Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming September 24th

ArchAngel

Arcane
Man do people also bitch when you play IG and kick some Chaos ass in Dawn of War or something?

This fixation os MUH SPESH MAHREEN NEED TO BE INVINCIBLE is retarded
Dawn of War has nothing to do with real Lore. It is just a RTS that needed to have balanced sides.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I have no problem with hitting lol,me problem is with how weak the bolter rifle is. In the lore it is something very powerful,here it does less damage than some random thug with a shotgun. The game is a mess,also made only for authists.

This is not inaccurate gameplay balance wise. Bolters do not deal more damage in the TT they are just more likely to penetrate, them dealing more damage and having high overpenetration seems like a reasonable interpretation of the rules. Bolters do not cause more wounds in TT.

That you can just outright shoot through people and kill multiple models with a single Bullet is pretty powerful.

What you are refering to is the Fluff and in the Fluff a Chaos Marine is one of the Strongest and powerful beings in the universe, that also does not translate into the TT where they are "a bit" stronger compared to a Imperial Guardsmen but can just as easily die by a flashlight (lasgun) as any other model they just have to be a tad more lucky.

Let the Fluff be fluff, the Chaos Marine was a pretty big badass in Owlcats interpretation, the balance is just way off on certain aspects of the game.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Man do people also bitch when you play IG and kick some Chaos ass in Dawn of War or something?

Dawn of War has nothing to do with real Lore. It is just a RTS that needed to have balanced sides.

As is the damn Tabletopgame, albeit TB. that is based on the Lore.

I have played Chaos marines for decades now, there is the fluff and then there is the game.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

The way he is presented in the game, as the big bad of a planet destroying cult... I would expect something more than eating Argenta's bolter in one turn.

thesecret1

Arcane
The Tanith 1st take down a Chaos Space Marine relatively easily in one of the first books (easily in the sense that the narrative doesn't seem to consider the takedown a massive deal). I haven't read a lot of WH40K but my impression from reading three Gaunts Ghosts novels wasn't exactly that Chaos marines were like unstoppable, unkillable doom monsters. More like walking tanks - definitely killable even by regular soldiers but not without considerable effort and heavy weapons (the Tanith use a rocket launcher).
Gaunts Ghosts are a powertrip fantasy where about a dozen "guardsmen" have impenetrable plot armor and slaughter enemies by the hundreds. One of the worst 40k series, basing anything off of it is a huge mistake.

Besides, even the author backtracked in later books and make a significantly bigger deal out of it, saying Gaunt can only kill them because he has a super special sword or whatever. He later explains that Tanith 1st is a super special regiment that is completely unlike any other (just to explain how come the Imperium hadn't conquered the galaxy yet with guardsmen like those) and that you shouldn't use them as a frame of reference for anything ever.

Shaki

Arbiter
"y i can't pew-pew when martials can?!"
Nope. If you hated bloat in WoTR, in this game,is even more bloated. In daring difficulty, in chapter 4, most peasants that I face have more hp than the act 1 chaos space marine.

As I've said, I will wait till a modder fixes the psyker powers in this game to re play this game.
What's wrong with psyker powers?
One of the issues is that a sanctionned psyker starts with a Psy rating of 0 (compared to 1 for an unsanctionned one); which makes all the scaling much worse.
That said, the 5% chance to trigger eldritch horror on each cast of an unsanctionned psyker is no joke...

It feels like Psyker would have been a more useful origin than commissar for my officer melee build actually. The sanctic line has an ability that scale with momentum powers used, which could potentially turn said psyker into something more useful than my commissar barking order and lagging behind everyone..
If you mean the talent that gives you +1 psy rating every time an ally uses a heroic act, you didn't miss out on anything, since it's broken and doesn't work :positive:

Shaki

Arbiter
not sure if any of you got to the turn 2 of that fight but he did turn around after his initial turn and went to destroy shuttles instead of fighting the player party, that was probably the intention behind this fight - damage per turn check(too bad he dies in one turn, that will likely to change in future patches)
Change difficulty to unfair and see who dies in one turn

Reinhardt

Arcane
Gaunts Ghosts are a powertrip fantasy where about a dozen "guardsmen" have impenetrable plot armor and slaughter enemies by the hundreds.
nah, it properly shows that csm is really scary shit but nothing enough dakka can't bring down. stuff heretic ad mech can do with the help of chaos is much, MUCH worse. but i don't see anyone bitching about party bringing down their creations in the game. BUT MUH SPEHS MAHREEEEENS!!!!
in said ghosts there are much worse things than chaos marines. last book going full horror at times.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I have no problem with hitting lol,me problem is with how weak the bolter rifle is. In the lore it is something very powerful,here it does less damage than some random thug with a shotgun. The game is a mess,also made only for authists.

This is not inaccurate gameplay balance wise. Bolters do not deal more damage in the TT they are just more likely to penetrate, them dealing more damage and having high overpenetration seems like a reasonable interpretation of the rules. Bolters do not cause more wounds in TT.

That you can just outright shoot through people and kill multiple models with a single Bullet is pretty powerful.

What you are refering to is the Fluff and in the Fluff a Chaos Marine is one of the Strongest and powerful beings in the universe, that also does not translate into the TT where they are "a bit" stronger compared to a Imperial Guardsmen but can just as easily die by a flashlight (lasgun) as any other model they just have to be a tad more lucky.

Let the Fluff be fluff, the Chaos Marine was a pretty big badass in Owlcats interpretation, the balance is just way off on certain aspects of the game.
Can't speak for TT, but in the ttrpg bolters do more damage, have more armor penetration, and better crits compared to lasguns or solid projectile weapons (aka "normal guns"). Marines in ttrpg also have 16 damage reduction, and a bolter deals 1d10+9 damage, which means enemy marines sure will shrug off decent amounts of bolter fire.

The TTRPG also iirc made a fairly big difference (at least in the chaos supplement, black crusade) about 'true' csm who are veterans from the horus heresy, and whatever inferior copies the dark mechanicus has managed to conjure up.
The Tanith 1st take down a Chaos Space Marine relatively easily in one of the first books
they later take group of csm with traps and ambushes.
Just listen to hk-47 talk about killing jedi, same idea.
Doesn't quite translate. CSM have literally survived ten+ millenia. You think someone with literal millennia of combat experience will walk into a trap and get shot? Jedi are scrublord pacifists.

Shaja

Educated
My fellow Codex, Chapter 2, I´m stuck:

Gotta land on Kiava Gamma, but you have to start a space combat with many enemy ships. I only have 34/ 148 HP left, but to restore the ship I have to spend like 113 scrpas. I only have 15. Theres a merchant near Footfall selling scrap but gotta increase reputation and I have nothing to exchange for that.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Clipboard01.jpg

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
My fellow Codex, Chapter 2, I´m stuck:

Gotta land on Kiava Gamma, but you have to start a space combat with many enemy ships. I only have 34/ 148 HP left, but to restore the ship I have to spend like 113 scrpas. I only have 15. Theres a merchant near Footfall selling scrap but gotta increase reputation and I have nothing to exchange for that.

At this point the easiest way probably is just to use Toybox mod (you can find link in Discord or just searching Rogue Trader in Github prolly), get ID for Scraps, add the to inventory

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Does the heretic path provide a good evil mastermind experience later on or is it another psychopath path?
It seems like the Heretic path is tied to the Secret Ending, which you join Chaos on the Side of the Lord of Change. It's something about becoming something of a ''God'' for the people that you Rule over. Also Yrliet, Argenta, Heinrix and Ulfar try to Kill/Leave you , also you gain a few ''Secret companions'' , one is confirmed to be a Chaos Space Marine. I didn't want to get spoiled about everything but this is what i gather so far.

Edit:
It seems Uralon, one of the secret companions , is currently bugged

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ah yes the first Kingdom Management softlock the game case
Imagine playing Owlcat games on your console without being able to use the toybox.
I understood that problem and I also understand that patches for Xbox version might be coming later than PC before I bought Xbox version.
I got other games to play in case I need to put RT on pause for a while.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Imagine playing Owlcat games on your console without being able to use the toybox.
I understood that problem and I also understand that patches for Xbox version might be coming later than PC before I bought Xbox version.

I mean if you get softlocked like that guy that save is probably toast unless Owlcat retoractively add scrap for you

Rhobar121

Scholar
Even after a year, you have no guarantee that the game will work properly.
In WotR, several times they managed to broke even 1 act that worked very well at the premiere.

Rhobar121

Scholar
How come this is already the 3rd game and Owlcat still hasn't learned how to implement mechanics wisely.
This is the level of Kingsmaker and Councilor positions, where you could very easily lose the campaign due to the lack of an advisor, because the game gave you only two options, both of which were very easy to lose if you didn't play the way the retarded designer dreamed of.
Of course, you found out about it 10 hours too late, because no normal person expected that the game wouldn't give you any other replacement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom