Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

Rhobar121

Scholar
As I see, the UI cannot cope with such power xd.
S6pvtNb.png

ArchAngel

Arcane
Depens on how you play. Trick with Argenta is to bring them down before they do you.
no it doesnt depend, thats the whole point... she doesnt survive the first turn of a melee ambush, but he does
thats the solo ironman thinking of powah
now he might have trouble elsewhere where i didnt check but this fight would be a hard filter

This is probably the only game I know where your companions are better than what your character can achieve.
thats every owlscat game though, unique snowflakes
If the fight is very tough Argenta just needs to survive until her turn which is easiest as she has best Agility in the group and then her dodge stuff turns on, also I kept some of the dodge drugs that would instantly make her untouchable.
In ambush situations or when enemy goes first they always target my 2/3 tanks and destroy them with burst fire before they get a turn. Just did Footfall fight in Act 4 and they downed Ulfar, Pasqua and almost Heinrix before they got their turn.. enemy also knows who is easier to hit and effective armor values that are not close to 90% and obviously deflection means little in these fights. Either dodge attacks or die is my experience on Hard. And Heinrix is the Vanguard, usually it does not help him before he gets a chance to buff himself.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
This is probably the only game I know where your companions are better than what your character can achieve.
Not really, there is an insane amount of RT specific permanent buffs and some really strong items you get during the playthrough, + you can optimize your origin, world and class in a way that companions can't. You can easily outperform any companion at their job, if you build specifically for it from the beginning, with only exception being Cassia. Companions only look better than you on your first playthrough, because without meta knowledge it's nearly impossible to made optimal choices in character creation.
The origins, apart from Sanctioned Psyker, are not very strong. Also, bonuses from origin planets are not particularly important, and they certainly cannot compare to the additional psyker's school.
Psyker origin is an ultimate winner as I can see

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
^ not using prey tracker accessory? its bugged and gives prey to every enemy
I am not using it.. unless it works from inventory which would not be out of Owlcat buggy reach like how Jae kept using some officer abilities while not being part of the team :D
Atm I am looking at Cassia that has 311% dodge while getting 3x Focus bonus while only using Reveal the Light once on her and also she got an extra full turn after she used Bring it Down! on Argenta, then argenta used her Heroic which activated Cassia's In the Hero's Footsteps and after that turn ended she got another full turn by magic.. and in the extra turn Eager for Battle activated again and gave her +2 AP again..

Cassia , officers and Bounty Hunters are most buggy stuff in the game. And Wildfire. And 100 abilities/spells that say Cooldown: 1 round and then you can use them in same round as soon as you get any extra turns..
Owlcat_Eyler tell your collegues vodka and writing code don't work well together

EDIT: Expeditionary Footware boots are to blame for 311% dodge, those boots critically need to be nerfed to 5% bonus per cast or limited to 3 stacks..
Huh+M

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Why Owlcat_Eyler Strength's Stat so useless ? It serves almost no purpose. Its a dump stat for Warrior outside of Vanguard and a few equipments, i'm invested to many points to it , olwcat, you will pay for this:argh:

Shaki

Arbiter
Why Owlcat_Eyler Strength's Stat so useless ? It serves almost no purpose. Its a dump stat for Warrior outside of Vanguard and a few equipments, i'm invested to many points to it , olwcat, you will pay for this:argh:
True lol, it's like they really hated the attribute, even few skills that use it are complete dogshit. Like compare:

Reckless strike giving (2 x STR bonus) - at 100 str it's 20 additional damage, at the cost of giving enemy a free counterattack on you if not killed by this ability... literally worthless

Meanwhile similar skills for other attirbutes?

Concentrated fire gives +(50 + 10 x BS bonus)% dmg - at 100BS it's fucking 200% DMG bonus, with 0 downside.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Reckless strike giving (2 x STR bonus) - at 100 str it's 20 additional damage, at the cost of giving enemy a free counterattack on you if not killed by this ability... literally worthless
my priest killed csm in starport with it. dumb nigger tried to run to shuttle and smash it and provoced aoo.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Uh.

The more I play the more I am fascinated by the design. I've finished Chapter 3 and I can finally dispose of Yrliet and the Dark Eldar (pity, I liked the dubbing and the personality of Marazhai but he's a walking liability). The fun fact that Yrliet bugged and she shot the Rogue Trader before dropping dead, probably an execution bug.

The point is the Chapter 3 boss fight.

- Deployment is broken. I saved at the beginning of the deployment phase (I did not want to repeat the dialogue too many times if I failed the boss fight). I reload because the enemy Archon single shots with a burst of roughly 40-50 damage for each tick my Officer and Pasqal. I fail to see how I can counter this as they were both behind cover and behind Ulfar, and she acts first. Oh well, it happens. I reload and now I can deploy further behind for ??? reasons. I do so.

- The combat breaks. The Archon starts running around doing nothing while the Incubi and the reinforcements rush down the stairs to be cut down leisurely. I am endlessly amused by the fact that the Incubi have a infinite range party wide ability that inflicts Bleeding on everyone. They all have it. Awesome design, it's a nuisance but it's again "suck it up".

- I need to purposefully gimp myself to let Marazhai get the killing blow because Argenta can destroy the boss in a single burst on turn 3. The boss that has free turns for ??? reasons (probably because Owlcat can't be arsed to build a boss fight by respecting the rules they created and so in the best tradition of shitty DMs they simply break the basics to get more challenge on. I should not complain however considering the extra turn fiestas that are the player's turns).

I wonder though how this is supposed to be fought if someone didn't.... well, use the fact that the game is broken. How do you deal with a Archon with 1k HP that one-shots anyone bar your tanks, regenerates life with damage, has free turns when reaches specific % HP thresholds and in the meantime deal with the Incubi Bleeding Fun Squad? I mean, there's a way to play this conventionally without abusing the broken stuff you have (Argenta, Cassia, etc)

EDIT: The more I think about it the more it hits me: the underlying design is .... very amateurish from a combat encounter perspective. With bad GMs and bad players RPGs degenerate into "who kills first" shenanigans, as all the lack of balance and design causes massive snowballs of damage, and the point is to apply your broken combo before the other does. I'd seriously love to read the design documents for Rogue Trader, and how this managed to pass through Alpha and Beta without anyone noticing. I can only wonder what wonders are in Chapter 4/5.

Yoomazir

Educated
Did you guys notice that some of the ending sliders contradict themselves and don't even match the choices you made ingame?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Uh.

The more I play the more I am fascinated by the design. I've finished Chapter 3 and I can finally dispose of Yrliet and the Dark Eldar (pity, I liked the dubbing and the personality of Marazhai but he's a walking liability). The fun fact that Yrliet bugged and she shot the Rogue Trader before dropping dead, probably an execution bug.

The point is the Chapter 3 boss fight.

- Deployment is broken. I saved at the beginning of the deployment phase (I did not want to repeat the dialogue too many times if I failed the boss fight). I reload because the enemy Archon single shots with a burst of roughly 40-50 damage for each tick my Officer and Pasqal. I fail to see how I can counter this as they were both behind cover and behind Ulfar, and she acts first. Oh well, it happens. I reload and now I can deploy further behind for ??? reasons. I do so.

- The combat breaks. The Archon starts running around doing nothing while the Incubi and the reinforcements rush down the stairs to be cut down leisurely. I am endlessly amused by the fact that the Incubi have a infinite range party wide ability that inflicts Bleeding on everyone. They all have it. Awesome design, it's a nuisance but it's again "suck it up".

- I need to purposefully gimp myself to let Marazhai get the killing blow because Argenta can destroy the boss in a single burst on turn 3. The boss that has free turns for ??? reasons (probably because Owlcat can't be arsed to build a boss fight by respecting the rules they created and so in the best tradition of shitty DMs they simply break the basics to get more challenge on. I should not complain however considering the extra turn fiestas that are the player's turns).

I wonder though how this is supposed to be fought if someone didn't.... well, use the fact that the game is broken. How do you deal with a Archon with 1k HP that one-shots anyone bar your tanks, regenerates life with damage, has free turns when reaches specific % HP thresholds and in the meantime deal with the Incubi Bleeding Fun Squad? I mean, there's a way to play this conventionally without abusing the broken stuff you have (Argenta, Cassia, etc)

EDIT: The more I think about it the more it hits me: the underlying design is .... very amateurish from a combat encounter perspective. With bad GMs and bad players RPGs degenerate into "who kills first" shenanigans, as all the lack of balance and design causes massive snowballs of damage, and the point is to apply your broken combo before the other does. I'd seriously love to read the design documents for Rogue Trader, and how this managed to pass through Alpha and Beta without anyone noticing. I can only wonder what wonders are in Chapter 4/5.
I had to restart it once on Hard, I've played it as designers expected. I left Ulfar on front to get targeted by the boss, he gets back up on turn 3.
Others were positioned into heavy cover a bit back and survived first turn. Then I dropped standard group of debuffs on the boss and proceeded to kill everyone else first (Cassia casts Waking Nightmare, Heinrix Enfeeble and Pasqal Machine Spirit Banishment). At some point they managed to drop Cassia in turn 2 or 3 but she fired her round of buffs by then. Then I debuffed boss with Expose Weakness and finished him with Argenta and Ulfar burst fire attacks in turn 3 or 4.
My team for that fight was main sniper operator/BH, Pasqal BH, Cassia Master Tactician, Ulfar, Argenta Archmilitant, Heinrix Vanguard.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I found the area with collection of xeno artifacts and lots of traps by following rumours in Act 4. Then I
got ambushed by Necrons and got demolished before I got my turn, only Argenta survived due to going first and moving away and even killed two before I decided to load a previous save :D
Any tips about this fight?

Edit: I just found a golden frog idol in this area LOL. Owlcat_Eyler can you tell us your team obsession with these golden frogs in all your games? I never found a use for them. I hoped they were like the pantaloons from BG series but nope.

ChildInTime

Savant
Did you guys notice that some of the ending sliders contradict themselves and don't even match the choices you made ingame?
Mine were mostly alright, but I think some of them just didn't play at all, half didn't have any background images, and another half were all wrong (like Vistenza here, why does her epilogue has C'tan in the background? In fact a ton of them had that same C'tan image) - Argenta somehow survived being killed, and the space wolf guy and the inquisitor didn't even get a mention, even though they both have the 'death ending' in the .json file. It's a mess.

ItM20pM.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I just bought this shit for like 30 jewro on the Epic store. And that's the Voidfarer edition with the season pass, that shit is almost 100 jewro on Steam. How the fuck?

Also is the game playable bug-wise or is it better to wait? Read something about busted 3rd act or some such.

ChildInTime

Savant
only Argenta survived due to going first
Why don't you have officers and grand strategists that always go first in combat? You just get a few and then give your other team members free turns, they kill shit, those free turns buff up Cassia into a stratosphere, she casts her OP Points of Curiosity that don't count towards actual attack limits, more things die, everything else gets eaten by your MC with 1500+ damage aoes. As people already said - the only thing that matters is who gets to do their broken combos first.

is the game playable bug-wise
By the end of act 3 it becomes worse and worse, you can finish the game... sorta, but half the abilities don't work, the quests and items are broken, game can forget that you killed some characters only seconds ago, etc. It's their worst release bug-wise, even Wrath wasn't that bad.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I just bought this shit for like 30 jewro on the Epic store. And that's the Voidfarer edition with the season pass, that shit is almost 100 jewro on Steam. How the fuck?

Also is the game playable bug-wise or is it better to wait? Read something about busted 3rd act or some such.

How? Its 99€ on my launcher

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

It really depends on how much you like the game/setting and how much you're willing to put up with/report/work around bugs. If you can't stand bugs and feel insulted being a paying beta tester, play just the first two acts, which are mostly solid, then put it on the shelf for a few months. The only downside even in those fairly solid acts is that there are still talents and abilities that don't do what they say on the tin - but that seems to be being fixed with patches over time.

If you find you're loving it and you're more adventurous, then the 3rd act isn't disastrous, but the bugs start appearing there if you go too much off what is evidently a small range of beaten paths through it. 4th act is still too rickety to really trust, I think. though it has been gradually improving with the bugfixes. Still haven't gotten to the 5th act myself.

Also, from my canvassing of the interwebs about this, people generally seem to report that Iconoclast is the "safest" route through the game all-round, followed by heretic, with dogmatic being the most buggy.

There's material there for any whacky playthrough, but they haven't yet joined up all the dots so that any whimsical decision-path through the game is viable and responsive. But one can expect that to be fixed eventually, since both PFK and WOTR were quite responsive to non-standard whimsical paths through the games.

ArchAngel

Arcane
only Argenta survived due to going first
Why don't you have officers and grand strategists that always go first in combat? You just get a few and then give your other team members free turns, they kill shit, those free turns buff up Cassia into a stratosphere, she casts her OP Points of Curiosity that don't count towards actual attack limits, more things die, everything else gets eaten by your MC with 1500+ damage aoes. As people already said - the only thing that matters is who gets to do their broken combos first.

is the game playable bug-wise
By the end of act 3 it becomes worse and worse, you can finish the game... sorta, but half the abilities don't work, the quests and items are broken, game can forget that you killed some characters only seconds ago, etc. It's their worst release bug-wise, even Wrath wasn't that bad.
I didn't like idea of placing shit down each combat, MT abilities are more passive. Also always going first and then abusing all this officer shit sounded like unfun cancer.

Anyways I figured out this fight, found weapon in other part of that map placed to help you beat these guys and gave it to Argenta. Also used now tried tactic of sending Ulfar alone to take all damage since he cannot die

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

How? Its 99€ on my launcher
Not sure. Maybe some weird regional pricing? But Czechia usually gets charged the same bundle as the West, plus other new AAA games like Avatar have the full 59/69 jewro price tag.

wired-wired-wired.gif

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
Edit: I just found a golden frog idol in this area LOL. Owlcat_Eyler can you tell us your team obsession with these golden frogs in all your games? I never found a use for them. I hoped they were like the pantaloons from BG series but nope.
Kind of an easter egg from Kingmaker :smug:

I'm not sure but I don't think that it can be used in any way

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
Why is it useless if it's useful for Warriors? And it allows you to equip heavy armor and weapons, doesn't it?

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
when devs say shit like this its no wonder balance is so awful in this game :hmmm:

Zariusz

Arbiter
And finished. Im quite sure that story lost any resemblence of a bite past act 3. The most fun part for me was exploring Expanse and finding new places and quest, so basically Act 2. I kinda wish there was some Sunless Sea like aspects to trade and exploration. Besides that, companions were another good part, you know who, Abelard, Pasqal, Argenta, to lesser degree Cassia and Heinrix, really who cares about rest. Space combat was fun but its really limited by lack of option and being restricted to one small frigate.

Ehh after everything i finally got my power armor but i forgot to get its proficiency talent on any of my characters and next level up that allowed me to add that talent, happened after i defeated Ctan shard... XD

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Why is it useless if it's useful for Warriors? And it allows you to equip heavy armor and weapons, doesn't it?

Strength is borderline useful for Soldiers to use Heavy Weapons, but there are talents for that (some even work!). Armour can be mostly disregarded, most of the tanking comes from weird ability combos so you don't exactly need much. And if you're tanking at all you're playing the game wrong, nothing survives for long and it's better to kill them before they kill you. I specifically tried a rebuilt Ulfar Warrior/Archimilitant melee combatant to see if a Strength warrior could work (how are you supposed to use Ulfar as a ranged combatant? He's built all wrong) and the results are borderline adequate at best.

At least Strength is more useful than... dunnow, Carouse?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom