Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Erebus

Arcane
Look, I hate owlcuck garabage as much as the next guy, but consider the alternatives from recent years:

Yeah. I'm not a big fan of Warhammer 40K and Wrath of the Righteous greatly disappointed me, but I'd like to play a new CRPG sometimes soon, so I'll probably buy the game anyway. At least, it'll be a game that doesn't insult me merely by existing, unlike "Baldur's Gate 3".

The party size is 6 characters, right ?

std::namespace

consider the alternatives
MFKk9HW.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Why do we need to know who the character fucks from the character sheet? They are trying so hard to be woke, it's veering into homophobic again.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm sure it does, the more perverse the better. However, it seems to me that listing "romantic preference" in the character sheet is invading a person's privacy and is at best disrespectful, at worst we are back to the colored triangles again.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm sure it does, the more perverse the better. However, it seems to me that listing "romantic preference" in the character sheet is invading a person's privacy and is at best disrespectful, at worst we are back to the colored triangles again.
Well if the competition is vampire/gay bear sex I think they are being very discreet about it all things considering.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm sure Larian are taking the piss at this point. There's no way they have been serious in either D:OS2 or BG3. But at least they aren't listing a character's fetishes on the character sheet. I've seen pictures of Korean pop stars that have their weight and height listed at the bottom, which has always struck me as extremely bizarre and as literal commodification, as if you are making an inventory check. I see we aren't much different if we've boiled people down to romantic preferences.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, it does feel a bit off but whatever. I've commented on this before that I don't mind the whole marketing voodoo they are doing as long as the game turns out fine.

As to Larian not being serious I'll have to disagree. The amount of money riding on both D:OS2 and BG3 was just too big to not have a concrete idea of what they were doing and wanted to achieve with the sexuality they were displaying. I think Larian can get away with stuff like that because they've kept the same consistent tone since Original Sin 1.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Because people constantly ask about this, better to be clear about it than have people ask for the 100th time if you can bang Argenta.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's not better to be clear about this, quite the contrary. It doesn't matter how many people are asking, you don't owe the knowledge of your sexuality to anybody. I'm saying this because this is literally what is happening irl with real people and it's extremely worrying. I don't think it's going to go that far, but imagine being obligated to wear a pin announcing who you are attracted to on a daily basis.

Lacrymas

Arcane
invading a person's privacy and is at best disrespectful
These are fictional characters meant to be mined of content.
Oh, come on, you are smarter than that. You know fiction is never entirely fictional and is like a mirror of our own society and culture. Real people have made the decision to list something like that on the character sheet and so there must be a real life reason for it.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
An RPG character is not a person. A character sheet is supposed to be a summary of the character's... character. I would rgue that romantic preference is an important aspect of anyone's character, all things considered.

We could of course argue whether this stuff has any place in a CRPG. But purely technically speaking, the presence of the information itself is hardly comparable to Unlce Adi marking people with coloured triangles.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
It's not better to be clear about this, quite the contrary. It doesn't matter how many people are asking, you don't owe the knowledge of your sexuality to anybody. I'm saying this because this is literally what is happening irl with real people and it's extremely worrying. I don't think it's going to go that far, but imagine being obligated to wear a pin announcing who you are attracted to on a daily basis.
I think you're overthinking stuff.. Maybe you should go out because i hardly see anyone irl announcing their sexuality outloud. Is that a US thing to say out loud that you're heterossexual, gay ,etc ?

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Oh, come on, you are smarter than that. You know fiction is never entirely fictional and is like a mirror of our own society and culture. Real people have made the decision to list something like that on the character sheet and so there must be a real life reason for it.
Well if you want to get technical about it - your reality is a perception of how you understand everything that's around you and not what the person intended it to be when making it. One of the reasons why art is open for interpretation.

I honestly think them listing their sexual preferences is just marketing. What else do you think it could be? It's just like looking at a nice Tinder profile.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Haven't been hit on by gay people at the bar I take it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I think you're overthinking stuff.. Maybe you should go out because i hardly see anyone irl announcing their sexuality outloud. Is that a US thing to say out loud that you're heterossexual, gay ,etc ?
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-63469444
This has been going on for a while, especially with fictional characters, but it's starting to bleed over into real life, Kit Connor isn't the first or only one.

We could of course argue whether this stuff has any place in a CRPG. But purely technically speaking, the presence of the information itself is hardly comparable to Unlce Adi marking people with coloured triangles.
But I think you can agree that it's something new that hasn't been done before, ergo I'm asking the question of whether it's truly necessary and my answer is no. It's not only unnecessary, it's also invasive.

Vatnik Wumao
How is it different from seeing their origin on their sheet? By your own logic, you wouldn't want to go around having your social background or nationality pinned on your chest after all.

And perhaps it should be emphasized that this is a UI decision pertaining to meta knowledge that the player has, not some in-universe sheet that the PC and his companions carry around.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Dating sim elements are part and parcel with these party based RPGs. Dating sim characters are not people, you do what you must to attain their favor and since this isn't an actual dating sim where every character is on the table, people like knowing up front "Should I try to pursue this character?"

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
But I think you can agree that it's something new that hasn't been done before, ergo I'm asking the question of whether it's truly necessary and my answer is no. It's not only unnecessary, it's also invasive.
I can sort of get the point you're trying to make, but you are overreacting. Those are not people. Those are characters in an RPG. Granted, they are not player characters, but NPCs, therefore the player having access to this information without receiving it somehow in-game is, indeed, wrong. In the PnP context such information regarding both PCs and NPCs could conceivably come in handy to the GM, therefore its presence on character sheets would be not only not invasive, but by all means warranted.

Vatnik Wumao
Personally I wouldn't say that it's necessary, but it's good for those that want it and it makes no difference for those who don't. It's not like romances in RPGs are deep stories that are enhanced by not knowing about their possibility in advance. If some player wants to plan a playthrough with romance in mind, then it might be useful for him to know at a first glance what his possibilities are.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
From an immersion point of view, they should be denied that prior knowledge.
This is purely marketing. It's not like their sexuality and relationship status is right there on the character screen in-game. Don't want spoilers? Don't pay attention to the marketing, same as always. They're putting this information out there because there's a demand for it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Their sexuality isn't listed on the character sheet in-game then?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom