Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
scaled down version of Battlefleet Gothic for the voidship combat.
I haven't played the beta, but from descriptions it looks pretty faithful to the ruleset that was in the TT, which I think was a simplified version of the bfg tt with additions to give the PCs more things to do individually.

Shaki

Arbiter
From everything I'm hearing, there is some serious incline here. Instead of getting hyped over Avowed or The Fallout of Outer Skryim's No Man Sky, we should be hyped about Rogue Trader and the possible incline there might be. From people that have played the beta, how does the combat compare to Age of Decadence/Dungeon Rats and Knights of the Chalice I & II in regards to quality?

It's hard to say much about combat, since it's unfinished af, shitload of skills don't work right now, shitloads aren't yet in the game, also with only core/normal difficulties available, it's easy af atm, I had retarded builds since I specced a lot into bugged shit that doesn't do anything, but still had no problem with any fight on core, some classes/skills are OP as hell. I thinks fundamentals are good tho, it can be fun and challenging, they just need to balance it better and add higher difficulty levels, I think combat in finished game will probably be decent .

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
How difficult is the combat in comparison to the aforementioned games? Dungeon Rats/Age of Decadence had some amazing encounters that were really damn difficult. Would love to have something with such complexity even if it plays totally different.
You're not getting Dungeon Rats style encounter design in a 60+ hour game.
I'll second Shaki's assessment. Everything currently is either broke or unfinished, but unlike Pathfinder I actually want to play on the higher difficulties since it's no longer a statbloat'd trashmob circus you overcome through multiclass dip cringe and rigorous 5+ minute prebuff rituals every time you enter a new area.

Saravan

Savant
How difficult is the combat in comparison to the aforementioned games? Dungeon Rats/Age of Decadence had some amazing encounters that were really damn difficult. Would love to have something with such complexity even if it plays totally different.
I'll second Shaki's assessment. Everything currently is either broke or unfinished, but unlike Pathfinder I actually want to play on the higher difficulties since it's no longer a statbloat'd trashmob circus you overcome through multiclass dip cringe and rigorous 5+ minute prebuff rituals every time you enter a new area.
If this is true then I'm getting more on board with this. In addition to encounter design with TB in mind from start + squad mechanics.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't expect there to be sixty hours worth of Dungeon Rats style encounters in a game, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a similar amount of encounters as are in Dungeon Rats spread across a sixty plus hour game. Maybe they won't quite be as good as Dungeon Rats, but something comparable for specific encounters/sections.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

About the SM companion. He seems to have a interesting story. At 2:24 - HE is struggling to not become a Wulfen https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Wulfen , his stats can be seem at 2:50. Seems far above what normal party members are.
  • You get it only in late game chapter 3 to be exactly
  • He occupies two "squares"
  • He is amazing at melee.
  • He is Fighter/Vanguard
  • At 6:13 - His size makes difficult to maneuver in certain situations

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Any ETA on the release date?

Hopefully Owlcat pushes it to next year as this year is majorly crowded with high profile releases.
It will be rushed
Major mechanics will be banal boring shit
There will be pointless loading screens
The game will fall apart by the third act

What do you mean using future tense regarding Third Act ? You are Optimist it appears.

I mean why the hell not have some in that style ? Like I think Dungeons Rats style doesnt work for whole game in anything aproaching mainstream but would work well for like dozen encouters, you know stuff that should be mostly bonus hard fights and stuff like Final Boss or the Space Marine bossfight.

BTW It appears redditors have made it into Act 3 Lol considering the sheer ammount of posts im seeing regarding the Eldar Kerfufle.

Last edited:

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
I mean why the hell not have some in that style ?
I just meant that it isn't realistic to expect Owlcat to maintain that level of design as consistently as Vince & Friends.
BTW It appears redditors have made it into Act 3 Lol considering the sheer ammount of posts im seeing regarding the Eldar Kerfufle.
This is why you don't cultivate an audience of romance gremlins, they're juveniles who want nothing other than to pick the most "good" options and be rewarded with cheap erotica and perfect endings, any failure to meet these creatively-restrictive and unimaginative expectations results in massive tempie-tantrums across all their social media channels.

Reinhardt

Arcane
What's the issue with the Eldar?
2e1.png

lightbane

Arcane
Since I'll wait until the game is out and I'll probably have forgotten by then, I wish to know something about the Eldar companion:

If you recruit her, she'll inevitably betray you, as expected. What happens if you don't have her in your party once she joins? I suppose she forces herself into the party anyway to trigger the betrayal event, right? Just to know, a minor curiosity.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Drukhari already have a spy embedded amongst your servants, if you have her around she will catch that character in the act, kill them, and make a deal with the dark eldar herself. You get a completely different scene transitioning to act 3 depending if she's around or not.

Yosharian

Arcane

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
DarkTide was good.
No. There is so much wrong with Darktide (and had been for months) that calling it "good" is outright misleading people.

DarkTide is simultaneously the best 40k horde shooter ever made and also a piece of trash.

It's like the base game and music were made by god-tier devs, and then they just handed the project over to the post-launch team that was supposed to handle multiplayer, balancing, content, monetization etc.

And that team was nothing but gretchin.

1687030981794.png

hayst

Educated
Was it ever clarified if space combat was going to get an optional setting? It's not as bad as WoTR crusade management but I'd still rather not do it.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The space combat is actually very enjoyable in this one. Compared to Kingmaker and Wrath where I just wanted to mod out the kingdom management and army battles, I actually went my to look for more of the ship battles. Only thing I dislike is fighting against eldar or druchi ships, since their dodge shit makes it time consuming to deal with them and torpedos are the only thing that always goes through.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom