Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Was planning on booting up the game again so decided to try and work out what had been changed in the last couple of months and found out that Rogue Trader subreddit has become shockingly bad. I know people (including me) have been saying this since the start but it's gotten even worse, of the top 10 posts for the month 7 are weird fetish/romance posts about Yrliet with what could be charitably considered bottom tier deviantart levels of artistic merit.

Why is the fanbase for this game so different to that in the /r/pathfinder_kingmaker sub? Is it because the tall lady fetishposting has scared off normal people or is there something fundamentally different about this game that's attracting the worst shitposters? Some people got hung up on the romance options on the pathfinder sub but the majority of posts were (and still are) still discussions about builds and the story and memes, not whatever the fuck this is.

NotSweeper

Educated
So, you've got waifufaggotry in CRPGs right? (largely thanks to BioWare) Which is cancer. But you've also got xenosexfaggotry among the WH40k autists, which is also cancer. So when you combine the two you end up with a cross section of the cancer, which is like cancer squared. Also I think Owlcatfags got a bit weirder with the release of WotR.

thesecret1

Arcane
Was planning on booting up the game again so decided to try and work out what had been changed in the last couple of months and found out that Rogue Trader subreddit has become shockingly bad. I know people (including me) have been saying this since the start but it's gotten even worse, of the top 10 posts for the month 7 are weird fetish/romance posts about Yrliet with what could be charitably considered bottom tier deviantart levels of artistic merit.

Why is the fanbase for this game so different to that in the /r/pathfinder_kingmaker sub? Is it because the tall lady fetishposting has scared off normal people or is there something fundamentally different about this game that's attracting the worst shitposters? Some people got hung up on the romance options on the pathfinder sub but the majority of posts were (and still are) still discussions about builds and the story and memes, not whatever the fuck this is.
What point is there in posting builds if the game is trivially easy?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Lord Captain! It is important to be able to navigate your ship through the void and warp, but it is also critical to understand how to engage in warfare between the stars, halting enemies seeking to plunder your trade empire.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is 30% off on Steam right now and possibly lower on some competing storefronts, e.g. Greenmangaming has a pretty aggressive discount.

Might hit your price point if you've been waiting to take a punt.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2186680/view/4177726963570447608
Patch 1.1.58 is live!

Lord Captains, patch 1.1.58 is live! This patch includes a convenient new QoL feature to automatically re-equip items in Act III upon receiving them back, and brings a number of other fixes and optimizations.

As usual, the same update will be available on consoles within ~24 hours.

Check https://steamcommunity.com/app/2186680/discussions/0/4027970580228219058/ for up-to-date information on known issues and upcoming patches.

Please be aware of plot spoilers in the description below!

System and stability

• Fixed a crash to the main menu when trying to enter the Mutants Lair;
  • Fixed a game freeze (and a potential crash) when using the Syphon Life ability through the hologram, when the hologram was located behind cover;
  • Fixed a problem that could cause save file corruption when the player exited the game immediately after saving;
  • Fixed FPS drops when attacking Khymerae, especially with burst attacks;
  • Fixed freezing near the shuttle at Footfall;
  • Tactical Respite Master Tactician talent froze the game when the Master Tactician reloaded the weapon near another Master Tactician with the same talent - fixed;
  • Units can no longer enter an already occupied tile while dodging from the piercing flight of

and other types of damaging movement. This used to cause odd visual issues and severe performance degradation;

Narrative

• An event in the Forgotten System wasn't completing as intended - fixed;
  • Fixed a broken answer in a dialogue about

that caused the dialogue to break;
  • Fixed a bug causing Heinrix who was supposed to leave, to stay in the party after

;
  • Fixed a bug in the dialogue with the

;
  • Fixed a bug where if Heinrix left the party, he would not appear on the coronation and the dialogue related to him would break;
  • Fixed a bug where the player could get stuck in the Captain's quarters after an event with Jae. Players who have encountered this bug, will need to roll back to a previous save made before the event for it to trigger properly;
  • Fixed a rare combination of factors where a dialogue lock could occur in Jae's romance event;
  • Fixed an inconsistency where the encounter with

;
  • Fixed an issue where

would not be correctly recognized by the game, causing the quest to lock;
  • In Jae's quest in the

, it was possible to ask for help, addressing companions that were not in the party, which caused the dialogue to break - fixed;
  • The game now correctly tracks who was

during the Blood Ties quest;
  • Tools of Righteousness quest is now correctly received for completing the Giants project;
  • Yrliet will no longer suddenly appear on the bridge for players who have never recruited her. No more suspicious xenos in your vicinity, Lord Captain;

Mechanics

• Daemonopathy ability was knocking the target prone by killing them (pretty brutal!). We've made it less devastating and now the target just falls prone as intended;
  • During the siege on

it is no longer possible to get stuck due to being unable to move over the ladder;
  • Fixed a bug in the encounter with

;
  • Fixed a bug, causing retraining to sometimes make your companions lose the bonuses from their archetypes;
  • Fixed the case where the

;
  • Imperial Bolter was not providing bonuses against forces of Chaos correctly (what heresy!) - fixed;
  • Mechanics: Names of the talents that were increasing Psy Rating were changed to avoid confusion with Psy Rating stat in character screen and prerequisites of psyker's abilities;
  • Orchestrate Flames Pyromancy psychic power wasn't always applying additional damage to melee attacks - fixed;
  • Several talents and items giving re-rolls of failed tests were having a lower chance of success then intended - fixed;
  • Tactical Respite Tactician talent no longer reloads weapons that have no ammo or the ones that are already at max ammo;

Items

• Duelist Uniform used to incorrectly interact with the character's BS, causing a plethora of issues with levelling up the stats - fixed;
  • Inferno Pyromancy staff psychic power applied burning that dealt no damage - fixed;

Locations

• Fixed a bug in

, resulting in a locked progression;
  • Fixed some cases of characters getting stuck when switching from zone to zone;
  • Fixed the placement of a loot container at the Quarry World so that it is now reachable;

Visual

User Interface

• Added a new QoL feature: Upon receiving your items back

, the items will be automatically equipped into the same slots as they were before, if it is possible. Companions who rejoin the party after this event, will also have their items automatically equipped if possible;
  • Fixed a problem with the controller UI, where in some cases a button pressed while a pop-up window was open, would affect the main interface on the background instead of that window;
  • Some PC-exclusive options appeared in the game settings on console. Fixed - incorrect options were removed;

Sound and Music

• Fixed some excessive sounds on the Heretical version of the voidship bridge;

Space

• Colony Complacency no longer affects the profit factor loss from projects;
  • Fixed a bug that allowed to plunder the Forgotten Twins outpost an unlimited number of times;
  • Fixed a bug with the upgraded version of the Vulnerability Scan ship ability, where it could pick the wrong side for vulnerabilities;
  • Fixed a bug with the voidship ability Warp Wave, where it would do nothing to enemies facing directly away from the ship;
  • Fixed a case with some rumours not completing;
  • Fixed an elusive bug which sometimes caused it to be impossible to assign any voidship officer posts except for the Supreme Commander;
  • Fixed errors in Profit Factor calculation for resource shortage;
  • Updated some values and fixed bugs in calculations for colony resources across the game;

Miscellaneous

• Added a few more latecomers to the credits and Shrine of Remembrance;

Supermedo

Augur
This is the first Owlcat game I'm holding off on playing due to the season pass. They tend to release games with tons of bugs, but this is the first time the season pass includes two major story expansions. I'll wait until December to pick up the Voidfarer Edition, which will likely be less expensive and have fewer bugs by then.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Crazy how quickly people forgot about this game

Sitting on 76% score on Steam, kinda shameful tbh

Jinn

Arcane
More people would probably be talking about it if half of us weren't holding off to play it until it's been out for a year. Perfect example of how Owlcat's perfectly justifiably attained reputation of shitting out unfinished, unbalanced, and overall unsatisfying works is coming back to bite them in the ass, despite working with such an insanely popular IP. One of these days it'll be their undoing.

I considered getting the game since I could for 50% off right now, but persistent complaints about the lack of difficulty after chapter one caused me to hold off once again.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
More people would probably be talking about it if half of us weren't holding off to play it until it's been out for a year. Perfect example of how Owlcat's perfectly justifiably attained reputation of shitting out unfinished, unbalanced, and overall unsatisfying works is coming back to bite them in the ass, despite working with such an insanely popular IP. One of these days it'll be their undoing.

I considered getting the game since I could for 50% off right now, but persistent complaints about the lack of difficulty after chapter one caused me to hold off once again.

I hear this. I decided to pick it up since it finally hit a price point I could tolerate for any jank, but haven't fired it up yet. It is, however, the first game of theirs that I didn't pick up the ultra bells and whistles edition / Kickstarter tier and held off for discount + wait and see re: DLC packs, etc.

Jinn

Arcane
I hear this. I decided to pick it up since it finally hit a price point I could tolerate for any jank, but haven't fired it up yet. It is, however, the first game of theirs that I didn't pick up the ultra bells and whistles edition / Kickstarter tier and held off for discount + wait and see re: DLC packs, etc.
It's too bad because I'm really in the mood to start a new CRPG. Sounds like the DLCs are both post-main campaign adventures too, so I don't even have waiting for them as an excuse. I can deal with some jank and minor bugs, but I can't deal with having to intentionally gimp yourself on the hardest difficulty setting in order to have to use your brain in combat. I wish someone would swoop into the thread and tell me how wrong I am, but I don't think it's going to happen at this point.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Well, I did buy the game at full price, but after dicking around in the character creator and briefly playing the prologue, I'm hesitant to devote more time to it.
Atmosphere might be great, but everything I've read so far about the combat mechanics, balancing and abilities really troubles me.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I finished Act 3 on current patch this weekend on my 2nd run and game is now easier than before and I am not even using Argenta(or anyone with burst weapons) or Cassia or Killing Edge or multiple officers.
The main culprit are Heroic Actions, Warrior and Officer ones to be more precise (Soldier and Arch Militant one as well but a bit less).
Now that I think back, they have always been the main culprit.
I think for any real challenge people need to either not use them at all or limit themselves to one per combat.
Maybe only use Desperate actions instead.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Bugged I can cope with. Unfinished? I've kinda came to expect this in crpgs.
But bad mechanics and/or character development? Needing to self-nerf to incur a challenge? Those are cardinal sins in my book.

Aarwolf

Learned
Sounds like the DLCs are both post-main campaign adventures too, so I don't even have waiting for them as an excuse

Both are like The Last Sarkorian - new companion + storyline lasting through a whole game.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The main culprit are Heroic Actions, Warrior and Officer ones to be more precise (Soldier and Arch Militant one as well but a bit less).
Now that I think back, they have always been the main culprit.
I think for any real challenge people need to either not use them at all or limit themselves to one per combat.
Maybe only use Desperate actions instead.

In a way yeah, they are Snowball mechanics that pretty much prevent the enemies from getting back their advantage as at a certain point you wholeshale slaughter them through Heroic Action. That being said even without it, the game easily broke because just how OP certain stuffs are, including Officer extra turns. But without Heroic action it would allow certain enemies to do their job instead of you murdering 6 enemies in a turn and wiping the board clean

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom