Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Tau (technically, the psychically active elements of the Tau Empire) appear to have manifested a Warp entity representing the Greater Good at some point. Sort of like Slaanesh, except on an infinitesimally smaller scale and with none of the fun.

Peachcurl

Cipher
Tau apologism in this thread? :decline:
What's that with that goddess mention? I'm not aware of these weaboo's newest lore. Have they finally admitted they are nothing else but an experiment from bored Eldar, as it was implied at some point IIRC?
Some newly created goddess of unclear origin. Many arms. Doesn't have a face. Pro Tau and greater good etc.

Honestly would be more lore-consistent if that goddess was a creation of some Tau client race that is more warp-gifted. Either way, I don't think they nailed the origin down in any way. For now it's just "new".

Peachcurl

Cipher
Tau = Weeabo space commies.

The question is not if they should be killed on spot. Is how is the most efficient way in killing them.
Same question with space elves, and still there's not true consensus in the empire after what... 20k years since first contact?

(Disclaimer: I know the superficial consensus is "kill on sight", which would apply to all Xenos, including Tau.)

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Tau apologism in this thread? :decline:
What's that with that goddess mention? I'm not aware of these weaboo's newest lore. Have they finally admitted they are nothing else but an experiment from bored Eldar, as it was implied at some point IIRC?
Some newly created goddess of unclear origin. Many arms. Doesn't have a face. Pro Tau and greater good etc.

Honestly would be more lore-consistent if that goddess was a creation of some Tau client race that is more warp-gifted. Either way, I don't think they nailed the origin down in any way. For now it's just "new".
Isn't it a creation of the Humans who joined the Tau Empire? Purest heresy anyway.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
The only fun xenos are dead xenos.
imagine if boyz accepted da emprah as their god. their faith alone would bring him back and start biggest WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! ever!
I've seen a similar concept somewhere. Have a Callidus Assassin shapeshift into an Ork Boss and talk Ghazkhull into storming the Imperial Palace "to fite the humie golden big boss". Once in His presence, the good Assassin would only need to be like: "Oi, boyz, he twitched! Wakey wakey golden boy! We seez you'ze only sleepin'!"
remember reading recently that da emprah could be easily one of the big 3 along with gork and mork. his portfolio is sending endless supply of beaky boyz for orkz to fight.
And Ol' Bale Eye is His prophet :obviously:

samoilaaa

Educated
im suprised that owlcat refuses to add more lgbtq relationships to the game and wants to stick true to the lore , no trans characters , no female space marines , is this game really being developed my owlcat ?

Camel

Scholar
What always bugged me with Tau is their near total immunity to Chaos. Humans are pathetically weak and easily fall to Chaos corruption. But not Space Pokemons.

ArchAngel

Arcane
They are insignificant. Only faction they can win anything against are Imperial Soldiers, they get wiped by everyone else that cares to attack them (not talking about DoW).
The main blockade in the Tau's plans is that they cannot access the warp, at least they weren't able to. With the new Goddess "watching over" them, that might change. But this is incorrect, the Space Weebs have had some quality victories. Read up on the Great War of Confederation and (a much more bloody and less glorious example) the Damocles Crusade. The Farsight Enclaves, which are enemies of the Empire, had their famous stand against Hive Fleet Kraken in its infancy.
That being said you're not entirely wrong in spirit, the Tau's victories are not nearly as numerous as other races, the most impressive thing about the Tau is how quickly they've evolved and modernized, they're like the fucking aliens from Evolution. Their weaponry alone is incredibly advanced, the typical comparison of their infantry's standard issue pulse rifle vs. the flashlights issues to the Guard. Shame we won't see 'em in RT, an Air Caste diplomat preaching in your ear is far more likely than an Eldar waifu tagging along imo.
I could see a DLC with Tau companion and some more Tau units that will appear in that companion's quests

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
im suprised that owlcat refuses to add more lgbtq relationships to the game and wants to stick true to the lore , no trans characters , no female space marines , is this game really being developed my owlcat ?
Owlcat was never *adding* LGBTWTFBBQ to their games. The stuff in both Pathfinders? True to the lore.
Their writers jumping on opportunities to make companions/prominent side characters LGBTQIA+ even if they didn't have romance lines or were wholely original (hey, Linzi, hey storyteller) was not just a Paizo thing.

Agreed though that they had more freedom to do that sort of stuff because it didn't clash with Pathfinder's ultra-'inclusive' lore, whereas that is not the case here.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
What always bugged me with Tau is their near total immunity to Chaos. Humans are pathetically weak and easily fall to Chaos corruption. But not Space Pokemons.

It's not that they are specifically immune to Chaos, they just have nearly no Warp signature. So yeah, technically, they're of little interest to daemons, but at the same time, they're incapable of navigating the Warp effectively, which slowed their expansion considerably.

It worked in their favour for a while, because they didn't suffer the risk of Warp incursions across their territory, but the more Warp attuned species they incorporate, the more likely some of their colonies will end up being eaten by a daemonic outbreak or an Enslaver incursion.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

It's not that they are specifically immune to Chaos, they just have nearly no Warp signature. So yeah, technically, they're of little interest to daemons, but at the same time, they're incapable of navigating the Warp effectively, which slowed their expansion considerably.

It worked in their favour for a while, because they didn't suffer the risk of Warp incursions across their territory, but the more Warp attuned species they incorporate, the more likely some of their colonies will end up being eaten by a daemonic outbreak or an Enslaver incursion.
Imagine all those unsanctioned psykers that the Tau-ruled Human populations will give rise to.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
They fell well enough to Fabius Bile because, welp, you may have shitty animal souls but you have nice flesh and genes to mess with.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So, pyromancers, rejoice, you're a walking flamethrower

But why not just a flamethrower, incendiary ammo and grenades? And do the same thing without all perils of the warp? Among the deisciplines the one which attracts me the most is biomancy. Being able to manipulate life itself is the most interesting stuff imo.

I can see use for psyker powers for travel, for medicine, for communication, and N other things. But for destructive stuff, no alpha plus psyker can do more damage than a Cyclonic Torpedo. Without all perils of the warp shenanigans

near total immunity to Chaos.

Is not that they are immune to chaos. Is just that chaos has no interest on them. Eldar in other hands, Chaos loves they so much.

Imagine all those unsanctioned psykers that the Tau-ruled Human populations will give rise to.

But a question. How does the Tau treats the humans subjected to their society who have psyker powers? Or crazy mutations?

Last edited:

Shig

Novice
The Ethereals influence over Tau is well established by now, its mechanics are simply not explained.
That is correct.

Yep, Sororitas use power armor, why doesn't every PDF and Guard soldier?
Power armor is not something that is handed out because it requires a great deal of training to use. Sisters use it, but not as effectively as Space Marines do, and they only do that after having lived their lives in religious fervor and training with the gear. The best way i've heard it descrived is that a SoB in her armor, can pick up a glass cup but would shatter it to piece in the process - a Space Marine could pick up a glass cup and dance it between his fingers.
The short answer: Because the Imperium does not have the time or the inclination to put every piece of their first-line meat into expensive and hard-to-use power armor.

What's that with that goddess mention?
The Goddess T'au'va is an entity created by human members of the Tau Empire when they slipped a ship into warpspace - she appears to be benevolent. Spoilers I guess. It, or she, became such a problem that the Ethereals dispatched Shadowsun to eradicate the "Church of the T'au'va" from the face of the Empire. After speaking (and having it aid her) with the "goddess" and realizing that it was fairly benevolent, Shadowsun refused to genocide her followers, much the the chagrin of the Ethereals (who have now lost Farsight and are suffering insubordination from their last remaining Puretide prodigy).

But a question. How does the Tau treats the humans subjected to their society who have psyker powers? Or crazy mutations?
This actually isn't fleshed out that much in lore, because of how rare psykers actually are and how rare defectors to the Tau Empire are. There probably aren't many of them that exist. But in one of the Farsight books, I forget which one, they are said to be treated as any of the others (for better and for worse) and some even become advisors to the Ethereals because of their unique abilities. The Farsight Enclaves have an entire planet for their human members, but not much has been said about how it is handled there from what I can recall.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Tau (technically, the psychically active elements of the Tau Empire) appear to have manifested a Warp entity representing the Greater Good at some point. Sort of like Slaanesh, except on an infinitesimally smaller scale and with none of the fun.
At least some other race did that. Fun or not. Good for them. This is one thing that always bothers me. Why is it the humans who are the only one to "give birth" to gods? I mean the "real ones", not the pseudo-gods and would-be-gods of space elves or other such entities. Other than Slaneesh of curse. He is the exception. It still doesn't explain why 1000s of intelligent races that existed or still exist in the galaxy, sometimes ages before humans, didn't spawn their own chaos gods. Or any entities with power that rivals/make chaos gods uneasy (like Emperor). Reason other than they are non-humans and there can be only one Slaneesh for all non-humans combined. For some reason.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
tau are ugly and boring. only fun xenos are orkz.
8oyYvSn.jpg

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
At least some other race did that. Fun or not. Good for them. This is one thing that always bothers me. Why is it the humans who are the only one to "give birth" to gods?

Hah, it was probably mostly human auxiliaries that did that.

In any case, in the old lore, Humanity didn't create the Big Four, they simply awakened three of them. And yes, it happened because humans are special, in that they have the highest psychic celling of all known races AND there's a lot of them.

Parts of that lore might have been retconned over time, and GW generally avoids messing with the somewhat hazy origins of Chaos powers and their semi-exclusive relationship with Humanity today. Probably for the best, all things considered.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom