Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Darktide - co-op action from Vermintide devs

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
If I could just host my own damned private game and fill out my squad with AI bots I'd actually play this.

As it is, either I'm too retarded or the other members of my PUG are too retarded to finish even basic missions.

Harthwain

Magister
If I could just host my own damned private game and fill out my squad with AI bots I'd actually play this.

As it is, either I'm too retarded or the other members of my PUG are too retarded to finish even basic missions.
This ain't Vermintide. Bots are terrible in Darktide. You only get Veterans and they are wearing prison rags and basic shit. You're better off playing with people. Just lower the difficulty and get some better items first. It will help you get rid of enemies on higher difficulties.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmmmm, it's almost as if they're forcing you to make social connections in a pathetic bid to increase longevity.

Harthwain

Magister
Hmmmm, it's almost as if they're forcing you to make social connections in a pathetic bid to increase longevity.
I'd argue they simply failed to implement bots properly (and still didn't get around to doing it!).

I mean, just look at how good Vermintide 2 bots are. There is no objective reason for Darktide not have something similar, other than them not having time to make bots work similarly to how they did in Vermintide 2, because they had to push the game out of the door for some reason.

Yeah Vermintide bots are surprisingly competent given that the uniqueness of the melee system. I can run them on Cataclysm difficulty and generally only have problems with monsters. Dunno how they managed to screw it up for Darktide, you'd think a more ranged focus would make it easier to program bots. Aimbotting is easy and they'll happily do impressive snipes of fast moving things in Vermintide.

I'd argue they simply failed to implement bots properly (and still didn't get around to doing it!).
It's both. The bots suck, but they deliberately disabled solo play. If you have two or three people you're allowed to make a private game and fill the empty slots with bots, but if you're on your own it has to be public. They're forcing people to play multiplayer whether they want to or not.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The gunplay in this game was so satisfying that it's a shame the rest of it sucked balls.

Harthwain

Magister
Yeah, "for some reason" they found themselves sadly unable to provide even a mediocre solo experience. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Well, let's look at the facts then:

1) FatShark has a history of releasing unifinished mess of a game that gets fixed as years go by. Nothing surprising on that front:
2) They clearly didn't finish the core in-game mechanics such as crafting(!). Also, no promised weapon attachments/modifications. But the premium shop to buy stuff with real money way fully operational since day one!

3) There were literally no bots in the press release version and the "release" version only has rudimentary bots.

So it ain't just about them being "unable to provide even a mediocre solo experience". The problems are much deeper than that. I bet they started running out of money and decided to rush release to get that cash influx from the release + in-game premium shop to keep afloat.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah. To be clear Harthwain I don't intend to suggest that Fatshark could have snapped their fingers and inserted good bots; it's just that ... even if they could, why would they when it doesn't support their predatory agenda?

Harthwain

Magister
Yeah. To be clear Harthwain I don't intend to suggest that Fatshark could have snapped their fingers and inserted good bots; it's just that ... even if they could, why would they when it doesn't support their predatory agenda?
Well, for one because having decent bots is good when you don't have full team for whatever reason until it fills up (IF it fills up). I know that, because that's exactly how I was operating when playing Vermintide 2: I would start a game and play with bots until more players joined and finish the map as a whole group.

It also allowed you to customize your own playstyle versus what kind of bots you brought in. Sadly, it looks like Darktide took a few steps back in this aspect as well, because with fewers classes and not enough perks there isn't as much build variety as it was the case in Vermintide 2, where I enjoyed experimenting with subclasses.

So they are directly copying the Chaos Spawn from Vermintide to Darktide. Do that with the rest of the monsters and the levels and maybe the game will be good. They've only got about 95% of the work left to do.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So people still playing this, is the new content up and worth a re-download?

I'm going to assume no because it sounds like all they added was one new map and one enemy type.

randir14

Augur
The new level is kind of half assed and easy, it's just one long set of corridors with no major set pieces. The final section even allows your team to just turtle on a walkway and defend until the timer runs out.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
The vibes continue to deteriorate. The playerbase is near unanimously trashing this latest update, we still don't have any sort of roadmap or communications telling us what to expect in the future, and there is supposedly another big Swedish national holiday starting June 14th likely meaning another patch drought.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
Wanted to ask what's going on and then found this 5 years old post on Reddit:

They always follow the same cycle.
  • They overpromise, and tell us all the cool things they'll do.
  • The game will come out with serious bugs/issues. They'll tell us they'll fix them.
  • To their credit, they'll put out some fixes. They'll bring it up to the point it's acceptable, but still not where it should be.
  • For current gen games, they will then 100% disappear and start work on the console ports. This will take anywhere from 3-6 months, where you will never see anything out of Fatshark. No fixes, no patches, no PR. The community will fully die off to sub1k numbers despite how popular the game was.
  • The console version will finally come out with all the fixes the core game needs, and it'll be a true 1.0 product. Despite Fatshark saying the console versions weren't slowing them since launch of the game, their patching will improve tenfold. We will get huge patches/DLC every week or so, and the game will become amazing and stable in weeks. We will all be amazed by how much Fatshark has turned it around even compared to their first few patches, never realizing they had maybe 10% of the studio doing those first few patches.
  • The console version will be immediatly abandoned and will never receive half the patches of the PC version. Even if they sell well. It is a mystery.
  • If the game didn't initially sell well, it'll get disappeared and never talked about again. Seriously Fatshark will just pretend the game never existed and start talking about their next product on the corpse of the now fully dead game.

Seems legit. I'll probably buy it with 75% discount in 2025. Assuming they'll get back to it.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
Yeah, that's basically what happened with VT2 as well but on a lower scale. The game's great now but it took a long time to get here. Even excusing the horrible launch you had updates like Winds of Magic that were just bad.
The base game is still very fun and you can easily put a few dozen hours in it but if you can wait for some more updates and a discount go for it.

copebot

Learned
I haven't played much since launch but just got back into this. I can't tell what has been changed balance-wise but I think most people are still complaining because the loot system is still really bad. I think that FS missed that what people like a lot from VT2 is that the loot never really mattered. I think the other part that is rough is that there are still only four classes, and there is only really only a couple types of enemies that are dangerous: specials and ranged packs. There is one class that is the best at dealing with specials and ranged packs (veteran). The other classes are just along for the ride and horde clear.

With VT2, there was a clear "best class" (Waystalker basically), but you were limited to one of them per team, and the other choices for elf were also really good in their own ways. The way that this is set up, there is one strong class, one OK/situational class (zealot), and a couple semi-broken classes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom