Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
CRPG means Computer Role-Playing Game.
ARPGs are CRPGs.

Rusty plssssssss, we can agree that the term CRPG taken literally means jack shit but we all know what the implications are and that they're different from ARPGs, some of which aren't even PC exclusive, like Diablo itself that got a Playstation port.
81-Ox-Dgl-X-NL-SL1378.jpg

Codex Year of the Donut

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Rusty pls, Diablo is not a CRPG, it's an ARPG.
CRPG means Computer Role-Playing Game.
ARPGs are CRPGs.

:deadtroll:
Seriously. Diablo is far more of an RPG than something like Dark Souls. The fact that you can attack and miss with your stats impacting how likely you are to hit or miss should be evidence enough of that.

That's funny, I only vaguely remember saying that. I still think it's true though.

Yeah, maybe you're right, by implication, if you go back to where the stats actually mattered and it wasn't just deterministic hits based on positioning and damage numbers go up, etc.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
What game should one play to get more familiar with Warhammer 40k?
Need to get more familiar with the lore till this one comes out. (Besides there is a sale rn)
Dawn of War 1 + Expansions and Battlefleet Gothic 2 are probably the best for learning the setting, you'll end up with a good idea about most of the factions and the different dynamics/rivalries between them after those.
Mechanicus has some stellar presentation/sound design and best captures the distinctive atmosphere of the setting IMO.

Humbaba

Arcane
but it was ported to the playstation and that was your definition of arpg?
No rusty, we were still talking about BG and Diablo and BG never was a console game, hence Diablo predating BG means nothing because BG is the only pure COMPUTER RPG of the two. Kingmaker never entered the equation.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Humbaba

Arcane

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Warhammer_-Rogue_Trader_Key-Art1.png

possible companions
Bookmark this post.

Untitled-2.jpg
: "F-filthy human p-pig!!! Ape! Mayfly! You can't comprehend how strong Eldar emotions are! You can't comprehend how much I... I don't... hate you..."

Untitled-22.jpg
: "<CHARNAME>, do you think... Do you think I'm pretty? My exotic blue skin, third eye and nimble six fingers probably make me look like a freak. Ah, I never cared about this... But since I've met you... I feel things I've never felt before."

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I don't know. Was it?
I'm aware of phone-exclusive games that are clearly CRPGs.
e.g.,
https://dungeoncrawlers.org/game/legacy-1-05/ & other Redshift games other than The Quest.
No, rusty, that's not a CRPG, that looks like a Blobber.

Blobbers are a subset of CRPGs. Some might argue that they're truer CRPGs than most modern story driven nonsense.

You do know that you should wait for the mark to actually go for the bait before celebrating, don't you?

Peachcurl

Arcane
the RPGs like Rogue Trader and Dark Heresy are great for exploring other kinds of stories. You can find a suitable setting for pretty much any type of story you want somewhere in the 40K galaxy.
I'm excited to see what owlcat does with this setting. I think a lot of 40k fans like myself aren't familiar with a "softer," more relatable side of the setting and afaik very few if any developers have tried to explore it.

One good example for W40k that doesn't directly touch the overarching war narratives are Warhammer Crime and Warhammer Horror novels (careful: not always immediately clear whether those are W40k or just the plain fantasy setting). Still pretty dark, but not part of the neverending war against the zerg/orc/space-elves/space-mummies/chaos.

For PC games, I guess that Necromunda game may fit the bill as well, tho I never played it.

ArchAngel

Arcane

possible companions
Bookmark this post.

Untitled-2.jpg
: F-filthy human p-pig!!! Ape! Mayfly! You can't comprehend how strong Eldar emotions are! You can't comprehend how much I... I don't... hate you...

Untitled-22.jpg
: <CHARNAME>, do you think... Do you think I'm pretty? My blue skin, third eye and nimble six fingers probably make me look like a freak. Ah, I never cared about this... But since I've met you... I feel things I've never felt before.
Bah, not even Dark Eldar (Drow)!

Modron

Arcane
Blobbers are a subset of CRPGs. Some might argue that they're truer CRPGs than most modern story driven nonsense.
So you're saying most JRPGs are truer CRPGs than most modern story driven nonsense since a lot of them are just dressed up Wizardriy clones?

Sarathiour

Cipher

possible companions
Bookmark this post.

Untitled-2.jpg
: F-filthy human p-pig!!! Ape! Mayfly! You can't comprehend how strong Eldar emotions are! You can't comprehend how much I... I don't... hate you...

Untitled-22.jpg
: <CHARNAME>, do you think... Do you think I'm pretty? My blue skin, third eye and nimble six fingers probably make me look like a freak. Ah, I never cared about this... But since I've met you... I feel things I've never felt before.

Codex GOTY 2030 :bioware:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom