Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

user

Savant
Imagine playing Kingmaker on release day, you'd have to put up with RTWP!
To be fair, without real-time the game would take 5 years to complete. What is funny, now that Warhammer is full TB, they have not toned down the amount of mobs. Some fights last a good while, if you can't get a good AOE going.

They last a good while and sometimes the last mob runs into a wall, becomes invulnerable and they last forever.

:rage:

Erebus

Arcane
Just finished the prologue. I wonder if Owlcat will ever design a prologue where waves of enemies do not show up and attack everyone in sight during the first 10 minutes ? I get it, it makes things intense right from the start and it offers plenty of occasions to teach the players how the game works. But it's becoming kind of predictable (and it's not exactly a token of quality, as illustrated by NWN 1).

Still, the game seems rather promising. I'm not much of a fan of the W40K setting, but so far, the game is making it fairly engaging.

Most of the fights were very easy, but the chaos spawn was a nice wake-up call. Is there any way to defeat it other than to ignore it until you've killed all of its allies ?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Guys, I was playing, lv 28, during act two, did the quests for the Xenos companion, decided to chagne the video resolution and the game not only crashed but now would't open no matter what. If I try to change the proton version in Linux, the game says that needs dx11. Anyone knows the place where the conf files is stored for this game? So I can fix the problem manually?

The game was working falwlessly with GE-PRoton7-20 and now, I click in launch and the game goes into a endless black screen. With other proton versions, the agme gives a dx11 error.

edit : After changing the proton to a older version, the grame finally launched I'm using Proton 6 if I remember correctly.

Harthwain

Magister
Nah, we were both standing in open as I got sick of argenta being completely useless far behind cover so I decided to just go stand in open and flank whoever I wanted her to hit. Still even if you attack and hit on occassion with bursts she has to kill 3 (or 2 for me as I took the talent) before she gets even that tiny bonus. She has no damage bonuse, unrealiable AoE and no tanking skills. Still useless compared with everyone else. Fucking charge is free attack with no penalty and she gets that terrible run and gun skill.
I thought Run and Gun skill is good, because it essentially means she gets to move and burst things down twice and she was either doing damage or killing enemies with it pretty well (and you can remove the penalties caused by Run and Gun with other abilities). But I just finished Prologue and am playing on Hard, so that could be the reason why (on Unfair enemy gets even more bonuses to dodge and cover, I am playing on Hard).

Imagine playing Kingmaker on release day, you'd have to put up with RTWP!
To be fair, without real-time the game would take 5 years to complete. What is funny, now that Warhammer is full TB, they have not toned down the amount of mobs. Some fights last a good while, if you can't get a good AOE going.
I always thought Kingmaker was supposed to reflect RTwP classics, such as Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series?

Just finished the prologue. I wonder if Owlcat will ever design a prologue where waves of enemies do not show up and attack everyone in sight during the first 10 minutes ? I get it, it makes things intense right from the start and it offers plenty of occasions to teach the players how the game works. But it's becoming kind of predictable (and it's not exactly a token of quality, as illustrated by NWN 1).
Honestly, I don't have a problem with waves of enemies, considering that enemies aren't bullet sponges (which is a refreshing take for me). It makes for a very fast paced combat (contrary to some opinion I have seen here). It also makes sense from the story perspective - they want to throw you into the action right away, rather than bombarding you with lore bombs, and explain how you become the titular Rogue Trader from get-go. It may not be the peak writing, but it's serviceable.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Played for around 20 hours and in the middle of chapter 2.

The combat is pretty good, unlike their pathfinder games which mainly focus on buff your party beforehand and crush everything with auto attack, this time it's more buff your team during combat until they are more overpowered than the primarchs. Every encouter you face a bunch of enemies and I think that's on purpose, because you can kill them to get more buffs. If there is only the boss the encounter will actually be harder.

Not sure about how it will hold up in a second playthrough since the build diversity seems to be lacking.

Characters and stories, C&C, itemization and other minor RPG systems seems to be ranging from OK to good, but I'm fairly early in the game. Still already miles better than BG 3.

Ship combat and puzzle are dog shit, but it's an Owlcat tradition at this point. Every game they just had to include some dog shit system to let everyone know they are still Owlcat, and they haven't learn anything.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nah, we were both standing in open as I got sick of argenta being completely useless far behind cover so I decided to just go stand in open and flank whoever I wanted her to hit. Still even if you attack and hit on occassion with bursts she has to kill 3 (or 2 for me as I took the talent) before she gets even that tiny bonus. She has no damage bonuse, unrealiable AoE and no tanking skills. Still useless compared with everyone else. Fucking charge is free attack with no penalty and she gets that terrible run and gun skill.
I thought Run and Gun skill is good, because it essentially means she gets to move and burst things down twice and she was either doing damage or killing enemies with it pretty well (and you can remove the penalties caused by Run and Gun with other abilities). But I just finished Prologue and am playing on Hard, so that could be the reason why (on Unfair enemy gets even more bonuses to dodge and cover, I am playing on Hard).
JIjkcwE.png

This stacks 100x.
What I do with Argenta is demolish some cultists with a Flamethrower + Run and Gun combo or just throw a grenade at them. Once this goes to 4-5 stacks everything just melts. This also lets you use Run and Gun another time too. Great snowball potential.

I'm thinking this would synergize crazy with the Bounty Hunter archetype. Can't imagine that being useless.

Yoomazir

Educated
I know the game is a power fantasy in a power fantasy setting, but having my ragtag team taking down a space marine, Abelard literally face tanking him, at the end of chapter one was kinda, eeeh, a bit too much... Maybe if there was a better build up or some kind of special circumstances (explosions, turrets) but there was none of it.
What's next, my MC one punching a Chaos God?

jf8350143

Liturgist
Also the AI is pretty shit. It's OK for the enemies but friendly NPC will just stay behind you and spam aoe attack. And since there is generally no cover between you and them, they will deal way more damage to you instead of the enemies they are suppose to shoot.

During my mission to recruit that black woman, three of my teammates were killed by friendly NPCs, and i almost lose the fight because of it.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Also the AI is pretty shit. It's OK for the enemies but friendly NPC will just stay behind you and spam aoe attack. And since there is generally not cover between you and them, they will deal way more damage to you instead of the enemies they are suppose to shoot.

During my mission to recruit that black woman, three of my teammates was killed by friendly NPCs, and i almost lose the fight because of it.
proper commissar experience

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I know the game is a power fantasy in a power fantasy setting, but having my ragtag team taking down a space marine, Abelard literally face tanking him, at the end of chapter one was kinda, eeeh, a bit too much... Maybe if there was a better build up or some kind of special circumstances (explosions, turrets) but there was none of it.

I"m lv 29 at moment in chapter 2 for more than 10h. Only fought another ONE CSM.

But yes, I agree with you. CSM should be enemies which you RUN desperate and if kill, with a good plan,

Would be much better if you where running from him at end of chapter 1 and he armles, bleeding and with most of his armor destroyed while you try desperate to reach a spaceship.

s but friendly NPC will just stay behind you and spam aoe attack.

Yep. This fights where you have help tends to end up much harder

-----------------------

Was trying a bit MELTA weapons and OMG. They are so amazing.

As for psyker I'm no longer using they as damaging powers. I'm using a force sword and a plasma pistol, much more damage than any shit for psyker. And my biomancer poison applies even for enemies hit by my plasma weapons, seems able to poison a freaking Turret. How?

Edit : The unsantioned psyker chick don't worth the party slot. She brings too much perils of the warp.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Is there anyway to get a normal version of a weapon? Like a bolt gun or a force field sword?

ArchAngel

Arcane
So we had Bugfinder for two games, what shall we call this one?
Warhammering 40k bugs?
Bughammer 40k ?
Wh 40k: Bug Trader?

Shaja

Educated
About Chapter 1 last boss:

WTH am I suppose to do? The CSM doesnt need an army and a sniper, he alone can kill all my party. I´m lvl 13
Thanks guys for your help.

For everyone struggling:

I just reloaded a save file before the parade, went to the other planets of the system and became from lvl 13 to 15. I think that´s the max lvl for Chapter 1, theres no more side quests for me.

Then in the last boss, I used Bring It Down from my main character and Cassia to Argenta so she can throw every bolter ammo every turn. Lucky the CSM got distracted by Abelard tanking and didnt go to the 2nd plane.
Then just had 2 party memeber remaining to go after the bloody sniper.

Daring difficulty.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This is the third time we're doing this bros, I think people knew what they were getting into.

Seasoned Owlcat knowers watched as the first wave gets clobbered by the Tyranid swarm.

Commissar
Wait Six Months climbs to the top of the trench and motions with his chainsword.

"A patch is on the way! Internet points to the first man to die!"

Your eagerness to run headlong into the bugs will not be forgotten.

:salute::salute::salute:
And I was just going to ask how things are looking on the bug front. See you guys in a year or so, when old bugs will have been fixed (and new ones introduced).

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there anyway to get a normal version of a weapon? Like a bolt gun or a force field sword?

More merchant on iach chapter but there is no conventional shops so to speak

Each shop has limited items, mostly somewhat unique in case of equipment but there is no merchant that sells generic items en masse

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If you don't put dudes in cover lasrifle fire will melt everyone. So that is what I do, seek out cover and basically never move out of it. :(
Welcome to nu-XCom-style cover mechanics. I've been saying I hate them since 2012 for these exact same reasons.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You're one of the most privileged people in the setting but your damn ship doesn't have an armory. Instead you rely on scavenging equipment from dead peasants, or worse, heretics.

Dayyālu

Arcane

Space Marines are eminently killable in TT (being nowadays even low-tier, MEQ units aren't anything special). In FFG's systems they were hard as nails but it's against a fully kitted 6-man team of well equipped, well-trained people. Hell, one could argue that a Magos can on a good day kill a Chaos Space Marine. Silliest complain I've heard, from secondaries probably. In the books they CM die like the scrubs they're supposed to be by the dozens, Chaos Dreadnaughts get destroyed by improvised explosives an' shit.

After Chapter 1, I'm ambivalent. The writing is functional even if sometimes perfunctory (and far less annoying than WoTR, that was a constant spam of wall of text that no one cared about). It still has that wonderful ambience and I honestly wanted for years to have a 40k RPG, there's still some minor things that irks me (Indira seems custom-built to be incredibly annoying and I'll probably kill her at the first chance I have, they never noticed how dreadfully bothersome she is?). I don't exactly understand the Argenta fetishism, she's essentially an incredibly boring Sister stereotype. I understand that this needs to put forth stereotypes for people that aren't familiar with the setting, but it doesn't help that Owlcat writes her as a Paladin with all the cringe dialogue that we know from Wrath.

Mechanically, it's buggy but you .... well, I simply respec and try something else. But I'll be blunt, the entire system is incredibly clumsy: a man can like mechanical depth but being obtuse about it is never a good thing. And by the Gods Rogue Trader is obtuse. Sometimes less is more, and showering the player in chaotic options that are both badly written and badly managed in the UI isn't a winning move: again, thank fuck for respec, it's the only way to keep the system coherent. The guy who wrote the system should still be shot because it's complete degenerate design to write such a system for a RPG, Eclipse Phase was almost more readable and the baseline FFG's system were for sure more readable. Maybe I'll get some flak for this, but was the retarded Veil/Momentum mechanic system even needed beyond Perils of the Warp stuff? Do we need extra abilities and turns in a system that's already full of them? The end bosses get shredded even in higher difficulties by stupid combos that aren't even fun, merely broken.

Parabalus

Arcane
About Chapter 1 last boss:

WTH am I suppose to do? The CSM doesnt need an army and a sniper, he alone can kill all my party. I´m lvl 13
Thanks guys for your help.

For everyone struggling:

I just reloaded a save file before the parade, went to the other planets of the system and became from lvl 13 to 15. I think that´s the max lvl for Chapter 1, theres no more side quests for me.

Then in the last boss, I used Bring It Down from my main character and Cassia to Argenta so she can throw every bolter ammo every turn. Lucky the CSM got distracted by Abelard tanking and didnt go to the 2nd plane.
Then just had 2 party memeber remaining to go after the bloody sniper.

Daring difficulty.
This is really cool with how the (substantial) rewards depend on how fast you ice the guy.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Just had quite a fun moment..

I'm not an expert at 40k at all, I went over the void degradation limit and kept using abilities in the Act 1 cultist fight in the basement. It ended up teleporting in a Bloodletter who one shot my sniper, turning the fight from easy into losable and made me change my strategy.

As an aside, Owlcat's fights are definitely better in TB. There are maybe still too many 'trash' fights even though they've toned it down from their other two games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom