Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

Rhobar121

Scholar
Is Owlcat completely fucked up with random encounters?
In the case of WotR they were barely playable, but here they outdid themselves.
What idiot came up with the idea that your character has to fight a whole army of mobs alone?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

W40K: ROGUE TRADER - The BEST STRATEGY to KILL ALL ENEMIES in 1 TURN/Get OP EARLY - Even on UNFAIR!​

these fucking titles

break the game with officer and stacking dmg how surprising

Not just damage, crit, especially crit. I mean yeah, the strat in general is obvious, but he has a particularly min-maxed version of it, probably the best you could build.

For a setting as vast as 40k this game really lacks in enemy variety. I feel like I've spent half the game fighting gay edgy space elves.

Parabalus

Arcane
What idiot came up with the idea that your character has to fight a whole army of mobs alone?
You get various ways to skip them, including a permanent one.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron

W40K: ROGUE TRADER - The BEST STRATEGY to KILL ALL ENEMIES in 1 TURN/Get OP EARLY - Even on UNFAIR!​

these fucking titles

Not just damage, crit, especially crit. I mean yeah, the strat in general is obvious, but he has a particularly min-maxed version of it, probably the best you could build.

the thing is that when there is no multiclassing and talents are pretty basic to understand (if they would work) its very easy to make busted character in this game after playing for few chapters

overall character building is pretty weak compared to kingmaker/wrath and its pretty disappointing for build autistic people when it comes to variety and theorycrafting

and that fight in the video Cassia + rogue trader can do with lower amount of turns needed

ArchAngel

Arcane
I actually like the spacecombat
its too repetitive and too shitty of a ui to tolerate on unfair

as far as i see it, its about movement and countermovment to enemy ships cause its very constraint and weapon arcs depend on facing
(and here the ui makes it literally unplayable, i cant tell where the arcs are after move, devs were too dumb to implement a ghost visualization...)
(its also buggy cause the ship doesnt rotate right, as far as i can tell, and this is also unplayable if one move/shot decides fights)

its too repetitive, you have a single ship, not enough abilities, all of them are obvious to use
it boils down to the decision: do a turn left or right, to catch the enemy and not get caught yourself - which is a guess if you cant meta the ai

this works against humans, not as an interrupting minigame in an rpg
What are you talking about? You can click once on location and then on each of your weapons and it shows their precise arcs from that location.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm thinking. Is Owlcat releasing broken games on release as an anti-piracy measure, considering it comes DRM-free?

Rieser

Scholar
Are you talking about the ones during warp? Because they've been considerably easier than the "real" encounters so far in my experience. Though I suppose what kind of MC you have makes it way easier/harder- mine's a Warrior/Vanguard psyker and a bit of a one-man army so isn't really bothered by fighting alone.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
where is the heretic quest progression in ch2? also where is the most fun part and the difficulty progression?
janus
kiava
dragon
?

Doesn't matter really, I enjoyed the Kiava mission the most as a heretic you can dominate a Forgiefiend there.

The heinrix quest is broken, so watch out if you plan on fullfilling it, you need to enter a room over a Bridge that can turn, if you can enter after getting some access codes the quest is not completable. So make save beforehand, if you care.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron

these fucking titles

Definitely not, if he is using las or sniper rifles.

I don't understand why it's so hard to grasp, it's true that a heavy bolter does 5-6 damage, or the improved a tad more (there is one that deals random status effects with every bullet) but a few of the skills give flat increases while others give percentage. Any weapon that shoots more is just better in the last combat, that I also won the first round, the character dealed 600+ dmg per shot, it will prolly be 700 or so with a sniper but why would that be better than a salvo of 40?

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Clipboard04.jpg

Say what you will, someone at Owlcat clearly knows their art.

Sunri

Liturgist
Sometimes during combat, enemies just stop acting during their turn and I need to reload, did you guys encounter this bug? I had to set story mod for arena last boss because Deldar boss would just stop moving, so I had to kill him in 1 turn to progress

deama

Prophet
Is it me or is something not quite right with this release vs kingmaker/wrath? I've tried forcing myself playing it for an hour, but it's just not clicking, I can't seem to get into the flow.
I had a similar experience in wrath, but that only lasted like 10 mins.

I can't really think of a concrete reason why, maybe things are just forced upon me too much too quickly?

Is anyone else having issues?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Is it me or is something not quite right with this release vs kingmaker/wrath? I've tried forcing myself playing it for an hour, but it's just not clicking, I can't seem to get into the flow.

I can't really think of a concrete reason why, maybe things are just forced upon me too much too quickly?

Is anyone else having your specific mental issues?
Is this a trick question?
If you do find that person, it might be your soul mate, marry that person even if you need to become gay.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

The pacing is indeed shit. While you can arguably draw parallel to Wrath opening, after you get to the Tavern the game pace correct itself.

RT first chapter is a bunch of events happening at breakneck speed to get you to be the RT asap in real time hour.

The one whole happening in the Ship and fall of the first system could easily be made unto 1.5 chapters instead of 1. Would help decrease the insanely fast levelling to a more enjoyable pace too

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
For a setting as vast as 40k this game really lacks in enemy variety. I feel like I've spent half the game fighting gay edgy space elves.

There are quite few enemies in the game that I did not expect to see actually, from higher forms of demons some only semingly spawning in due to perils of the warp, forgiefiends and defilers to necrons and single encounters in a spacehulk (eg. genestealers), the imperal factions from shit marines to IG to the Mechanicus (and dark mechanicus!) aspects,

The enemy variety is pretty big, other races apart from human and (dark) eldar stuff may be underutilized but it's not because the enemies aren't there.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

these fucking titles

Definitely not, if he is using las or sniper rifles.

I don't understand why it's so hard to grasp, it's true that a heavy bolter does 5-6 damage, or the improved a tad more (there is one that deals random status effects with every bullet) but a few of the skills give flat increases while others give percentage. Any weapon that shoots more is just better in the last combat, that I also won the first round, the character dealed 600+ dmg per shot, it will prolly be 700 or so with a sniper but why would that be better than a salvo of 40?

Because it's absolutely safe because it's all in one turn; the mobs don't even get a chance to react. (Bolter bursts are 2AP, so I don't think you'd be able to take down all the mobs in one turn in the same way, he's using 1AP shots all the way through, hence why he can keep going and going, in the context of all the other talents.)

I mean, traditionally speaking, a system is basically broken if one strat is the absolute best, easiest and safest to use throughout the game, right? So it shows that something has to be done, basically in the area of Officers and the talent that makes them go first (especially if you also have the Grand Strategist talent that makes you go even firster :) ). There has to be some kind of limitation somewhere, but I'm not sure what it could be.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Tell you what I think the real problem is, it's the animation delays and click lag or whatever it is. I don't think the system itself is that bad, with a bit of tweaking and nerfing (esp. to Officer) it'll be fine and fun, but what they really need to sort out is the unbearable little waits. The more you play the more unbearable those littls halts get. It all needs to be much more snappy IMHO. Not to get rid of anims altogether, but as they're tuned at the moment, they're too sluggish.

I think also, as a matter of course, all turn-based games should have multiple speed-up options, like Troubleshooter, so you find one you're comfy with (fast enough to not be annoying but not so fast that it feels ridiculous). It's all very well enjoying the vibe of the animations, etc., when you first start playing a game and as you're learning it, but once you're head's really in the game and you've smelt all the roses there are to smell, you just want to get into the tactical combat at a good pace, so you don't feel your life wasting away :)

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hmmm it seems that anything after chapter3 shouldn't be touched and just wait for bug fixes. I just end up in endless loop of combat in the inquisitor companion quest. The game is unplayable garbage.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Also lol at just ignoring users on gog,still no patch for them hahahaha.

I am amazed how shit their coding is,can't even do simple triggers.

Incendax

Augur

Tell you what I think the real problem is, it's the animation delays and click lag or whatever it is. I don't think the system itself is that bad, with a bit of tweaking and nerfing (esp. to Officer) it'll be fine and fun, but what they really need to sort out is the unbearable little waits. The more you play the more unbearable those littls halts get.
Agreed. I find myself playing subpar on Unfair just because I'm tired of having to hit 5 buttons every turn and wait for animations. I wish there were toggles for things you use every turn.

Harthwain

Magister

I had issues thinking what skills to pick, but I was able to clear that up by "favouriting" useful skills and then just going by the list of favourite skills on each level up. It made the process much easier, because the list was much shorter and each skill had potential use for me.

Other than that, finish the prologue. While I took in the atmosphere of the universe from get-go, I started to truly understand and appreciate the systems somewhere after my first mission (and two restarts, because I decided to change my character's background). And I am aware I still have some things to learn (space combat, for example).

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

these fucking titles

Owlcat audience consists of autistic "make number be big" degenerates, no surprise there

Nah, but doing that in PF is buildfagging

Doing that in RT is literally just "pick this abilities and the feat tied to it and cast it over and over LUL" There is literally no build here, it's literally what Officer is supposed to do. If try to do it hybrid it is straight worse and no use case where it is better

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom