Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

MartinK

Learned
What makes chaos the baddies besides chaos being in general tolerant and inclusive?

Longes

Augur
What makes chaos the baddies besides chaos being in general tolerant and inclusive?
They are liberals.

0nXx1DD.png

Trithne

Erudite
They are liberals.

More seriously, the problem with Chaos is that as much as Chaos might seem like a reprieve from the Imperium's tyranny, inevitably it turns to ruin and then daemons running amok in the streets. Chaos is unrestrained emotion and behaviour, whether that be bloody barbarism, nihilistic slothfulness, decadent excess, or betrayal and selfishness - In the end Chaos turns all to ruin.

So yes, they're liberals.

Owlcat_Eyler - Abelard's charge seems to be awfully buggy. A few times he just doesn't attack the target at the end of the charge, and just now I tried to have him charge and he just levitated on the spot, which rendered him useless as he now couldn't move or attack in melee.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I'm not sure if somebody said something about that (probably yes), but what with writing? I'm not asking about lore schticks, a bit more about overall quality and quantity. I was turned by their last game, WoT, and countless pages of childish, teen-giggling, occasionally simply boring writing. No matter if you are dwarf, humar, assimar or a vampire, nearly nobody acknowledges this.. Also, I cannot not to mention about Anevia-Irabeth questline.
I know it's from the original campaign, but still, Owlcat, and all this knee-pandering, made this impenetrable for me. I know that for Codexers writing is not important, personally I also don't respect gaming writers graphomania (with exceptions), but, no matter if we like this or not, that is a big part of modern RPG.

So, how it looks in this game? Did escape from Paizo contracts made Owlcat writing any better?
I fucking hated Pathfinder for the exact reasons you explained, it's 100x better in Rogue Trader. It's replaced with the technobabble typical of 40k and there's a few people who delve into the zany territory sometimes (the psyker) but it's not every character like the Pathfinder games. I don't have any specific examples but as someone who's triggered more by bad nuwriting than anything else in RPGs nowadays, I'm pleasantly surprised given their past work and enjoy how much more grim it is.
Yesterday I played a bit in beta and I agree with you. Yes, game is flashy like Starfinder and you can make quips to principals, but, overall, it's completely different level of craft.

Especially I like combat, it was refreshingly tactical. First time since, I don't know, fifteen years, I got real technique that uses all range of marksmanship. Also - no camping after spells is welcomed.

Riso

Arcane
Oh I dunno, maybe its the demons? I'm not sure about you, but getting brutally murdered, subjected to every disease in existence, rape-tortured for the lulz or just rendered insane doesn't seem like a good time to me.

Ah, but when you're insane you don't mind the other stuff.

lightbane

Arcane
Glad to see from the spoilers that the game follows canon, even if that means screwing you with certain companion choices. Regarding psyker origin options, chances are it will end badly for the MC as he should be taken to be trained for his psykery stuff, unless an inquisitor vouches for him.

More seriously, the problem with Chaos is that as much as Chaos might seem like a reprieve from the Imperium's tyranny, inevitably it turns to ruin and then daemons running amok in the streets. Chaos is unrestrained emotion and behaviour, whether that be bloody barbarism, nihilistic slothfulness, decadent excess, or betrayal and selfishness - In the end Chaos turns all to ruin.

I like it when some morons try to say "Imperium and Chaos are just as bad!", when the Imperium doesn't skull-fuck your soul for all eternity and has good intentions in mind, while Chaos is 100% evil by design.

Mauman

Scholar
Besides the wanton murder, rape, plague spreading, cannibalism, and other general fuckery?

I dunno...
Regarding psyker origin options, chances are it will end badly for the MC as he should be taken to be trained for his psykery stuff, unless an inquisitor vouches for him.
Psyker MC is already a Sanctioned Psyker.

Might be the best player choice as evidently our "sanctioned" psyker is
corrupted goods :/

lightbane

Arcane
I don't remember Sanctioned Psykers being allowed to have Warrants of Trade, Psykers usually end up in the army or Inquisition, but I guess weirder stuff has happened. I thought that as a psyker the MC was a rogue psyker, untested, unsactioned, and a time bomb for the foolish player that took this character option.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
If an already Sanctioned Psyker receives the Warrant, the Imperium would likely let it go. Adeptus Terra don't fuck around with Warrants as a general rule.

Longes

Augur
Besides the wanton murder, rape, plague spreading, cannibalism, and other general fuckery?

I dunno...
Regarding psyker origin options, chances are it will end badly for the MC as he should be taken to be trained for his psykery stuff, unless an inquisitor vouches for him.

Idira is an Unsanctioned Psyker.

Heidrix, the Lord Inquisitor's Interrogator is probably sanctioned, but he's missing either trait in the beta so who knows

La vie sexuelle

Learned

I dunno...

Idira is an Unsanctioned Psyker.

Heidrix, the Lord Inquisitor's Interrogator is probably sanctioned, but he's missing either trait in the beta so who knows

Why unsanctioned psyker is on imperial ship as crewmember?

It because she was lady captain lover?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Psyker < Blank

Psykers are 100% more trouble than they're worth, with the only exception being the God Emperor of Mankind.

Blanks are rarer, can buttfuck greater daemons, farseers, and even the tyranid hivemind just by being in the general vicinity.

1686604465464.png

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Psyker < Blank

Psykers are 100% more trouble than they're worth, with the only exception being the God Emperor of Mankind.

Blanks are rarer, can buttfuck greater daemons, farseers, and even the tyranid hivemind just by being in the general vicinity.

View attachment 37325
Reject Psykers. Embrace Pariahs
300px-NecronPariah.JPG

Daily reminder that GW is why we can't have nice things. Where's my fucking anti-psyker advanced crons, James?

Joyvankek

Learned
Glad to see from the spoilers that the game follows canon, even if that means screwing you with certain companion choices. Regarding psyker origin options, chances are it will end badly for the MC as he should be taken to be trained for his psykery stuff, unless an inquisitor vouches for him.

I like it when some morons try to say "Imperium and Chaos are just as bad!", when the Imperium doesn't skull-fuck your soul for all eternity and has good intentions in mind, while Chaos is 100% evil by design.
Not exactly just evil. The problem is they're 100% extreme, be it love, hate, good or evil.
The more extreme is the emotion, the more energy for the entity.
Chaos can... or could be tamed. When you know what you're doing you can pretty much treat it like smarter animal that is still chained to it's instinct, which make it predictable. Though in case of Chaos Gods it's closer to sentien/sapien(in Lovecraftian sense) storm of raw emotion, energies hopes and nightmares. Neverheless it has been done before.
Again look at Eldars at their peak. They created god-like beings to serve singular purpose. They were tools basically.

There was that other xeno species who grew resistant to chaos, forgot their name sadly, but maybe somebody from here will remember. Their whole technology was similar to what Mechanicus have, the main difference was, that instead of machine spirits they used demons instead. Which is a bold strategy, just imagine your civilization computers instead of windows/linux are ran on WarpOS. Their ships were distinctive, since they were connected by semi-stable warp portals.

Though IoM crushed them, and then Inquisition destroyed every trace of their existence. Lucky that there was no Xanthite Inquisitor around.
That reminds me, it's a true shame we don't have more stuff about Phaenonite Ex-Inquisitors, a group that rejects both the Emperor and Chaos, while wanting to lead mankind into dominating both technology and Chaos itself.

Psyker < Blank

View attachment 37325
Notion rejected by the most Holy Orders of Inquisition.
arnGz4K_700bwp.webp

Last edited:

Trithne

Erudite
Because no one tells the rogue traders what to do
But she was boarded when it was an official imperial endeavor.
It was always a RT ship. Your predecessor found and recruited her, and Rogue Traders have the liberty to do what they want.

Unsanctioned Psykers are plenty common when you get into the higher tiers of Imperial society, because everyone wants an ace up their sleeve.

lightbane

Arcane
Chaos can... or could be tamed. When you know what you're doing you can pretty much treat it like smarter animal that is still chained to it's instinct, which make it predictable. Though in case of Chaos Gods it's closer to sentien/sapien(in Lovecraftian sense) storm of raw emotion, energies hopes and nightmares. Neverheless it has been done before.
Spoken like every fool that thought that evil can be tamed.

Again look at Eldars at their peak. They created god-like beings to serve singular purpose. They were tools basically.
It's a bit different. The gods they created were entities that ruled over the eldar, sort of. Khaine killed lots of Eldar and got away with minimal punishment. I believe these entities were created by the Old Ones, who have super-tech and cheat so they don't count.

There was that other xeno species who grew resistant to chaos, forgot their name sadly, but maybe somebody from here will remember. Their whole technology was similar to what Mechanicus have, the main difference was, that instead of machine spirits they used demons instead. Which is a bold strategy, just imagine your civilization computers instead of windows/linux are ran on WarpOS. Their ships were distinctive, since they were connected by semi-stable warp portals.
The Y'vann or something? It was implied they were evil to the core, as expected from someone that uses Warp as a power-source. Even if your intentions are righteous, the Warp is simply too corrupted. You would have to find a mythical part of the warp that is not infested with literal EVIL! energies to make an engine out of it, then add a super-purifier just to be sure. And be wary of daemons.

Unsanctioned Psykers are plenty common when you get into the higher tiers of Imperial society, because everyone wants an ace up their sleeve.

The ability to explode people with your mind is tempting.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I wish chaos wasn't as wanked in all Warhammer settings. It would be more interesting for chaos to just be a endemic threat within sentients instead of this thing that looms over like a like a heat death of the universe + gazillion gary stue evil space marines. You already have tyranids and orks being able to consume or irreversibly infect whole planets so the warp doesn't need that role.

Joyvankek

Learned
Spoken like every fool that thought that evil can be tamed.
The mechanics of how the warp works can be used to create new warp gods/entities, and to change shape of already existing beings.
I never said it would be something easy to do, or even possible at this point, with the warp at it's current state. That still is the cluster fuck of madness after the birth of Slaanesh.
It's a bit different. The gods they created were entities that ruled over the eldar, sort of. Khaine killed lots of Eldar and got away with minimal punishment. I believe these entities were created by the Old Ones, who have super-tech and cheat so they don't count.
The Old Ones probably taught this to Eldars or the Eldars stole the knowledge of how to do it, just like they did with most of "their" tech, then later on lost the knowledge and became more and more subservient to these beings until eventually they started to outright worship them. One way or another it was done, and it does count, just because it contradict your narrow minded and foolish approach doesn't make it any less valid.
The Y'vann or something? It was implied they were evil to the core, as expected from someone that uses Warp as a power-source. Even if your intentions are righteous, the Warp is simply too corrupted. You would have to find a mythical part of the warp that is not infested with literal EVIL! energies to make an engine out of it, then add a super-purifier just to be sure. And be wary of daemons.
I think so. Yeah they were evil as fuck, their society was as fucked as the Dark Eldars one, if I remember it right. My point is they were hardened if not immune to your standard corrupting effect of the warp. And minor warp entities weren't as much of a threat to them, as they are to anyone else in the galaxy.

At this point to somehow mend the warp one would need to exterminate like half of life in the galaxy and then created religion, to get another God that could decrease influence of Chaos Gods. And even then that's a long shot. Since these Gods already have shitload of power after all that happen to the galaxy in recent 10k years, and they would still feed on emotions of those that are alive.
It's possible that Eldars fucked it up so hard, that you would need a hard reset of the warp at this point.
Something that Nids are doing, if the theory about them being creations of the Old Ones is true.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom