Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Aconitum

Novice
For the record, nobody outside of like 30 dudes on this forum thinks WOTR was a "mediocre mess."
Do I want to know what the general consensus of the general masses is? Break it to me, not-Polish man. What does everyone else think?
17611.jpg

The honeymoon is over, but it's still in good company.

The fact that ELEX sits so high on that chart above Cyberpunk, ATOM RPG Trudograd, PF:WOTR, etc. speaks loud volumes about the sheer levels of autism of RPG Codex. A 4th rate Piranha Bytes game that can't even stand in the shadow of the original 22 year old Gothic is head & shoulders above "the competition"? Got it!
The fact that ELEX sits so high on that chart only means that a lot of people played it. The fact that it sits in the middle and not to the right means it's behind "the competition".

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
There's plenty of websites where you can interact with devs.

But there's only one website full of unfiltered ranting about topics nobody cares about, and the occasional good discussion of RPGs.

Any dev who sticks around here has my respect, if for nothing more than being stupid thick-skinned enough to associate with the codex.

After all, as DU's signature proudly states:

"We're a bunch of angry cunts."

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
The idea that we're their "most active community outside their forums" is fucking laughable. Post some kind of citation or go get your head checked.
Certainly non-negligible, given that the first thing you see when you launch Kingmaker is a shoutout.

Vatnik Wumao
Anything non Chaos, Necron, Ork, Nids, and Dark Eldar can probably count as "good guys" morality wise as they are just trying to survive. That they are fucking each other too is another story.
I'm no WH40 scholar, but I'm pretty sure retcons happened and some NuCron dudes are pretty reasonable. At least by grimdark standards.
Some want to return to organic bodies and think that keeping meatbags of other species around in the galaxy might be conductive to that if they figure a way of doing it. After that, they'd probably be just like the Imperium of Man in terms of purging the xenos (or at best enslaving them since the Necrons believe that they are the rightful rulers of our galaxy and they have the same sort of superiority complex as the Eldar vis-a-vis other species).

ArchAngel

Arcane

But there's only one website full of unfiltered ranting about topics nobody cares about, and the occasional good discussion of RPGs.

Any dev who sticks around here has my respect, if for nothing more than being stupid thick-skinned enough to associate with the codex.

Enough of self praise :P

skaraher

Prophet
Also, for as long as I live, I will never forgive you for what you are doing to 40k. We all know you're going to defile it, pozz it and turn it into another unfunny, woke goyslop virtually indistinguishable from all the other shit out on the market today.

I was meditating on this statement today but it is a bit ridiculous : 40k is already an unfunny, woke goyslop virtually indistinguishable from all the other shit out on the market today. Turning point was Aaron Dembski Bowden's novels and NU-necrons I think.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
For the record, nobody outside of like 30 dudes on this forum thinks WOTR was a "mediocre mess."
Do I want to know what the general consensus of the general masses is? Break it to me, not-Polish man. What does everyone else think?
17611.jpg

The honeymoon is over, but it's still in good company.

Fake news, p*les did multiple vote wrath 1 to lower it so arcuckolos (that nobody remembers anymore btw) could win since there was no control on how many votes you could do.

Saduj

Arcane

No doubt that some developers leave because they are bothered by posts intended to bother them. But after seeing the cycle repeat itself multiple times, I believe that it is just as likely that developers leave because they are bored and not getting much useful feedback.

By "the cycle" I mean this:

Developer posts "Hey, I'm the developer of X..."
The initial replies are a mix of welcomes and warnings.
Then there is a contest to see who can be the edgiest edgelord at the developer's expense.
This is followed by dozens of posts arguing the merits of this performance, how oh so edgy RPG Codex is in general, the history of trolling developers on the Codex, etc. Mixed in is maybe 5% posts about the game, an ever decreasing subset of which might qualify as useful feedback.

So while I'm sure that some people are driven off by the insults, I submit that it may be possible that some of these developers simply don't find the self referential Codex bullshit to be all that entertaining and that they don't find sifting through this stuff to find the occasional nugget of feedback to be worth their time. They also may realize that the thread about their game contained much less of this bullshit before they showed up, that their presence has undeniably diminished the discussion about their game and that they'd be way better off simply reading the thread without logging in.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
No doubt that some developers leave because they are bothered by posts intended to bother them. But after seeing the cycle repeat itself multiple times, I believe that it is just as likely that developers leave because they are bored and not getting much useful feedback.

"Hey gize! Help us make [product] (sell) better (in currentyear)! We're totally open for your ideas (if we can shoehorn them in without much money or effort and they don't scare away consoomers)!"

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

By "the cycle" I mean this:

Developer posts "Hey, I'm the developer of X..."
The initial replies are a mix of welcomes and warnings.
Then there is a contest to see who can be the edgiest edgelord at the developer's expense.
This is followed by dozens of posts arguing the merits of this performance, how oh so edgy RPG Codex is in general, the history of trolling developers on the Codex, etc. Mixed in is maybe 5% posts about the game, an ever decreasing subset of which might qualify as useful feedback.

So while I'm sure that some people are driven off by the insults, I submit that it may be possible that some of these developers simply don't find the self referential Codex bullshit to be all that entertaining and that they don't find sifting through this stuff to find the occasional nugget of feedback to be worth their time. They also may realize that the thread about their game contained much less of this bullshit before they showed up, that their presence has undeniably diminished the discussion about their game and that they'd be way better off simply reading the thread without logging in.

The problem is a simple one: if you come on the codex without knowing what it is, you're gonna have a bad time.

All forums have their own particular culture. Codex doesn't scale to your level, yada yada. What that means for devs is that codex has no tolerance for yet another PR rep/community manager. If you come on here to shill, you should at least bring some value.

Indies are safer here because they tend to be genuine - it's hard not to be when you're a one man show. Most of the bigger devs stay away because their games tend to be more political and have already gathered a hatedom here. Could you imagine someone from BioWare or Bethesda here in 2023? Lol, at most they would be using alts.

But they should be here. Not because codex is a large customer base (it's not) or because it's friendly (really not).

But because past all the edginess and trolling and incessant forum drama, this is a group of people who recognize quality.

And we're not talking about the 99% overwhelmingly positive meme review crowd on steam. Those are just tasteless zoomers who will consume anything set in front of them.

The reason to come to the codex is if you believe RPGs still have potential as a type of artform, not just a product.

We don't need to be sold a product. We want to be sold something to believe in.

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
But because past all the edginess and trolling and incessant forum drama, this is a group of people who recognize quality.

And we're not talking about the 99% overwhelmingly positive meme review crowd on steam. Those are just tasteless zoomers who will consume anything set in front of them.

The reason to come to the codex is if you believe RPGs still have potential as a type of artform, not just a product.

Thing is man, as right as you are about what "we represent" we are a rounding error from a sales POV. Tasteless Zoomers and complete fucking retards who think 'quality' is an Extra Value Meal™ are the vast majority of buyers. Why on Earth would a for profit company give 2 shits about pleasing a bunch of grumpy old men, grognards, prestigious neckbeards, generic haters, etc.? They don't, hence, no developer working for a major company will ever need a presence here.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

All forums have their own particular culture. Codex doesn't scale to your level, yada yada. What that means for devs is that codex has no tolerance for yet another PR rep/community manager. If you come on here to shill, you should at least bring some value.
This is key to me. Someone just having a dev tag doesn't mean anything and will justly get roasted eventually as a PR stooge. The devs that stick around and flourish here are the ones (mostly indie, like you said) who dare to engage with the community and offer their own insights, giving us a perspective or information or even just thought processes that we wouldn't have access to otherwise.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Thing is man, as right as you are about what "we represent" we are a rounding error from a sales POV. Tasteless Zoomers and complete fucking retards who think 'quality' is an Extra Value Meal™ are the vast majority of buyers. Why on Earth would a for profit company give 2 shits about pleasing a bunch of grumpy old men, grognards, prestigious neckbeards, generic haters, etc.? They don't, hence, no developer working for a major company will ever need a presence here.

That's my point, there's no business motivation to be here. At all. In fact, if anything there's a lot of possible pitfalls.

If you're here, it should be to better your craft.

Which you can do through an alt or just lurking, so only the stupid ones go around sporting a developer tag.

...shit.

Harthwain

Magister
More like @Kalarion wanted to ask the PRdude what he was doing here of all places and the guy fled rather than answer that he was here for Udmurt Liberation.
More like he finished the job on Friday and isn't working during the weekend. We shall see if he turns up when Monday comes.

skaraher

Prophet
For now, I find Dawn of War 2 : Chaos Rising to be the best 40k (pseudo) RPG experience. It even got some basic C/C and multiple endings. The writing was the highest point of the Dawn of War saga, which is generally miles ahead other 40k games.

Rogue Trader needs a Corruption path to all companions and meaningful rewards for staying PURE. :balance:

S.torch

Liturgist
Look, simp can't into gradual escalation.
smug.png

If you are only able to understand relationships in terms of copulation (bootlicking) or attack (antagonising) then I'm afraid you have already reduced yourself below animals, for even they understand a wider range of interactions than that.

Continue with that low status if you like, but don't demand that we all be part of it.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
Look, chimps couldn't scare the dev. Must have experience leading with rural fauna.
smug.png

Look, simp can't into gradual escalation.
smug.png

We're only on step 3 right now. Give it time.

Questions!

Owlcat_Eyler what's your purpose here? What does Owlcat hope to get out of having a member post on the forums? What kind of Codex member interactions are you hoping for? For instance, does Owlcat want, or care about, gameplay suggestions? Art direction? UI? If so, what kind? Are suggestions for major changes still useful, or are most features locked in at this point?

Is your presence pandering? I don't mean this in a derogatory way yet, I just don't know a better word for what I'm asking. If so, why? The only thing we've done that I could see causing Owlcat to deploy you in that case is our donations to your Kickstarters. Is this just an attempt to maintain good relations for future gibs? If that was the trigger, you can go ahead and tell your bosses there's no point, unless you're an exceptionally thick-skinned dude with a lot of latitude in your allowed forum interactions. Basic-bitch corporate-type interaction with this forum will never have a worthwhile ROI. You'd be better used elsewhere for that - say, at ReEra or NeoGAY.

What time period is RT set in? 41.8k? 13th Crusade? Post-Maledictum?

Infinitron why the fuck can't I ping Eyler with an @? I had to use BB code to do it.
I would like to see constructive criticism and honest feedback here. Also, if I can answer any game-related questions or support an interesting topic, I will do so. Actually, I don't mind these lively conversations, they help me see the essence of your opinions, (in a good way), so go on, guys.
Btw, RT set in 41M

Ryzer

Arcane
Tell Owlcat that using zoomer words for romance such as "Date" "girlfriend" or any modern slang like your team did in Pathfinder was peak cringe.
Also stop adding management/gestion minigames in your RPGs as they consistently drag your RPGs down and add nothing interesting to the game.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Tell Owlcat that using zoomer words for romance such as "Date" "girlfriend" or any modern slang like your team did in Pathfinder was peak cringe.
Also stop adding management/gestion minigames in your RPGs as they consistently drag your RPGs down and add nothing interesting to the game.
yeah, when that black woman went to throne room and invited commander to go "shopping" i was like :retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom