Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Darktide - co-op action from Vermintide devs

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'll take that as a, 'No, Crispy, I have no desire to play this game with you, although I reserve the right to comment about it.'

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Is there any sense that they rolled back their general gouge 'em gouge 'em anti-consumer vibe? Or did they just make the gameplay barely functional to bump up their reviews to "Mixed" and retain whales and fanboys?
They haven't updated the cosmetics shop in months.

I recently fired it up again to see if it's been improved, and, to my surprise, it has been, at least from a technical standpoint. Numerous patches seemed to have stabilized the game's performance and its appearance. Even in heavy action my system is sustaining 120fps at 1440p, everything maxed out and DLSS set to Automatic.
Well, "performance" mode for DLSS renders a 1440p image at 720p (and there's an even lower resolution of DLSS available), so I'm not sure this is saying much.

Anyone interested in co-op'ing in it? I'm notoriously unreliable in just about everything, so bear that in mind, but if you want to stumble around blindly in the game with me and probably have people yelling at us for not knowing what the fuck we're doing, well, reply then, damn it!
Ehh, I could do at least a few matches to see what's changed. Haven't played since release.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Well, "performance" mode for DLSS renders a 1440p image at 720p (and there's an even lower resolution of DLSS available), so I'm not sure this is saying much.
In a game whose action and thus framerate is of paramount importance, consistently high framerates at the cost of a barely perceptible degree of visual quality is quite acceptable. Just like with CP2077, the tradeoff is well worth it. It makes the game eminently smoother, almost negates the need for aggressive anti-aliasing, and isn't nearly as drastic of a sacrifice visually as you're implying it to be.

In general, DLSS just works.

Anything lower than the highest Quality mode of DLSS looks incredibly bad and blurry to me to the point where I feel like I need glasses (especially for a first person game where I'm staring at a close up environment). I agree FPS is important, I always manage my settings for >100, but saying you're running it at 1440p just fine is misleading. Your screen resolution could just as easily be 8k but upsampled from 720p, doesn't mean you're "running" the game at 8k.

Maybe they improved performance, or maybe they just tuned DLSS to be more aggressive in lowering render resolution to keep FPS up. Lots of devs nowadays are relying on DLSS as a huge fucking crutch.

Latelistener

Arcane
Quality usually means 66%, then 58%, 50% and 33% for Balanced, Performance and Ultra Performance. No reason to change the defaults when you got the full range.

Also, in some games or through some hooks you can set it to 100% thus turning it into DLAA.

However, the real problem is not that it makes image blurry. The real problem are visual artifacts when you move. You may not notice them at first if you don't know where to look though.

They tried to negate this in newer versions, but it also depends on the game you're playing.

Also, some games require manual .dll replacement with newer versions for better results (Mechwarrior 5 for example).

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I mean do you want me to take a screenshot with my settings displayed on the screen? Do I need to record a video to prove to you the game looks good and runs smoothly with DLSS set to Auto?

Of all the things to complain about this game, yikes.

"Looks good" isn't objective. I find Doom 2 to look nice.

At the very least set DLSS to something static so you know what the game is actually running at before you try to talk about whether it performs well. Right now you're telling us that the game seems to perform well when run in a resolution somewhere between 1440p and 480p. I would hope that you could manage at least 100 FPS within that range.

However, the real problem is not that it makes image blurry. The real problem are visual artifacts when you move. You may not notice them at first if you don't know where to look though.
Yeah, the real problem is that is makes the image blurry as fuck when the render resolution is too low. It's especially noticable and awful in an FPS game where you have a big weapon model right in your face that is supposed to be highly detailed. Artifacts in motion are just another problem, though fairly rare from what I've seen.

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
DLSS on:

37M8M7t.jpg

DLSS off:

lOlKwFN.jpg

Please notice the framerate counter.

What more do you want?

What more do you want?

Why are you asking that when I already told you?

At the very least set DLSS to something static so you know what the game is actually running at before you try to talk about whether it performs well.

Both those images look pretty bad to me when I look at them on my 1440p monitor. I'm guessing its just jpg compression though.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll take that as a, 'No, Crispy, I have no desire to play this game with you, although I reserve the right to comment about it.'
PM me if you want to try to get a Vermintide 2 group together, but no, I have no desire to give these devs any more of my money after the blatantly predatory bullshit they pulled and just as blatantly and pathetically lied about. Note that that one instance of anticonsumerism is not an isolated behavior on their part, just one that's easy to point to. Skim my other posts in the thread for more of me being pissed off at them if you want to go further down the rabbit hole.

I'm honestly willing to listen if there seems to be genuine contrition, or at minimum they took out the manipulative design elements I hate (do you still have to walk through a FOMO "shared world" gauntlet of randos and RMT merchants to get to the game?). Unless any of that happened, after seeing how boldly they disrespect their customers (whether or not at the behest of majority shareholders and infamous mobile-game predators Tencent) the very idea of supporting Fatshark makes me sick.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'm guessing its just jpg compression though.
I'm going to take this as an admission that, 'Yes, Crispy, you proved your point, rather succinctly I might add, and, in fact, since JPEG compression is a thing, wow, I really was wrong on this subject. DLSS does look p. fuckin' good. I wonder if I have something wrong with my monitor. Or my eyes. What the fuck? DO I HAVE SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY EYES??'

Edit: Oops, now I feel bad for posting this right after you invited me to play the game with you on Steam some time. :lol:

(I don't have this on Steam, btw; see above)

I'm guessing its just jpg compression though.
I'm going to that this as an admission that, 'Yes, Crispy, you proved your point, rather succinctly I might add, and, in fact, since JPEG compression is a thing, wow, I really was wrong on this subject. DLSS does look p. fuckin' good. I wonder if I have something wrong with my monitor. Or my eyes. What the fuck? DO I HAVE SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY EYES??'
You didn't have a point, you supplied information that the game played acceptably somewhere between a resolution level of 480p and 1440p. That doesn't tell us anything. You can't make a point with that. Imagine if game minimum requirements stated that the game was meant to run somewhere between 480p and 1440p. Then you supplied a screenshot that added nothing to the conversation because its compressed so far that both look awful.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1361210/discussions/0/3417683648799054327/#c3417683648802245893=

With the game being released on day 1 on Gamepass, I wonder if there will at least be some crossplay on PC between Steam and Gamepass players.
We're not saying it's not possible, or not being explored, but we're also not going to say "yes it's in, Day 1". We like the idea of it and are exploring it, but don't expect it.

haha, wow, what a fucking joke.

2023 and games can't even provide a normal fucking server browser or something.

ADL

Prophet
Anyone still playing this?
Waiting for the content release at the end of May. It's slowly getting to the point of being worthwhile but for anyone observing from the sidelines I'd recommend just waiting for an entire year. Hopefully they'll have some new maps and classes by then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom