Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
(It seems that we may see combat in our own ship, as well. This is nice. Keeps us on our toes.)

Owlcat Games

acum 13 ore
Be prepared for unexpected twists and turns in the fate of the Lord Captain; battle may break out at any moment... even under the domes of the voidship you thought were safe.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
https://archive.ph/hWvLW

Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader could solve one of the franchise’s biggest problems​

By Cat Bussell published about 13 hours ago
Boy’s club

Rogue Trader and retinue posing dramatically

(Image credit: Owlcat Games)

Warhammer 40,000 sure has a lot of loud, shouty men. From the augmented super-soldiers of Warhammer 40k: Space Marine to the stoic Imperial Navy captains of Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2, it’s no surprise that the setting can be rather offputting to some.

This is a great shame, since, at its best, Warhammer 40k stands as some of the most compelling satire that the United Kingdom has ever produced. It lampoons everything from fascism, colonialism, imperialism, and classism all in one convenient grimdark package, courtesy of the developers and writers at Games Workshop. Like any great dystopia, the theocratic authoritarian regime of the Imperium of Man is darkly compelling, but the franchise loses something by failing to represent women and minorities in its games.

The Imperium spans billions of worlds, and yet the stories told about it seem to focus on a very specific subset of humanity. Stories are all the more meaningful when we see ourselves in them, and that’s equally true for stories in dark settings. By failing to embrace diversity, Warhammer 40k games are shooting themselves in the foot.

Unfortunately, the recent surge of Warhammer 40k games has done very little to rectify the franchise’s representation problem. With the exception of satisfying coop shooter Darktide, Warhammer 40k games seem to struggle when it comes to the representation of women. Take strategic XCOM-alike Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Demonhunters. Though two of your three advisors are women, every single soldier is male on account of Games Workshop’s purile rule forbidding women from joining the ranks of genetically enhanced warriors.

Contrast this with the likes of Halo: Infinite, where the Spartan supersoldiers are refreshingly diverse (not to mention customizable) and you’ll begin to see the problem. With the representation of women slowly but surely becoming better in video games, Warhammer 40,000 looks more and more backwards by comparison.

Suns and starships​

Rogue Trader brooding by hololithic console

I’ve adored Warhammer 40k ever since I first encountered it at university. However, this love affair was not to begin through the setting’s nauseatingly macho Space Marines, rather it would come through a Tabletop Roleplaying game called Rogue Trader. In this game, you play as the crew of one of Warhammer 40k’s massive interstellar spaceships. One of you takes on the role of the eponymous Rogue Trader, a spaceship captain with the dystopian sci-fi equivalent of a letter of marque, giving them the mandate to explore the cold void of space.

Owlcat Games, developers of lavish and well-received fantasy tabletop adaptation Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, have since turned their attention to Rogue Trader, aiming to craft their own take on space exploration and empire building in the grim darkness of the 41st Millennium.

The Alpha alone is enough to convince me that this game is very much a step in the right direction for Warhammer 40k titles. Not only does the RPG’s character creator allow you to build a space captain to suit your own narrative interests, but the supporting characters are diverse and fascinating, reminiscent of the likes of Mass Effect in their charm and depth.

What’s more, these supporting characters include women and people of color. What’s more, there was even some dialogue that hinted at the possibility of same-gender relationships in the game. This would be a massive step forward for Warhammer 40k which, across its vast expanse of lore and content has only ever afforded LGBTQ+ narratives limited space on the narrative periphery, at best, refraining from framing its characters beyond the constraints of heteronormativity.

Representation matters​

Space Marine Captain Titus holding a chainsword

(Image credit: Sega)

I love the prospect of space exploration against the backdrop of a gritty and uncompromising setting. Dystopias, especially, are at their most compelling when the full range of human experience and expression is illuminated against that very backdrop.

This was one of the best facets of Cyberpunk 2077 and why Citizen Sleeper and The Last Worker offered such memorable takes on the excesses of capitalism. Dystopias are compelling because of the people in them and because of the ways in which those people respond to the horrors around them. After all, Half-Life 2 would have been far worse if it were just about Gordon Freeman.

It is my hope that Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader will inspire other developers who wish to use Games Workshop’s license to be more creative with their characters. The Imperium of Man is vast and offers a near-limitless well of humanity to draw from. If more writers and developers choose to take advantage of this, then the games they craft will be all the richer for it.

Owlscat audience

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader could solve one of the franchise’s biggest problems​

Boy’s club

Warhammer 40,000 sure has a lot of loud, shouty men. From the augmented super-soldiers of Warhammer 40k: Space Marine to the stoic Imperial Navy captains of Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2, it’s no surprise that the setting can be rather offputting to some.

This is a great shame, since, at its best, Warhammer 40k stands as some of the most compelling satire that the United Kingdom has ever produced. It lampoons everything from fascism, colonialism, imperialism, and classism all in one convenient grimdark package, courtesy of the developers and writers at Games Workshop. Like any great dystopia, the theocratic authoritarian regime of the Imperium of Man is darkly compelling, but the franchise loses something by failing to represent women and minorities in its games.

The Imperium spans billions of worlds, and yet the stories told about it seem to focus on a very specific subset of humanity. Stories are all the more meaningful when we see ourselves in them, and that’s equally true for stories in dark settings. By failing to embrace diversity, Warhammer 40k games are shooting themselves in the foot.

Unfortunately, the recent surge of Warhammer 40k games has done very little to rectify the franchise’s representation problem. With the exception of satisfying coop shooter Darktide, Warhammer 40k games seem to struggle when it comes to the representation of women. Take strategic XCOM-alike Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Demonhunters. Though two of your three advisors are women, every single soldier is male on account of Games Workshop’s purile rule forbidding women from joining the ranks of genetically enhanced warriors.

Contrast this with the likes of Halo: Infinite, where the Spartan supersoldiers are refreshingly diverse (not to mention customizable) and you’ll begin to see the problem. With the representation of women slowly but surely becoming better in video games, Warhammer 40,000 looks more and more backwards by comparison.

Suns and starships​

Rogue Trader brooding by hololithic console

I’ve adored Warhammer 40k ever since I first encountered it at university. However, this love affair was not to begin through the setting’s nauseatingly macho Space Marines, rather it would come through a Tabletop Roleplaying game called Rogue Trader. In this game, you play as the crew of one of Warhammer 40k’s massive interstellar spaceships. One of you takes on the role of the eponymous Rogue Trader, a spaceship captain with the dystopian sci-fi equivalent of a letter of marque, giving them the mandate to explore the cold void of space.

Owlcat Games, developers of lavish and well-received fantasy tabletop adaptation Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, have since turned their attention to Rogue Trader, aiming to craft their own take on space exploration and empire building in the grim darkness of the 41st Millennium.

The Alpha alone is enough to convince me that this game is very much a step in the right direction for Warhammer 40k titles. Not only does the RPG’s character creator allow you to build a space captain to suit your own narrative interests, but the supporting characters are diverse and fascinating, reminiscent of the likes of Mass Effect in their charm and depth.

What’s more, these supporting characters include women and people of color. What’s more, there was even some dialogue that hinted at the possibility of same-gender relationships in the game. This would be a massive step forward for Warhammer 40k which, across its vast expanse of lore and content has only ever afforded LGBTQ+ narratives limited space on the narrative periphery, at best, refraining from framing its characters beyond the constraints of heteronormativity.

Representation matters​

Space Marine Captain Titus holding a chainsword

(Image credit: Sega)

I love the prospect of space exploration against the backdrop of a gritty and uncompromising setting. Dystopias, especially, are at their most compelling when the full range of human experience and expression is illuminated against that very backdrop.

This was one of the best facets of Cyberpunk 2077 and why Citizen Sleeper and The Last Worker offered such memorable takes on the excesses of capitalism. Dystopias are compelling because of the people in them and because of the ways in which those people respond to the horrors around them. After all, Half-Life 2 would have been far worse if it were just about Gordon Freeman.

It is my hope that Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader will inspire other developers who wish to use Games Workshop’s license to be more creative with their characters. The Imperium of Man is vast and offers a near-limitless well of humanity to draw from. If more writers and developers choose to take advantage of this, then the games they craft will be all the richer for it.

Owlscat audience

Edgetard

Educated
I WANT TO FUCK A BATTLE SISTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER
TF no SoB gf we will never lick delicious sweat from her well shaped abs after she's done with her workout...

https://ibb.co/K9pXt1H
>that pic
SISTERS DO NOT HAVE A BLACK CARAPACE CAN THE MOUTH BREATHERS WHO DRAW SISTERS REALIZE THEY ARE NOT "SEXY SPACE MARINES" BUT NORMAL WOMEN WHO HAPPEN TO HAVE POWER ARMOR WHICH BTW DOESNT REQUIRE A BLACK CARAPACE YOU COULD PROBABLY HAVE POWER ARMOR IN THIS GAME (hopefully but owlcat hates cool big heavy armor)
Who do you blame for the eastern one then?
i mean its slavs and chinks there wasnt much civilization to begin with there

Sunri

Liturgist

Reinhardt

Arcane
that's why if you want something not prosper looking you go for alternatives. there is enough much better looking stuff.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm not sure that constant swordfighting and taking bullets to the face is good for your skin.

At any rate, expecting SoBs to be vaguely french, nubile anime teens is a weird concept.

At best, they should look like mean bitches that can't wait to roast your dick with a flamer.

cdbc494d9b0438982e81c9c2273d1d8c3aca50c6.jpg

Camel

Scholar

Boy’s club

And that’s a good thing. The wargame with plastic miniatures made for the 99.99% male audience doesn’t have many women or faggots. News at eleven. Has someone ever encountered a girl playing a tabletop Wh40k?
It’s strange how SJWs want to change and butcher every setting according to their degenerate tastes. If I don’t like a setting, I’ll walk away from it instead of demanding it to be changed.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

Boy’s club

And that’s a good thing. The wargame with plastic miniatures made for the 99.99% male audience doesn’t have many women or faggots. News at eleven. Has someone ever encountered a girl playing a tabletop Wh40k?
It’s strange how SJWs want to change and butcher every setting according to their degenerate tastes. If I don’t like a setting, I’ll walk away from it instead of demanding it to be changed.
Yes but world of computer games has a lot of girls and they want to sell to them as well.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
It's marketing logic. When a marketeer sees that 99% of their customers are male, they start salivating over the thought that they can double sales if they can just make the product more appealing to females. To someone with a marketing education customers are basically interchangeable, they think they can make the product appeal to anyone just by altering the marketing approach, and when reality hits them it's often too late.

Edgetard

Educated
I can praise Emperor while fucking some Battle Sister on top of a Xeno/Chaos God corpses. Win-Win in my book.
Fv1d7hRXgAA7Y74

It's marketing logic. When a marketeer sees that 99% of their customers are male, they start salivating over the thought that they can double sales if they can just make the product more appealing to females. To someone with a marketing education customers are basically interchangeable, they think they can make the product appeal to anyone just by altering the marketing approach, and when reality hits them it's often too late.
When you realize that tranny shit was created to increase makeup and tampon sales

I'm assuming the article is bait but this line is worth picking out.

I would argue that part of the reason that 40k works as a setting is because it presents itself earnestly at 1st glance. The more relatable themes and concepts tend to be hidden under the surface. You'll fundamentally undermine that if you start making the theocratic authoritarian regime defended by steroidal murder men directly reflect your own desire for broader representation of you and the people you like.

As an example I read the Dembski-Bowden Armageddon novels years ago. I could empathise with Grimaldus's desire to prove himself under difficult circumstances because it reflected what I was doing in my own job at time. However at no point did I need to think "I am the chaplin, the 3 metre tall carnage spaceman is me" to do so. It's not like we're talking about great literature here, 40k isn't subtle to a fault, but the fact that it doesn't directly pander to the self conception and desires of people like the article writer seems to be a real sticking point for them.

Really bird-brained fandom stuff. Every piece of entertainment or media has to directly address me and my preoccupations.

samoilaaa

Educated
This is what you support by buying Owlcat games. Anyone who claims to be a fan of Warhammer 40K yet buys this game is lying.
even if its not an rpg i would rather play space marine 2 , that game actually looks like its faithful to the warhammer universe

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
I'm assuming the article is bait but this line is worth picking out.

I would argue that part of the reason that 40k works as a setting is because it presents itself earnestly at 1st glance. The more relatable themes and concepts tend to be hidden under the surface. You'll fundamentally undermine that if you start making the theocratic authoritarian regime defended by steroidal murder men directly reflect your own desire for broader representation of you and the people you like.

As an example I read the Dembski-Bowden Armageddon novels years ago. I could empathise with Grimaldus's desire to prove himself under difficult circumstances because it reflected what I was doing in my own job at time. However at no point did I need to think "I am the chaplin, the 3 metre tall carnage spaceman is me" to do so. It's not like we're talking about great literature here, 40k isn't subtle to a fault, but the fact that it doesn't directly pander to the self conception and desires of people like the article writer seems to be a real sticking point for them.

Really bird-brained fandom stuff. Every piece of entertainment or media has to directly address me and my preoccupations.

It's never about representation with these people, it's about colonizing subcultures they don't like and twisting them until they fit the mold.

They'd be writing articles about black and female representation among the Hells Angels if they knew they could get away with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom