Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Skorpion

Educated
About how many hours of content is in the beta, anyone know?
I know it just released but I was curious if owlcat mentioned somewhere I missed
70 or so hours. It depends on your gaming style
woah thats a lot more than I expected, alright thank you for the answer
The alpha was for 40 hours and had only Act II(a big one though), the beta has Prologue, Act I, Act II, and Act III
Oh Im downloading now, yours is one of the only companies I still trust to make a great game no questions asked.
other than the *ahembugsahem* but even those eventually get patched out :salute:

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Largest current discussion on the steams forums:

1685667968918.png

I wish I was enjoying the game but I'm stuck in the "I paid and don't want to click it twice and get double-charged" category.

-sigh-

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I have only put about an hour or so into it:
  • I am eager to try more of the class and ability options. I started with a fighter/divination psyker, and there are some cool crit or defensive feats.
  • Compared to KM and WotR, I find the the music and the introduction to the setting to be much improved. Furthermore, the pace feels much faster than WotR (not a complaint). You are thrown into action relatively quickly. Only complaint is that, even if you have a melee character focused character, you start with a laspistol and no melee weapon from what I can tell. Due to my lack of ballistics training, I couldn't hit shit. Perhaps the intent was to make sure the player, especially a new player, couldn't rush into an instakill situation and die in the tutorial.
  • Compared to Wotr, the companions didn't cause me to roll my eyes and/or instant skip their dialogue. The voice lines of the female pysker companion is a little off-putting to me due to the accent.
  • Core difficulty is too easy.

Last edited:

Longes

Augur
You buy psychic powers instead of buying your class' normal active abilities and buy psyker talents (like Psy Rating 1-4)

What is the maximum psy rating which you can get in this game? And do you have a list of all biomancies in the beta?
"Psy Rating 1-4" means maximum is 4. As a psyker, you start with Psy Rating 0.

Psy Rating talent alludes to unlocking more powers if you buy it, but I can make a list of what you can buy at 0.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
The alpha was for 40 hours and had only Act II(a big one though), the beta has Prologue, Act I, Act II, and Act III
Not sure if you are at liberty to answer this, but could you confirm whether you are meant to be able to cast the psyker buffs out of combat? Because they are pretty powerful permanent buffs(but taking up an ability slot feels non-trivial in this progression) so I would be very curious if that's intentional or just a bug, since the tooltip only speaks about combat duration.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
It seems you cannot move after shooting, even with Pistols.. stupid Xcom system..

You can move after shooting/attacking with specific skills - it requires a bit of knowledge of the system and proper character builds, though I understand the newcomers might be annoyed for a while before they figure things out.

Anyway, just a few quick notes after 5 hours with the beta:

- character creation is now very fleshed out, with multiple backgrounds (you can now be a psyker too - I wonder if the devs planed this all along or caved in to the people who were shouting for it) and has considerable resemblence to the PnP system (its by no means 1:1, but you get to choose stuff like the biggest triumph and darkest hour of your character, there are many homeworld options etc), not all this is implemented yet but lots of these choices will apparently have impact on gameplay outside of stat changes (I assume unique dialogue options etc)
- system for leveling up got changed quite a bit, though I will certainly need way more time in game before I pass judgement on it
- content-wise you now start at what seems to be the very start of the game and get to meet your ancestor briefly while she still lives, then start dealing with the main storyline, take over the ship as the new Rogue Trader and start fixing the ship up and getting more people onboard
- the first mini-boss that I fought whooped my ass a few times (playing on "Core" difficulty) and required a bit thinking to get done right, you need to be familiar with how the system works as I mentioned above, so learning curve for new players might be a bit steep (to be fair, devs warn you about this in the difficulty selection)

TLDR: a lot more flesh on the bones in char creation and a new leveling system. Will report back with more.

Longes

Augur
Okay, so I was wrong about the Psy Ratings. Psy Rating 2 requires level 20, 3 30, 4 40. So it'll take you a while to actually get them.

Also it looks like Telepathy and Telekinesis are mostly unimplemented - Telepathy has one power and no passives, Telekinesis has two. Getting more psy ranks doesn't unlock anything.

Biomancy powers:
Q5s1Hkz.png

SCBqVYV.png

AzLBnl3.png

mZKNFj2.png

KI5U9lB.png

u64A8Wm.png

Biomancy passives:
xyZj0n4.png

Fde5tF0.png

tjTIfPN.png

Divination powers:
gAl59l3.png

19hZ8o7.png

QxCxlh7.png

Lmn6lSO.png

Divination passives:
EZ62G1p.png

F7foFQj.png

fRyWwJp.png

2COZEDH.png

2JOT4k2.png

Telekinesis powers:
OkYfVSF.png

t7ZC2Bz.png

Telepathy power:
8RDr4F5.png

What I'm wondering if whether you'll have psyker options in dialogues. What's rough about being a psyker is that you want to pump Willpower to the max, and Willpower has no skills attached to it. In the tabletop that's not an issue since you can use your psyker powers out of combat. Here, all psyker powers are combat-related, so you might get kind of pigeonholed if you go full psyker.

hayst

Educated
Just built a character and played a little. A lot of the options I'd normally would've chosen have the warning beta tag thing so I ended up with an atypical build for myself. Probably going to work out well to learn the game and replay it with my preferred character when this is more polished.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Psy Rating 2 requires level 20, 3 30, 4 40. So it'll take you a while to actually get them.

Makes sense. With psy rating of 5, we are talking about "alpha" psykers. 4 is already upper beta. Many powers seems to scale with psy rating. With psy rating = 0, they do nothing? TBH I din't liked much the biomancy powers so far. Where is bio lightning? Blood boil? Shape flesh? Constrict? Life Leech? There are so many interesting abilities in Dark Heresy TT game and if you are a bit creative, you could make powers which transmute blood into poison or other interesting stuff. Seems to just have buffs, debuffs and heal.

But boring or not, I wonder how powerful the space marine companion buffed with "iron arm" and warp speed will gonna be...

Here, all psyker powers are combat-related

Can you at least buff or heal out of combat or is the situation where you will go into a place full of deadly poisons and must be in combat to heal the poison or protect your party from poison?

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
Can you at least buff or heal out of combat or is the situation where you will go into a place full of deadly poisons and must be in combat to heal the poison or protect your party from poison?

Currently you can use some psyker powers out of combat, but I'm afraid it might not be intentional because it is kinda really strong and well it doesn't work for all powers.

For example the str buff doesn't work out of combat, however the PER/INT/FEL/Willpower buff as well as the Dodge buff both work out of combat. Tho the dodge buff mostly just saves you an action point cast rather than having any use. Still being able to walk around with your entire party(including the PC) having a cheeky +10 to 4 characteristics is extremely powerful imo. Not only to make skill checks and exploration easier but also because many combat abilities scale with these attributes.

I will note that what I am giving out is hardely super accurate information. For examle, maybe the reason why I can't cast the str buff out of combat is because I learned it on the psyker companion on the rather than on the PC and me being able to cast the other buffs out of combat is simply some bug relating to psyker PCs. I haven't really done accurate testing in any way so take it all with a grain of salt.

Also, no psyker dialogue choices so far, but the game tells you they are in progress so I assume full version should have them. I would also disagree that the character creation is super detailed. It is missing like 2 steps in the beta and a lot of the other options are a step less flavorful than the tabletop choices. There is potential there but so far it's kinda barebones, but yeah - beta.

Because most powers scale off the psyker's WP bonus?
No they don't. At least not any worth using.

There is also additional "spells" hidden in the form of unique abilities on psyker staves you can find. There is a chain lighting one as well as a debuff that guarantees the next hit will crit an enemy that I have found so far.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
"where iz muh pewpew!"

Your logic :
Flamethrower = Respectable weapon
Pyrokinesis = Pewpew, awesome button

I'm not only interested in psyker powers in this game, when more info comes mainly about weapons, I will gonna talk about it.

It doesn't honestly. Starting at Psy Rating 0 as a "Sanctioned Psyker" is absurd. Psy Rating 0 would get fed to the throne or turned into an Astropath if lucky.

Yep. But I was talking about the long time required to get a single psy rating.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Your logic :
Flamethrower = Respectable weapon
Pyrokinesis = Pewpew, awesome button

I'm not only interested in psyker powers in this game, when more info comes mainly about weapons, I will gonna talk about it.
no, victor, it's exactly that. victor before "me wanna be many biomancy! me upgrade 'umies!" developers: "ok, here is your biomancy with 'umie upgrades!" victor: "DAFUG IZ DIS SHEEEIIIT! WHERE IZ MUH BIOMANCY PEWPEW!"

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
there is a 20 enemy fight literlaly every 1 minute of walking

yep that's owlcat allright

they should have made an only war game instead lmao

Sarathiour

Cipher
Phew, sorry, got here just now.
Soooo, how are you doing here?
You'll need to reveal that one your developers is gay and/or a pedophile if you want this thread to become more active.

(Don't do this)

I guess I'll preorder the game now and get the beta.
Brevity is the wit of the soul, newsbot.

You don't need to be so redundant in your statement.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
"me wanna be many biomancy! me upgrade 'umies!" developers: "ok, here is your biomancy with 'umie upgrades!"

Wrong. I said "Dark Heresy biomancy seems so interesting, I can't wait to test it in a video game" and "ohh, seems boring, I think that if they don't add good stuff, I will go telekinesis" and this after someone posting a long list of ability descriptions. I also talked about the SM companion, the usage of such abilities out of combat and other things but you seems ultra fixed in the offensive use of psyker abilities...

there is a 20 enemy fight literlaly every 1 minute of walking

Is WH, there are hordes of enemies everywhere.

If you can throw a grenade and kills 5 of them, then use a bolter to pierce 3 of them, huge hordes of enemies aren't a problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom