Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I am going to try and get them to add some suspense horror into the game that includes the proper music too.

I think it's really good opportunity to use that. You could run into large spaceship from the Chaos Realm full of Xenos and dead Space Marines. This is also good place to learn more about the Space Marine companion.

I don't think this should be used a lot in the game as that would tire the player out but an area that you discover as your exploring the map.

There are a lot of possibilities here for story telling and horror.

I'll send them ideas when I am playing the Alpha.

cutting down some rainbows.

It's also interesting that I had contacted the company behind licensing out all these 40k games and suggested a isometric RPG I pointed out "Pathfinder King Maker."

It's big deal that Owlcat got this gig!

Harthwain

Magister
How about Mass Effect then? I'd still take that action. Especially if we're talking about 2, 3, or Andromeda.
You can't be serious. Especially when mentioning Mass Effect 3 and Andromeda. Or are you really that desperate for "action"? I could understand Mass Effect 2, but the rest is shit I wouldn't recommend to anyone, even if they were starving.

I've always felt that the biggest issue plaguing Warhammer is that somewhere around the mid-2000s they starting taking their own shit seriously. Like how originally Space Marines were Better Humans with Better Gear, filled with human strengths and foibles. Then they started believing their own lore and Space Marines just got more and more inflated with every new edition as GW crawled up its own ass.
Funny. I remember reading an article from a tabletop fan (long ago, 10+ years or so) who said the opposite - that he enjoyed Space Marines more when they were superhuman soldiers who knew no fear, and the inclusion of "tactical retreats" and morale turned Space Marines - as a concept - into something less cool as they started to resemble humans more and more.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
How about Mass Effect then? I'd still take that action. Especially if we're talking about 2, 3, or Andromeda.
You can't be serious. Especially when mentioning Mass Effect 3 and Andromeda. Or are you really that desperate for "action"? I could understand Mass Effect 2, but the rest is shit I wouldn't recommend to anyone, even if they were starving.

Um. The fuck are you talking about?
It means that the average dungeon crawler, JRPG or otherwise, is more of an RPG than those games. "I'll take that action" = "I'll take that bet."

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
've always felt that the biggest issue plaguing Warhammer is that somewhere around the mid-2000s they starting taking their own shit seriously. Like how originally Space Marines were Better Humans with Better Gear, filled with human strengths and foibles. Then they started believing their own lore and Space Marines just got more and more inflated with every new edition as GW crawled up its own ass. This is what happened to the setting as a whole and that's how we went from 2000AD style grimdark to modern 40k grimderp. 40k was born out of comic books, but the wargame took over and ate the setting.
I get the impression 40k is popular nowadays in spite of it's background.
It was touched upon a few pages back but there is a noticeable pattern in the numerous fan animations to have all the 2000AD pulpy comic book aspects scrubbed and present things as Starship Troopers military sci-fi with gothic/macabre aesthetics, Astartes being an explicit example of this.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Since there's both a sororita and space wolf among the companions, hopefully this question will be answered during a party conversation:
unknown.png

Harthwain

Magister
It means that the average dungeon crawler, JRPG or otherwise, is more of an RPG than those games. "I'll take that action" = "I'll take that bet."
Ah, OK. That guy is retarded, considering how strongly Disco Elysium's design is linked to the actual tabletop roots, regardless of how lacking some may find the gameplay.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
If we get custom companions and a space marine option, I fully expect someone to make a chapter master mod.

On the other hand, Rogue Traders are way cooler than Astartes and I want options to be a fucking bastard. In space.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If we get custom companions and a space marine option, I fully expect someone to make a chapter master mod.

On the other hand, Rogue Traders are way cooler than Astartes and I want options to be a fucking bastard. In space.
Looking forward to your former heretic simulator more, to be honest.

Codex Year of the Donut
Ah, OK. That guy is retarded, considering how strongly Disco Elysium's design is linked to the actual tabletop roots, regardless of how lacking some may find the gameplay.
monopoly is linked to tabletop, doesn't mean the monopoly video game is an rpg

DeepOcean

Arcane
You are commander Shepard, captain of the Normandy Imperial barge by the grace of the Emperor and you will collect xenos that all want your cock for some reason, including Bob, the gender confused Tyranid.

Vatnik Wumao
I'm excited to see what owlcat does with this setting. I think a lot of 40k fans like myself aren't familiar with a "softer," more relatable side of the setting and afaik very few if any developers have tried to explore it.
One good example for W40k that doesn't directly touch the overarching war narratives are Warhammer Crime and Warhammer Horror novels (careful: not always immediately clear whether those are W40k or just the plain fantasy setting). Still pretty dark, but not part of the neverending war against the zerg/orc/space-elves/space-mummies/chaos.
I'd recommend reading The Infinite and the Divine for a more lighthearted and smaller scale story set in Wh40k. It's a wonderful book, although I'm probably biased since I love both the Tomb Kings and the current version of the Necrons which resembles them more.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyway any idea how to get the main ability (it's called Hunt. It's supposed to debuff all enemy AC of a certain type - infantry, ranged, or cav - once per fight, no resources required) of the Ranger General to work?

How does that happen that you make a major change (making the non-caster generals competitive seemed like a big issue) that doesn't even do anything? don't even test it?

Not super on-topic except this kind of thing really sours people on Owlcat in general.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron

A saw the movie, I think even twice, very long time ago, but something never occurred to me. While the bad guy is a crippled man without a hand and a silly gizmo in its place she is fit and has a big ass sword. While he fights alone, you could say honourably, she has help of a third party her steed/dinosaur/whatever - in something that is meant as a duel. Basically she cheats. I suppose he is a male fighting a female so it evens things but still...

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
So, you want to ride the Wolf!

Dev's have said on the discord that the Space Marine isn't going to be a romance option sadly.

Took quite some restraint on their part, I am sure. In the lore it is usually stated that space marines lose the sex drive after being augmented, however specificaly for the Space Wolfs there is a special character who is famous on Fenris for fucking all the local women (IIRC its some Bloodclaws sergeant or something) - not sure how is that possible but w/e. We really dodged a bullet here.

Stoned Ape

Savant
TBH, I'm not thrilled by the fact the companion is a Space Wolf. I think it would have been much more interesting if they'd included a non first founding chapter.

It would have been particularly cool if they'd included a Crimson Fist instead, preferably one wearing mk6 power armour.

Vatnik Wumao
TBH, I'm not thrilled by the fact the companion is a Space Wolf. I think it would have been much more interesting if they'd included a non first founding chapter.

It would have been particularly cool if they'd included a Crimson Fist instead, preferably one wearing mk6 power armour.
Should've included some renegade space marine instead and no Sororitas companion. Would've made more sense too given the setting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom