Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Combat looks dogshit, with people holding guns standing few feets from each other and shooting. Cover is a secondary accessory in this game, no need to bother.
Literally a RTwP game, but without the RTwP combat.

Kind of makes you wonder what Owlcat is thinking.

ArchAngel

Arcane

ArchAngel

Arcane
From my experience in pnp, cover is indeed useless... In the mid-game/endgame, as you fight enemies armed with guns that have such high armor penetration values that cover is not enough. Against low-tier mooks, cover is fine (beware of flamers though as these bypass cover, flamers are always useful). Instead, I realized it's better to stack up your armor points and especially toughness bonuses so that you can shrug off bullets (or hide behind someone with such scores). Cover adds armor points so having bulky power armors helps with hiding behind cover, funnily enough. If the bad guys are melee-based though, cover is useless and they likely do enough damage to kill tanks, so you better take them out first.
And everyone always complains how in Xcom likes melee always does more damage than ranged :D

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Sister of Battle being the most liked companion? That's completely expected.

Everybody likes bolter bitches. Especially if they don't have actual vows of celibacy.

Modders gonna mod.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Eager to see more from the game. This whole thread excited me enough that I redownloaded PF:KM and will give it another try to see if perhaps I missed something my first time around. Should also give me some more insight into Owlcats general design philosophy.

EvilWolf

Learned
Biggest fans able to cash out to get alpha access gave it good scores.. are you going to tell us next that sky is blue?

If you wanted real feedback you would have open beta so anyone can give feedback.

Unless you are designing this game for bigest fans only and care not if game financially crashes and burns.. that would be trully Based
Ah yes, feedback from every normie and their 30 year old grandmother is exactly what any company worth their weight in salt should strive for!

Joyvankek

Learned
Biggest fans able to cash out to get alpha access gave it good scores.. are you going to tell us next that sky is blue?

If you wanted real feedback you would have open beta so anyone can give feedback.

Unless you are designing this game for bigest fans only and care not if game financially crashes and burns.. that would be trully Based
Ah yes, feedback from every normie and their 30 year old grandmother is exactly what any company worth their weight in salt should strive for!
It goes both ways.
I lost count of how many times devs broke balance of games I've played. Cause they listened to, so called, hardcore/pro gamers bitching about stuff being "OP".
Listening to feedback is a good thing, but there are limits.

Dear God, it looks like a mutant.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Well the left hand is obviously bionic, the other one might be too, so its not that crazy...
Augmetics don't help. You need the bulk of an Astartes to handle a heavy bolter plus ammo.

Yes, I'm being petty.
You're right, but Commisar Yarrick uses a storm bolter and he's human. The entire WH40K lore is filled with stupid shit like this, so it's ridiculous to nit pick something like this.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Well the left hand is obviously bionic, the other one might be too, so its not that crazy...
Augmetics don't help. You need the bulk of an Astartes to handle a heavy bolter plus ammo.

Yes, I'm being petty.
You're right, but Commisar Yarrick uses a storm bolter and he's human. The entire WH40K lore is filled with stupid shit like this, so it's ridiculous to nit pick something like this.

It's also implied in-universe that the picture of IG commanders using powerfists and storm bolters, etc is just mostly Imperial propaganda.

Why would an IG commander use a heavy bolter? Imagine you're running around trying to get a sense of how a battle's going, and you're hefting that shit the entire time.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron

Yes, I'm being petty.

It's also implied in-universe that the picture of IG commanders using powerfists and storm bolters, etc is just mostly Imperial propaganda.

Why would an IG commander use a heavy bolter? Imagine you're running around trying to get a sense of how a battle's going, and you're hefting that shit the entire time.
The implication is that Commissar Yarrick is so such a badass that he can carry a heavy bolter and not be inconvenienced by it. This is a setting filled with stupid shit like regular humans dueling Astartes and power inconsistencies like Harlequins running through the Imperial Palace and one shotting Custodes. You might say it's implied but that's just one writer trying to make excuses for the shit writing of another writer.

My point is, while it is "stupid" for a non Astartes to carry a bolter, it's no less stupid than 90% of the shit that is already cannon.

Peachcurl

Arcane
Heavy bolter and storm bolter are not the same thing though.

Very roughly, a storm bolter is a bit less than twice the weight of a bolter. And a heavy bolter is a bit more than twice the weight of a storm bolter.

Storm bolters are also not that different in weight to other "heavy" type weapons that are less frequently used by vanilla humans: Melta, Plasma, Flamer etc.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron

Very roughly, a storm bolter is a bit less than twice the weight of a bolter. And a heavy bolter is a bit more than twice the weight of a storm bolter.
Yarrick was one handing the storm bolter with a regular human arm. The chick in the picture has two bionic arms and is two handing the heavy bolter, not to mention they're holding it like it's a minigun while Yarrick was swinging the storm bolter around like it was a Glock. If anything, the picture is less ridiculous by several degrees than Yarrick swinging around a storm bolter.

Peachcurl

Arcane

Yarrick was one handing the storm bolter with a regular human arm. The chick in the picture has two bionic arms and is two handing the heavy bolter, not to mention they're holding it like it's a minigun while Yarrick was swinging the storm bolter around like it was a Glock. If anything, the picture is less ridiculous by several degrees than Yarrick swinging around a storm bolter.
Not to mention he should be executed by the inquisition for using ridiculously oversized Xenos weaponry. More or less permanently attached as well. :lol:

Trithne

Erudite
We've already put more thoughts into this than Owlscat.

You've put more thought into this than Games Workshop. And particularly brutishly strong people can carry Heavy Bolters, like a couple of famous Catachans and Goliath gangers (there's gene enhancement at play in the latter case though). Bionics, or suspensors can assist too. Ultimately it's Rule of Cool goes.

Shadenuat

Arcane
url

As for yarrick, he is dead atm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom