Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
No, RPG Codex is not bad, it was just a metaphor
Can you please tell the rest of the Owlcat team I hope to God Putin bags all of you, as well as your families and friends, and uses you to soak up Ukranian bullets and clean minefields with your limbs so actual humans don't need to risk their lives?

Also, for as long as I live, I will never forgive you for what you are doing to 40k. We all know you're going to defile it, pozz it and turn it into another unfunny, woke goyslop virtually indistinguishable from all the other shit out on the market today.

I can picture the lot of you masturbating to a picture of that faggot ADB, projecting your daddy issues onto the God Emperor like he does and going "akshually the Imperium are the bad guys" and "Slaanesh rights are human rights". I would have preferred any other developer to get the rights to make a 40k cRPG, even the animals in the BioWare pigpen, because they're all better than you clowns.

Go fuck yourself you disingenuous, two-faced, subhuman piece of corporate shit.

God I hope they make the Space Marine a gay trans-man now.
Me too. Then I can go to the police and have the owlies responsible arrested and put in jail. Can't wait.
Or you could just do us all a solid and jump off a bridge.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
God I hope they make the Space Marine a gay trans-man now.

Marines are already transhuman, and a good argument can be made that they're post human.

Transhuman, or trans-human, is the concept of an intermediary form between human and posthuman. In other words, a transhuman is a being that resembles a human in most respects but who has powers and abilities beyond those of standard humans.

Eliphas, pretty much the iconic chaos marine voice:

Also Gabriel Inglesias Angelos

Reinhardt

Arcane
mahrins r ghey.
as former kommissar i just want to hire bunch of stormtroopers from my regiment for my retinue and gib them cool augments.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
No, RPG Codex is not bad, it was just a metaphor
Can you please tell the rest of the Owlcat team I hope to God Putin bags all of you, as well as your families and friends, and uses you to soak up Ukranian bullets and clean minefields with your limbs so actual humans don't need to risk their lives?

Also, for as long as I live, I will never forgive you for what you are doing to 40k. We all know you're going to defile it, pozz it and turn it into another unfunny, woke goyslop virtually indistinguishable from all the other shit out on the market today.

I can picture the lot of you masturbating to a picture of that faggot ADB, projecting your daddy issues onto the God Emperor like he does and going "akshually the Imperium are the bad guys" and "Slaanesh rights are human rights". I would have preferred any other developer to get the rights to make a 40k cRPG, even the animals in the BioWare pigpen, because they're all better than you clowns.

Based.

Ryzer

Arcane
Also, tough question for our local Owlcat dev:
Real-time with pause vs Turn-based, which one do you chose and why?

Skorpion

Educated
This particular game is turn based, you can see all the alpha footage gameplay you want with a simple search.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
Each mechanic has its pros and cons. For Rogue Trader, we decided to focus exclusively on the turn-based combat system. We've introduced some innovative features, such as move preview, as well as visible hit trajectory and hit chance. Also, we're actively working on combat skills and abilities. We want there to be fewer battles than there were in Pathfinder, but each of them should be an interesting encounter for the player.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Each mechanic has its pros and cons. For Rogue Trader, we decided to focus exclusively on the turn-based combat system. We've introduced some innovative features, such as move preview, as well as visible hit trajectory and hit chance. Also, we're actively working on combat skills and abilities. We want there to be fewer battles than there were in Pathfinder, but each of them should be an interesting encounter for the player.

A feedback for you: based on Alpha impression of the guy playing here, seems the Alpha ends with you nearly maxing your secondary class level. We know that there are part of the game before the Alpha but we also know that there is something after.

Seems like character progression is way too fast and the end game not in Alpha will be spent on max level?

This kinda feelsbad and like DLC1 of Wrath where we are stuck for several hours without meaningful progression.

Just a feedback from that impression tho, not sure how correct it will be

lightbane

Arcane
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I hope there are several options for power armors, with increasingly ridiculous models that may or may not be necessarily good but fun to use. Ie: From Military Power Armor with blessed armored plates to protect against Chaos (only possible with some help from the Inquisition), to "generic" power armor, to a suit of heavy medieval full plate armor made with modern materials and reinforced with servo-engines for the ultimate impractical-but-cool power armor (that's actually an option in RT Books).

Last edited:

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer

A feedback for you: based on Alpha impression of the guy playing here, seems the Alpha ends with you nearly maxing your secondary class level. We know that there are part of the game before the Alpha but we also know that there is something after.

Seems like character progression is way too fast and the end game not in Alpha will be spent on max level?

This kinda feelsbad and like DLC1 of Wrath where we are stuck for several hours without meaningful progression.

Just a feedback from that impression tho, not sure how correct it will be
Sure, the level progression will be reworked as well
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I hope there are several options for power armors, with increasingly ridiculous models that may or may not be necessarily good but fun to use. Ie: From Military Power Armor with blessed armored plates to protect against Chaos (only possible with some help from the Inquisition), to "generic" power armor, to a suit of heavy medieval full plate armor made with modern materials and reinforced with servo-engineers for the ultimate impractical-but-cool power armor (that's actually an option in RT Books).

Haha, nice idea XD

S.torch

Liturgist
Look, chimps couldn't scare the dev. Must have experience leading with rural fauna. :smug:

Since they are here I wanted to comment that I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that in Wrath the visuals had a more hand-drawn aspect and less of this artificial look that most modern games want to have. Since Warhammer is greatly popular for its detailed hand-painted miniatures and saturated art I think you are in the right track if you continue that line of the visual aspect.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
Look, chimps couldn't scare the dev. Must have experience leading with rural fauna. :smug:

Since they are here I wanted to comment that I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that in Wrath the visuals had a more hand-drawn aspect and less of this artificial look that most modern games want to have. Since Warhammer is greatly popular for its detailed hand-painted miniatures and saturated art I think you are in the right track if you continue that line of the visual aspect.
Tnx, we appreciate it :)

Sarathiour

Cipher
I'll try be be as nice as possible, so starting by baby step : please hire, summon or kidnapp someone that actually know the importance of lightning and contrast , be it for the portrait or the artistic direction in general. This was unforgivable :

4746be70d4ce49d77729644027d85ae7.png

For fuck sake, Prosper even beat you at that :prosper:

Also I see that no one even make an allusion about bug that might or might not still be present in past game in apocalyptical proportion. Good thing, we aren't ready to have this discussion yet.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
I'll try be be as nice as possible, so starting by baby step : please hire, summon or kidnapp someone that actually know the importance of lightning and contrast , be it for the portrait or the artistic direction in general. This was unforgivable :
How do you like our Rogue Trader arts?

Camel

Scholar

ron-burgundy-escalated-quickly.gif

Camel

Scholar
Less (trash) combat like in WotR is a good start if true. WotR is unique among RPGs because it has way too much combat and way too much dialogue and text, being the first game that made me stop reading text. It also has more trash combat than DA:O which is some achievement. Tons of boring combat in badly designed encounters with sprinkling of plot in-between got stale fast.
I guess it's too much to ask you lot to completely remove the kingdom/crusade/trader mechanic out of your games. So I want to ask a question - will it at least be unobtrusive and not time-consuming?

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Less (trash) combat like in WotR is a good start if true. WotR is unique among RPGs like it has way too much combat and way too much dialogue and text, being the first game that made me to stop reading text. It also has more trash combat than DA:O which is some achievement. Tons of boring combat in badly designed encounters with sprinkling of plot got stale fast.
I guess it's too much to ask you lot to completely remove the kingdom/crusade/trader mechanic out of your games. So I want to ask a question - will it at least be unobtrusive and not time-consuming?

Please add an option that allows players to skip management systems without missing out on content.

A vast majority of people (at least here) who otherwise enjoy your games find these elements annoying.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The only interesting thing about this game is how Owlcat will try to make WH40K woke.

After Pathfinder: Wrath of the Trannies I kinda expect the story to be something like:
The God Emperor is actually a strong transwoman of color whose aim was to smash the patriachy and the alpha Chad in golden armor was just a shell she was forced into by the Chaos Gods she couldn't control. But now she has finally broken free, but of course the Space Marines refuse to accept the new Empress so she has to look for a free agent - a Rogue Trader - to help her rid the galaxy of the toxic masculinity of the Space Marines. And then the game is basically you and a team of feisty they/thems eradicating every last reactionary fascist who refuses to bow before the rigthtful Empress and accept the new galactic order.
..and in a DLC you will then be able to reform Ork society too by discovering that some evil scheme was suppressing the birth of female orcs all along and the female orcs will of course all be wise and care about the environment, not war, and then you have to help them establish a benevolent matriarchy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom