Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ArchAngel

Arcane
"mechanical depth" doesn't automatically make something good.

What makes? Illithid motion captured sex scenes?

spreadsheet simulator made for autists.

Every product has its target audience.

Larian target audience = journos with pigeon- tier cognition.
Literally 400k+ user reviews on steam with 98% positive reviews. BG3 is made for gamers not autists.

Seems Larian will be dominating the RPG space from now on, "muh in depth mechanics" LOL!

afbeelding.png
Congrats! You have taken the throne from such classic and well respected RPGs like Skyrim, Oblivion or Mass Effect Andromeda.

Vasya

Novice
What artificial barriers are you talking about? Those tips are just telling you how good this armor will be against average enemies of current chapter. There is no weird scaling or anything like that.
Is that guaranteed? Because level based scaling crap is usually what this means in plenty of other games.
They are just trying to solve the "too many numbers and formulas" problem by giving some approximations.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
"mechanical depth" doesn't automatically make something good.

What makes? Illithid motion captured sex scenes?

spreadsheet simulator made for autists.

Every product has its target audience.

Larian target audience = journos with pigeon- tier cognition.
Literally 400k+ user reviews on steam with 98% positive reviews. BG3 is made for gamers not autists.

Seems Larian will be dominating the RPG space from now on, "muh in depth mechanics" LOL!

afbeelding.png
Congrats! You have taken the throne from such classic and well respected RPGs like Skyrim, Oblivion or Mass Effect Andromeda.
Damn so you're telling me Rogue trader and Owlcuck games are so bad they can't even win from Mass Effect Andromeda? Grim

Lemming42

Arcane
Hi thread. I hated both Pathfinder games, partly because of RTWP, partly because I found the writing to be very wordy, overly-verbose and dull.

Is this worth playing for someone who had those complaints about previous Owlcat games? Is the turn-based in this better than WOTR's shitty hack-job attempt?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Pathfinder games didn't suck because of RtWP. They sucked because of intrusive minigames and system bloat.

TB cannot fix games such as Pathfinders and Pillars, because they are fundamentally poorly designed.

Lemming42

Arcane
I'll play any old shit if it's turn-based, honestly I could have tolerated the boring nature of the rest of the PF games if they'd had solid turn-based combat. RTWP is what killed it for me, there's just no point persisting in those games when the combat is doing nothing for me.

Shaki

Arbiter
Pathfinder games didn't suck because of RtWP. They sucked because of intrusive minigames and system bloat.

TB cannot fix games such as Pathfinders and Pillars, because they are fundamentally poorly designed.
Idk, I hated RtWP pillars, but actually had some fun with it in TB. As long as you ignore all the writing, it's a decent exploration/combat game. RtWP was complete dogshit because you basically only stacked action speed then rightclicked on enemies and the game played itself, but TB opened shitload of viable character builds, and actually requires you to play the game. It gets boring in later stages, because of retarded HP bloat which is a consequence of the game being originally RtWP, but still TB did actually fix a lot of issues I've had with the game and made it playable.

kangaxx

Arbiter

I was able to tolerate the minigame in PKM and even grew to think it was OK. The WOTR minigame, however, was utterly intolerable. I don't know what they were smoking when they came up with it.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I was able to tolerate the minigame in PKM and even grew to think it was OK. The WOTR minigame, however, was utterly intolerable. I don't know what they were smoking when they came up with it.
WotR minigame had potential to be good if they were not to scared to make it tough and have some real effect. As it was, it was just a time waster.
in PKM if you planned well you at least got unique items for it.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Every Swen post in this thread:

Hey guys, I know you might think you're interested in this space faring CRPG, but you're really not. In fact, look here at this review, look at this low score they gave it!

Surely you wouldn't ignore a review from a prestigious game journalist at Pronoun Gamer dot Com would you?

You would?

Haha...you're all just coping you guys hahahaha. Your tears are delicious...

Look at Derpcritic guyz! Look!

ok guys please stop talking about it now...please discuss Baldur's Gate 3...and please play that...and do not buy this game...

DONT YOU DARE BUY A GAME WITH SUCH A LOW DERPCRITIC SCORE!

Last edited:

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

Hey guys, I know you might think you're interested in this space faring CRPG, but you're really not. In fact, look here at this review, look at this low score they gave it!

Surely you wouldn't ignore a review from a prestigious game journalist at Pronoun Gamer dot Com would you?

You would?

ok guys please stop talking about it now...please discuss Baldur's Gate 3...and please play that...and do not buy this game...

No please go buy your pseudo rpg spreadsheet simulator game, I want more competition. It's lonely at the top.

NwNgger

Educated
jvyqdIq.png

the fuck is this average enemy info in this chapter nonsense
hope you can remove it
It's based on the Black Industries 40k RPG system. It was a percentile dice system that was directly based on Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying but in spaaaaace. You roll a d100 under or matching a percentage. Which will normally be a stat such as Ballistic Skill or so on. That's what it's talking about. The virtual dice have to roll under 26% of a D100. So roll a 26 or under your agility stat most likely. The TTRPGs whilst crunchy were pretty easy to explain to a layman. Any percentile D100 based system just boils down to "Low dice roll good. Big dice roll bad" It's just not very well explained by this piece of shit game. But at least it's not THAC0 from AD&D or whatever the fuck bs GURPS would sometimes pull on you.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
jvyqdIq.png

hope you can remove it
It's based on the Black Industries 40k RPG system. It was a percentile dice system that was directly based on Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying but in spaaaaace. You roll a d100 under or matching a percentage. Which will normally be a stat such as Ballistic Skill or so on. That's what it's talking about. The virtual dice have to roll under 26% of a D100. So roll a 26 or under your agility stat most likely. The TTRPGs whilst crunchy were pretty easy to explain to a layman. Any percentile D100 based system just boils down to "Low dice roll good. Big dice roll bad" It's just not very well explained by this piece of shit game. But at least it's not THAC0 from AD&D or whatever the fuck bs GURPS would sometimes pull on you.

I still have nightmare from THAC0 i loved Baldurs Gate but jesus Christ, Jan was less annoying than that system.

CaesarCzech

Scholar

WotR minigame had potential to be good if they were not to scared to make it tough and have some real effect. As it was, it was just a time waster.

Should have just copied Heroes III system and called it a day.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

You would?

No please go buy your pseudo rpg spreadsheet simulator game, I want more competition. It's lonely at the top.

We'll keep drinking that garbage. And yours.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Should have just copied Heroes III system and called it a day.
They more or less did, but stopped half way and didn't bother balancing it at all

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
jvyqdIq.png

hope you can remove it

gurps is literally 3d6 you succeed if you roll below skill - modifiers lol. On every single roll no matter what, only exception is damage. How is that bs lol

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Waaahhh, bad start to combat!

Use Stealth dumbass. That's what it's there for. Seriously, the people who would otherwise teach everyone else to play are just too retarded rn for RTwP.

Cool review tho. I'll play next yr.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Waaahhh, bad start to combat!

Use Stealth dumbass. That's what it's there for. Seriously, the people who would otherwise teach everyone else to play are just too retarded rn for RTwP.

Cool review tho. I'll play next yr.

It is still more fiddling then how it seems it works in Rogue Trader.
I did use Stealth for every encounter in that Island DLC and it was irritating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom