Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shaki

Arbiter
They gave Rogue Trader 59/100. Meanwhile:
reQXwit.png

What a fucking joke that website is.
It's not just PC gamer, Rogue trader doesn't even hit 80 on metacritic. Pathetic

afbeelding.png

It's just another failed spreadsheet simulator from Owlcuck games.
PGuZrBY.png

I like how modern game journos don't even try to pretend anymore, they'll straight up tell you they didn't like they game because it was mechanically deep instead of "use haste and rightclick the enemy"...

Game journo difficulty setting, went from a meme to an actual serious requirement if you want to get good scores.

ArchAngel

Arcane
reQXwit.png

It's not just PC gamer, Rogue trader doesn't even hit 80 on metacritic. Pathetic

afbeelding.png

PGuZrBY.png

I like how modern game journos don't even try to pretend anymore, they'll straight up tell you they didn't like they game because it was mechanically deep instead of "use haste and rightclick the enemy"...

Game journo difficulty setting, went from a meme to an actual serious requirement if you want to get good scores.
I think people's brains have just rotten away due to vaccines and bad food. I got a friend that does not like to try new games because he does not feel like needing to learn new systems. Then I asked him what is this complicated new game he does not want to start.
He says .. Starfield
:prosper:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Wrath was playable fast after release. Did they fix all the smaller bugs? No but there were plenty of classes that were fun and you could finish the game with them.

I do not expect a bug free experience as this is Owlcat we are talking about but I am willing to suffer a bit for the cRPG goodness they give us.
The post-launch support that Wrath received is a flaming trainwreck where it's not even possible to find a correct and updated list of all the class features and other things that either flat out don't work or are bugged, often in a particularly "hilarious" manner. When you plan a playthrough and your build, which is like THE thing to get excited about in this game, you have zero certainty that a feature you want to build around won't spaz out on you. The worst thing about this is that they've shown little to no interest in actually owning up to that and properly fixing stuff. Instead they often break more things, re-bug previously fixed stuff and have whipped up an "EE" where photo mode and other inane shit were the main "features" and then they had the gal to comment that actually improving the game would be nice, but there was no budget for it.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
reQXwit.png

afbeelding.png

PGuZrBY.png

"mechanical depth" doesn't automatically make something good.

Like I said it's a spreadsheet simulator made for autists.

It's sad though, I though Owlcat could finally bring some competition but it seems Larian will dominate alone.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
jvyqdIq.png

the fuck is this average enemy info in this chapter nonsense
hope you can remove it
If you need a system that needs artificial barriers like this, because your core systems cannot handle character growth, then your core systems are trash. One of the prime reason why WoW's mechanics, and those of many of its derivatives, are god damn trash.

+1% crit chance increase should be +1% crit chance increase. Not +1% crit chance at level 1 and 0.2% crit chance at level 5. If it's really that problematic, either rework the crit mechanic or add a +1% crit chance immunity stats or some shit.

Mechanics like this are one of the quickest ways to turn me off from a game, and why I still (generally) love D&D. Because they don't do this shit.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Wrath was playable fast after release. Did they fix all the smaller bugs? No but there were plenty of classes that were fun and you could finish the game with them.

I do not expect a bug free experience as this is Owlcat we are talking about but I am willing to suffer a bit for the cRPG goodness they give us.
The post-launch support that Wrath received is a flaming trainwreck where it's not even possible to find a correct and updated list of all the class features and other things that either flat out don't work or are bugged, often in a particularly "hilarious" manner. When you plan a playthrough and your build, which is like THE thing to get excited about in this game, you have zero certainty that a feature you want to build around won't spaz out on you. The worst thing about this is that they've shown little to no interest in actually owning up to that and properly fixing stuff. Instead they often break more things, re-bug previously fixed stuff and have whipped up an "EE" where photo mode and other inane shit were the main "features" and then they had the gal to comment that actually improving the game would be nice, but there was no budget for it.

Surely now with only 4 Base Class and 6 Advanced Class there should be not much of mechanic bugs right

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

What makes? Illithid motion captured sex scenes?

spreadsheet simulator made for autists.

Every product has its target audience.

Larian target audience = journos with pigeon- tier cognition.
Literally 400k+ user reviews on steam with 98% positive reviews. BG3 is made for gamers not autists.

Seems Larian will be dominating the RPG space from now on, "muh in depth mechanics" LOL!

afbeelding.png

Vasya

Novice
jvyqdIq.png

the fuck is this average enemy info in this chapter nonsense
hope you can remove it
If you need a system that needs artificial barriers like this, because your core systems cannot handle character growth, then your core systems are trash. One of the prime reason why WoW's mechanics, and those of many of its derivatives, are god damn trash.

+1% crit chance increase should be +1% crit chance increase. Not +1% crit chance at level 1 and 0.2% crit chance at level 5. If it's really that problematic, either rework the crit mechanic or add a +1% crit chance immunity stats or some shit.

Mechanics like this are one of the quickest ways to turn me off from a game, and why I still (generally) love D&D. Because they don't do this shit.
What artificial barriers are you talking about? Those tips are just telling you how good this armor will be against average enemies of current chapter. There is no weird scaling or anything like that.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
But really guys, this is Owlcat we are talking about, is anyone surprised? They haven't even finished Wrath yet!

:troll:
Different teams are working on these games
Please tell the Wrath team that they completely broke walls and LoS with the DLC patch, so in Drezen I had demons meleeing my characters up on the wall from down by the gate, and cultists shooting through walls in interior locations. Oh, and charge still breaks every now and then when used to initiate TB combat, wasting the MC's surprise turn even if it was someone else charging.
I've passed this on to the team. They say they're already fixing it.

Parabalus

Arcane
reQXwit.png

afbeelding.png

PGuZrBY.png

I think people's brains have just rotten away due to vaccines and bad food. I got a friend that does not like to try new games because he does not feel like needing to learn new systems. Then I asked him what is this complicated new game he does not want to start.
He says .. Starfield
:prosper:
Average gamer age has also risen, might be close to 50 now for RPGs.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
+ user reviews on steam with 98% positive reviews

Din't said that BG3 is a bad game. Just said that game journos opinions are stupid.

Any 80s/90s masterpiece would be heavily criticized nowadays by game journos. Obviously people will like more BG3. Just like Mc Donalds is more popular than a "classic gourmet" restaurant.

Seems Larian will be dominating the RPG space from now on, "muh in depth mechanics" LOL!

Nope. From Software is dominating the RPG space now. Larian is only dominating the "party based" style of RPG's since Bioware and other AAA companies are dead.

Shaki

Arbiter
Like I said it's a spreadsheet simulator made for autists.

Nah, I love actual spreadsheet simulators for autists (I have 5k+ hours in EUIV/HOI3/Victoria2/CK2) and Owlcat games are unfortunately still very far away from that. RT especially, from playing the demo it was far easier and less complicated than trying to think up builds viable for unfair in Pathfinders. It's just game journos being game journos.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
+ user reviews on steam with 98% positive reviews

Din't said that BG3 is a bad game. Just said that game journos opinions are stupid.

Any 80s/90s masterpiece would be heavily criticized nowadays by game journos. Obviously people will like more BG3. Just like Mc Donalds is more popular than a "classic gourmet" restaurant.

Nope. From Software is dominating the RPG space now. Larian is only dominating the "party based" style of RPG's since Bioware and other AAA companies are dead.
Lol you actually calling From Software games "rpg's? They're action adventures with RPG mechanics.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
stop eating the fucking swen bait jesus people it's the codex and you're falling for boomer bait that would have trouble working on Facebook have some goddamned self-respect

Reinhardt

Arcane

What makes? Illithid motion captured sex scenes?

spreadsheet simulator made for autists.

Every product has its target audience.

Larian target audience = journos with pigeon- tier cognition.
Literally 400k+ user reviews on steam with 98% positive reviews. BG3 is made for gamers not autists.

afbeelding.png
spoiler this shit, nigga.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
What artificial barriers are you talking about? Those tips are just telling you how good this armor will be against average enemies of current chapter. There is no weird scaling or anything like that.
Is that guaranteed? Because level based scaling crap is usually what this means in plenty of other games.

jackofshadows

Magister
Is that guaranteed? Because level based scaling crap is usually what this means in plenty of other games.
That tooltip only implies every consequent chapter "average enemy" has more armor penetration. So you need to increase your % armor (never liked this shit btw) in order to keep up with that.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Fuck the reviewers, but why did they insist on releasing this in 2023?
I'd like to think that the reviewers are overexaggerating the bugs. I played Wrathfinder on release too and it was an overall stable experience with (non-combat) bugs being mostly limited to one or two side quests, particularly in the later areas of the game. I'm hoping that it's the same for this game, but we'll see soon enough I guess.
Bugs weren’t as bad as the missing implementation that their own forums had told them about since alpha. I think part of the plan with the aggressive release schedules was to leave quality control to the players but they're afraid to talk to the grognards who know what's missing/not working and everything has to go through Mishulin so there's a massive bottleneck anyway.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Normally I'd say that this will be worth playing in a year or two
That goes for almost every single game, though, and has been my MO for years. However, there are still bugs in Kingmaker and Wrath, so even waiting seems to be failing in current year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom