Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

So, how are the companions? I reckon they must be better than the companions in Wotr at the very least.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The space combat is actually very enjoyable in this one. Compared to Kingmaker and Wrath where I just wanted to mod out the kingdom management and army battles, I actually went my to look for more of the ship battles. Only thing I dislike is fighting against eldar or druchi ships, since their dodge shit makes it time consuming to deal with them and torpedos are the only thing that always goes through.
Actually I liked crusade mode battles. The problem was they were not THAT detailed. And you couldn't use proper AI HARD combat. Compare it to old Battle isle 2-3 AI. I was there to KILL YOU. In comparison to that a single superstack of units actually worked in Pathfinder WotR.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Only thing I dislike is fighting against eldar or druchi ships, since their dodge shit makes it time consuming to deal with them

At least it's lore accurate, I guess. It's kind of funny that GW relegated this ancient, super powerful race to annoying territory.

It just goes to show that space amish and BDSM enthusiasts are not representative of the Eldar race as it once was.

Harthwain

Magister
At least it's lore accurate, I guess. It's kind of funny that GW relegated this ancient, super powerful race to annoying territory.
It makes sense though, considering their numbers and what it means for them to die. Imperium, by comparison, uses Human Wave doctrine (well, at least as far as the Imperial Guard is concerned). Tau have superior firepower, etc.

Aarwolf

Learned
So, how are the companions? I reckon they must be better than the companions in Wotr at the very least.

They are more grounded, no quirky-bioware-like companions except maybe Jae (but she gets surprising reveal in act 3, which makes her much more complex character, and her earlier persona is fake). Abelard and Heinrix are both very solid and serious, very well rooted in the lore (so is Argenta). Idira is uneven, but still leagues above characters like Seelah. Cassia is somewhat like Arueshalee, but better and not so saccharine. I don't care about the elf, sorry, I shot her on spot, and as for Ulfen, we have him for to littlle time to tell, but now feels ok.

One word to describe them is seasoned - they are all (except Cassia) mature people, who had seen things and been places. And it feels.

Longes

Augur
Cassia is somewhat like Arueshalee, but better and not so saccharine.
Yeah. And Cassia makes infinitely more sense because she is actually a sheltered princess who lived her whole life on a tiny space station. So she's equal parts oblivious, naive, and entitled woman who's equally confused by you flirting and by you not cutting out the tongues of your servants. While Arueshalaee was a millennia-old seductress who somehow barely knew English Common and didn't understand basic human interactions.

Trithne

Erudite
I went to the Navigator station and picked up Cassia, but I'm curious - if you pick the "I need a Navigator. You'll do" style options, can you actually just abduct one of the other two and leave Cassia behind, or are you forced to take her?

Saravan

Savant

They are more grounded, no quirky-bioware-like companions except maybe Jae (but she gets surprising reveal in act 3, which makes her much more complex character, and her earlier persona is fake). Abelard and Heinrix are both very solid and serious, very well rooted in the lore (so is Argenta). Idira is uneven, but still leagues above characters like Seelah. Cassia is somewhat like Arueshalee, but better and not so saccharine. I don't care about the elf, sorry, I shot her on spot, and as for Ulfen, we have him for to littlle time to tell, but now feels ok.

One word to describe them is seasoned - they are all (except Cassia) mature people, who had seen things and been places. And it feels.
I just want to be perfectly clear that these kind of stuff was also said during early access of WotR in comparison to Kingmaker by all the shills. But damn do I hope you are right. I can even accept this being untrue if they nail the TB combat.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just want to be perfectly clear that these kind of stuff was also said during early access of WotR in comparison to Kingmaker by all the shills. But damn do I hope you are right. I can even accept this being untrue if they nail the TB combat.
And I want to also be perfectly clear that I can't remember you being foggy. Also... since when does the combat influence character traits? Can you shill more, please?

Saravan

Savant
since when does the combat influence character traits? Can you shill more, please?
As always, reading comprehension isn't your thing. Even if we will witness crappy characters like their previous games it will still in my book be acceptable as long as the TB combat is great, because great combat is the first and foremost thing I'm looking for here. That's why people use phrases like 'I can even accept'.

Saravan

Savant
it will still in my book be acceptable as long as the TB combat is great
Can you be more clear please? Are you suggesting that WOTR had bad combat? Or are you suggesting you've never played TB?
Why are you so dimwitted? I'm talking about neither of those things. I'm just talking about accepting the possibility of the characters being shit again is OK as long as the TB combat is great for this particular game. What's so hard to understand?

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Only thing I dislike is fighting against eldar or druchi ships

7ptxvl.jpg

Shaki

Arbiter
Yeah. And Cassia makes infinitely more sense because she is actually a sheltered princess who lived her whole life on a tiny space station. So she's equal parts oblivious, naive, and entitled woman who's equally confused by you flirting and by you not cutting out the tongues of your servants. While Arueshalaee was a millennia-old seductress who somehow barely knew English Common and didn't understand basic human interactions.
Cassia/Arue are basically same fucking cliche that RPGs are using since BG2 Aerie, who ofc turned out to be the most popular romance in the game. It's basically "make up reasons why adult female is acting like a 13yo, so people can enjoy grooming a child type of "romance" while pretending not to be a pedo"

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah I didn't like Arue as a character. Mechanicallly she's fine, but as a character I found her voice acting and dialogue irritating.
Most of the companions in WoTR were pretty arse, actually. I think only Regill was decent.
KM had a better crew.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
I went to the Navigator station and picked up Cassia, but I'm curious - if you pick the "I need a Navigator. You'll do" style options, can you actually just abduct one of the other two and leave Cassia behind, or are you forced to take her?
During her recruitment quest it's a fake choice, Felec has no intention of going with you and her caretaker is too injured to make it off the station.
There is a moment later on where you can seal her back in the drukhari stasis chamber and I have no clue how they'll get around that one, maybe House Orsellio will just send you a generic navigator when you get back since you already have a deal with them at that point.

ArchAngel

Arcane
DOW and its expansions (maybe not soulstorm) were such a high watermark for 40k in gaming.

They were far from perfect, but they have not been matched since. Not even close.

-looks at Darktide in disgust-
I played it recently to live through good old times and I found it unplayable now due to how all units block each other and do not want to go where you tell them too.. it is was stupid and terrible in Starcraft 1 but at least they were not linked in groups there and eventually you could get your retards one by one to pass through that fucking corridor.. doing that in DoW with bigger armies is just pure frustration..

Aarwolf

Learned
so how buggy it is?

Quite a lot.

Prologue and act 1 are owlcat average, act 2 (the one that was on alpha) is in decent state now, but one of the main locations was bugged as hell at launch of beta. Act 3 is clearly unfinished, very buggy and shouldn't be released in that state, even in beta.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
DOW and its expansions (maybe not soulstorm) were such a high watermark for 40k in gaming.

They were far from perfect, but they have not been matched since. Not even close.

-looks at Darktide in disgust-
I played it recently to live through good old times and I found it unplayable now due to how all units block each other and do not want to go where you tell them too.. it is was stupid and terrible in Starcraft 1 but at least they were not linked in groups there and eventually you could get your retards one by one to pass through that fucking corridor.. doing that in DoW with bigger armies is just pure frustration..
I think the problem may have been that the original maps were too small for pathfinding. I dunno, I stacked on so many mods and player-made maps that I never really noticed it besides for big units like the Baneblade.

so how buggy it is?

Quite a lot.

Prologue and act 1 are owlcat average, act 2 (the one that was on alpha) is in decent state now, but one of the main locations was bugged as hell at launch of beta. Act 3 is clearly unfinished, very buggy and shouldn't be released in that state, even in beta.

You guys get the bug where everyone starts speaking in Russian or was that just me?

Longes

Augur
so how buggy it is?
Less buggy than WotR was on launch. It increasingly breaks down as you reach later content, but it's a beta. WotR and Kingmaker were breaking down right from the start.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom