Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
I will keep posting art as long as nomodel secondaries keep making this point.

It's not the lack or presence of colour that lets the art style down. Bosch is colourful as fuck, yet clearly evokes different feelings compared to equally colourful Renoir.

Even the piece you linked, despite the bright palette, feels nicely grungy. Owlcat's 40k does not.

Stoned Ape

Savant
It's both. That's how samizdat works.

When it was first written 40k's setting was 100% ironic. Like I mentioned previously, it was basically taken from 2000AD, specifically Nemesis the Warlock. The Imperium of Man is pretty much Tomas de Torquemada's Grand Termight Empire.

"Nemesis the Warlock is a comic series created by writer Pat Mills and artist Kevin O'Neill which appeared in the pages of the British weekly comics anthology 2000 AD. The title character, a fire-breathing demonic alien, fights against the fanatical Torquemada, Grand Master of the Terran Empire in Earth's distant future, and his attempts to exterminate all alien life."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_the_Warlock

220px-Nemesis1.jpg

220px-Torquemada2.jpg

Last edited:

Saravan

Savant
Doesn't look that grim dark to me. Bright and cartoonish.

I will keep posting art as long as nomodel secondaries keep making this point.

454px-2ndeditionoxart.jpg

Even the modern stuff is fairly bright.

ragnardghaz.jpg

Not to mention the actual citadel paints. This shit ain't Quake.

I know that you are just trolling, but you actually managed to confused our resident glowie into thinking that grimdark really refer to a color palette.

Nah he is a certified retard who can't differentiate between cartoony/grimdark (artstyle) and the fucking color schemes of pictures. Look everyone, there are colors in this picture. Yeah but the game is still filled with re-used Pathfag assets all over the place. That's a point about style, jfc the fact that this needs to be clarified.

Sarathiour

Cipher
I know that you are just trolling, but you actually managed to confused our resident glowie into thinking that grimdark really refer to a color palette.

I don't really care about color pallet, the problem with grimdark eternal war is that there is less room for narratives and characters that relate to the human experience.
Are you blind lol

Then why are you even acknowledging his point ?
For the rest I guess it depend on your take on thing. Grimdark make personnel action relatively irrelevant in the grand order of thing, which has more to do with nihilism than empathy.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
It's both. That's how samizdat works.

When it was first written 40k's setting was 100% ironic. Like I mentioned previously, it was basically taken from 2000AD, specifically Nemesis the Warlock. The Imperium of Man is pretty much Tomas de Torquemada's Grand Termight Empire.

"Nemesis the Warlock is a comic series created by writer Pat Mills and artist Kevin O'Neill which appeared in the pages of the British weekly comics anthology 2000 AD. The title character, a fire-breathing demonic alien, fights against the fanatical Torquemada, Grand Master of the Terran Empire in Earth's distant future, and his attempts to exterminate all alien life."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_the_Warlock

220px-Nemesis1.jpg

220px-Torquemada2.jpg

And now that the fanaticism is on the other foot the samizdat plays it both ways. Living constitution. Peterson/Crowder are not the droids you're looking for (not the present day equivalent of Mills/O'Neill who were already chasing ghosts at that time in any case). Not really my fight but that's the dynamic.

Brickfrog

Learned
Then why are you even acknowledging his point ?

You're asking me why I responded to someone on a discussion forum? In this case it was to voice mild disagreement. This seems obvious to me.

How did you read "I don't care about color pallet" as "grimdark is about color pallet?"

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I don't really care about color pallet, the problem with grimdark eternal war is that there is less room for narratives and characters that relate to the human experience. That's a problem if your trying to tell an engaging story that people will relate to.

That isn't to say a story about grimdark eternal war couldn't be cool as hell in its own way if written by the right person, but we all know owlcat doesn't have the right people for that, and almost certainly wouldn't want to go in that direction anyway.
While there's a lot of wars going on in the galaxy and those wars tend to be exceptionally brutal and destructive, the average planet in 40K is not actually directly involved in any war most of the time. Sure, 40K stories are typically centered around war because they're based on a wargame, but the RPGs like Rogue Trader and Dark Heresy are great for exploring other kinds of stories. You can find a suitable setting for pretty much any type of story you want somewhere in the 40K galaxy.

Humbaba

Arcane
Look everyone, there are colors in this picture. Yeah but the game is still filled with re-used Pathfag assets all over the place. That's a point about style, jfc the fact that this needs to be clarified.

So you are expecting 3d models to look like 2d art. One of us certainly is retarded. And that's beside the fact that everyone else was in fact talking about colours.

Brickfrog

Learned
the RPGs like Rogue Trader and Dark Heresy are great for exploring other kinds of stories. You can find a suitable setting for pretty much any type of story you want somewhere in the 40K galaxy.
I'm excited to see what owlcat does with this setting. I think a lot of 40k fans like myself aren't familiar with a "softer," more relatable side of the setting and afaik very few if any developers have tried to explore it.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
the problem with grimdark eternal war is that there is less room for narratives and characters that relate to the human experience.

Grimdark make personnel action relatively irrelevant in the grand order of thing, which has more to do with nihilism than empathy.

Imo that is one of the possible narratives and certainly used to be a focus of WH Fantasy RPG. Basically, no matter what you achieve, the world is doomed, you might just stave it off for a bit. It's very similar to the themes that come up in Eldritch Horror (e.g. Cthulhu) type of stories.

Either way, what (little) I know about Rogue Trader is that you're basically a ship operating outside of the Imperium, doing... whatever - exploration, interactions with other species that would probably be heretical within the Imperium, etc. This would suggest that whatever story they have won't be the same as something like DOW or Battle Sector where it's all marines / IG killing xenos all day and all night.

Saravan

Savant
Look everyone, there are colors in this picture. Yeah but the game is still filled with re-used Pathfag assets all over the place. That's a point about style, jfc the fact that this needs to be clarified.

So you are expecting 3d models to look like 2d art. One of us certainly is retarded. And that's beside the fact that everyone else was in fact talking about colours.

Man it must really suck to shill this hard without pay.

There have been tons of WH games that have been made with 3D models, everything from Total War to Mechanicus. You can instantly recognize that it's a WH game from the artstyle alone.

If you would take the in-game footage seen from this trailer without knowing the title you would think it's an iron gods DLC for Wrathfinder.

Stoned Ape

Savant
And now that the fanaticism is on the other foot the samizdat plays it both ways. Living constitution. Peterson/Crowder are not the droids you're looking for (not the present day equivalent of Mills/O'Neill who were already chasing ghosts at that time in any case). Not really my fight but that's the dynamic.

As far as I remember, throughout the majority of the story Nemesis was portrayed as a kind of dark, morally grey hero, but it was revealed towards the end of the series that he was actually the pure embodiment of chaos and had the power to destroy Earth any time he wanted to. He was fighting against Torquemada for his own entertainment and was magically brainwashing Purity (his human ally) so she was unaware of this.

dr4.jpg

Last edited:

Humbaba

Arcane
blabla shill blabla Mechanicus (also uses Unity but who cares) blabla I own no models and I WILL be retarded

A nomodel retard like you wouldn't recognise 40k if it fucked you up the ass. Stop posting until you get into the hobby.

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
In the era of lootboxes and microtransactions, an American complains that an RPG is too long.

Sorry, but... what?

Their games are too long. 60 hours is the rough ideal for a fully-featured RPG before expansions/DLC. There's not enough variety to justify 120+.

Frustrating thing is that they acknowledged Kingmaker was too long and said they were going to aim to make Wrath a 60 hour game, and then just blew right past that and made it just it as long anyway.

It's not the enemy variety that is lacking, it's the shit AI they gave it. They tried to simulate BG II circa ~2000 A.I., and they succeeded, but 20 years had passed since. And while nostalgia is good, it doesn't keep you going for 100+ hours. If you or anyone else have anything to say about this, post on my profile. I'm not going to respond here.

I can't comment here for a while because Saravan and Ibn Sina will rate me poorly no matter what I say, so I'm being bullied out of the thread. Enjoy the echo chamber. I'll be back when either they get bored, or when a new thread happens.

And if you're thinking I haven't tried debating them go back like 15 pages, when I asked them to debate me in detail, and they refused. So it's not me being obtuse. It's them.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I dunno man iv played a lot of Warhammer franchise games as well as the tabletop and I can't remember any narratives about townsfolk going about their lives or something similar. It's pretty much all death all the time.

Maybe that stuff is in the books for the hyperdorks to read but I'm not aware of it and I doubt the vast majority of people familiar with 40k are either.
I don't understand what you want, then. You're complaining about Warhammer 40k setting not being good enough for narrative RPGs but then scoff at narrative material that can be used in an RPG. Can you make up your mind? Do you want a CRPG or a wargame?

Also the vast majority of people who think they are familiar with 40k are not. Playing DoW doesn't make you an expert.

The_Mask

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is another standard defence mechanism prevalent among retards like yourself. If you have played WotR and dislike it, why would you play it? If you didn't play it and dislike the game, then you don't "know enough" to criticize it.
Okay, name a female character, other than a companion or Areelu Vorlesh that is successful in any meaningful capacity. Name 1 transvestite or minority character that is successful in any meaningful way. Name any man that isn't really successful other than any that are under the direct command of a woman.

I mean, you can call me retarded, but then if I ask you to thoroughly analyze what Baphomet's plan is, you're going to start really thinking, and then you might look real awkward with all those retarded ratings dished out.

Like... you have to imagine that I'm not shy to go back and rate all your dumbfuckery as it should be, right? You are smart enough, because you're smarter than me, right... to realize that I'm baiting you.
Saravan - until you don't reply to this, I don't think you and I have anything to converse. Agreed?

The_Mask

Patron
You keep rating me butthurt. And you seem to be running out of clever pictures. Why?

Pride is a sin Saravan - only Humility will set you free. I'm humble. I said I'd go, but when you decided to talk, I backed down. Why won't you?

Notice: that is the difference between you and me.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They are going to do their own story and characters. No adaptation of any current campaigns.

That information is interesting.

Saravan

Savant
You keep rating me butthurt. And you seem to be running out of clever pictures. Why?

Pride is a sin Saravan - only Humility will set you free. I'm humble. I said I'd go, but when you decided to talk, I backed down. Why won't you?

Notice: that is the difference between you and me.

Please save some of the faggotry for the game, will be plenty for you to exert when it comes out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom