Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Any ETA on the release date?

Hopefully Owlcat pushes it to next year as this year is majorly crowded with high profile releases.
Early '24 seems the most realistic earliest release date anyways.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
See also the winter assault campaign in dow.
IIRC, playing as Eldar meant betraying the human side. If you play as humans, the Eldar will still ditch you at some point.
The eldar and IG end up in a race for the titan while they have a cease fire. They race because they don't really trust eachother. If the guardsmen win they shut the gates behind them, leading to the eldar getting wiped, because the ig commander won't trade any human lives for eldar lives. If the eldar win, the ig leadership dies because of gate shutting, but a lot of lower rank guardsmen are allowed through (not because of charity, because they're super useful as meat shields in the battle to come). If the eldar win the final battle, they hand what remains of the titan to the remains of the IG, sort of allowing them to complete their objective. If the IG win, they do defeat the necrons which is what the eldar came for, but they would have preferred to do it without dying.

But note that this happens after the eldar help the IG from the shadows for two missions, because they think the humans won't accept help from them. The IG notice they are getting help from the shadows, and immediately grow suspicious because any true ally would announce themselves.

Neither side betrays the other for the lulz, they just have slightly different wincons and no real regard for the others life.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
DOW and its expansions (maybe not soulstorm) were such a high watermark for 40k in gaming.

They were far from perfect, but they have not been matched since. Not even close.

-looks at Darktide in disgust-

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
About Chaosbane, Played. Another "dressing game" where his char is nothing and his gear everything instead of a proper RPG, with less RPG on it than shooters like Far Cry 3. This and inquisitor Martyr. This is probably the first proper RPG in WH40k universe.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
About Chaosbane, Played. Another "dressing game" where his char is nothing and his gear everything instead of a proper RPG, with less RPG on it than shooters like Far Cry 3. This and inquisitor Martyr. This is probably the first proper RPG in WH40k universe.
Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters was also marketed as a tactical RPG.
Everything is a RPG these days. People have equated "some skills" with "RPG", which is laughably simplified understanding of what makes a RPG.
That's like saying Farmville is a RTS because its in realtime and you build things.
I blame Skyrim and Borderlands

Peachcurl

Arcane
Yeah, though unlike Chaosbane, Inquisitor Martyr was at least a pretty good Diablo-like. Chaosbane was just to simplistic to be that.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
i think even that mobile dungeon crawler is better rpg game than this.

I think a full adaptation of WHFRPG tabletop would be interesting. You could have a party like: Dwarf Troll Slayer, Human Ratcatcher, and Human Scribe (no magic) fighting a troll with fully implemented stomach acid mechanics.
WFRP also has some of the better RPG modules out there. Following Owlcat's Pathfinder conversion of RPG modules with something like Enemy Within could do very well. Especially if they keep to the same tone of the original content (As they are appearing to do with Rogue Trader)

Speaking of tone, some of the decisions of Rogue Trader even make me wince. Casually condemning thousands to servitorisation for the merest slight is the kind of disregard for human life from powerful members of the Imperium I'd expect. That you can actually do this without blinking an eye is refreshing.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From everything I'm hearing, there is some serious incline here. Instead of getting hyped over Avowed or The Fallout of Outer Skryim's No Man Sky, we should be hyped about Rogue Trader and the possible incline there might be. From people that have played the beta, how does the combat compare to Age of Decadence/Dungeon Rats and Knights of the Chalice I & II in regards to quality?

EvilWolf

Learned
People were hyped before the trailer for some retarded reason. Maybe hype isn't the right word, let's say interested.
I was interested. It seemed like an original RPG IP for once. My hopes were quickly dashed with the absolute trash presented as a "hype trailer" only to be restored by honorable Nippon Atlus with Metaphor.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
From people that have played the beta, how does the combat compare to Age of Decadence/Dungeon Rats and Knights of the Chalice I & II in regards to quality?
It doesn't play like those, much more XCOM-ish with a scaled down version of Battlefleet Gothic for the voidship combat.
I haven't played BG3 yet but it seems like they took a lot of cues from that game, or at least just in the UI department.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's nothing like BG3. That one leans more heavily into environmental interaction and height differences, plus it doesn't have a movement grid.
I like the combat in this one, though the biggest issue in the beta is the class balance. Fighter and gunslinger are great, adept feels very lackluster. Especially since you have two companions whose build and stat profile don't fit the class well and the class ultimate ability is a joke compared to the multiattack thing others get. As for the advanced classes, hunter is great, I have no idea if half of the assassin things even do anything and the guardian straight up doesn't fit the game. It's a frontline tank that needs to have friends close to buff them, but you always want to keep the shooters at back and avoid keeping characters bunched up to minimize damage from rapid fire and the odd AoE damage shot.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How difficult is the combat in comparison to the aforementioned games? Dungeon Rats/Age of Decadence had some amazing encounters that were really damn difficult. Would love to have something with such complexity even if it plays totally different.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom