Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Classes being repetitive is somewhat accurate to the Pnp game, where classes shared a similar list of skills and talents to buy with EXP, but what did they get varied on the class, with a few exceptions being more unique than the others such as the psyker classes.
I disagree!
Classes did get different things. Some missed out on good talents or skills, some didn't get weapon proficiencies of certain types, and some got them a lot earlier or a lot later (there's a big difference between getting heavy las proficiency at 1000 xp or at 4000 xp, or not at all).
Some skills were shared though. Everyone got dodge pretty early (but not everyone got it at level 1) for example.

Iirc, class design was a lot better in dh than rt though, rt classed had really boring advancement schema.

whatever_man

Barely Literate
Is it possible to get Yrliet in your crew if you didn't take her right away after the final fight during agriworld questline? Now she just stands on a beach where you fought the eldars and there's no option to speak with her.

lightbane

Arcane
Classes did get different things. Some missed out on good talents or skills, some didn't get weapon proficiencies of certain types, and some got them a lot earlier or a lot later (there's a big difference between getting heavy las proficiency at 1000 xp or at 4000 xp, or not at all).
That's why you went for the prestige classes if you wanted something your base class lacks. Although I'm certain most classes had mandatory stuff such as having weapon proficiencies, even if it was very late.

Iirc, class design was a lot better in dh than rt though, rt classed had really boring advancement schema.
It made certain classes VERY powerful, such as the tech priest, who gets both science abilities and combat ones plus exclusive bionics, thus making dedicated warriors feel useless.
The other classes didn't have much choice regarding character advancement, yes.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Sister Argenta romance when?
He answered this one. Her chastity will forever remain intact.

Strange. I mean, I understand artistic reasons, but it's strange decisions from a marketing perspective. Lovable Sister of Battle seems a mine of gold.
No Argenta romance, alas

You will regret it!

By the way, what "greatest victories" you prepare for Adept in character creator?
Are you talking about Triumph? It's still under development, I can't tell you about it just yet, sorry

Yes, I thought about that. I know you cannot say any details, but, please, during development consider specific of Adept class or other less popular choices :)

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Classes being repetitive is somewhat accurate to the Pnp game, where classes shared a similar list of skills and talents to buy with EXP, but what did they get varied on the class, with a few exceptions being more unique than the others such as the psyker classes.
I disagree!
Some skills were shared though. Everyone got dodge pretty early (but not everyone got it at level 1) for example.

Could you purchase talents/skills outside your career for a premium price, the way fantasy did?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It made certain classes VERY powerful, such as the tech priest, who gets both science abilities and combat ones plus exclusive bionics, thus making dedicated warriors feel useless.
You're still limited by xp though, but they were pretty good yeah. But scum and assassins could get stealth, guardsmen could get some talking abilities, techpriests got neither.
Although I'm certain most classes had mandatory stuff such as having weapon proficiencies, even if it was very late.
Iirc adepts didn't get a single ranged weapon proficiency until level 3 or something (and for all the talk of prestige classes, there weren't that many, any many had stringent rp requirements and were not that different from the base class). And at that point guardsmen had access to heavy weapons. You also had stuff like dual wielding, multiple melee attacks per turn, different stat costs (paying 800xp for a total of +20 is very different from paying 500xp for +5) which made classes feel differently good at stuff.

Could you purchase talents/skills outside your career for a premium price, the way fantasy did?
Iirc there was some "you can talk to your gm about making your own prestige class, or about buying a skill outside the regular advancement" but nothing concrete. I don't recall fantasy having concrete rules for it either?

Joyvankek

Learned
Sister Argenta romance when?
He answered this one. Her chastity will forever remain intact.

Strange. I mean, I understand artistic reasons, but it's strange decisions from a marketing perspective. Lovable Sister of Battle seems a mine of gold.
No Argenta romance, alas

You will regret it!

By the way, what "greatest victories" you prepare for Adept in character creator?
Are you talking about Triumph? It's still under development, I can't tell you about it just yet, sorry
Could you tell someone to please let us reset our companion skills?
I don't understand why do we have to be stuck with pre-made shitty choices when we recruit them.
Are you guys getting off on it? It was the same in both of Pathfinders. Just why?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, I don't know why they just won't let us to level up class from 2. I understand companions coming with their own set classes because of story reasons, but coming across a level 10 companion who has a bunch of levels and skills in something you wouldn't take is a bother.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2186680/view/3660911002210626147

Update 0.2.1al is live for Rogue Trader Beta!

470774fab3438c1a788645a6421adcf1afa8a40b.jpg

Update 0.2.1al is live for Rogue Trader Beta!

Changelog (Beware of possible spoilers below!):
  • Adept's "Reactive Study" was stacking buffs permanently and infinitely - fixed, the game should no longer take long pauses after each action in ground combat. If you saved during combat, you need to finish it for the fix to become active.
  • An event with Abelard and Avrilla Vent could get stuck, blocking further progress - fixed. If you still experience this problem on an older save, go to the captain's quarters and return to the bridge

Parabalus

Arcane
You're still limited by xp though, but they were pretty good yeah. But scum and assassins could get stealth, guardsmen could get some talking abilities, techpriests got neither.
Although I'm certain most classes had mandatory stuff such as having weapon proficiencies, even if it was very late.
Iirc adepts didn't get a single ranged weapon proficiency until level 3 or something (and for all the talk of prestige classes, there weren't that many, any many had stringent rp requirements and were not that different from the base class). And at that point guardsmen had access to heavy weapons. You also had stuff like dual wielding, multiple melee attacks per turn, different stat costs (paying 800xp for a total of +20 is very different from paying 500xp for +5) which made classes feel differently good at stuff.

Iirc there was some "you can talk to your gm about making your own prestige class, or about buying a skill outside the regular advancement" but nothing concrete. I don't recall fantasy having concrete rules for it either?
If there's really another 2nd tier prestige class coming, and then another 3rd tier of 4 classes on top that's much more than I expected and extremely awesome.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
WTF is Yrliet in Act III ? Was whoever wrote that on drugs or is subverting expectations crap again like with Miss "Im Helpful Im I not ?"

Seriously i have zero problem with her backstabing us , i do however have problem with her doing it in so idiotic way and with no gain for her. Eldars are cunning backstabbers, not fucking unhinged Tzentchians.

Last edited:

CaesarCzech

Scholar
So, no posibility for "Slaanesh corrupted Sister of Battle" subplot? Bummer...

On one hand, I think there's only been one or two cases where a SOB actually fell to chaos corruption. They're supposed to be notoriously incorruptible.

On the other hand, if the game's popular enough there'll be plenty of fetish mods.

I mean WoTR got whole Woljif Romance mod, so Owlcat mod scene is finally starting to be alive after Bugmaker and WoTR and WH40K is much more popular. so i think if its just dialogue changes and ending slides + companion not being removed i think its possible.

Mauman

Scholar
WTF is Yrliet in Act III ? Was whoever wrote that on drugs or is subverting expectations crap again like with Miss "Im Helpful Im I not ?"

Seriously i have zero problem with her backstabing us , i do however have problem with her doing it in so idiotic way and with no gain for her. Eldars are cunning backstabbers, not fucking unhinged Tzentchians.
Uh...no...no they're not.

They're extremely self-defeating quite often in the lore.

Backstabbing us low mon-keighs because they pridefully think they're better than us when (from an outsider's perspective) others would go "that's idiotic" is completely in character for Eldar.

CaesarCzech

Scholar

To the point she doesnt even try to lie or come up with a sob story to try to get a second shot at betrayal ? I dont think they are suicidal in lore. The way its writen its like with Spacewolves and obsession with word Wolf, its a memetic exageration of lore. and i think its case here. Seriously play it you will see what got me in Tizzy.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron

40k lore is often retarded, more news at 11.

The way to write interesting eldar/human interactions is that the millennia of mistrust and betrayal from both sides prevents them from fully trusting eachother, which the other side notices and takes as proof of impending betrayal, leading to more betrayal even though it would be rational for them to work together 99% of the time. See also the winter assault campaign in dow.

When either side just goes *stabs you in the back* "lol. lmao" it's bad writing.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Any ETA on the release date?

Hopefully Owlcat pushes it to next year as this year is majorly crowded with high profile releases.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom