Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"I am once again asking people to stop comparing every turn-based game with guns released after 2012 to XCOM."
Impossible.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Okay, Idira is going to the nearest Inquisitor at the first opportunity.
Remeber, you have Achievement for doing a few times :smug:
6ddd7171.png

Work of the Holy Ordos
You handed over Idira,
Yrliet, and Marazhai
to the Inquisition.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Okay, Idira is going to the nearest Inquisitor at the first opportunity.
Remeber, you have Achievement for doing a few times :smug:
6ddd7171.png

Work of the Holy Ordos
You handed over Idira,
Yrliet, and Marazhai
to the Inquisition.
They really should have added that option in their previous games - there is inquisition in Golarion. Many people would have appreciated it. In fact it should be a mandatory option in every mainstream crpg from now on!

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You were forced into throat a black character in WotR in the beginning, and if your main character wasn't tank
I know you don't like black characters but at least get mechanics right. Camellia or a pet could tank as well, if not better than Selaah.
Not strictly true about Camelia, as she can't Protective Luck herself.

went on reddit to see what people are saying and the top question is "can i romance the sister of battle" thanks larian

Not to defend plebbitors but reality is, she is really the only one that is halfway fuckable. So they aren't totally off-base there if you -had- to choose someone.
erm, ex cuse me , sweety
Y9cp7ep.jpeg
thats a man baby

-and even if it is not 'technically' would be like fucking hulk hulgan with a vagina and saying its a girl...gheeeeyy!

Hellraiser

Arcane
It isn't based on wealth. At least not directly. Potatos pay more than the honorary Aryans do in Japan. More than almost anyone in the world outside EU.

Probably tax related, EU prices include VAT and follow common VAT-related directives regarding online services. Not sure how the equivalent tax works in Japan regarding steam and similar services.

Last edited:

Gandalf

Arbiter
Hello, Owlcat_Eyler. Gandalf here. I've seen that your newest game has x-com inspired combat. This fact got me thinking. Are there any orginal Chaos Gate fans in the team?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Are you people even half serious with those XCOM comments or is it just nu codex not knowing anything else than the popular goyslop they consoom so cannot into making relevant comparisons? Got me more scared than I already was.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It even has cover shields and half shields just like XCOM let's be honest with ourselves here.
But it has skull on full shield. That's different.
Character created, time to game...

Also game is so gorey they added bloodstains option to be turned on twice! Wow... so based!

obraz.png
What happens when you activate Bloodstains instead of bloodstains? Would activate upper bloodstains cause crash when you will not activate bottom bloodstains? Or is it for bloodstain on clothes?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Nu-XCom isn't the only game in existence to feature cover-based TB combat. However, I actively dislike, veering into hate, it because it limits your positioning and it makes it less relevant in the grand scheme of things. It seems to me like game designers who insist on using such mechanics in TB games just don't understand the strengths of a turn-based system and where its intricacies come from.

Lemming42

Arcane
Couple of annoyances now: several battles have spawned enemies far away who don't do shit until the player approaches. Combined with the low movement points for the party, this is irritating. I wish a lot of these games would have tighter, smaller battle arenas. People shat on it but XCOM: Chimera Squad was very good at making battle maps incredibly focused and filled with well-placed cover and flanking routes, I think future nu-XCOM-like games should take some cues from that aspect of its design.

It's pretty bad on this world with the starport where the rebels are in the streets, groups of like twelve fuckers spawning half the world away. They're meant to rush you when you get close but if you have one of those sniper lasguns you can just pick them off from like a trillion miles away while they run back and forth.

Lemming42

Arcane
Another thing: why can't we attack outside of combat? I know that stealth attacks can triviliase these games and it's a valid design choice to simply forbid them, but at the same time it's bullshit that I can literally see an ambush in front of me but can't do anything about it. Shooting the enemies with the sniper does nothing, and having Jamaican Psyker Whose Name I Can't Remember do psychic scream causes the enemy to be visibly hit with blood spewing out of their heads but they're completely unharmed.

Snipe them. Problem solved.
I am!
They're meant to rush you when you get close but if you have one of those sniper lasguns you can just pick them off from like a trillion miles away while they run back and forth.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Another thing: why can't we attack outside of combat? I know that stealth attacks can triviliase these games and it's a valid design choice to simply forbid them, but at the same time it's bullshit that I can literally see an ambush in front of me but can't do anything about it. Shooting the enemies with the sniper does nothing, and having Jamaican Psyker Whose Name I Can't Remember do psychic scream causes the enemy to be visibly hit with blood spewing out of their heads but they're completely unharmed.

Snipe them. Problem solved.
I am!
They're meant to rush you when you get close but if you have one of those sniper lasguns you can just pick them off from like a trillion miles away while they run back and forth.
Haha, let me break no Xcom rule but this sounds like Nu-Xcom1 where you could use squadsight snipers to pick off enemies that were detected by your invisible scout and those enemies also didn't know what to do so they just ran from cover to cover in same small area..

Israfael

Arcane
Don't get how on earth this is "xcom inspired", the onlly thing nu-xcom brought to the world was the retarded pod activation system, railroaded GEOSCAPE.EXE, board-game like two phase turn system, and here we have movement / action AP + willpower, which is simillar to what Gollop made in Phoenix Point, not the 40 IQ brainchild of Jake Solomon

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
you should be able to surprise attack any enemy that has red name
try chain lightning skill instead of scream
so far no problems for me and done it around 5 times

Lemming42

Arcane
The encounter where it wouldn't let me do it is the one where
that "Camille" soldier turns out to be an imposter, and ambushes the party. You can see the ambushers but they take no damage from any attacks. I guess the game considers them non-hostile until combat actually starts or something.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Really, what is going on with the achievements? I just fired up the game and it immediately awarded me one for dodging 500 enemy attacks (I'm just post-prologue). I can't imagine how such a thing could even get messed up?

gongal

Scholar
went on reddit to see what people are saying and the top question is "can i romance the sister of battle" thanks larian

Not really Larian's fault that 99% of crpg audience consists of 40 year old lonely losers that are either about to troon out or become a convicted pdf. Pursuing a virtual woman is all that is left for an average codexer.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Developers can fuck off with the romances at this point. While they were semi-cute when Bioware did them in BG2, even if the romance options were like your aunt or a 16-year-old, it's getting extremely old and cringe now.

Lemming42

Arcane
Yeah I hate romances in games. It always just cheapens the characters since the games tend to unfold in such a short time span that it all feels pathetically rushed. Romance is the kind of thing you'd need to dedicate the entire game to.

Plus devs always seem to make it so that if you don't choose the romance route, people just stop talking to you. Never forget the pain of walking around the ship and being told to fuck off by the whole crew in Mass Effect because you didn't pick the flirt options and now nobody has anything more to say to you.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I don't think just having a grid and a cover mechanic = nuXCOM, that was more to do with the restrictive 2 AP thing that made it play more like a boardgame than a combat simulation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom