Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shaki

Arbiter
Kingdom management in Kingmaker was a brilliant idea, and while not executed perfectly, it still added a lot of value to the game. And they added the option for game journos to make the minigame play itself, letting you ignore it completely, so idk why all the crying. Y'all feel like zoomers whining about inclusion of harder difficulty options, because unless the game bends over backwards to make you feel like you're a very smart, very special boy, you won't be satisfied. Just git gud or use journo difficulty and play for "muh story", applies both to main game and minigames.
Because if you actually played the game, you'd know that certain quests and artisan rewards are locked behind kingdom management. If you turn it off, you also lose out on obtaining them

Choice and consequence. Do you also want a button near the entrance to every side area, that lets you get all the xp and loot without actually doing the content, because you just don't feel like fighting enemy x?

No, and do you know why? Because fighting those enemies is actually a fun fucking game you retarded ape
A lot of players would disagree, go to steam forum and read some comments about BG3 or Pahtfinders. Plenty of people who think combat should be pretty much removed because they think it's a slog that takes away from the "fun" parts of the games, eg. "roleplaying", dialogues and romances. You pretty much mirror their arguments, just in regard to other part of the games. I know you're heavily autistic and have trouble understanding other human beings, but generally people enjoy different things, and "mechanic x is fun and mechanic y isn't", is not an objective statement.

^This is what your brain looks like on relativism, folks

A particularly inept and illegible brand of relativism
This is what denial looks like. Sleep on it, stop being emotional and use your brain, and you'll see I'm right.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well turn based combat isn't the best but saying that people want it removed from both Pathfinder and BG3 is an outrageous claim.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Kingdom management in Kingmaker was a brilliant idea, and while not executed perfectly, it still added a lot of value to the game. And they added the option for game journos to make the minigame play itself, letting you ignore it completely, so idk why all the crying. Y'all feel like zoomers whining about inclusion of harder difficulty options, because unless the game bends over backwards to make you feel like you're a very smart, very special boy, you won't be satisfied. Just git gud or use journo difficulty and play for "muh story", applies both to main game and minigames.
Because if you actually played the game, you'd know that certain quests and artisan rewards are locked behind kingdom management. If you turn it off, you also lose out on obtaining them

Choice and consequence. Do you also want a button near the entrance to every side area, that lets you get all the xp and loot without actually doing the content, because you just don't feel like fighting enemy x?

No, and do you know why? Because fighting those enemies is actually a fun fucking game you retarded ape
A lot of players would disagree, go to steam forum and read some comments about BG3 or Pahtfinders. Plenty of people who think combat should be pretty much removed because they think it's a slog that takes away from the "fun" parts of the games, eg. "roleplaying", dialogues and romances. You pretty much mirror their arguments, just in regard to other part of the games. I know you're heavily autistic and have trouble understanding other human beings, but generally people enjoy different things, and "mechanic x is fun and mechanic y isn't", is not an objective statement.
They're wrong, we're right, and if you want that shit make your own fucking genre, phaggot.

Good talk

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I struggle to see anything redeemable in either of them - they are both simpler than phonegames and just as easy. Who wants to play a worse and more simplistic version of HoMM's least interesting element - its combat? What about "buildings" that have no tangible effect (in fact, playing in Hard-mode, you should probably build as few as possible) and shuffling around cards with no effect on the game world makes you feel like you're managing a kingdom - and more poignantly: what on earth about it is fun? Just compare both systems with the rest of these game's gameplay; actually fun and incredibly deep system interaction vs. pure, uninspired busywork with obvios design limitations.
It is interesting that even good players who took the time to engage with the KM/Crusade never really did get the point. Not sure if that is just how players are now or something with the design or both.

The buildings make a tremendous difference in how early you can get the artisan snowball going. It is true the that "investment" bldgs are actively bad with the way the economy works as you progress (and the loan really good), but it is not the case that KM is either easy or boring, in fact part of the suspense of Vordokai/chasing Amiri/Tristian was wanting to get back to it to finish all the projects I'd started to get those sweet, sweet items and bonuses.

Wrath Crusade management was a victim of the bad rep from P:K KM making people turn up their noses at it from the get go, which disincentivized Owlcat from investing in making it a full-ledged HoMM which would have been awesome. The basics are there and the tutorial is good but there are still so many obvious bugs that it leaves you wondering why you should play a game the devs can't even be bothered to play themselves.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Care to elaborate then on what specifically you don't like about these systems?
I understand people who don't want to bother with management in general and that's okay.
But you say it's terrible which implies you might like it if it is improved/changed somehow?
  • Simple card 'assignment' game that holds no strategic or tactical depth. Its slightly above the level of 'match the shape'.
  • Snowballs very easily. You either do REAL GOOD, and the successive odds get stacked massively in your favor, or REAL BAD, and the successive odds get stacked massively against you. No in-between.
  • Forces you to interrupt your adventures. Constantly. Not for kingdom ending situations, but even for events where someone gets impatient because no-one is cleaning up after he pissed himself in bed.
  • It holds no immersion, doesn't make me feel like a ruler but rather the janitor. You know, what actual rulers would get advisors for.
You're forgetting the most insulting part: Regardless of how well you run your kingdom it all goes to shit the same way in the last act.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I liked the Court decisions in Kingmaker, except the international relations ones, where they didn't bother including a map. Why do these things never include a map?
(we live in the future, and you can't make a map?)

I liked the cards and the build-building, not due to the implementation, but because it teaches one that being a leader also means sacrifice. If you want to have a decent kingdom, you have to invest money in it, too.

When it comes to WOTR, I tolerated the HoMM-lite. Mostly because I saw it as a necessary evil. They needed to show up a map, and how things progressed. They also needed to show us how dumb Queen Pseudo-Immortal Tits actually is.

And when it comes to this one, I fully expect them to fuck it up, because it's Owlcat, and they always fuck up the mini-games, but hey... at least there's going to be a map. And some toy ships in space. And they'll go pew-pew. And that's always neat.
(as long as there aren't many bugs, we should be fine, right? ... right, guys?)

Now Owlcat, how can we persuade you to give Argenta a cool extra line of dialogue after you click on her like 5 times, like there were back in StarCraft 2 when you clicked an unit a lot, where she just makes fun of the people that want(ed) a romance with her? What will it take to make fun of all the degenerates out there?

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I wish you all would move this kingdom talk to one of the two Pathfinder topics. No need to spam this one.
Impossible to talk about new Owlcat titles without mentioning the old ones at some point. You better arm yourself with patience once the companion comparisons begin.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I wish you all would move this kingdom talk to one of the two Pathfinder topics. No need to spam this one.
Impossible to talk about new Owlcat titles without mentioning the old ones at some point. You better arm yourself with patience once the companion comparisons begin.
This is no longer comparisons. They are even now spending pages comparing two pathfinder games. That is not for this topic.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Drukhari Companion Confirmed.

https://roguetrader.owlcat.games/news/en/28

MARAZHAI AEZYRRAESH: THE CREED OF A TORMENTER​

The Drukhari are considered among the most cruel and malicious of xenos that threaten the Imperium. They are a degenerate society of the ancient Aeldari xenos race, a dark culture of torturers and raiders, striking out at the galaxy's inhabitants from their labyrinthine shadow-realm of Commorragh. Selfish, prideful, arrogant and murderous, the Drukhari are a self-serving people. Their rulers reign over their kindred with the utmost cruelty and intimidation, for only the fear of death can keep the Drukhari in line. Their subjects are torn between their own ambitions that urge them to backstab their own and a hatred of their common enemies that pushes them into fragile alliances and shaky agreements. The laws of this fractured society are known only to the Drukhari themselves - and even they often become victims of their own intrigues and games, having faltered in their judgment or one of their plots.

Marazhai Aezyrraesh, the Dracon of the Kabal of the Reaving Tempest, is a true scion of Commorragh, who is driven by an insatiable lust for violence and power over others - things which he achieves through subtle cunning, shady deals, and — to his great delight — carnage and the agonizing torture of his enemies. Everything changes when another raid in realspace goes awry, and Marazhai realizes that this time it was he who was being hunted. It's time to strike back, not wait for the enemy to get ahead. But the intricacies of Commorragh's intrigues and machinations are different from the rules of these rampant and bloody raids, and the most sophisticated plan can fail if one of your tools is an overly feisty and underestimated Rogue Trader... or if one of the apex predators of Commorragh, with whom you struck a dark alliance, decides not to hold his end of the bargain up.

Stripped of everything that once belonged to him, Marazhai receives one final favor - to perish to the delight of his kin, feeding their insatiable hunger with his exquisite pain. This fate is unlikely to suit the proud Kabalite of the Reaving Tempest, and he has one last chance to avoid it - to enter into an alliance with yesterday's enemy. If this uneasy union holds together, if the doomed find their way out of Commorragh, if this Drukhari, a child of the Webway, survives in realspace... then the fallen Dracon will have a shred of hope: one day reclaim the shards of what he once considered his own or follow the path of bloody revenge as someone with nothing to lose.

The rut of daily life on a Human voidship can be unbearably dull for a creature of such different customs - and there is none more inventive in devising twisted entertainment than a bored Drukhari. Since only the Rogue Trader is worthy of any attention amid the surrounding rabble, it will not be difficult for them to attract Marazhai's special consideration. A former preything can just as easily be turned into an amusing plaything... or, if the chosen rules dictate, roles can change completely. For a reckless – or unwary – Rogue Trader willing to indulge Marazhai’s debauched nature, he has much to share on the subject of depravity and cruelty – things might just leave a permanent mark on the soul of a willing and receptive “mon-keigh”.

Marazhai_legline_vertical.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
They also needed to show us how dumb Queen Pseudo-Immortal Tits actually is.
This is kinda funny, because her being dumb is a wotr thing, in the pnp books she's supposedly very competent. But for the game you basically take her place as the leader of the crusade, and so she just ends up being a retard who accomplished less in 100 years than you do in one, and then shows up to berate you for having the wrong color flag while doing it.
Drukhari Companion Confirmed.

I'll happily tolerate an eldar in my party. I'll even consider (but probably reject) an unsanctioned psyker. But a dark eldar? Shoot on fucking sight, then drop a nuke from orbit to make sure you didn't miss any of their associates hiding in a nearby bush.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Has Owlcat actually said what the new minigame thing is going to be?
Master of Orion
So, please don't use that specific comparison. I don't have any real feelings for HOMM so when people whine that what they made wasn't anywhere near HOMM, I don't care.

But you can't namedrop MOO re: probably too shallow minigames.

Trithne

Erudite
Dark Eldar are just Eldar that are being honest with themselves.

Craftworlders hide themselves behind layers of masks, but it's all to control their natural desire to just fuck shit up.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I doubt they'll do better than Storm of Zehir and even that merchant game wasn't exactly amazing, just... not terrible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom