Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Peachcurl

Arcane
TBH, I'm not thrilled by the fact the companion is a Space Wolf. I think it would have been much more interesting if they'd included a non first founding chapter.

It would have been particularly cool if they'd included a Crimson Fist instead, preferably one wearing mk6 power armour.

I see more of a problem with lack of an alternative traitor marine choice.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
So, you want to ride the Wolf!

Dev's have said on the discord that the Space Marine isn't going to be a romance option sadly.

Took quite some restraint on their part, I am sure. In the lore it is usually stated that space marines lose the sex drive after being augmented, however specificaly for the Space Wolfs there is a special character who is famous on Fenris for fucking all the local women (IIRC its some Bloodclaws sergeant or something) - not sure how is that possible but w/e. We really dodged a bullet here.
It always was strange to me. Astartes were limited in numbers and precious, their gene-seed or whatever that was called is always harvested, loss is a bad thing. Why didn't Emperor when creating Astartes (and we know they weren't the peak of his craft) didn't make them able to reproduce? It wouldn't have to be a exactly human-like reproduction. Certainly not with sex drive existing all the time like in adult humans. He should have been able to think of something. Something that wouldn't be interfering with their ability as soldiers. If not original then nature gives as many options to choose from. Emperor was supposedly smart, more likely an idiot savant in reality, he could have done it.

Peachcurl

Arcane
It always was strange to me. Astartes were limited in numbers and precious, their gene-seed or whatever that was called is always harvested, loss is a bad thing. Why didn't Emperor when creating Astartes (and we know they weren't the peak of his craft) didn't make them able to reproduce? It wouldn't have to be a exactly human-like reproduction. Certainly not with sex drive existing all the time like in adult humans. He should have been able to think of something. Something that wouldn't be interfering with their ability as soldiers. If not original then nature gives as many options to choose from. Emperor was supposedly smart, more likely an idiot savant in reality, he could have done it.

I think the reasons given go in the direction of him wanting to preserve humanity rather than replace humanity with super-humans. There are character's in the setting that think differently, but they are more on the Chaos side (e.g., Bile).

Thonius

Arcane
TBH, I'm not thrilled by the fact the companion is a Space Wolf. I think it would have been much more interesting if they'd included a non first founding chapter.

It would have been particularly cool if they'd included a Crimson Fist instead, preferably one wearing mk6 power armour.
Should've included some renegade space marine instead and no Sororitas companion. Would've made more sense too given the setting.
Just add Alfarius and call it a day.. is he really Omigon? Is he traitor or is he a loyal? We'll never know!

Thonius

Arcane

Dev's have said on the discord that the Space Marine isn't going to be a romance option sadly.

Took quite some restraint on their part, I am sure. In the lore it is usually stated that space marines lose the sex drive after being augmented, however specificaly for the Space Wolfs there is a special character who is famous on Fenris for fucking all the local women (IIRC its some Bloodclaws sergeant or something) - not sure how is that possible but w/e. We really dodged a bullet here.
It's not that SEEED they harvest after battle, afaik they just harvest some one organ or shit.

Vatnik Wumao
Just add Alfarius and call it a day.. is he really Omigon? Is he traitor or is he a loyal? We'll never know!
On a serious note, you could have a neat personal quest with an RSM since the RSM are predisposed to turning into CSM sooner or later and you could be the one facilitating the change depending on how you deal with his personal quest.

Peachcurl

Arcane
On a serious note, you could have a neat personal quest with an RSM since the RSM are predisposed to turning into CSM sooner or later and you could be the one facilitating the change depending on how you deal with his personal quest.
Sure, that would be great. Much easier to sell that, than having a wolf fall to chaos, although theoretically possible.

lightbane

Arcane
We should have had something more interesting than a Furry Wolf as a Marine companion. Oh well, at least it's not a Kroot or an Ork companion (yet).

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

The thing is that Emperor wasn’t able to predict Horus Heresy and the general fall in the technology level that happened afterwards. Number of Space Marines was fairly massive during the Great Crusade and, with a few exceptions where their gene seed was flawed, were being "produced" without problems by experts who knew exactly what they were doing. Post-heresy the infrastructure that existed largely fell apart and the scientific process was to a large extend replaced by religious mumbo-jumbo, so things don’t really work too well now (I remember reading that the survival rate for people undergoing augmentation dropped pretty sharply in the current time line, because they are required to fast and undergo various bizarre rituals that weaken them physically for religious reasons).

In any case the current "procreation" of space marines happens by having certain organs (progenoid glands) grow within them, then upon their dead the grown organs (aka gene seed) are removed by an apothecary and returned for implantation into another candidate. This wouldn’t be a problem, if the infrastructure that produced the organs artificially worked as intended by the Emperor, but its majorly fucked by now (Imperium largely lost the ability to produce gene seed artificially, hence they have to rely on harvesting the gene seed from the existing marines).

He certainly could have come with a better system, but if it wasn’t for Horus Heresy, the system he created would have worked fine.

Thonius

Arcane
Oh yeah turn killing machine next to you from being emperor drone that suppose to protec imperium and you by extend to some crazy csm mofo.... at any rate they should've go for more flexible chapter, so that SM could tolerate some heresy.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Why didn't Emperor when creating Astartes (and we know they weren't the peak of his craft) didn't make them able to reproduce?
For one thing, many of the "parts" that make up a Space Marine are mechanical, and others need to be grown in a lab and implanted.

SMs are meant to be mass produced and (relatively) easily replaced - they are not like the Custodes that need to be painstakingly crafted over centuries.

Also, they were never meant to be a replacement for baseline humans. Astartes are a weapon of war, they were meant to conquer the galaxy during the Great Crusade, liberate all the lost worlds of man and integrate them in the Imperium and then safeguard the evacuation of all humans in the galaxy into the Webway, after which they would have stopped being produced and left to die naturally (the Emperor was not going to do what he did to the Thunder Warriors, since the SMs were far more stable).

They were basically a stopgap solution and a dead end, not the natural evolution of peak humanity the Emperor envisioned. I suspect Custodes are much closer to what a naturally evolved superior human was going to be like, considering they don't have any cybernetic enhancements.

The Emperor had plans to guide humanity through their psychic awakening while in the Webway, which would have put them outside the clutches of Chaos.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The thing is that Emperor wasn’t able to predict Horus Heresy and the general fall in the technology level that happened afterwards.
The Emperor knew the Hours Heresy was going to happen. There's a short story where he and Malcador are playing a game and discuss which of the Primarchs are going to stay loyal, and which are going to turn traitor. I think the one thing he did not see coming was Horus turning traitor, or Magnus being an idiot and ruining the Webway portal.

The God Emperor has been noted on several occasion to exist outside of space and time (Cawl at one point talks to the Emperor through one of his memories and notes with joy and reverence this fact).

Post-heresy the infrastructure that existed largely fell apart and the scientific process was to a large extend replaced by religious mumbo-jumb
Faith has been shown to actually repel Chaos - there's instances of particularly devout individuals being able to physically hurt daemons through prayer. Even Malcador experimented to see if faith could be weaponized during the Heresy.

I assume the God Emperor didn't bother trying to encourage worship of himself because the plan was always to get humans into the Webway and away from the influence of the Ruinous Powers, thus rendering the need to use faith as a shield against corruption moot, and likely a cause of problems in the future.

because they are required to fast and undergo various bizarre rituals that weaken them physically for religious reasons
41st century SM are psychologically brainwashed and brain-wiped to ensure greater loyalty unlike their pre-Heresy counterparts.

The greater rate of failure is likely due to increasing deterioration of the geneseed over the millennia.

He certainly could have come with a better system, but if it wasn’t for Horus Heresy, the system he created would have worked fine.
I fail to see how considering that in the 41st millennium you have thousands of SM chapters operating all across the Imperium, some of which don't make contact with an Imperial world for centuries on end, yet manage to retain unit cohesion specifically because the SMs themselves are the main source of the raw materials necessary to create new SMs.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Never mind peak evolution of humanity, I think we are reaching peak evolution of autism in this thread.
And this is bad how? It's what Emperor wants for Mankind. Or perhaps the Chaos. Or perhaps Emperor joins Khorne, Tze and grandpa Nurgle to play bridge every weekend and they discuss CRPGs. I think Tzeentch and Emperor are the storyfag types, the other two are combat-fags but Nurgle also like procedural generation while Khorne hates it. Slanesh is not invited, Grandpa doesn't like him.
How is that for autism?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The thing is that Emperor wasn’t able to predict Horus Heresy and the general fall in the technology level that happened afterwards.
The Emperor knew the Hours Heresy was going to happen. There's a short story where he and Malcador are playing a game and discuss which of the Primarchs are going to stay loyal, and which are going to turn traitor. I think the one thing he did not see coming was Horus turning traitor, or Magnus being an idiot and ruining the Webway portal.
That's Emperor who was an idiot. Making sons that were so full of themselves and not expect them to betray you was stupid already. Especially considering Emperor was immortal so they couldn't have hoped to become heirs themselves ever - without eliminating their father first. Emperor was supposed to witness 30+k of human history and he didn't learn the lesson even a remotely intelligent history buff from late 20th century - end before, and after - knows. Then he makes the most ambitious and egotist son stand above all others. My grandma would expect Horus Heresy - by Horus but millennia old super-thingy-whatever could not. Chaos just happened to be around but really wasn't even necessary.
As to Magnus, this again Emperor being an idiot not Magnus. Sending his sons to the Galaxy where they'd obviously be targeted by Chaos, without telling them what the game is all about, was one thing. But not telling it to Magnus who had some knowledge and power by himself is another level of stupidity. What did he expect would happen?
Emperor was such an idiot in so many ways. I suppose this reflects the quality of the W40k lore-makers. There are some OK authors (Abnett for once) but overall it's crap made by morons.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
A saw the movie, I think even twice, very long time ago, but something never occurred to me. While the bad guy is a crippled man without a hand and a silly gizmo in its place she is fit and has a big ass sword. While he fights alone, you could say honourably, she has help of a third party her steed/dinosaur/whatever - in something that is meant as a duel. Basically she cheats. I suppose he is a male fighting a female so it evens things but still...

The cartoon in the trailer reminded me of that movie. The stronk wimmen thing has a looong history.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Janissary

fizzelopeguss

Arcane

The God Emperor has been noted on several occasion to exist outside of space and time (Cawl at one point talks to the Emperor through one of his memories and notes with joy and reverence this fact).

Faith has been shown to actually repel Chaos - there's instances of particularly devout individuals being able to physically hurt daemons through prayer. Even Malcador experimented to see if faith could be weaponized during the Heresy.

I assume the God Emperor didn't bother trying to encourage worship of himself because the plan was always to get humans into the Webway and away from the influence of the Ruinous Powers, thus rendering the need to use faith as a shield against corruption moot, and likely a cause of problems in the future.

41st century SM are psychologically brainwashed and brain-wiped to ensure greater loyalty unlike their pre-Heresy counterparts.

The greater rate of failure is likely due to increasing deterioration of the geneseed over the millennia.

I fail to see how considering that in the 41st millennium you have thousands of SM chapters operating all across the Imperium, some of which don't make contact with an Imperial world for centuries on end, yet manage to retain unit cohesion specifically because the SMs themselves are the main source of the raw materials necessary to create new SMs.

Is this the fucking trash they put in those novels now?

Vatnik Wumao
That's Emperor who was an idiot. Making sons that were so full of themselves and not expect them to betray you was stupid already.
That's the point though. He wanted some of them to betray him and likewise he wanted them to develop unhealthy rivalries among themselves which would ultimately contribute to their corruption and betrayal.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I will admit that seeing a FFG d100 warhammer rpg is something I have wanted for quite a while (I played quite a few campaigns of it, mostly dark heresy but also some RT).

I am a bit skeptical though. The system was not great for buildporn in general, and RT was especially barebones (no multiclassing, no prestige classes and iirc options within the classes were pretty limited as well except for maybe spellcasters). And there's no way they'll implement psykers with the full perils table(every time you cast a spell, there's like a 1/400 chance that you instantly get swallowed by the warp and die. No fate reroll or burning to prevent it either).

Otoh, if they get the guy who wrote Regill to be leader writer, their depiction of the Imperium will likely be spot on.
Rogue trader is also the least grimdark part of humanity, as they're basically megawealthy nobles who are theoretically immune to even the inquisitions authority, so it kinda makes sense the game isn't that grimdark but the art style and assets of the pathfinder games are a bit too cartoony either way.

Humbaba

Arcane

Should've included some renegade space marine instead and no Sororitas companion. Would've made more sense too given the setting.

Don't worry, you'll get enough traitor marine action when Owlcat does Black Crusade.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom