Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'll try be be as nice as possible, so starting by baby step : please hire, summon or kidnapp someone that actually know the importance of lightning and contrast , be it for the portrait or the artistic direction in general. This was unforgivable :
How do you like our Rogue Trader arts?
More of this
gX2Nk4gn5MH0ZT0r.jpg

sisters-of-battle-codex.jpg

And less of the Nu-40k modern style.

Camel

Scholar
This is why we can't have nice things.
This is why the KKKodex denizens scared out most of the devs. Look how they treat one of the few remaining big studio devs.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
No, RPG Codex is not bad, it was just a metaphor
Can you please tell the rest of the Owlcat team I hope to God Putin bags all of you, as well as your families and friends, and uses you to soak up Ukranian bullets and clean minefields with your limbs so actual humans don't need to risk their lives?

Also, for as long as I live, I will never forgive you for what you are doing to 40k. We all know you're going to defile it, pozz it and turn it into another unfunny, woke goyslop virtually indistinguishable from all the other shit out on the market today.

I can picture the lot of you masturbating to a picture of that faggot ADB, projecting your daddy issues onto the God Emperor like he does and going "akshually the Imperium are the bad guys" and "Slaanesh rights are human rights". I would have preferred any other developer to get the rights to make a 40k cRPG, even the animals in the BioWare pigpen, because they're all better than you clowns.

Go fuck yourself you disingenuous, two-faced, subhuman piece of corporate shit.
What he said.

skaraher

Prophet
Each mechanic has its pros and cons. For Rogue Trader, we decided to focus exclusively on the turn-based combat system. We've introduced some innovative features, such as move preview, as well as visible hit trajectory and hit chance. Also, we're actively working on combat skills and abilities. We want there to be fewer battles than there were in Pathfinder, but each of them should be an interesting encounter for the player.
Less (trash) combat like in WotR is a good start if true. WotR is unique among RPGs like it has way too much combat and way too much dialogue and text, being the first game that made me to stop reading text. It also has more trash combat than DA:O which is some achievement. Tons of boring combat in badly designed encounters with sprinkling of plot got stale fast.
I guess it's too much to ask you lot to completely remove the kingdom/crusade/trader mechanic out of your games. So I want to ask a question - will it at least be unobtrusive and not time-consuming?

Please add an option that allows players to skip management systems without missing out on content.

A vast majority of people (at least here) who otherwise enjoy your games find these elements annoying.
Guess Owlcat doesn't scale to your level
:smug:

Technomancer

Liturgist
Guess Owlcat doesn't scale to your level
They do though. Pretty sure that "missed content" part Tyranicon mentioned is due to half-assed execution, but developers acknowledged that their tedious undercooked filler campaign management systems bore many people to death by adding an option to bypass and automate them. It's just they couldn't be arsed to go by each and every individual event and rescript it to happen in said mode, hence "missing content". Doesn't seem like they have the manpower to perfectly support and implement two systems in parallel, so they focus on core one, while the second one is a bit of a hack job.

Sarathiour

Cipher
I'll try be be as nice as possible, so starting by baby step : please hire, summon or kidnapp someone that actually know the importance of lightning and contrast , be it for the portrait or the artistic direction in general. This was unforgivable :
I was at first dubious upon looking at the first concept art, because they looked like a straight copy down to the number of tentacle and spike to post 2010 GW mini. It isn't a bad thing in itself, but you obviously can't just copy paste everything without running in some sort of problem later one. Seems I was wrong because the next batch of concept art where quite good (well, most of them).

I haven't played the alpha, so don't have a definitive answers for the game itself. The model do look better than the pathfinder game, though I do wonder about the "cartoonish" that come with your engine.
There already have been a few page of discussion about the general artistic direction and look of the game around page 100, I think Trans-Financial-Man and InD_ImaginE made good point.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Please add an option that allows players to skip management systems without missing out on content.

A vast majority of people (at least here) who otherwise enjoy your games find these elements annoying.
Hard disagree, KM was fine, and you don't loose much if you decide to skip the minigame entirely.
Crusade mod got more issue, it's too poorly done to be entertaining in any way, and even if you do well, you have to press skip day quite a few time to get the reward (ie the item).
Keep those simple and non-mandatory, but still reward the player who took the time to engage in it, at the condition of the minigame fleshing out the setting or the story.

Last edited:

Humbaba

Arcane
More of this
gX2Nk4gn5MH0ZT0r.jpg

sisters-of-battle-codex.jpg

And less of the Nu-40k modern style.
Shut up fake grognard, modern 40k looks amazing.

rtXJXvs3dA3Hng8s-1250x800.jpg

AD8qVG8ejCDDny4X-1250x800.jpg

kill-team-artwork-7.jpg

ALSO

If I'd have one suggestion to make PLEASE: Wrathfinder dragged its feet so goddamn much, it had toes made of solid fucking LEAD ya feel me. Made my 4 replays a massive chore in the early game. Shorten that pls kthx <<3333

Vatnik Wumao
KM was fine,
Both the kingdom management in Kingmaker and the crusade one in WotR were fine. Issue is that they aren't properly fleshed out systems, but gimmicks. Too barebones to be enjoyed by those that enjoy that sort of stuff (e.g. HoMM fans with the crusading one), so it becomes a mild annoyance for most people regardless of how they feel about it.

Humbaba

Arcane
Crusade had a really great merger of that part of the game and the rest via the relics and items you could find and then use while adventuring. Shame the HoMM minigame was absolutely fucking borked.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

My favourite part of X-COM was the base management.

Suck on that, shorty. In a world of micro-transactions and gacha games, I'm never going to cry about content. <3

(yes, I just typed that out just to be a contrarian)

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Look, chimps couldn't scare the dev. Must have experience leading with rural fauna.
smug.png

Look, simp can't into gradual escalation.
smug.png

We're only on step 3 right now. Give it time.

Questions!

Owlcat_Eyler what's your purpose here? What does Owlcat hope to get out of having a member post on the forums? What kind of Codex member interactions are you hoping for? For instance, does Owlcat want, or care about, gameplay suggestions? Art direction? UI? If so, what kind? Are suggestions for major changes still useful, or are most features locked in at this point?

Is your presence pandering? I don't mean this in a derogatory way yet, I just don't know a better word for what I'm asking. If so, why? The only thing we've done that I could see causing Owlcat to deploy you in that case is our donations to your Kickstarters. Is this just an attempt to maintain good relations for future gibs? If that was the trigger, you can go ahead and tell your bosses there's no point, unless you're an exceptionally thick-skinned dude with a lot of latitude in your allowed forum interactions. Basic-bitch corporate-type interaction with this forum will never have a worthwhile ROI. You'd be better used elsewhere for that - say, at ReEra or NeoGAY.

What time period is RT set in? 41.8k? 13th Crusade? Post-Maledictum?

Infinitron why the fuck can't I ping Eyler with an @? I had to use BB code to do it.

The_Mask

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
@Owlcat_Eyler what's your purpose here? What does Owlcat hope to get out of having a member post on the forums? What kind of Codex member interactions are you hoping for? For instance, does Owlcat want, or care about, gameplay suggestions? Art direction? UI? If so, what kind? Are suggestions for major changes still useful, or are most features locked in at this point?
I doubt that these questions will ever be answered, especially right now as the game is being made.

I guess a question that this person might be able to answer would be something like: why did Owlcat, essentially, stop all communication with us during WOTR? Because, for better or worse, Julia would answer some aspects of our conversations/questions while Kingmaker was hot during her Twitch streams, but then... during WOTR there was basically radio silence. Why?

Did you boys know the game was going to be a mediocre mess?

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
wtf why are developers paying attention to their most active community beyond their official forums/discord???
Was Eyler actually sent by secret president and the interdimensional lizard-people illuminati to peddle decline? Discuss!!

Ryzer

Arcane
POV:
>You are a young owlcat developer spending your free time in an internet forum discussing about RPGs,.
>You find out a place called RPGCodex, you think to yourself "Might be a good place for hanging out, after all I'll get some recognition for working at one of their most beloved RPG developers
>You decide to sign up and create an account, "what could go wrong?" you ask to yourself.
> Infinitron tries to cover up the background and sells the website as best as he could
> You are reassured: "This place is great, it's full of hardcore RPGs players"
> You decide to lurk into the Owlcat threads : Oh boy little did he know.
> 30 Minutes in, you get harassed and insulted simply for existing. You are wondering "What's wrong with these people."
> 1 hours in, "Man these guys are insane, I hope at owlcat, they are going to pay me for this"
> 1 day in, "Why are they threatening me? What have I done to them?"
To be continued

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
POV:
>You are a young owlcat developer spending your free time in an internet forum discussing about RPGs,.
>You find out a place called RPGCodex, you think to yourself "Might be a good place for hanging out, after all I'll get some recognition for working at one of their most beloved RPG developers
>You decide to sign up and create an account, "what could go wrong?" you ask to yourself.
> Infinitron tries to cover up the background and sells the website as best as he could
> You are reassured: "This place is great, it's full of hardcore RPGs players"
> You decide to lurk into the Owlcat threads : Oh boy little did he know.
> 30 Minutes in, you get harassed and insulted simply for existing. You are wondering "What's wrong with these people."
> 1 hours in, "Man these guys are insane, I hope they are going to pay me for this"
> 1 day in, "Why are they threatening me? What have I done to them?"
To be continued
You're making a big deal out of nothing.
Zoomers are indifferent to pretty much everything. He saw gerey's post, went "what? anyway..." and went on with his life. They're emotionless and soulless things. They're normies, minus the normies indignations and insecurities. They can't be trolled like boomers. They've been on the internet since they were born. Nothing you write here can "shock" them. They just don't give a fuck about your posts or the games they work on. They have less soul than a dog.

The_Mask

Patron
Zoomers are indifferent to pretty much everything. He saw gerey's post, went "what? anyway..." and went on with his life. They're emotionless and soulless things. They're normies, minus the normies indignations and insecurities. They can't be trolled like boomers. They've been on the internet since they were born. Nothing you write here can "shock" them. They just don't give a fuck about your posts or the games they work on. They have less soul than a dog.
Nice bait, m8.

And if he did take the bait, then everyone would talk about how it and think Owlcat has those positions.

Everyone keeps complaining that devs these days shove politics into games, yet as soon as one shows up here, we hit them with politics within 72h. How about keep your politics out of my RPGs? How about that? How about the fact that ignoring gerey was the best thing he's done so far?

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Nice bait, m8.

And if he did take the bait, then everyone would talk about how it and think Owlcat has those positions.

Everyone keeps complaining that devs these days shove politics into games, yet as soon as one shows up here, we hit them with politics within 72h. How about keep your politics out of my RPGs? How about that? How about the fact that ignoring gerey was the best thing he's done so far?
Do you stick your nose under all furries' tails or just when the furry in question is somehow tangentially related to gamedev, e.g. mops the floor at a studio or manages the forums?

The_Mask

Patron
Do you stick your nose under all furries' tails or just when the furry in question is somehow tangentially related to gamedev, e.g. mops the floor at the studio or manages the forums?
Do you play RPGs for the politics, or the gameplay and story?

You're a fucking retard, Bester. And everybody knows it. gerey, at least, fucked off after he said his spiel. You're still here frothing at the mouth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom