Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Morgoth, please... for the love of all that is holy, stop pasting FEXTRALIFE clickbait garbage...

It barely qualifies as an opinion.

Barely heard of his channel. But after finishing watching the video and his bitching about lack of VO, your wish shall be granted.

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
ohh wow ...oh shit shit space battles. Fully Voiced Mwhahaha are you crazy! that would make this game how may gigs? 100s?

Thanks for this!

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I only would like to play the Alpha so I my give opinions and what to do better. Start with the ship battles which need to be in a better view and in space. I have to check out some games. There are some 40k Warship games.

I also want to see some real horror in this game and the atmosphere to go with it. Combination of story telling, atmosphere because of the place(Say finding Space hulk and murder that involves a companion etc) and also the music low tone dark atmospheric, pads.

I looks really good though. Watching this youtube vid without sound.

But after finishing watching the video and his bitching about lack of VO, your wish shall be granted.
He makes a reasonable point, actually.

Wrath of the Righteous was pretty damn weird in that sense, too, since there were sizable portions of the game that were basically fully voiced and other where there was hardly a single voiced line.
If you go out of your way to voice 45-50% of your game, you may as well do the extra step and do the full thing. It comes at an additional cost, sure, but there are arguments to be made about how a fully voiced game basically repays itself just with the increase in audience that this can bring.

Josh Sawyer in his post mortem of POE II was one of the first to point that , for instance, streamers hate to keep playing games with large amount of non-voiced dialogue, because that usually translates with having to read the line aloud to their audience, which gets fucking exhausting on the long run.
And if streamers/youtubers are not playing something, that's a lot less organic advertising you'll get.

But I know you gaming luddites don't want to hear it.

Baldur's Gate already solved this a million years ago. Have the first line voiced to imprint your imagination, read the rest to expand it.
That doesn't really address any of the points I made.

But I can also predict the next attempt: "Waaah, waaah, I read faster than the actor recites his lines anyway". Which is a pointless argument as well, since it has some merit only when the voice acting is bad enough that you want to skip it.
Otherwise a good performance is undeniably added value, because an actor can define a character with it.
Auntie Ethiel in BG3 Early Access is definitely an example of a character that is enriched by the voice performance behind it, for instance.

Somehow this bias seems to apply just selectively to some games and not other ones, too. Wonder how people would feel about a Vampire Bloodlines sequel ( and I mean one that 1- is actually good 2-actually exists) if it was text only.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
You should know how they design their secondary mechanics by now.

I guarantee you they still haven't learned shit from Wrath and its Crusade Mode, or the awful loading screens.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Josh Sawyer in his post mortem of POE II was one of the first to point that , for instance, streamers hate to keep playing games with large amount of non-voiced dialogue, because that usually translates with having to read the line aloud to their audience, which gets fucking exhausting on the long run.
And if streamers/youtubers are not playing something, that's a lot less organic advertising you'll get.

But I know you gaming luddites don't want to hear it.

Look I'm not saying you're wrong, and the opinion of one tiny indie dev against basically the entire industry is worth essentially nothing...

But fuck streamers. Fuck everybody catering to streamers. Fuck the people who watch streamers nonstop instead of experiencing their own media.

756htyujytu65u.png

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Owlcat's commitment to at best superflous and at worst horrifyingly detracting secondary systems is at this point almost admirable. The retard strength necessary to insist on making that stuff even though everyone hates it is impressive, as is making each new iteration worse than the last

randir14

Augur
That performance is unacceptable and "it's still alpha" isn't an excuse. Baldur's Gate 3 is also in alpha and has both looked and performed better ever since its first early access build. Look at WOTR's fourth act to get a preview of how shitty Rogue Trader will run at release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom