Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mauman

Scholar
https://archive.ph/hWvLW

Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader could solve one of the franchise’s biggest problems​

By Cat Bussell published about 13 hours ago
Boy’s club

Rogue Trader and retinue posing dramatically

(Image credit: Owlcat Games)

Warhammer 40,000 sure has a lot of loud, shouty men. From the augmented super-soldiers of Warhammer 40k: Space Marine to the stoic Imperial Navy captains of Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2, it’s no surprise that the setting can be rather offputting to some.
And that’s a good thing. The wargame with plastic miniatures made for the 99.99% male audience doesn’t have many women or faggots. News at eleven. Has someone ever encountered a girl playing a tabletop Wh40k?
It’s strange how SJWs want to change and butcher every setting according to their degenerate tastes. If I don’t like a setting, I’ll walk away from it instead of demanding it to be changed.
Yes but world of computer games has a lot of girls and they want to sell to them as well.
No, casual games like Bejeweled have lots of girls. Games like these historically don't do well with girls because it doesn't appeal to them. I don't know why. I do know that the attempts to shove every kind of "representation" in these games hasn't done much to improve that.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Speaking of the cartoon visuals, they must've gotten a lot of negative feedback (I remember codex really hated it too) because I'm seeing it less and less.

Good, it didn't fit with the setting at all. I hope they axed it from the game entirely.

Edgetard

Educated
Speaking of the cartoon visuals, they must've gotten a lot of negative feedback (I remember codex really hated it too) because I'm seeing it less and less.

Good, it didn't fit with the setting at all. I hope they axed it from the game entirely.
so thats the reason its taking so long to go into beta
glad theyre ripping that shit out

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Except for the fact that I mean it when I shit on the Imperium of Man which is a terrible civilization which deserves to crash and burn to the ground just like all the others. :lol:
Imagine being this upset about not being able to join Chaos

ArchAngel

Arcane
Except for the fact that I mean it when I shit on the Imperium of Man which is a terrible civilization which deserves to crash and burn to the ground just like all the others. :lol:
Well it is not the one humans in 40k deserve but it one they need.

Trithne

Erudite
I'm only pasting this one because Argenta is in it. :D The feature is something we already know.

Owlcat Games
acum 46 de minute

When you damage and kill enemies, your party accumulates Momentum. Gather enough and you will be able to launch devastating abilities called Heroic Acts. And if things aren't going well and Momentum is very low - Desperate Measures are a viable, but costly, alternative.

Incidentally, that knockback being hit with a bolt and miraculously not dying imparts? If you hit a piece of terrain on the way you take more damage.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader could solve one of the franchise’s biggest problems​

Boy’s club

Warhammer 40,000 sure has a lot of loud, shouty men. From the augmented super-soldiers of Warhammer 40k: Space Marine to the stoic Imperial Navy captains of Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2, it’s no surprise that the setting can be rather offputting to some.

This is a great shame, since, at its best, Warhammer 40k stands as some of the most compelling satire that the United Kingdom has ever produced. It lampoons everything from fascism, colonialism, imperialism, and classism all in one convenient grimdark package, courtesy of the developers and writers at Games Workshop. Like any great dystopia, the theocratic authoritarian regime of the Imperium of Man is darkly compelling, but the franchise loses something by failing to represent women and minorities in its games.

The Imperium spans billions of worlds, and yet the stories told about it seem to focus on a very specific subset of humanity. Stories are all the more meaningful when we see ourselves in them, and that’s equally true for stories in dark settings. By failing to embrace diversity, Warhammer 40k games are shooting themselves in the foot.

Unfortunately, the recent surge of Warhammer 40k games has done very little to rectify the franchise’s representation problem. With the exception of satisfying coop shooter Darktide, Warhammer 40k games seem to struggle when it comes to the representation of women. Take strategic XCOM-alike Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Demonhunters. Though two of your three advisors are women, every single soldier is male on account of Games Workshop’s purile rule forbidding women from joining the ranks of genetically enhanced warriors.

Contrast this with the likes of Halo: Infinite, where the Spartan supersoldiers are refreshingly diverse (not to mention customizable) and you’ll begin to see the problem. With the representation of women slowly but surely becoming better in video games, Warhammer 40,000 looks more and more backwards by comparison.

Suns and starships​

Rogue Trader brooding by hololithic console

I’ve adored Warhammer 40k ever since I first encountered it at university. However, this love affair was not to begin through the setting’s nauseatingly macho Space Marines, rather it would come through a Tabletop Roleplaying game called Rogue Trader. In this game, you play as the crew of one of Warhammer 40k’s massive interstellar spaceships. One of you takes on the role of the eponymous Rogue Trader, a spaceship captain with the dystopian sci-fi equivalent of a letter of marque, giving them the mandate to explore the cold void of space.

Owlcat Games, developers of lavish and well-received fantasy tabletop adaptation Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, have since turned their attention to Rogue Trader, aiming to craft their own take on space exploration and empire building in the grim darkness of the 41st Millennium.

The Alpha alone is enough to convince me that this game is very much a step in the right direction for Warhammer 40k titles. Not only does the RPG’s character creator allow you to build a space captain to suit your own narrative interests, but the supporting characters are diverse and fascinating, reminiscent of the likes of Mass Effect in their charm and depth.

What’s more, these supporting characters include women and people of color. What’s more, there was even some dialogue that hinted at the possibility of same-gender relationships in the game. This would be a massive step forward for Warhammer 40k which, across its vast expanse of lore and content has only ever afforded LGBTQ+ narratives limited space on the narrative periphery, at best, refraining from framing its characters beyond the constraints of heteronormativity.

Representation matters​

Space Marine Captain Titus holding a chainsword

(Image credit: Sega)

I love the prospect of space exploration against the backdrop of a gritty and uncompromising setting. Dystopias, especially, are at their most compelling when the full range of human experience and expression is illuminated against that very backdrop.

This was one of the best facets of Cyberpunk 2077 and why Citizen Sleeper and The Last Worker offered such memorable takes on the excesses of capitalism. Dystopias are compelling because of the people in them and because of the ways in which those people respond to the horrors around them. After all, Half-Life 2 would have been far worse if it were just about Gordon Freeman.

It is my hope that Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader will inspire other developers who wish to use Games Workshop’s license to be more creative with their characters. The Imperium of Man is vast and offers a near-limitless well of humanity to draw from. If more writers and developers choose to take advantage of this, then the games they craft will be all the richer for it.

I know Owlcat didn't write this, but I have a strong suspicion they might agree with it.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Boy’s club

This is a great shame, since, at its best, Warhammer 40k stands as some of the most compelling satire that the United Kingdom has ever produced. It lampoons everything from fascism, colonialism, imperialism, and classism all in one convenient grimdark package, courtesy of the developers and writers at Games Workshop. Like any great dystopia, the theocratic authoritarian regime of the Imperium of Man is darkly compelling, but the franchise loses something by failing to represent women and minorities in its games.

The Imperium spans billions of worlds, and yet the stories told about it seem to focus on a very specific subset of humanity. Stories are all the more meaningful when we see ourselves in them, and that’s equally true for stories in dark settings. By failing to embrace diversity, Warhammer 40k games are shooting themselves in the foot.

Unfortunately, the recent surge of Warhammer 40k games has done very little to rectify the franchise’s representation problem. With the exception of satisfying coop shooter Darktide, Warhammer 40k games seem to struggle when it comes to the representation of women. Take strategic XCOM-alike Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Demonhunters. Though two of your three advisors are women, every single soldier is male on account of Games Workshop’s purile rule forbidding women from joining the ranks of genetically enhanced warriors.

Contrast this with the likes of Halo: Infinite, where the Spartan supersoldiers are refreshingly diverse (not to mention customizable) and you’ll begin to see the problem. With the representation of women slowly but surely becoming better in video games, Warhammer 40,000 looks more and more backwards by comparison.

Suns and starships​

I’ve adored Warhammer 40k ever since I first encountered it at university. However, this love affair was not to begin through the setting’s nauseatingly macho Space Marines, rather it would come through a Tabletop Roleplaying game called Rogue Trader. In this game, you play as the crew of one of Warhammer 40k’s massive interstellar spaceships. One of you takes on the role of the eponymous Rogue Trader, a spaceship captain with the dystopian sci-fi equivalent of a letter of marque, giving them the mandate to explore the cold void of space.

Owlcat Games, developers of lavish and well-received fantasy tabletop adaptation Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, have since turned their attention to Rogue Trader, aiming to craft their own take on space exploration and empire building in the grim darkness of the 41st Millennium.

The Alpha alone is enough to convince me that this game is very much a step in the right direction for Warhammer 40k titles. Not only does the RPG’s character creator allow you to build a space captain to suit your own narrative interests, but the supporting characters are diverse and fascinating, reminiscent of the likes of Mass Effect in their charm and depth.

What’s more, these supporting characters include women and people of color. What’s more, there was even some dialogue that hinted at the possibility of same-gender relationships in the game. This would be a massive step forward for Warhammer 40k which, across its vast expanse of lore and content has only ever afforded LGBTQ+ narratives limited space on the narrative periphery, at best, refraining from framing its characters beyond the constraints of heteronormativity.

Representation matters​

I love the prospect of space exploration against the backdrop of a gritty and uncompromising setting. Dystopias, especially, are at their most compelling when the full range of human experience and expression is illuminated against that very backdrop.

This was one of the best facets of Cyberpunk 2077 and why Citizen Sleeper and The Last Worker offered such memorable takes on the excesses of capitalism. Dystopias are compelling because of the people in them and because of the ways in which those people respond to the horrors around them. After all, Half-Life 2 would have been far worse if it were just about Gordon Freeman.

It is my hope that Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader will inspire other developers who wish to use Games Workshop’s license to be more creative with their characters. The Imperium of Man is vast and offers a near-limitless well of humanity to draw from. If more writers and developers choose to take advantage of this, then the games they craft will be all the richer for it.

I know Owlcat didn't write this, but I have a strong suspicion they might agree with it.

Of course. Was there ever any doubt? You have Exhibit A and Exhibit B their two previous games as proof. Anyone who believed otherwise is a fool.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

Boy’s club

Suns and starships​

Representation matters​

Of course. Was there ever any doubt? You have Exhibit A and Exhibit B their two previous games as proof. Anyone who believed otherwise is a fool.
Well, they could make us all feel a lot better about it if they fucking responded with something like "We understand the lore of 40k and we're going to make the game in the vein." This isn't Dungeons and Dragons, which is basically now a never-ending LGBTQ+ parade of degenerate weirdos and leftist horseshit. It's a completely different setting and aesthetic; they could give some indication that they understand this.

I won't hold my breath. When I read shit like this:

What’s more, there was even some dialogue that hinted at the possibility of same-gender relationships in the game. This would be a massive step forward for Warhammer 40k

I realize I am reading some terrible blogger's wish-fulfillment check list, because these lunatics will not be happy until everything on God's green earth is gay. But I am also reading a dog-whistle (heh) to the writers/designers of this game, a signal that the terminally-online losers who do nothing but harp on about gender and sexuality bullshit are sitting down in their highchairs, ready to be spoon fed more progressive slop -- or else. And these writers and designers, who have to go to be cordial with this growing cohort of deranged lunatics, just might do it in order to keep their jobs safe. Also, I'm sure there is no small portion of them who actually believe all that shit anyway.

The more I read, the more I realize I'll likely sit this one out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom