Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming September 24th

ArchAngel

Arcane
This is a problem with the Grand Strategist. His zones remain after the fight and when you leave the area for some reason, they are not turned off and are still displayed.
If you are talking about the little boxes thing in the middle of that image, I get that too a lot and I have zero Grand Strategists in my party.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
This is a problem with the Grand Strategist. His zones remain after the fight and when you leave the area for some reason, they are not turned off and are still displayed.
If you are talking about the little boxes thing in the middle of that image, I get that too a lot and I have zero Grand Strategists in my party.
Right. I had a fight during warp travel before but I didnt place any fields.

Shaki

Arbiter
View attachment 45043

The fuck is going on

Owlcat_Eyler
If you've been reading my posts re: Wrath and RT, you probably know I'm not exactly fond of how Owlcat does things. Regardless, for the sake of fairness, I suggest you guys need to consider a few things:
- Scope. Kingmaker became exhausting to play by the end. Wrath was even worse. RT also seems to go in that direction. Commorragh alone is just annoying to play for example. I believe it would help a lot if you made things generally shorter or less "epic".
- QA. You REALLY need to take a look here. This is the third release and people were already easily able to predict the exact types of problems the game would have. C'mon. This goes back to the scope issue, of course you can't polish everything when the game is 200 hours long.
- Politics. As far as I can tell you did well this time around, and Kingmaker wasn't too egregious either. Wrath was unquestionably woke and that wasn't just because of the source material. I'm also 100% convinced someone over at your studio fought tooth and nail to insert the usual diversity but didn't get to because the setting (and GW) wouldn't allow it. You don't need any of this shit to be successful, RT proves this, it's a choice on your end. Stop it.
Agreed, if Owlcat literally just made their games 30% shorter and less epic but more polished, they would be sooo much better. How many people even finished Kingmaker/Wotr? I did multiple playthroughs of both, I liked the games very much, but always got burned out around ch4. I suspect RT will be similar. Meanwhile bugs and lack of polish are the main thing that holds them back and keeps them from getting great reviews.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's fine if they try to be Epic and managed to do it well, but so far their last 2 Chapters ALWAYS petters out in content and quality.

Considering your focus these day on hard locked replayability (alignment in KM, Mythic Path in WOTR, 3 alignment here in RT) I honestly would propose for a smaller scale but more reactive game. Even in WOTR where Mythic Path is supposed to be BIG DEAL TM you doesn't really feel the narrative impact until like opening and end of Ch5 + the Ch6/Epilogue. Owlcat_Eyler

Dayyālu

Arcane
I'm just here to say I got the Jeanstealer encounter. Ohh this looks moody and the guy goes on a Cult spiel this is nice

*hundreds of claws are coming out*!

And then three jeanstealers crawl out one at a time and their AI makes them hide every other turn and .... and.... they just melt because their design is piss-poor and....

Why even put it into the game

Why

REhorror

Educated
I'm just here to say I got the Jeanstealer encounter. Ohh this looks moody and the guy goes on a Cult spiel this is nice

And then three jeanstealers crawl out one at a time and their AI makes them hide every other turn and .... and.... they just melt because their design is piss-poor and....

Why
It's a shame because they got the atmosphere right.

There should be at least 10 of them, Owlcat going soft!

ArchAngel

Arcane

Why
Damn man, that sounds nasty. I hope they didn't steal any of your Jeans and left you pantless.. you don't want to see Argenta snicker at your tiny D

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Labeling this game as classical RPG is dishonest and disappointing.
I mean, I wouldn't say anything wrong about the game, if it were advertised as a tactical, lore-deep, turn-based game with RPG elements, or some such. Gods, even this definition feels wrong, though... builds and all..
I understand many people like it as it is. For W40k fans it must be heaven-sent in some regards. Developers did what they wanted, they have their audience, cool man, no problem! I myself would choose a different game and leave everybody at it in peace.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Labeling this game as classical RPG is dishonest and disappointing.
I mean, I wouldn't say anything wrong about the game, if it were advertised as a tactical, lore-deep, turn-based game or some such.
I understand many people like it as it is. For W40 fans it must be heaven-sent in some regards. Developers did what they wanted, they have their audience, cool man, no problem! I myself would choose a different game and leave everybody at it in peace.
It is pure cRPG gameplay, no matter what you think about. It is more cRPG than BG3 if only by letting you have 6 man party instead of pathetic 4

scytheavatar

Scholar
View attachment 45043

The fuck is going on

Owlcat_Eyler
If you've been reading my posts re: Wrath and RT, you probably know I'm not exactly fond of how Owlcat does things. Regardless, for the sake of fairness, I suggest you guys need to consider a few things:
- Scope. Kingmaker became exhausting to play by the end. Wrath was even worse. RT also seems to go in that direction. Commorragh alone is just annoying to play for example. I believe it would help a lot if you made things generally shorter or less "epic".
- QA. You REALLY need to take a look here. This is the third release and people were already easily able to predict the exact types of problems the game would have. C'mon. This goes back to the scope issue, of course you can't polish everything when the game is 200 hours long.
- Politics. As far as I can tell you did well this time around, and Kingmaker wasn't too egregious either. Wrath was unquestionably woke and that wasn't just because of the source material. I'm also 100% convinced someone over at your studio fought tooth and nail to insert the usual diversity but didn't get to because the setting (and GW) wouldn't allow it. You don't need any of this shit to be successful, RT proves this, it's a choice on your end. Stop it.
Agreed, if Owlcat literally just made their games 30% shorter and less epic but more polished, they would be sooo much better. How many people even finished Kingmaker/Wotr? I did multiple playthroughs of both, I liked the games very much, but always got burned out around ch4. I suspect RT will be similar. Meanwhile bugs and lack of polish are the main thing that holds them back and keeps them from getting great reviews.

Honestly, if you enjoyed Kingmaker and WOTR until chapter 4 then you already got more than your money's worth and I am not sure why you are complaining. There's very few CRPGs which are amazing from the beginning till the end anyway, and shorter CRPGs like the POE and DOS games give less percentage of quality before they start to suck.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
talents, class balance and combat encounters would need huge balancing to make this "classical" combatfag game

as long as just having 1 or 2 officers without any special build or a single navigator trivializes everything act2+ combat is very pointless and requires player to make 10+ self restrictions to have any challenge is awful design

I still think its a decent game and I got my moneys worth but the potential is a lot higher than what it is now

Rhobar121

Scholar
Nice patch. Some abilities that require aiming dont work 50% of the time when you are behind cover.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think the basic design of the d100 combat system is sound (even with the 40 levels and incremental changes and all that), and would be more fun as tactical combat than it is right now, it just needs a lot more refinement, tweaking and polish, and a bit of restraint and containment. (And maybe yes, some of the levelups that are wasted on incremental changes could be spent on more interesting abilities, like crouching/prone, things to do with cover, more clever tricks to do with melee, etc. - basically more simulation.)

Also in terms of the story, reactivity and C&C, the game feels more unfinished and undercooked than either PFK or WOTR were on release - they were at least mostly finished, they were just buggy; this feels both unfinished and buggy.

I think also, realistically, the game doesn't really feel like an adventure/empire-building game, which is what I thought it would be - that side of it is relatively small. I would prefer a lot more star systems, a lot more weird handcrafted random encounters (which are some of the best parts of the game), more space battles (with progression to bigger ships) and a lot more of a sense of building something empire-like. Then in that case, without having to stretch out the story too much into a typical Owlcat slog, you'd have all that extra content to just noodle around with, and fill out the 40 levels in a more relaxed, less pell-mell way. It would give the game a more long-lasting kind of appeal. The elements are there, there's just not enough of them, and/or they're not integrated or fleshed-out well enough.

There's just something wonky about the way they make their games. They are good designers, have good ideas and the art design/graphics/audio implementation is great. I suspect there must be some structural and/or business reason why they keep full-releasing buggy messes.

Rhobar121

Scholar
There's just something wonky about the way they make their games. They are shit designers, have many stupid ideas and the art design/graphics/audio implementation is great. I suspect there must be some structural and/or business reason why they keep full-releasing buggy messes.
I fixed it for you.

std::namespace

I know this is from reddit but still funny:
i dont get it

skelly worshipping cuck has a small staff, like all of them
CHrReju.png

std::namespace

now this is a Staff
9YPjcvG.png

btw, who are we shooting with the ghost lzr?
also, i have:
warp sarcophagus
warp mirror
2! forgefiends on board
when are the consequences happening?

notpl

Arbiter
I think the basic design of the d100 combat system is sound (even with the 40 levels and incremental changes and all that), and would be more fun as tactical combat than it is right now, it just needs a lot more refinement, tweaking and polish, and a bit of restraint and containment. (And maybe yes, some of the levelups that are wasted on incremental changes could be spent on more interesting abilities, like crouching/prone, things to do with cover, more clever tricks to do with melee, etc. - basically more simulation.)

Also in terms of the story, reactivity and C&C, the game feels more unfinished and undercooked than either PFK or WOTR were on release - they were at least mostly finished, they were just buggy; this feels both unfinished and buggy.

I think also, realistically, the game doesn't really feel like an adventure/empire-building game, which is what I thought it would be - that side of it is relatively small. I would prefer a lot more star systems, a lot more weird handcrafted random encounters (which are some of the best parts of the game), more space battles (with progression to bigger ships) and a lot more of a sense of building something empire-like. Then in that case, without having to stretch out the story too much into a typical Owlcat slog, you'd have all that extra content to just noodle around with, and fill out the 40 levels in a more relaxed, less pell-mell way. It would give the game a more long-lasting kind of appeal. The elements are there, there's just not enough of them, and/or they're not integrated or fleshed-out well enough.

There's just something wonky about the way they make their games. They are good designers, have good ideas and the art design/graphics/audio implementation is great. I suspect there must be some structural and/or business reason why they keep full-releasing buggy messes.
Bolded the important part here. I have never seen a developer go back and complete a game that was obviously unfinished on release - and sadly I don't expect this to be the first - but Rogue Trader needs it more than any other RPG I've ever played, and certainly more than their prior two games. Even Bloodlines, the game that simply could not be completed in its release state for the majority of players, at least had a logically coherent through-line and several satisfying endings. It feels like they designed the first three chapters of this game and then someone walked into the room a month ago and said "That's it, we're releasing in December, wrap it up." out of nowhere when the rest of the team were planning on releasing at least a year later.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It'll probably be Owlcat's best game once the bugs and horrible combat balance is ironed out.

This is basically unmarked Early Access/Beta.

Not great for Owlcat's (already cemented) reputation, but gamers have short memories.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
siege of dragonspear (solid 7/10, going to be 8~/10 with fixes)
I've played SoD 2nd time few months back and RT even in current state is more fun to play.

I dont remember anything from that game except that it had a tranny + few good encounters
it was just a shitpost since bg rating was required

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom