Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - now with Void Shadows DLC

babayaga

Educated
I'm not particularly surprised by the results of the poll. Abelard is well-written, even if the lines given to him start to drop significantly after Chapter 2. Cassia was probably someone's waifu as she keeps having stuff to do and to say constantly ( compare and contrast with Argenta's questline, that is essentially two maps cobbled together and a result based on stuff you have no way to know, her becoming a Repentia or getting the Holy Armour in a quest you don't see resolved offscreen is based on hidden stats you can't know). It helps that both Cassia and Argenta are absolute monsters in combat and they could solo everything at release. Also Murder Disney Princess.

Pasqal is written decently and was mechanically broken, not surprised he got attention. Decent sidequest too.

Heinrix has the problem of being Abelard 2.0 with shittier writing. Yrliet has the bonus of being mechanically useful and people want to fuck the redhead elf even if she's written horrifically and has the biggest Woman Moment of all the game. She's a retard but people simply want to fuck the elf. Marazhai has a similar problem to Heinrix, he's essentially mechanically useless for when you get him, kinda weak compared to the powerhouses.... but at least his writing was funny, before I sent him to the dungeons.

Jae and Indira, with the extra of being the token minorities, were truly dreadfully written. We're supposed to find Jae "cool" and Indira "a different point of view" but they're both self-centered annoying heretics, and most people play Lawful Good in RPGs. A foregone conclusion.

What strikes me are the NPCs and Boss Fights. Not surprising most people remember the Chaos Marine because I bet more than 50% dropped the game in Act II and very few managed to struggle amongst the sea of mediocrity until the other bosses, but the NPCs are telling: Xavier is essentially dumped on you endlessly through Chapter IV-V (being the real cobbled together endgame) and Winterscale is the only one with a sort of arc and resolution.
Most people play Chaotic Good and such people picked Jae, Indira and elf chick for sure.
WH40k fans are ones that would not pick them, the dogmatic path is not close to LG, it is pure LE path. Probably closer to NE as people are being executed left and right without any trials or real proof they deserve to die.
Why is there so many people that think that being dogmatic is evil? In the universe of WH40k, being dogmatic is flawed but the best humanity has for the survival of the human species. Being permissive and understanding is not an option, it could lead (and it almost did) to total annihilation.
Doing evil things for a logical reason is still evil. The point of the setting is that "good" isn't an option.
Being dogmatic is doing cruel and bad things for the good of humanity. I think the point of the setting is that the "good" is the callous and heartless option.
Being compassionate and nice will lead everyone to an end that is worse than death. Using the same morality and ethics of modern day people to judge characters living in a grimdark world is retarded imo.

Harthwain

Magister
Most people play Chaotic Good and such people picked Jae, Indira and elf chick for sure.
I picked Yrliet mostly because I was in need of a good damage dealer. Mainly because I screwed up builds for a few companions (Abelard, Yrliet, Argenta and my main were the best fighting characters on my team so they made the core. Everyone else was a filler, so I just couldn't give up Yrliet for anyone else).

Why is there so many people that think that being dogmatic is evil? In the universe of WH40k [...]
Because most people have no idea where the morality of the Mankind in WH40K universe comes from?

notpl

Arbiter
I'm not particularly surprised by the results of the poll. Abelard is well-written, even if the lines given to him start to drop significantly after Chapter 2. Cassia was probably someone's waifu as she keeps having stuff to do and to say constantly ( compare and contrast with Argenta's questline, that is essentially two maps cobbled together and a result based on stuff you have no way to know, her becoming a Repentia or getting the Holy Armour in a quest you don't see resolved offscreen is based on hidden stats you can't know). It helps that both Cassia and Argenta are absolute monsters in combat and they could solo everything at release. Also Murder Disney Princess.

Pasqal is written decently and was mechanically broken, not surprised he got attention. Decent sidequest too.

Heinrix has the problem of being Abelard 2.0 with shittier writing. Yrliet has the bonus of being mechanically useful and people want to fuck the redhead elf even if she's written horrifically and has the biggest Woman Moment of all the game. She's a retard but people simply want to fuck the elf. Marazhai has a similar problem to Heinrix, he's essentially mechanically useless for when you get him, kinda weak compared to the powerhouses.... but at least his writing was funny, before I sent him to the dungeons.

Jae and Indira, with the extra of being the token minorities, were truly dreadfully written. We're supposed to find Jae "cool" and Indira "a different point of view" but they're both self-centered annoying heretics, and most people play Lawful Good in RPGs. A foregone conclusion.

What strikes me are the NPCs and Boss Fights. Not surprising most people remember the Chaos Marine because I bet more than 50% dropped the game in Act II and very few managed to struggle amongst the sea of mediocrity until the other bosses, but the NPCs are telling: Xavier is essentially dumped on you endlessly through Chapter IV-V (being the real cobbled together endgame) and Winterscale is the only one with a sort of arc and resolution.
WH40k fans are ones that would not pick them, the dogmatic path is not close to LG, it is pure LE path. Probably closer to NE as people are being executed left and right without any trials or real proof they deserve to die.
Why is there so many people that think that being dogmatic is evil? In the universe of WH40k, being dogmatic is flawed but the best humanity has for the survival of the human species. Being permissive and understanding is not an option, it could lead (and it almost did) to total annihilation.
Doing evil things for a logical reason is still evil. The point of the setting is that "good" isn't an option.
Being dogmatic is doing cruel and bad things for the good of humanity. I think the point of the setting is that the "good" is the callous and heartless option.
Being compassionate and nice will lead everyone to an end that is worse than death. Using the same morality and ethics of modern day people to judge characters living in a grimdark world is retarded imo.
"Cruel" and "bad" are both essentially synonyms for "evil." Doing evil things is evil - really difficult stuff, I know. Having a reason for doing so doesn't change that fact.

babayaga

Educated

"Cruel" and "bad" are both essentially synonyms for "evil." Doing evil things is evil - really difficult stuff, I know. Having a reason for doing so doesn't change that fact.
And I am saying that using real life morality doesn't compute well with the setting.
Morality changes even in real life as time goes on. At one time, killing someone in a duel was a honorable thing, right now, you are a criminal and a bad "evil" person for doing so.
Even in D&D, chaotic good character is evil by our modern day standards because they take life away from "bad guys". By doing so you are still a killer and evil.
In WH40k the cruel thing is the good thing because it leads to greater good and it goes with the dogma (aka the laws) so in universe being dogmatic is good.
This all is simple logic.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I let all of the companions live, because killing them means you lost content and loot.

After I finish their personal quests and get all the stuff they offer, some of them can go straight to inquisition.

Vyvian

Educated
I'm still early, about to visit some Mechanicus Temple (I think) and I already feel grossly overpowered.
I haven't even looked up cheesy party compositions or skills I've just been using whatever. Battles just take forever instead of challenging me it feels like a slog.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm really on the fnce when it comes to Rogue trader, I mean I liked it even though it has some issues but I have absolutely no desire to replay it and also don't have particularly interest in any DLC.

I think the games systems are not varied enough to make it appealing and I think I have seen what the game itself has to offer.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Game has the wrost implementation of TB combat I have ever seen. What kind of autist makes a rule that prevents you from moving after attack. What a fucktard of a rule.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
GRIMDARK MODE: https://roguetrader.owlcat.games/news/en/43 (fancy name for Ironman)

The Grim Darkness comes to the Koronus Expanse​

…In the darkness between the stars
The weak and the faithless find no deliverance…

Lord Captains!

With the Void Shadows expansion just around the corner, we are proud to announce a major new feature that is coming to Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader for all owners of the base game alongside the expansion:

The Grim Darkness mode.

Fight%2020.png

What is the Grim Darkness Mode?​

Often referred to as “Ironman” in other titles, the Grim Darkness mode is the ultimate trial for the boldest of Lord Captains - a challenge for the most experienced, most prepared (or perhaps, most reckless!) players, who wish to truly immerse themselves in the dark and dangerous universe of Warhammer 40,000.

In this mode, you only have a single save, which is updated automatically every time you exit the game. No second chances - you will have to live with the consequences of all your actions and decisions. If your party or voidship are defeated, your Grim Darkness journey will end.

But if you manage to successfully overcome all the obstacles and make it all the way to the end, your feat of strength will be rewarded with the brand new “There Is Only War…” achievement, which will also unlock a special item for all your future playthroughs:

Amulet of the Indomitable Spirit

Such a trophy can only be worn by one who has fully comprehended an ancient truth — that in the universe there exists only war.

Once per battle, whenever the wearer's wounds drop to 0, they regain 20% of their maximum wounds.

image.png

How to Activate the Grim Darkness Mode​

When you start a new game, you’ll find a new “Grim Darkness” option under the difficulty settings marked by a distinctive skull icon. When turned on, it will prompt you with a warning about its dangers and if accepted, will enable Grim Darkness rules for the new game. All Grim Darkness mode saves will be marked in the Load Game menu with the same skull icon.

Such a trophy can only be worn by one who has fully comprehended an ancient truth — that in the universe there exists only war.

At launch, the Grim Darkness mode is only available for PC and only for single player, but we plan to expand it to the other platforms and co-op mode later.

imag222e.png

Designing the Grim Darkness Mode​

In both our previous games, Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, there was a similar mode called The Last Azlanti. The mode earned a lot of acclaim in our community, providing a trial of gaming skill and wits, while also adding a whole new level of emotional investment due to the high risk and reward. We’ve seen many players discussing builds for this mode, competing between each other in beating the games in exotic ways, and sharing their stories of glorious victory (or no less glorious demise!).

We even went as far as hosting a large challenge event for streamers, known as the Last Azlanti Challenge.

Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader originally shipped without an “Ironman” mode. But players kept asking us about it, and we also felt it was missing compared to our previous titles, so we wanted to revisit it.

It took us some time, but we’re finally there! And this time we’ve brought some innovations to the familiar approach. Among them:

- Unlike in the previous games, the Grim Darkness mode is not affected by difficulty - you may now freely switch it or customize it at any time during your playthrough, the same as in the normal game mode. Some would say that this allows the player to abuse the system - but we believe that the players playing this mode are, first and foremost, looking for an honourable challenge. We felt that we rather let you, the players, decide for yourself how you want it played, and adjust your settings to your preferences;

- The conditions of defeat are no longer attached to the main character falling in battle - you only lose when the whole party or the voidship is defeated;

- You can now convert the Grim Darkness save into a normal save at any time if you no longer wish to continue playing that mode. Note however, that the opposite is not true and, once made, the conversion cannot be reversed. Converting your game into normal mode will make you ineligible for the “There Is Only War…” achievement or its reward;

- The moment you meet your demise, you no longer instantly lose the save as it happened in the previous games - instead, you will be offered a choice to either accept your fate and delete the save, or to continue your playthrough, converting your save into a normal, non-Grim Darkness game as described above. This will allow you to finish the story if the death caught you close to the end of the game, but you will no longer qualify for the achievement or reward.

Fight%201%20(1).png

What’s on the horizon?​

We are preparing a large exciting event related to this feature. Stay tuned for the announcement!

On a more general note, this feature is a good example of how we intend to approach the game in future updates. Besides the DLCs, we plan to gradually improve and expand the base game, not only with bug fixes, but also with alterations based on your feedback (which we are really grateful for, by the way!) and by adding brand new content in major updates.

The Emperor protects!

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
They should fix their fucking game and fix half the abilities being useless filler before making new difficulty modes. Owlcat is a garbage developer.

Shaki

Arbiter
I like ironman campaigns, but I would never play an Owlcat game in ironman, even WotR and Kingmaker are still full of gamebreaking bugs.

GentlemanCthulhu

Liturgist
Rogue Trader is very stable at the moment. It was a lot better than pathfinder on launch and it didn't take too long for them to fix the prominent issues. Not saying there are no issues at all, but certainly nothing game-breaking or even egregiously dysfunctional, unlike WotR / KM.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Rogue Trader is very stable at the moment. It was a lot better than pathfinder on launch and it didn't take too long for them to fix the prominent issues. Not saying there are no issues at all, but certainly nothing game-breaking or even egregiously dysfunctional, unlike WotR / KM.
It was not better than 1st pathfinder at launch but they did get better at fixing their shit faster.

Renfri

Cipher
I played Rogue Trader from start to finish last month, I only encountered minor visual bug which happened fairly early on. It was few dead enemies doing T-pose. That's all.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
few interesting things that probably break the game mainly from bladedancer
W6FrZvE.png

escape artist seemed busted can just proc attack of opportunities from enemies if you get enough dodge and spam death from above for free but if its only agi+ws bonus dmg instead of weapon dmg then maybe can't get it high enough

executioner seems worse archtype why dot/debuff enemies instead of 1shotting everything

a lot of 0 AP skills which are obviously great for action economy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom