Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Is it explained why are only Humans so weak to Chaos? And should not Warp and Chaos have access to more than one galaxy? In theory you should be able to travel to other galaxies through warp and warp Gods should be powered by life forms from there as well!? Or did Tyranids already suck everything dry and only Milky Way is left?
I heard some theories, but don't quote me on it.
Tyranids were drawn to this galaxy because of the light emitted by the Astronomican. They also probably ate the whole fucking galaxy where they originated from...
The Chaos Gods are currently limited to influencing only this galaxy. Whether they will influence other galaxies when they grow in strength remains to be seen.
Yeah, Chaos is some scary shit when done by the right author and artists.

The entire Horus Heresy is a deconstruction of Lucifer's fall from grace and the weakness of humans to Chaos is likely a take on the concept of free will.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Is it explained why are only Humans so weak to Chaos? And should not Warp and Chaos have access to more than one galaxy? In theory you should be able to travel to other galaxies through warp and warp Gods should be powered by life forms from there as well!? Or did Tyranids already suck everything dry and only Milky Way is left?
Tyranids were drawn to this galaxy because of the light emitted by the Astronomican. They also probably ate the whole fucking galaxy where they originated from...
The Chaos Gods are currently limited to influencing only this galaxy. Whether they will influence other galaxies when they grow in strength remains to be seen.

The entire Horus Heresy is a deconstruction of Lucifer's fall from grace and the weakness of humans to Chaos is likely a take on the concept of free will.
Indeed.
I wonder if Horus is straight-up Lucifer and Sanguinius is Jesus?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Indeed.
I wonder if Horus is straight-up Lucifer and Sanguinius is Jesus?
All the tongue-in-cheek references to Sanguinalia seem to support that paralell.

Mauman

Scholar
Ultramarines are the vanilla good guys, almost bordering on what passes for wholesome in 40k.
.. while murdering xenos children (like Eldar one).
Yeah, well. In 40k a "crime against humanity" is one *not* murdering the enemy civilians.
This is probably why people like Tau, they do not murder civilians if they decide to join "The Greater Good". Not awesome but still better than just getting wiped just because.
Yeah, they just brainwash and neuter (literally) them instead.

Aarwolf

Learned

So, to sum things up, is it safe to say that immaterium is made of emotions etc of various peoples of the Milky Way and if Tyranids destroy Humans, Eldar and other races here, the Chaos as we know it would cease to exist?

I'm not very good at wh40k lore (I know basic things).

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So, to sum things up, is it safe to say that immaterium is made of emotions etc of various peoples of the Milky Way and if Tyranids destroy Humans, Eldar and other races here, the Chaos as we know it would cease to exist?

I'm not very good at wh40k lore (I know basic things).

IMO would become extremely weak and dormant till another sentient race evolves. New to WH40k, so I'm probably wrong, is only a guess.

Sykar

Arcane
And Faggot Marines are the gayest of them all!
18j30xm8z4qkmjpg.jpg

:troll:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Eldars are kind of vulnerable to Chaos given the length they need to go to to avoid getting gobbled by Slaanesh.
Orks kind of have their own version of Khorne.
What I don't get is how does the Imperium avoids fueling Khorne will the "murder all Xenos" + "It is better that thousands of innocent die than risk one heretic escape".

Reinhardt

Arcane
Eldars are kind of vulnerable to Chaos given the length they need to go to to avoid getting gobbled by Slaanesh.
What I don't get is how does the Imperium avoids fueling Khorne will the "murder all Xenos" + "It is better that thousands of innocent die than risk one heretic escape".
humans are pragmatic and do this out of necessity, instead of chimping for the sake of chimping like knornites.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
humans are pragmatic and do this out of necessity, instead of chimping for the sake of chimping like knornites.
And also, much of Mankind's emotions are likely siphoned by the Emperor. The atrocities are commited in His name, after all. That is not to say none of that feeds the Chaos Gods. This is their true insidious threat: they are always there, always finding *something* to power them.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
GW doesn't do market research. They just assume something is the case and act on it.

Fun story. In 2003 I worked for a business intelligence company that had a renewal call with GW. Their at the time new head of development joined and told us he was new in the role having worked retail development before in the food industry, and needed the product we were selling to figure out a new strategy for their shops because, and I'm quoting loosely: "these one-man shops with fans behind the counter aren't efficient, they just hang around with their friends and play with the toys instead of making the sale".

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
And also, much of Mankind's emotions are likely siphoned by the Emperor.
Not necessarily emotions, but the sheer amount of people in the Imperium that believe in the Emperor. That's what powers him and protects humanity against Chaos. Belief in the Emperor.

"The Emperor protects."

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Focusing on marines was a mistake imo.
They make up less than 1% of the Imperium's population, but receive most of the attention and marketing.
The Imperial Guard should have been the focus. You know, actual humans instead of boring ubermensch with daddy issues.

Fantasy, for it's flaws, did try to spread the love around a little with factions instead of muh asstardes.

Fortunately, I don't see a single Space Marine in the player's party so far, so that's promising I guess. From what I read in this thread the only marine so far has been a chaos marine who was basically a mini-boss, and that's how they should be; extremely rare, but very dangerous encounters. Instead of 15 point per model cannon fodder that deploys en masse on a planet that's just begging to get wiped out with a well placed nuke.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
They make up less than 1% of the Imperium's population, but receive most of the attention and marketing.
The Imperial Guard should have been the focus. You know, actual humans instead of boring ubermensch with daddy issues.

Fantasy, for it's flaws, did try to spread the love around a little with factions instead of muh asstardes.

Fortunately, I don't see a single Space Marine in the player's party so far, so that's promising I guess. From what I read in this thread the only marine so far has been a chaos marine who was basically a mini-boss, and that's how they should be; extremely rare, but very dangerous encounters. Instead of 15 point per model cannon fodder that deploys on mass on a planet that's just begging to get wiped out with a well placed nuke.
SM are not even 0.1% , there is only like few million of them in the million worlds spanning Imperium.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Fortunately, I don't see a single Space Marine in the player's party so far, so that's promising I guess. From what I read in this thread the only marine so far has been a chaos marine who was basically a mini-boss, and that's how they should be; extremely rare, but very dangerous encounters. Instead of 15 point per model cannon fodder that deploys on mass on a planet that's just begging to get wiped out with a well placed nuke.
SM are not even 0.1% , there is only like few million of them in the million worlds spanning Imeprium.
Yeah, it's something ridiculously small, and yet they show up everywhere. It's kind of silly, especially when they are supposed to operate in small, rapid strike squads yet are often portrayed in engaging in mass battles with thousands of marines fighting at once.
Because that can't possibly go wrong. /s

The setting seems a lot less grimdark and dangerous when a massive army of marines with apparently unlimited recruits and supplies can just teleport out of nowhere and beat an enemy while receiving no significant casualties, which would otherwise impair such repeated mass deployments.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

SM are not even 0.1% , there is only like few million of them in the million worlds spanning Imeprium.
Yeah, it's something ridiculously small, and yet they show up everywhere. It's kind of silly, especially when they are supposed to operate in small, rapid strike squads yet are often portrayed in engaging in mass battles with thousands of marines fighting at once.

The setting seems a lot less grimdark and dangerous when a massive army of marines with apparently unlimited recruits and supplies can just teleport out of nowhere and beat an enemy while receiving no significant casualties, which would otherwise impair such repeated mass deployments.
Actually, their low numbers don't make sense either:
Having a huge capital ship ferry a dozen space marines (or even a company) feels like a huge waste of resources. They need to have a Matt Ward level of plot armor to achieve anything with such small numbers.
The fact that the Ultramarine chapter is supposed to control a vast amount of space (500 heavily populated worlds), with the total number of Space Marines equivalent to a single regiment of today makes them glorified administrators donning a fancy armor in a few occasions.

You would probably end up with less than 1 Space Marine for 1 Billion inhabitant or something like that (like 1-3 millions total marines for the Imperium, which spans millions of inhabited planets).
As a comparison, that's quite a few orders of magnitude less than your usual commando force, which are not even supposed to spearhead heavy assault (because Space Marines or not, drop podding on a planet should end up with a high casulaty count), or even regarding 40K numbers, that would be 10 Space Marines for 1 titan or so.

So Space Marines need to have much higher number, or be considered militarily irrelevant, or they need to have much higher numbers.
Actually, they make more sense as RPG protagonists than a useful military force.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Actually, their low numbers don't make sense either:
Having a huge capital ship ferry a dozen space marines (or even a company) feels like a huge waste of resources. They need to have a Matt Ward level of plot armor to achieve anything with such small numbers.
The fact that the Ultramarine chapter is supposed to control a vast amount of space (500 heavily populated worlds), with the total number of Space Marines equivalent to a single regiment of today makes them glorified administrators donning a fancy armor in a few occasions.

You would probably end up with less than 1 Space Marine for 1 Billion inhabitant or something like that (like 1-3 millions total marines for the Imperium, which spans millions of inhabited planets).
As a comparison, that's quite a few orders of magnitude less than your usual commando force, which are not even supposed to spearhead heavy assault (because Space Marines or not, drop podding on a planet should end up with a high casulaty count), or even regarding 40K numbers, that would be 10 Space Marines for 1 titan or so.

So Space Marines need to have much higher number, or be considered militarily irrelevant, or they need to have much higher numbers.
Actually, they make more sense as RPG protagonists than a useful military force.
Well Emperor conquered Earth with like 500 Thunder Warriors and they are even weaker than classic SM, not to mention Primaris SM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom