Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mauman

Scholar
Same with Eldar. Though not sure what that would make her. She couldn't fall to chaos, at least not in conventional way for obvious reasons.

There are some mentions of Eldar either worshipping or tainted by chaos in the lore, some fairly fresh.
Eldars always were a bunch of degenerates. In fact warp is in such a sorry state thanks to them. So again they are not only corrupted, they are the very source of certain type of corruption.
Well... I'm giving them too much credit here. Eldars were the final nail in Realm of Souls' coffin, after what Old Ones and Necrons did with the place.

They were creating Gods as tools until they fucked up(literally), and created the very God/ess that ate around 90% of their kin. In fact those who survived. Now they're either go full degenerates to replenish their souls with pain and suffering of others, since Slaanesh is constantly draining their souls. Or go for the paths approach so they don't get too much of hard on, which would attract the unwanted attention.
Now you're telling me, that some of them are mad enough to worship chaos, and not getting instantly eaten by Slaanesh? How does that work in their very special case?
Is this yet another case of GW having no idea what they're doing with the lore?
Maybe they're going for the "Constantine method"? As in, sell your soul to every bidder so no one can claim it?

I mean, it's still stupid because it probably won't work.

Nm6k

Scholar
I could see Slaanesh being so amused by their stupidity that they would let them live for a bit longer before nomming on their souls that or the other gods have a way to keep corrupted Eldar from being instantly eated. Either way I most likely put more though into it then whatever writer that wrote that.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Imagine being eldar. Created by literal gods to be the perfect psychic weapon. The most powerful race in the galaxy. Fuck it all up by being such degenerates you actually create a god of degeneracy that nukes 99% of your species.

Now imagine being human. You're born into a galaxy of untold suffering, just one among uncounted trillions. The only gods still alive are evil and want to eat your soul. The only person keeping you and the rest of your species from extinction and worse is a mummy on a fancy chair that's about to break.

Do you give up? Fuck no, you grab a lasgun and start shooting.

1686464331845.png

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Imagine being eldar. Created by literal gods to be the perfect psychic weapon. The most powerful race in the galaxy. Fuck it all up by being such degenerates you actually create a god of degeneracy that nukes 99% of your species.

Unfortunately, we don't have to imagine very hard to see this. This just isn't normally what I imagine elves to look like, but it all makes sense now.

Edit: Pic should be there now, was having some technical difficulties. :P

ezgif-3-3c9fd22dc3.jpg

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Now you're telling me, that some of them are mad enough to worship chaos, and not getting instantly eaten by Slaanesh? How does that work in their very special case?

For strictly core publications, 8th edition had an image of what seems to be an Eldar mutated by Slaanesh, possibly from one of the Crone Worlds. DE Codex had a bunch of Haemonculi claimed by Khorne, so we know other gods can own Eldar souls. On the Black Library front, one of the Phoenix Lord novels has Slaanesh worshipping Eldar. There were some Mandrakes tainted by Tzeentch I think? Then again, it's Mandrakes, so maybe a bad example.

As I said, not much, but it can happen; it just takes extraordinary circumstances. Sort of like a SoB falling to corruption.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Game could definitely use a willpower-focused support class
What psychic powers do psykers get in this?
Admittedly a lot of the psychic powers in the TT were self-only buffs, but there were normal debuffs/buffs as well.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Game could definitely use a willpower-focused support class
What psychic powers do psykers get in this?
Admittedly a lot of the psychic powers in the TT were self-only buffs, but there were normal debuffs/buffs as well.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ames-now-in-beta.143159/page-200#post-8506623
Not sure why there's such a random selection of scaling via wpb or psy rating, but that's a decent selection of combat spells (at least for some of the schools). I guess spell failure and negative effects of casting are not in the game? And no out of combat spells as well.

Smells like decline.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
And no out of combat spells as well.

Game is basically massive dungeon crawler from one dungeon to another

Frankly after playing two PF games vs KOTC and this, I prefer to not have out side combat prebuffing. Makes action economy actually matter. If anything pre-buffing everything seems much more of a decline in combat perspective

Longes

Augur
I guess spell failure and negative effects of casting are not in the game?
You don't just randomly blow up on every cast, but every cast from every psyker in the battle builds up a communal veil breach bar, and when it gets full something happens. What happens? I don't know, I only had one psyker on my team and quickly shot enemy psykers, so it never got filled.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
You don't just randomly blow up on every cast, but every cast from every psyker in the battle builds up a communal veil breach bar, and when it gets full something happens. What happens? I don't know, I only had one psyker on my team and quickly shot enemy psykers, so it never got filled.

I know its a bit noob question, but how works abilities? We have melee, shooting, psyker...something more? There also should be others, non combat, like opening locks etc.How that's work in Beta?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

I know its a bit noob question, but how works abilities? We have melee, shooting, psyker...something more? There also should be others, non combat, like opening locks etc.How that's work in Beta?

Most locks are opened by either Mechanic or Explosive skills. If you fails without using item the door can get locked (usually just optionals doors/chest)

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
What talents or abilities do you guys view as essential? So far, the talent that grants wounds based on level seems liken a must. Another must-have imo is the biomancer heal.
This thread is so positive and heartwarming!

It must be purged.
Haha, okay. Then... tell me how you liked the first encounter with the (spoiler) Chaos Space Marine after Act I? If you've played the beta already.

Spoiler tags don't work for me for some reason...
It's an interesting encounter. I hope we can become buds with Word Bearers on Hereticus, Word Bearers are cool.

Difficulty level and your build affect it a lot. On Normal it's pretty easy, on Core it's brutal.
Build-wise, an Adept MC can wipe single-target enemies no problem by stacking Insight turn 1, and doing big burst fire turn 2. Idira and Pasqal are bad at this, so if you are not an Adept yourself boss fights get a lot harder.
I finished the World Bearer fight on Core last night. It took a couple of tries but it was satisfying. The sniper and goon waves did not feel excessive either.

The plasma weapon you find just before this fight made a huge difference against the enemy waves and the CSM in later rounds. Also, I couldn't tell whether my debuffs were stacking, or whether the CSM took progressively more damager with each ship he destroyed. Towards the end, the plasma weapon did 20-30+ damage per shot. Otherwise, the number one priority was keeping enough party members alive into the later rounds for when the CSM took more damage. Biomancer heal on both my MC and the inquisitor and medkits on the Navy Officer felt essential.

If the penalties for spamming psyker powers were more severe, this fight would have been incredibly difficult though. I was spamming the Navigator buffs like Fist of the North Star.

Last edited:

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Most locks are opened by either Mechanic or Explosive skills. If you fails without using item the door can get locked (usually just optionals doors/chest)

Sounds nice. But it also could be trapped for Owlcat (in longer perspective). They don't have resources to check every possibility that more frisky gamers could to do. I hope that abilities-possibilities balance don't end in overcontrol.

Longes

Augur
If the penalties for spamming psyker powers were more severe, this fight would have been incredibly difficult though. I was spamming the Navigator buffs like Fist of the North Star.
I don't think Navigator skills count for the warp breach?

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think Navigator skills count for the warp breach?
I'll double check later today, but one or more of her abilities seemed to shift the meter on the CSM fight.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
And no out of combat spells as well.

Game is basically massive dungeon crawler from one dungeon to another

Frankly after playing two PF games vs KOTC and this, I prefer to not have out side combat prebuffing. Makes action economy actually matter. If anything pre-buffing everything seems much more of a decline in combat perspective
In the TT the reason you would not do this is every active spell needs to be maintained and makes further casting harder, so even at a reasonable best you could prebuff very few things. And because every cast has a chance to trigger bad things, doing the prebuff could easily foil your ambush.

Sounds a bit lame.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Fetish mods are mostly poor quality
lmao at implying that the fetish OC story from wotr were any better.

Well, it should be. Modders are amateurs. Professional writers are professionals, which means they they were checked before being hired etc.
The current edition of Pathfinder and DnD are written by "professional" writers. Most of WoTR is based on that, including Irabeth and Anevia which are canonical characters.
Professional in the entertainment industry, especially the more "geeky" stuff does not mean competent or good in these days, it just means they are getting paid.

Just look at the current state of AAA games. Unfinished, poorly written, ugly schlock.

Last edited:

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Fetish mods are mostly poor quality
lmao at implying that the fetish OC story from wotr were any better.

Well, it should be. Modders are amateurs. Professional writers are professionals, which means they they were checked before being hired etc.
The current edition of Pathfinder and DnD are written by "professional" writers. Most of WoTR is based on that, including Irabeth and Anevia which are canonical characters.
Professional in the entertainment industry, especially the more "geeky" stuff does not mean competent or good in these days, it just means they are getting paid.

Just look at the current state of AAA games. Unfinished, poorly written, ugly schlock.
Yes, I know. It's even more terrifying if you know how old are WotR books are and in what place now Paizo is.
But still, there is some kind of editing. The text isn't good, but in some frames. Let's call that "calculated cringe". In mods world there is much more...room to move.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom