Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Indeed!
Nope.jpg
fz0cc4gfs1a01.jpg

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Back in my day you would have to watch their streams and answer questions about their previous titles correctly, in order to win any sort of keys. Decline!

Skdursh

Savant
Back in my day you would have to watch their streams and answer questions about their previous titles correctly, in order to win any sort of keys. Decline!
Even with Elon at the helm, Twitter is exclusively for retards, degenerates and the CIA/CCP glowbots used to manipulate the aforementioned. 9/10 chance that Feds win all the keys.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Even with Elon at the helm, Twitter is exclusively for retards, degenerates and the CIA/CCP glowbots used to manipulate the aforementioned. 9/10 chance that Feds win all the keys.
Their streams were on Twitch, and they were pretty legit back in the day, when they had a max of 30 viewers.

Not sure why they don't stream anymore. Maybe Julia got sick and tired of us. Can't say I blame her. We can be pretty big asshats.

Basshead

Educated
Owl cat certainly has a lot of faults. The pathfinder games each have their own weaknesses, but they also got a lot of things right. I just seized Drezen in Wrath of the Righteous and the only wizard companion I’ve come across turned out to be a literal furry for fucks sake.

The games are very slow and chuggy for what they are. I think they would run much much better with pre-rendered backgrounds and sprites. Saving also takes forever, and the ui is frustratingly slow. The technical problems seem to be endemic to rpgs made with unity, as the new wasteland games have the same issues.
To top it off, the art style in pathfinder just doesn’t do it for me. The tone is off. Everything has a cartoony look and feel. I felt the sequel particularly should have taken a page from baldurs gate, Diablo, etc. to make the demons seem truly terrifying to encounter. The world wound should be a literal hell on earth, with all the chaos that would bring. It just doesn’t convey the setting well. I wasn’t very familiar with pathfinder before these games and maybe this is the theme pathfinder is known for. Still, I’ve had a hard time even finding a portrait I’ve liked for these games.

I also feel like the combat system as a whole is significantly worse than baldurs gate. There’s serious bloat everywhere: too many classes, too many confusing feats that do the same shit, too many spells that also do basically the same shit. Baldurs gate was very lean in comparison. I do like the increased flexibility of being able to choose any class when leveling, and there are alot of cool classes and kits like the grenadier alchemist. But a lot of this stuff could have been simplified and trimmed down and it would make for a better game. It also has a lot of archaic things going on under the hood that don’t suit a RTWP game. You basically have to enter turn based to complete a lot of the difficult encounters, but then switch back so all the trash mobs don’t take forever. Definitely a game that is hard to pin down.

Now that I’ve shit on it for several paragraphs let me give credit where it’s due. For all of these faults, the game does a better job than any other recent game of capturing that Baldurs Gate feel. The formula still makes for fun rpg adventuring all these years later. Sure, the characters, writing, art style and music will never surpass the classics, but it’s still enjoyable on its own merits. I’m also loving the mythic paths. I even like the crusade system, simplistic as it is. Owlcat games’ are ambitious and experimental. Sure, the results have been hit and miss, but they do seem to be learning from mistakes.

I for one am very excited to see what they do with Rogue Trader. The concept really is a dream come true. The fact that it’s turn based only, and takes place in one of the most intriguing roleplaying scenarios ever gives me high hopes. If they can make it just a bit more focused than pathfinder, tone down the cringe and embrace the darkness of 40k, then we could be looking at a modern classic. Of course the prospect of this game being done by one of the rpg devs of the aughts is too good to exist, but this could be the next best thing.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Of course rusty_shackleford will get his hands on a key :lol:

Tomas

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
So this is a good thing then:

Your account is permanently suspended​

After careful review, we determined your account broke the Twitter Rules. Your account is permanently in read-only mode, which means you can’t Tweet, Retweet, or Like content. You won’t be able to create new accounts. If you think we got this wrong, you can submit an appeal.

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Please share pictures of the Alpha. I would love to see what it looks like. Do they do anything with the Warp Ship, are their battles on the Map etc.

Love to see it.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The Alpha is just around the corner, and if you want to become a part of this extremely thrilling journey, don’t miss your chance! Today and tomorrow our partners will raffle off hundreds of keys to Warhammer 40,000: Rogue trader Alpha: Bricky (https://www.twitch.tv/bricky), Fextralife.com, Gamestar.de, Wargamer.com. Moreover, you will get a chance to win the Collector’s edition on CohhCarnage’s stream https://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage. Stay tuned for their announcements and be ready to get on board!
Obrázek

Twitch
Twitch
Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.
Obrázek

Twitch
Twitch
Obrázek

Edit for Infinitron: I got this straight off the devs discord. BTW I am currently barricading myself in my flat as I wait for the Alpha key - should get it sometimes tomorrow.

Last edited:

Tomas

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The Alpha is just around the corner, and if you want to become a part of this extremely thrilling journey, don’t miss your chance! Today and tomorrow our partners will raffle off hundreds of keys to Warhammer 40,000: Rogue trader Alpha: Bricky (https://www.twitch.tv/bricky), Fextralife.com, Gamestar.de, Wargamer.com. Moreover, you will get a chance to win the Collector’s edition on CohhCarnage’s stream https://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage. Stay tuned for their announcements and be ready to get on board!
Obrázek

Twitch
Twitch
Obrázek

Twitch
Twitch
Obrázek

Edit for Infinitron: I got this straight off the devs discord. BTW I am currently barricading myself in my flat as I wait for the Alpha key - should get it sometimes tomorrow.
Great timing I am "working" from home tomorrow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom