Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
40k is very human-centric. Humans have the largest empire, the largest armies, exert an incredible amount of influence, and could present the greatest threat to chaos.

The God Emperor wills it.

Sunri

Liturgist
40k is very human-centric. Humans have the largest empire, the largest armies, exert an incredible amount of influence, and could present the greatest threat to chaos.

And the greatest threat to themselves too :smug:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
It still doesn't explain why 1000s of intelligent races that existed or still exist in the galaxy, sometimes ages before humans, didn't spawn their own chaos gods
Population size.
Not exactly. IIRC chaos gods (minus Slaanesh) existed already in times when humans still inhabited a single planet. In fact the chaos gods are even older than the Emperor himself. The latter was created/born/came to be in ancient era or even prehistory on Earth. This means Earth and human race weren't even a very populous on this one planet back then. It is possible that i remember it wrong.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It still doesn't explain why 1000s of intelligent races that existed or still exist in the galaxy, sometimes ages before humans, didn't spawn their own chaos gods
Population size.
Not exactly. IIRC chaos gods (minus Slaanesh) existed already in times when humans still inhabited a single planet. In fact the chaos gods are even older than the Emperor himself. The latter was created/born/came to be in ancient era or even prehistory on Earth. This means Earth and human race weren't even a very populous on this one planet back then. It is possible that i remember it wrong.

In the old lore, the three eldest chaos gods were "born" at various points, starting around the middle ages (IIRC Khorne is the oldest and was awakened during the mongol conquest). It was heavily implied that humanity itself was responsible for their creation, but that has been walked back in the new lore and now believed that tumultous events on earth was caused by their awakening, not the other way around.

Also in the old lore, the Emperor was born around the 8th millennium BC in Anatolia, as a result of a fusion dance between a bunch of shamans. This has since been mostly retconned into "I dunno, nobody knows."

lightbane

Arcane
The Goddess T'au'va is an entity created by human members of the Tau Empire when they slipped a ship into warpspace - she appears to be benevolent. Spoilers I guess. It, or she, became such a problem that the Ethereals dispatched Shadowsun to eradicate the "Church of the T'au'va" from the face of the Empire. After speaking (and having it aid her) with the "goddess" and realizing that it was fairly benevolent, Shadowsun refused to genocide her followers, much the the chagrin of the Ethereals (who have now lost Farsight and are suffering insubordination from their last remaining Puretide prodigy).
Thanks for the info!
So... The Cau somehow get a Warp goddess thanks to having a bunch of humans sticking around, despite having been around for a VERY short time (it took the Loldar centuries to spawn Slaanny IIRC) and, rather than being a Greater Daemon trying to eat them all, it's a benevolent entity. Just like that.
:hmmm:
The Tau weren't Mary Sue enough I guess. Or maybe it is a demon trying to eat them all. Weren't the Nids threatening to devour their entire "empire"/small territories the Tau have?

Humanity fuck yeah! For good and bad.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Population size.

In the old lore, the three eldest chaos gods were "born" at various points, starting around the middle ages (IIRC Khorne is the oldest and was awakened during the mongol conquest). It was heavily implied that humanity itself was responsible for their creation, but that has been walked back in the new lore and now believed that tumultous events on earth was caused by their awakening, not the other way around.

Also in the old lore, the Emperor was born around the 8th millennium BC in Anatolia, as a result of a fusion dance between a bunch of shamans. This has since been mostly retconned into "I dunno, nobody knows."
Well, I was right at least in that chaos god existed already when Humans still inhabited only one planet - Earth and didn't even populate it well at the time. Which means human population size had nothing to do with god-creation. Which was the point I answered. "Population size" was not the reason why humans created chaos gods and all the other races (but one) did not. It could only be true if chaos gods came to be AFTER humans colonized significant parts of the galaxy. Which is not the case. Which also makes the concept of humans being uniquely capable of creating them a little more sensible. But still nonsensical. In a densely populated galaxy (and we know that there are or were lots of different sentient species, many humanoid, some older than humans) there is no reason to believe humans are THAT unique. Which returns me to my original issue. Chaos gods - 3/4 of them to be exact - being "human-made" make no f***g sense. Just like half of the lore but at least it serves a purpose of adding cool stuff to miniatures or whatever. There is nothing that would be lost if Chaos gods weren't specifically human-made at all, just the result of everyone adding a little - including humans.

Aarwolf

Learned
I booted up beta again after the patch that came last week or so and ffs they broke it. For me pre-patch beta worked mostly flawless, now game is stuttering, in some fights enemy units are unkillable, and so on and so forth.

Truly, Owlcat is true to their form and that game is now real Bug Trader :/

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I booted up beta again after the patch that came last week or so and ffs they broke it. For me pre-patch beta worked mostly flawless, now game is stuttering, in some fights enemy units are unkillable, and so on and so forth.

Heh, wait a year to play the Beta? :lol:

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think I've asked this before but not sure if here. Can anyone from the beta comment on the difficulty in Rogue Trader? Compared to the Pathfinder games this should be much simpler and easier. I suspect Core here should be much easier than the one Pathfinder.

Is it worth it to play the Beta just to get a better hang of the systems? Or do you think most of it would be reworked by the time things are released? Also how are they testing the later parts of the game? I suppose it would be some sort of in-house beta.

jungl

Augur
Played the beta months ago was bored to my teeth didn't even bother finishing the tutorial. Too much adherence to cringe lore and boring dialogue. Warhammer is a baby kids like the super mario franchise. The writers for warhammer did not give a fuck about the lore as much as owlfat does. its all about the plasma swords, guns and fighting but all I seen is the copy past ugly artstyle for humans from allods online 2023 and pretentious fags npcs trying to one up each other in dialogue.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Can anyone from the beta comment on the difficulty in Rogue Trader? Compared to the Pathfinder games this should be much simpler and easier. I suspect Core here should be much easier than the one Pathfinder.
It's definitely on the easier side, not as bad as BG3 since some of the early bosses can actually put up a fight but once you're level'd up and have a better AP economy you just anihilate everything.
Is it worth it to play the Beta just to get a better hang of the systems? Or do you think most of it would be reworked by the time things are released?
Beta systems are blatantly unfinished, just wait for release.

Rhobar121

Scholar
I don't know the system they use at all.
Do enemies still have millions of ACs on higher difficulties like in Pathfinder or Owlcat finally learned?

Shig

Novice
So... The Cau somehow get a Warp goddess thanks to having a bunch of humans sticking around, despite having been around for a VERY short time (it took the Loldar centuries to spawn Slaanny IIRC) and, rather than being a Greater Daemon trying to eat them all, it's a benevolent entity. Just like that.
:hmmm:
The Tau weren't Mary Sue enough I guess. Or maybe it is a demon trying to eat them all. Weren't the Nids threatening to devour their entire "empire"/small territories the Tau have?
The idea behind it, at least as I read it, is that the belief in the Greater Good (or "Tau'va" in the Tau's language) was so strong in these humans that they produced her, or called to her. As I recall from her novel, Shadowsun had dreams of this goddess when she was a kid or some shit, but it is not clear if the goddess was actually formed then or if that was the warp trying to reach out to the non-warp-connected Shadowsun. Regardless of where or why, the goddess is not fleshed out in lore, and probably won't ever be. I know nu-fans, and people who haven't been around the setting or hobby that long pick up on old hatred (from reading /tg/, 1d4, or god help them, leddit) from the Tau's "glory days" on the table top, but they are about as far from "Mary Sue" as you can get now (3E and 4E Tau are a much different story), Mary Sues usually get, at the very least, some attention. Ward's boys still hold that flag strong.

Yes, Hive Fleet Kraken assaulted the Farsight Enclaves (one of the three armies I field on the tabletop, and thus am a bit of a sperg about) and the portion of the Hive Fleet that assaulted the Enclaves was wiped out.
Beta systems are blatantly unfinished, just wait for release.
100%
I have stopped playing most alphas/betas, they almost always end up souring the game for me in the long run.

Aarwolf

Learned
I have stopped playing most alphas/betas, they almost always end up souring the game for me in the long run.

Initial beta release was quite stable and in a better shape, than say, Kingmaker before enhanced edition. Also Colony ship has a very stable and enjoyable early access.

CaesarCzech

Scholar

PRETTY TYRANIDS, CUTE TYRANIDS, BUY ONE GET ONE FREEEE.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
I think I've asked this before but not sure if here. Can anyone from the beta comment on the difficulty in Rogue Trader? Compared to the Pathfinder games this should be much simpler and easier. I suspect Core here should be much easier than the one Pathfinder.

Is it worth it to play the Beta just to get a better hang of the systems? Or do you think most of it would be reworked by the time things are released? Also how are they testing the later parts of the game? I suppose it would be some sort of in-house beta.
Difficulty will be reworked. And there will be more different presets

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I didn't watch all of that last video but what I did watch, it felt like they really have a good grasp on the setting and in running several PnP sessions themselves, they decided on a section of the games universe they wanted to explore and put the game in. Sounds good. And a focus on choice and consequence. HOW involved that will turn out, no idea.

Also really enjoying the art style and direction on this too. I've been waiting for a more modern RPG/turn-based approach in this setting to get in to, and so far it's still got my attention. I'll continue to cautiously fap...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom