Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tell Owlcat that using zoomer words for romance such as "Date" "girlfriend" or any modern slang like your team did in Pathfinder was peak cringe.
That this Pathfinder settings language for you, no more ye'olde speak in new settings.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I would like to see constructive criticism and honest feedback here. Also, if I can answer any game-related questions or support an interesting topic, I will do so. Actually, I don't mind these lively conversations, they help me see the essence of your opinions, (in a good way), so go on, guys.
Btw, RT set in 41M

So another input. Corroborating what 2 people above are giving: WOTR biggest problem writing wise is that the writing, for the lack of better word, feels juvenile and is in direct contrast of the setting. Kingmaker didn't have this issue. Linzi while bubbly positive, still more or less grounded enough, especially with her character quest and integration to Pitax. Even Reg and Octavia. Wrath instead have clashing tone and quality is all over the place (compare Nocticula in main quest vs in Ember quest, while the attempt in Ember is to connect to PF canon of Noct ascension, the quality, tone, and personality is wildly different, Noct in Ember quest, for a lack of better word again, a tsundere which is annoying). Then there is also the dialogue style and all. It is personal assumption, but instead of writing for a fantasy RPG WOTR feels like that it is a writing for a Critical Role session.

Please avoid the above for Rogue Trader. Granted from what few streams I saw so far the dialogue is grounded enough so far.

On theme of corruption, I guess this is way too late as like half+ of the game is already written, but Chaos corruption is supposed to be something that often starts small and unassuming. E.g. iirc Slaneesh tried to corrupt Robot Guilaman or whatever the name of Ultramarines leader is through giving medal jewelry shit (start from small vanity). It would be great if RT can simulate this, rather than BOY CHOOSE THIS FOR HERESY the corruption should be sublime, and certain choices should only be visible (Not like WOTR: OH BOY HIDDEN OPTION PLAY LICH/Tzeentech to choose this next time) under certain corruption/purity standard.

DOW 2 Chaos Rising is quite good with this early, earning corruption points usually is still about you doing your job but in a corruptive way like finding an easy way out. E.g. I remember in one of the missions you got blocked by a city gate. The pure way to solve this is to go the long way killing Chaos mahreens and opening the gate while the corrupt one is just to blow it up and rush inside. Within the context of doing your job, you achieve it the same but blowing it up makes the planet more vulnerable to future Chaos incursion and thus unknowingly corruptive.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Tell Owlcat that using zoomer words for romance such as "Date" "girlfriend" or any modern slang like your team did in Pathfinder was peak cringe.
That this Pathfinder settings language for you, no more ye'olde speak in new settings.

It's not as blatant in KM. The choice to engage in much zoomer talk like WOTR is a Critical Role session is a conscious decision. In fact it is not even edited well as you can see certain characters, hell even the same characters it seems can have wildly different tone and very likely writers

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's not as blatant in KM. The choice to engage in much zoomer talk like WOTR is a Critical Role session is a conscious decision. In fact it is not even edited well as you can see certain characters, hell even the same characters it seems can have wildly different tone and very likely writers
"Date" "Girlfriend" and "shopping" are zoomer talk? The first two are early 20th century, the last is 17th.

Ryzer

Arcane
"Date" "Girlfriend" and "shopping" are zoomer talk? The first two are early 20th century, the last is 17th.
Just draw a comparison between the vocabulary used behind Deionarra romance in Planescape: Torment vs in Pathfinder, the difference is strikening.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Just draw a comparision between thz vocabulary used in Deionarra romance in Planescape: Torment vs in Pathfinder, the difference is strikening.
These are different settings made by different people and as I pointed out in a previous post there's all kinds of modern language in official Pathfinder material. It's a 21st century setting made for 21st century people.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
"Date" and "girlfriend" ?
Those are alien concepts around here.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
So another input. Corroborating what 2 people above are giving: WOTR biggest problem writing wise is that the writing, for the lack of better word, feels juvenile and is in direct contrast of the setting.

Good point. But it's not just the writing.
The whole approach to preseting the story was flawed in this way.
Take for example the trickster theme tune that played every time something devs imagined as funny or silly happened.
It's like background laughter in all those crappy comedies, - okey kiddies, smile and clap, it's funneh time!
I realize that even with world-ending demonic invasion some relief from pathos overdose is a must, but not in such a blantant and overdone way.
How Owlcat can keep up the "grimdark only war future" atmosphere while pleasing "modern audience" with Nenio-style jokes?

Sarathiour

Cipher
from all things they could use post-post-post-post apocalyptic people decided to keep modern twitter language
It's actually the reason why apocalypse happened three time, god trying to clue them in Sodom and Gomorah's style three time before giving up and having the demon have their way.

lightbane

Arcane
At some point people mentioned that there's no gaming site worse than RPGCodex. I disagree. While it's true RPGCodex declined a lot lately, there are still WORSE sites, such as the Gaming Den (when they cover videogames), REEsetera (easy one), Something Awful (if you're registered in order to see the topics), etc.

As for this game, too early to tell. I wonder if the endings will be all bleak, or if there's somehow a chance of a "golden ending" of some sort. Chances are we'll get vignettes at least.

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Cum-unity managers at owlcat, print this out and stick it to the fridge where your fat lady writers congregate

X_89o_-7Kk0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yosharian

Arcane
For now, I find Dawn of War 2 : Chaos Rising to be the best 40k (pseudo) RPG experience. It even got some basic C/C and multiple endings. The writing was the highest point of the Dawn of War saga, which is generally miles ahead other 40k games.

Rogue Trader needs a Corruption path to all companions and meaningful rewards for staying PURE. :balance:

Purity is its own reward. Evil should have the best loot (although not necessarily the best pussy)

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
I can reassure you that we're inclined to make our game in the tone of the Warhammer universe to fully match the atmosphere. With full respect for the source material. :salute:
Am kind of wondering if there will be any animated movies in the game like we saw in the announcement teaser trialer?
Not sure about animated movies, they don't quite fit into the game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom