Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shig

Novice
melee hating xenos
Farsight.jpg

You must be mistaken.

Mauman

Scholar
A few exceptions to the rule does not make up for the heresies you support in general.
So says the slave to the free man.
Ok....stepping out of character for a second here....

you DO realize the irony of that statement, right? Tau use brainwashing and forced sterilization for it's "greater good". I don't mind the whole "down with the emperor" schtick, but I can't help but smile at the hypocrisy here :P

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Tau are just strange. I know a fair amount of people hate them just because they were a pain in the ass to play against on the tabletop, especially during their OP phase.

They also don't fit the setting at all. Yeah, people can say they're totalitarian space commies, but that still makes them the least grimdark faction by far. Also no warp presence, small empire, high tech, weird aesthetics, clearly japanese.

Great faction in Dawn of War though.

Shig

Novice
Ok....stepping out of character for a second here....

you DO realize the irony of that statement, right? Tau use brainwashing and forced sterilization for it's "greater good". I don't mind the whole "down with the emperor" schtick, but I can't help but smile at the hypocrisy here :P
Stepping out of character? Why do you want to execute the fun like this? But yes, I am well aware of Tau lore, i've been playing them since they were unironically the "good guys" and have been on this wild ride throughout their many changes. I actually like the theme they have now, but you must understand that Tau as a people are not all under the Empire anymore, The Enclaves, and in her own small way Shadowsun herself (after the Goddess T'au'va Incident) are not following the beat of the Ethereal's strangely hypnotic drums. There is a storm brewing within the Tau people, and the Empire proper - and I am very excited about it. But "brainwashing" is inaccurate, and is something that has never been confirmed, it is popular amongst fa/tg/uy shitposting and the like.
If you want to talk about irony though, blatant loyalty to the Imperium is absolute insanity, it is quite literally (for the billions upon billions who are not "lucky" enough to be Spess Mehreens or Cannon Fo- Imperial Guard) like pigs in a slaughter house worshipping the structure that has been built to grind them up. There is brightness within the Imperium, and it is the stuff they write books about, but the Imperium as a whole cares less about the average human than most four-armed purple "emperors" do.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Tau are just strange. I know a fair amount of people hate them just because they were a pain in the ass to play against on the tabletop, especially during their OP phase.

They also don't fit the setting at all. Yeah, people can say they're totalitarian space commies, but that still makes them the least grimdark faction by far. Also no warp presence, small empire, high tech, weird aesthetics, clearly japanese.

Great faction in Dawn of War though.
They are insignificant. Only faction they can win anything against are Imperial Soldiers, they get wiped by everyone else that cares to attack them (not talking about DoW).

Trithne

Erudite
A mish-mash of 80's Anime Japan, Imperial Chinese bureaucracy and modern Chinese thought control. They added something the universe didn't have, but they're a bit too one-note themselves, and their existence as this tiny minor power in the corner of the universe stretches disbelief when they've got all these massive factions around them.

I think the Tau themselves would be fine if they just better justified their existence as being spread around the galaxy a bit more. And if they were dwarfs.

The real best thing to come out of the addition of the Tau however was the Kroot.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
What about tentacles?

That is a perk which some tzeentch and slaneesh gets...

Anyway, ANY lets play in yt with a psyker? I already watched arch stream for a non magical run. I wanna see how is psyker experience in the game and youtube search funcion is each day worse. I type warhammer 40k "rogue trader" beta "psyker" and ... ZERO videos with it. Not only that but yt stop showing results after 5 results and even putting in filters by playlists only, I can't find a psyker LP.
Psyker was very incomplete during beta. Also zero reactivity in general (but that obviously will change, probably similitar to WOTR beta -> release). The CM promised that the class will be a lot better on launch, so only time will tell.
And I will keep my promise. As I've said earlier, a psyker is not a doctrine basically, but one of the available Origins(sanctioned psyker). You'll be able to choose one of the schools (you can choose more than one during the game). Each psyker school will have a branch of talents and abilities available. So, pyromancers, rejoice, you're a walking flamethrower
But. Any use of psychic powers will thinner the veil which can cause the perils of the warp to break into. So, as it is - psykers are cool but dangerous.

Shig

Novice
They are insignificant. Only faction they can win anything against are Imperial Soldiers, they get wiped by everyone else that cares to attack them (not talking about DoW).
The main blockade in the Tau's plans is that they cannot access the warp, at least they weren't able to. With the new Goddess "watching over" them, that might change. But this is incorrect, the Space Weebs have had some quality victories. Read up on the Great War of Confederation and (a much more bloody and less glorious example) the Damocles Crusade. The Farsight Enclaves, which are enemies of the Empire, had their famous stand against Hive Fleet Kraken in its infancy.
That being said you're not entirely wrong in spirit, the Tau's victories are not nearly as numerous as other races, the most impressive thing about the Tau is how quickly they've evolved and modernized, they're like the fucking aliens from Evolution. Their weaponry alone is incredibly advanced, the typical comparison of their infantry's standard issue pulse rifle vs. the flashlights issues to the Guard. Shame we won't see 'em in RT, an Air Caste diplomat preaching in your ear is far more likely than an Eldar waifu tagging along imo.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
If the game does well I think the sequel is pretty much inevitable, so is most of the stuff missing so far.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Their weaponry alone is incredibly advanced

Eh, it's advanced compared to the modern Imperium standard issue gear, not so much the wacky stuff from the Dark Age.

But "brainwashing" is inaccurate, and is something that has never been confirmed, it is popular amongst fa/tg/uy shitposting and the like.

The Ethereals influence over Tau is well established by now, its mechanics are simply not explained.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Their weaponry alone is incredibly advanced, the typical comparison of their infantry's standard issue pulse rifle vs. the flashlights issues to the Guard.
Try to imagine the logistics of equipping a couple trillion troops with the "advanced Tau tech". Oh, right. Lmao. That'd be that regarding practicality of the concept. Now, as to the "advanced" part, mebbe compare those weapons to Marine or Ad Mech gear, hmm?

Peachcurl

Cipher
Their weaponry alone is incredibly advanced, the typical comparison of their infantry's standard issue pulse rifle vs. the flashlights issues to the Guard.
Try to imagine the logistics of equipping a couple trillion troops with the "advanced Tau tech". Oh, right. Lmao. That'd be that regarding practicality of the concept. Now, as to the "advanced" part, mebbe compare those weapons to Marine or Ad Mech gear, hmm?
Yep, Sororitas use power armor, why doesn't every PDF and Guard soldier?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
The only fun xenos are dead xenos.
imagine if boyz accepted da emprah as their god. their faith alone would bring him back and start biggest WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! ever!
I've seen a similar concept somewhere. Have a Callidus Assassin shapeshift into an Ork Boss and talk Ghazkhull into storming the Imperial Palace "to fite the humie golden big boss". Once in His presence, the good Assassin would only need to be like: "Oi, boyz, he twitched! Wakey wakey golden boy! We seez you'ze only sleepin'!"

Reinhardt

Arcane
The only fun xenos are dead xenos.
imagine if boyz accepted da emprah as their god. their faith alone would bring him back and start biggest WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! ever!
I've seen a similar concept somewhere. Have a Callidus Assassin shapeshift into an Ork Boss and talk Ghazkhull into storming the Imperial Palace "to fite the humie golden big boss". Once in His presence, the good Assassin would only need to be like: "Oi, boyz, he twitched! Wakey wakey golden boy! We seez you'ze only sleepin'!"
remember reading recently that da emprah could be easily one of the big 3 along with gork and mork. his portfolio is sending endless supply of beaky boyz for orkz to fight.

lightbane

Arcane
Tau apologism in this thread? :decline:
What's that with that goddess mention? I'm not aware of these weaboo's newest lore. Have they finally admitted they are nothing else but an experiment from bored Eldar, as it was implied at some point IIRC?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom