Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ChildInTime

Learned
Necrons have the most advanced technology. Seriously, some really OP shit.
I remember them having some holomap of the galaxy or some shit where they could just point at a star and it would go supernova, why don't they use all that incredibly advanced tech is a different question.

Humbaba

Arcane
Orks basically scale to infinity don't they? If the bozz can keep a WAAAGH going for long enough, they will all get bigger and stronger and their "belief" magic will just become stronger as well?

An Ork infestation is basically impossible to get rid of short of blowing up the entire planet, meaning once your homeworld has Orks, it will never stop having Orks. Canonically Orks would overrun the galaxy if they united as one single army.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here is another hot take for the anti casters here who follow the emperor; YOU ARE WORSHIPING AN CASTER. The emperor is not only an pysker, but also the strongest and deadliest psyker
Then why do a thousand psykers need to be sacrificed to him constantly. Checkmate casterfag.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Orks basically scale to infinity don't they? If the bozz can keep a WAAAGH going for long enough, they will all get bigger and stronger and their "belief" magic will just become stronger as well?

An Ork infestation is basically impossible to get rid of short of blowing up the entire planet, meaning once your homeworld has Orks, it will never stop having Orks. Canonically Orks would overrun the galaxy if they united as one single army.

Yeah but from what I understand if you stomp the current boss, the spore ork left over is basically fighting with stone age tech so for most of civilized world it won't matter at all. I guess except Exodites Eldar who is pre-industrial in tech so maybe some muscle bound ork that is bullet proof would prove to be a problem.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Here is another hot take for the anti casters here who follow the emperor; YOU ARE WORSHIPING AN CASTER. The emperor is not only an pysker, but also the strongest and deadliest psyker
Then why do a thousand psykers need to be sacrificed to him constantly. Checkmate casterfag.

To maintain him alive and stronger. But even if every single psyker is sacrified to him. This doesn't change the fact. Your god is a psyker!!!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

yeah, no wizard ever sacrificed other wizards before in the history of wizardry

Humbaba

Arcane

Yeah but from what I understand if you stomp the current boss, the spore ork left over is basically fighting with stone age tech so for most of civilized world it won't matter at all. I guess except Exodites Eldar who is pre-industrial in tech so maybe some muscle bound ork that is bullet proof would prove to be a problem.
Orks will pick a new boss and go on as usual, their tech is not dependent on their leader, they have a literally instinctual knowledge of how to build their stuff (their meks do at any rate).

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Here's how the Tyranid Hivemind will "win" W40k:

arrive.

Regarding Nids the problem is that they need biomass and suck planets dry right?

From the space battle material, is there any reason Spesh Mahreens is just not using their Exterminatus weapon on the Nids' ships? Because as I read it needs tentacle and stuff to suck things up to the big ship and one way to prevent the Nids from growing that has been done is just to bombard the planet they are near on just to reprieve them of biomass.

Why not kill the ships then?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
All the races in 40k are OP to an extent that they would represent extinction-level threats to a more conventional setting.

Except the Tau and space dwarves. I can't help but think that the Leagues are too... bland(?). Unless more comes out, it seems like they're just fantasy dwarfs with all the cool stuff stripped out.

Missed an opportunity just to make them a race of chem-fueled slayers tbh.

Sunri

Liturgist
Game crashed after 3h of playing.

r/Grimdank - asking real question here

Fellow old ones, I assure you. Giving these eldar the ability to cum from having their ears touched is vital to winning against the c’tan.”

Humbaba

Arcane
I can't help but think that the Leagues are too... bland(?). Unless more comes out, it seems like they're just fantasy dwarfs with all the cool stuff stripped out.
You're not the only one, I think the nu-squats look incredibly fucking boring, with the exception of maybe 2 minis but they just look like dwarf marines.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
The Beast still wasn't even anywhere near how strong the orks can potentially be, gives one an idea of how crazy the original orks were when the old ones made them.

And that's why necrons needed those crazily stupidly OP weapons to win their war, and even then it broke the galaxy as enslavers and other lovely mind horrors poured through the tears in reality to feed on everyone's delicious sentience.
This is also why imo necrons don't typically use their super OP weapons even for those factions who still have them: not only are they stupidly overkill to use just to flex on some primitives but the consequences of using them likely ain't worth it.

For that holomap where you can just destroy stars with the click of a button for example, ok, you stomped out the equivalent of an ant hill, and the ensuing death has not only repercussions in the warp but the light show attracted another tyranid tendril or maybe something even worst, GJ!

HEre is a hot take. IS not IF chaos will win. Is WHEN. The humanity could exterminate ALL Xenos and still, each human born is more sexual desire, more ambition, more lust and so on which will feed chaos. While each demon killed just reforges. And when the emperor dies, all of the FTL travel of humanity will be lost and many planets will be dominated by powerful psykers, others by Xenos and them, turned into chaos hellholes.
Yeah it's a safe bet so long as they are sentient beings in the galaxy, chaos will always live on in some form. The only real way to defeat chaos is to either starve them out completely or seal the warp from reality (so a tyranid or necron win) or to reset the warp to factory settings.

As for the Emperor dieing... Assuming that he doesn't become his own sort of warp entity then really this will just be the Old Night v2.0. Which isn't a win condition for chaos mostly because the chaos gods benefit way more from the iom in its current form then they do without it, and a defeated IoM leaves the door open for tyranids to swoop in unchallenged.

And yeah new space dorfs are boring, i never understood what the problem was with the squats being "funny looking", at least it gave them character rather then being DRG knockoffs.

Peachcurl

Cipher

arrive.

Regarding Nids the problem is that they need biomass and suck planets dry right?

From the space battle material, is there any reason Spesh Mahreens is just not using their Exterminatus weapon on the Nids' ships? Because as I read it needs tentacle and stuff to suck things up to the big ship and one way to prevent the Nids from growing that has been done is just to bombard the planet they are near on just to reprieve them of biomass.

There's different exterminatus weapons, I'm fairly sure most of them are not that useful in space, i.e., need an atmosphere.

Also: too many nids.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

arrive.

There's different exterminatus weapons, I'm fairly sure most of them are not that useful in space, i.e., need an atmosphere.

Also: too many nids.
Weapons in 40k scale in strength according to writer/game balance/fuckery, not due to logic.

Logically, there's no reason why the nu-Necrons (who fought the War in Heaven against the Old Farts, and pokemoned the c'tan) don't just simply kill everyone, Chaos included.

40k is a setting where the status quo matters most, so GW can keep selling plastic bits.

People keep saying "oh what if 40k invades Stars War/Star Trek" low hanging fruit, and I'm like bitch, what if The Culture invades 40k.

:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:

Trithne

Erudite
40k, traditionally, follows a simple rule: the galaxy is so vast it cannot be counted and effects are generally very local.

The Necrons have a weapon that can blow up a planet at a whim? Okay. They do that. No-one, except the people on that planet, notices. In a little bit neighbouring systems will notice that communications and tithes have ceased, and might go check it out. Eventually the Administratum will get a message stating "Planet destroyed. Update records". A few decades later, the records are updated.

This is the spirit of the original Rogue Trader; a galaxy so huge that you could see or do horrible things, but on the scale of the galaxy as a whole, you've affected only a tiny bit. Over the years, ad I've mentioned, the setting got shrunk to what GW had models for. This is what owlcat is aiming for; you're a big player, but only in your small pond of the Koronus Expanse. And there are other big players around.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
T

To maintain him alive and stronger. But even if every single psyker is sacrified to him. This doesn't change the fact. Your god is a psyker!!!
This is exactly what a butthurt psyker would say

Sykar

Arcane
T

If a Psyker is hurt in the butt the Commisar missed!
:happytrollboy:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
T

If a Psyker is hurt in the butt the Commisar missed!
:happytrollboy:
Or it's an average night in Slaanesh's realm. Or the Rock
:troll:

ArchAngel

Arcane
From what I have watched about 40K lore, Necrons are by far the strongest faction.
On paper. Their arcane tech is superior but only small percentage of their empire is awake in the galaxy, in fact there is no empire anymore since their own emperor is in self-exile and relinquished his control codes. As a race they are maddened and splintered into warring dynasties, there is no united front, only planet-states. This is how their OP dooms day weapons like planet killers can't be used effectively and get destroyed. For that reason orks are far likely to be the strongest (when they unify for a galaxy wide war) or tyranids when their full host arrives in the galaxy.
A lot of IF here while you shit on Necrons without using any IF. Then lets says IF Necron leader returns and unifies them (read: take control of them again), they will shit on everyone.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Yvraine and her sub faction are a weird case and skub for that reason. We are supposed to believe dark eldar of all people can turn a new leaf after being told of some prophecy.
Teehee i have tortured and raped millions of people in the worst ways possible for centuries whilst living a purely selfish and hedonistic lifestyle but i'm totally good and clean now, trust me, i don't even wear people's faces as bras anymore (hell until yvraine's backstory I didn't even know it was possible for eldar to just bounce from being a craftworld banshee to a wych so casually).
That new faction is really dumb, yep. They were supposed to be a fucked up death cult that was meant to kill every eldar to summon a warp god to kill the previous warp god they spawned into existence, and see nothing wrong with that plan. Now though it sounds like an excuse to unify all eldar into one banner (because it is).
In before Age of Sigmar 2.0.

-star trek utopia phase ends when galactic travel breaks down and almost all alien species take advantage to utterly buttrape humans, setting the scene for their future xenophobia
Supposedly Men of Iron, aka discount mass produced Terminators, went rogue and caused a Dune against humies.
There are rumors that the Eldar made the formerly controlled not-Terminators that humies had go crazy and thus destroy the human faction, because they saw them as a potential threat or because they could.
Other (dumb) rumors say that these kill-bots went crazy because apparently one of their components was shaped as a star and that was enough for them to be chaotically possessed.

-emperor kills his proto space marines and makes real space marines (additions like longer lifespans and resistances to environmental effects made them more suitable for intergalactic campaigns)
I read another (and saner) theory that he repurposed them instead as SM.

-emperor leads his space marines on a space jihad to exterminate (almost) all aliens and absorb whatever leftover human breakaways existed
To be fair, most of the current alien races are lol-evil and deserve it.

The only acceptable boobs in the setting are from the big-boobed space nuns.

No you can't see them. Or touch them. Or do anything with them. Be happy they exist.

The Emperor protects. His boobs. Those are his.
Bolter Bitches can marry, actually.

I wouldn't be surprised if shutting down a diplomatic route would mean no support (or would mean increased interference) from the xenos. Then again, I also wouldn't be surprised if having a diplomatic relations with the xenos could bite you in the ass at some point (at least enough for you to be a nuisance). There are already theories related to diplomacy and the possiblity of having a Space Marine in your party, and I assume there could be more subtle things, provided developers decide to go down that path (and they should - as a Rogue Trader you ought to have the option to do criminal stuff too. It's part of the fun).
I would like it if being a good buddy with the eldar follower ends up with her inevitably betraying you anyway, because that's what they do. They're arrogant to the point of stupidity.

Necrons have the most advanced technology. Seriously, some really OP shit.
Agreed, although Dark Age Tech is also stupid crazy, such as teleporting projectiles into enemies or so I read.
Weren't Baneblades supposed to be DAoT light tanks?

Yeah there was an ork version of Emperor (sort of but not really) called the Beast, he spawned from the biggest WAAAGH to date. He was ridiculously big and the only way they could kill him is by sacrificing primarch in the process.
Dumb thing that shouldn't exist, as it made Orks into Alien Space Marines.
IIRC orks were dangerous because they used to have "brainies" that allowed the Old Ones to control them with precise moves.

The only real way to defeat chaos is to either starve them out completely or seal the warp from reality (so a tyranid or necron win) or to reset the warp to factory settings.

I would say that if you killed all of Chaos' followers, and stomped down on any extreme acts of evilness and/or debauchery, the Chaos Gods would indeed starve to death.
A "normal" life can't satisfy them.

But it depends on the writer. In the first edition eldar could ally with humies and even interbreed, supposedly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom