Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
Imagine being a dev volunteering to leave plebeian but safe reddit and venture to the dark recesses of the codex while tolerating its abuse thinking at least I'll get some valuable insight on design/mechanics and it turns out it's romance degeneracy all over again.
Haha, who can do it in their right mind? Wait a sec...

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just need need some sort of open beta to drop tbh so Codexers can get their hands on it. I'm sure you'll have a ton of people that are clamoring to give their feedback.

Edgetard

Educated
Haha, who can do it in their right mind? Wait a sec...
Could be worse, could be stuck on 4chan...
EKQpmfaXsAAPVA7

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Owlcat_Eyler are you boys and girls over there going to upload your news videos on Twitter as well, now that Elon made it possible?

If yes, I might actually start catering to Infinitron's autism, and start pasting stuff from there. I usually don't check your Twitter, because I know you'll upload your videos on YouTube, so why would I? You get me?

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
Owlcat_Eyler are you boys and girls over there going to upload your news videos on Twitter as well, now that Elon made it possible?

If yes, I might actually start catering to Infinitron's autism, and start pasting stuff from there. I usually don't check your Twitter, because I know you'll upload your videos on YouTube, so why would I? You get me?
Hmm, we didn't plan to change anything about that yet. I suppose we'll continue to post them primarily on YouTube.

Joyvankek

Learned
Rogue Trader at least has the Sister of Battle, who's very cute.
And is also not a romance option
and that's good thing.
DIE

gkmpbka4ox381.jpg

And is also not a romance option
the suffering will never end with owlcat games and locking the best options away it really is a modern day dating sim where all the good options are taken and you are left with the used up whores with bpd
Meh, Cassia is pretty good option imo. That's if you can't live without putting your dick somewhere.
But why would you focus on romance when you can focus on xenocide?

Not to mention that war can be much more arousing. Video related.

Edgetard

Educated
Meh, Cassia is pretty good option imo. That's if you can't live without putting your dick somewhere.
But why would you focus on romance when you can focus on xenocide?
Not to mention that war can be much more arousing. Video related.
Well Ive yet to find a fellow man who could live without putting his dick in something for extended periods of time I guess I shouldnt complain too hard as they for the first time added a girl who isnt a complete hoe
as for xenocide if this was inquisition instead of rogue trader id believe it but I highly doubt well be given access to the shiny big red button
not disagreeing with you but till we either get 40k inquisition or pathfinder hell's vengeance Im not sure well be getting a proper "crpg warcrime simulator"

Robber Baron

Savant
Not sure. This is a minor thing, but it will require quite some time from our animators
It is my most sincere belief that using unisex animations and character postures (while understandable) - greatly affects the visual impact of your titles in a negative way. And although you do call it a minor thing(it is not - that is why you have unique "feminine" idle animations for Minagho and Areelu) I hope that you will at least consider the possibility of implementation of this feature in your future projects.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
https://archive.ph/hWvLW

Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader could solve one of the franchise’s biggest problems​

By Cat Bussell published about 13 hours ago
Boy’s club

Rogue Trader and retinue posing dramatically

(Image credit: Owlcat Games)

Warhammer 40,000 sure has a lot of loud, shouty men. From the augmented super-soldiers of Warhammer 40k: Space Marine to the stoic Imperial Navy captains of Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2, it’s no surprise that the setting can be rather offputting to some.

This is a great shame, since, at its best, Warhammer 40k stands as some of the most compelling satire that the United Kingdom has ever produced. It lampoons everything from fascism, colonialism, imperialism, and classism all in one convenient grimdark package, courtesy of the developers and writers at Games Workshop. Like any great dystopia, the theocratic authoritarian regime of the Imperium of Man is darkly compelling, but the franchise loses something by failing to represent women and minorities in its games.

The Imperium spans billions of worlds, and yet the stories told about it seem to focus on a very specific subset of humanity. Stories are all the more meaningful when we see ourselves in them, and that’s equally true for stories in dark settings. By failing to embrace diversity, Warhammer 40k games are shooting themselves in the foot.

Unfortunately, the recent surge of Warhammer 40k games has done very little to rectify the franchise’s representation problem. With the exception of satisfying coop shooter Darktide, Warhammer 40k games seem to struggle when it comes to the representation of women. Take strategic XCOM-alike Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Demonhunters. Though two of your three advisors are women, every single soldier is male on account of Games Workshop’s purile rule forbidding women from joining the ranks of genetically enhanced warriors.

Contrast this with the likes of Halo: Infinite, where the Spartan supersoldiers are refreshingly diverse (not to mention customizable) and you’ll begin to see the problem. With the representation of women slowly but surely becoming better in video games, Warhammer 40,000 looks more and more backwards by comparison.

Suns and starships​

Rogue Trader brooding by hololithic console

(Image credit: Owlcat Games)

I’ve adored Warhammer 40k ever since I first encountered it at university. However, this love affair was not to begin through the setting’s nauseatingly macho Space Marines, rather it would come through a Tabletop Roleplaying game called Rogue Trader. In this game, you play as the crew of one of Warhammer 40k’s massive interstellar spaceships. One of you takes on the role of the eponymous Rogue Trader, a spaceship captain with the dystopian sci-fi equivalent of a letter of marque, giving them the mandate to explore the cold void of space.

Owlcat Games, developers of lavish and well-received fantasy tabletop adaptation Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, have since turned their attention to Rogue Trader, aiming to craft their own take on space exploration and empire building in the grim darkness of the 41st Millennium.

The Alpha alone is enough to convince me that this game is very much a step in the right direction for Warhammer 40k titles. Not only does the RPG’s character creator allow you to build a space captain to suit your own narrative interests, but the supporting characters are diverse and fascinating, reminiscent of the likes of Mass Effect in their charm and depth.

What’s more, these supporting characters include women and people of color. What’s more, there was even some dialogue that hinted at the possibility of same-gender relationships in the game. This would be a massive step forward for Warhammer 40k which, across its vast expanse of lore and content has only ever afforded LGBTQ+ narratives limited space on the narrative periphery, at best, refraining from framing its characters beyond the constraints of heteronormativity.

Representation matters​

Space Marine Captain Titus holding a chainsword

(Image credit: Sega)

I love the prospect of space exploration against the backdrop of a gritty and uncompromising setting. Dystopias, especially, are at their most compelling when the full range of human experience and expression is illuminated against that very backdrop.

This was one of the best facets of Cyberpunk 2077 and why Citizen Sleeper and The Last Worker offered such memorable takes on the excesses of capitalism. Dystopias are compelling because of the people in them and because of the ways in which those people respond to the horrors around them. After all, Half-Life 2 would have been far worse if it were just about Gordon Freeman.

It is my hope that Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader will inspire other developers who wish to use Games Workshop’s license to be more creative with their characters. The Imperium of Man is vast and offers a near-limitless well of humanity to draw from. If more writers and developers choose to take advantage of this, then the games they craft will be all the richer for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom