is exactly 0.
  • Fixed some weapon descriptions and icons for the two-handed sword in the weapon details screen.
  • Corrected some attack symbol icons in the weapon stats view for the two-handed chainsword Tigrus MK II.

From 2 days ago : https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1361210/view/3634998253133702266
Community Update #5: Week 2
Rejects,
Since releasing Warhammer 40,000: Darktide last week, Tertium has become a popular travel destination for many of you. It’s very humbling to see this level of excitement and know that we appreciate the support. That said, we also know that our launch was challenging for many players who had issues - some of which we are still working through.

Our commitment remains the same - for all players to enjoy our game. Our hope is that many of you can see the progress towards this commitment in the past few weeks, having released 8 hotfixes and updates since the pre-order beta launch - 4 of which were released since full launch last week. This isn’t to say we have addressed everything. In fact, we are not fully satisfied and still have work to do.

Our biggest update yet will land next week and will include further improvements, additional weapons, fixes, private sessions, and more.

In today’s update, we want to address a few questions from the community, as well as talk about what’s to come in our next community update on Wednesday, December 14.

More Weapons
One of the key things you pointed out to us was a desire for more weapons. We had planned to offer more weapons at launch, and are taking the first few steps in this direction by adding the following:
  • Indignatus Mk IVe Crusher
  • Achlys Mk I Power Maul
Commodore’s Vestures (In-Game Store)
We heard your feedback on the store loud and clear, and we are making adjustments to how Aquilas are packaged. We are working on adding an 2,400 Aquilas pack to the store, which will arrive next week. We will also add a 100 Aquilas pack within the next few weeks, allowing players to buy smaller fractions of Aquilas. In addition, we are also going to change other functionalities of the store over time.

Crafting System
In our next content update, we will add the “Refine Item” functionality to our crafting system. This functionality will allow you to replace one Perk on a Curio or a Weapon. The same Perk slot can be replaced multiple times, but will block replacing other perks on the same item. This is the next step in building out our crafting system.

Private Play (and Solo)
Starting next week, with 2 or more players in the strike team, players will be able to opt into playing privately via the mission board. This will prevent players who are not friends of a strike team member from hot joining the squad during a mission in progress.

If the squad is all disconnected and a player is left alone when the reservation time expires, the mission will become public.

As for Solo Mode, we are actively working on it. While it technically could work now, we are not happy with its state yet, and we want to ensure the solo experience lives up to your expectations. Right now, it does not, and we would do the game a disservice by implementing it.

Emotes
Many players have asked us for more interesting ways to interact with people in the Mourningstar. Near term, we will be introducing the ability for your characters to use an emote in the hub. Players will be able to customize this emote wheel in the cosmetics menu for their character.

Okay, but a “For the Emperor!” button…
While we don’t have a “For the Emperor!” emote
yet
, we’re most certainly asking the team about it. You know, For the Emperor.

Progression Siloing and Shared Ordo Dockets
Since launch, we’ve seen feedback from many players requesting shared progression across characters to ensure a smoother progression loop. Our designers are taking this feedback seriously and are discussing how to best implement a solution that meets our players' desires and gameplay goals while also striking a balance with the game’s design intent. This is a sizable endeavor, and its feasibility is still unknown, we hope to be able to share more information on its progress at a later time.

Penances
We’ve been working closely with our community support team on how you all feel about penances in the game, and some of the pain points surrounding them. There’s been a lot of feedback to pore through, but we’ve found there’s a disconnect between how we phrase the requirements of some penances and the criteria to achieve them, making them more frustrating for players than we intended. Based on the feedback received from the support team, we’re currently working through solutions to make penances smoother and more enjoyable for players.

This is far from everything - We will have a full list of patch notes and some more updates for you next week!

Thank you, Rejects.
The Darktide Team
By the way they are giving freely a few paid/premium cosmetics on VT2, a reward for each day played if I got it right.

Have fun folks.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
Anyway, I read quite a few times they removed the time limit for items in the cosmetic shop, I need a citation to confirm this as it is not in the last 3 patchnotes(Or I missed it, sorry).
It did. There used to be a timer in the bottom left.
1.png

I was surprised by the fact that they had a rotating shop in the first place as I know Fatshark so I doubt they have enough cosmetics ready to justify it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Dark Tide is frustrating because there is a good, possibly even great game underneath all the various layers of incompetence.

If this game released with just the maps + gameplay, and no items, cosmetics or any of the things designed to waste your time or have you gamble, and better stability and other QoL stuff, then it's 10/10. We didn't need things like an rpg-lite system or progression to enjoy a horde shooter/slasher, those are just things added to bilk you out of your money and time.

But with the poor balance, items, no private lobbies, crashing, poor monetization... there's no reason to keep playing right now.

Harthwain

Magister
If this game released with just the maps + gameplay, and no items, cosmetics or any of the things designed to waste your time or have you gamble, and better stability and other QoL stuff, then it's 10/10.
The problem isn't the items as such - it's that they did the MMO/mobile thing and tied random stats to them, and the process of obtaining these items is truly retarded (and how they handled Mk versions, instead of adding the ability to customize guns and melee styles). Other than that I do love how varied the itemization is, especially between the classes.

Cosmetics were a great idea, but Fatshark executed it terribly: the ones in the standard shop are overpriced "recolors" (you can pick between dark, grey and brown...), the Penances are stupid hard and there aren't many "free" outfits you gain via playing. Which leaves the premium shop, where you can buy different outfits. By paying real money. Convenient, isn't it?

Imagine you could have access to a vast amount of cosmetics to stylize your characters however you would like, all earnable simply by playing the game...

But with the poor balance, items, no private lobbies, crashing, poor monetization... there's no reason to keep playing right now.
You can play for the gameplay. That's what I am doing.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
If this game released with just the maps + gameplay, and no items, cosmetics or any of the things designed to waste your time or have you gamble, and better stability and other QoL stuff, then it's 10/10.
The problem isn't the items as such - it's that they did the MMO/mobile thing and tied random stats to them, and the process of obtaining these items is truly retarded (and how they handled Mk versions, instead of adding the ability to customize guns and melee styles). Other than that I do love how varied the itemization is, especially between the classes.

Cosmetics were a great idea, but Fatshark executed it terribly: the ones in the standard shop are overpriced "recolors" (you can pick between dark, grey and brown...), the Penances are stupid hard and there aren't many "free" outfits you gain via playing. Which leaves the premium shop, where you can buy different outfits. By paying real money. Convenient, isn't it?

Imagine you could have access to a vast amount of cosmetics to stylize your characters however you would like, all earnable simply by playing the game...

You can play for the gameplay. That's what I am doing.

Once upon a time, devs used rpg-style progression, items and mechanics to enhance the depth of their games, but the cynical part of me is now completely convinced those things are there simply to extend your playing time -> increase the possibility you might buy something from a cash shop.

Like, look at the sheer audacity of them putting the paid cosmetic shop inbetween your spawn point and the item store. It's like they don't even try to disguise it!

Also, while the gameplay is fun, horde games are (for me at least) best enjoyed on the highest difficulties. At a certain point, even dark/hi-intensity Heresy is no longer a real challenge (if you have a competent team). So naturally I want to play Damnation, but the long wait times, lack of a class queue and no private lobbies means that's dead.

Half the time you end up playing with bots, or clueless level 20s, or people doing suicidal penance runs, or four zealots (In my experience zealots are the most represented class in higher difficulties).

And there's no real incentive to play harder difficulties since the rewards are lackluster/pointless.

>unlock weapon
>go to buy it
>"lelel you have to wait 30 mins for the store to refresh at which point you might have a chance to buy it"

Hopefully steam accepts the refund request with 6 hours on record. What the FLYING FUCK WERE THEY FUCKING THINKING? Don't even care about the money just don't want the devs to get it for this retarded joke of a system. Is this modern mobile game design?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's like they don't even try to disguise it!
This seems to be the #1 motto for the entire release: let's screw the players as hard as we can for as much as we can, and not waste any effort trying to disguise it. Then say we "just forgot" to not be predators, and dial back our excesses bit by bit, remove a FOMO timer here, add a premium currency purchase tier there, until we reach the exact point of equilibrium where public perception is barely good enough that people keep buying the game. And then screw as hard as we can for as much as we can with whatever shitty practices are left, because the players have shown they'll tolerate it.

It would be pathetic if it wasn't so likely to work - but game devs will never go wrong strategizing on the stupidity of consumers. :(

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
As for Solo Mode, we are actively working on it. While it technically could work now, we are not happy with its state yet, and we want to ensure the solo experience lives up to your expectations. Right now, it does not, and we would do the game a disservice by implementing it.

Whelp, I'll be waiting, then.

Codex Year of the Donut
Like, look at the sheer audacity of them putting the paid cosmetic shop inbetween your spawn point and the item store. It's like they don't even try to disguise it!
This is how grocery stores are designed. Take note of what you have to pass through to buy some bread, milk, and eggs the next time you go shopping.
If they were designed for convenience, these items would be next to the entrance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom