Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

user

Savant
And finished. Im quite sure that story lost any resemblence of a bite past act 3. The most fun part for me was exploring Expanse and finding new places and quest, so basically Act 2. I kinda wish there was some Sunless Sea like aspects to trade and exploration. Besides that, companions were another good part, you know who, Abelard, Pasqal, Argenta, to lesser degree Cassia and Heinrix, really who cares about rest. Space combat was fun but its really limited by lack of option and being restricted to one small frigate.

Ehh after everything i finally got my power armor but i forgot to get its proficiency talent on any of my characters and next level up that allowed me to add that talent, happened after i defeated Ctan shard... XD
There was a great opportunity to introduce some roguelike elements (not like WotR's). Sunless is a nice example. More randomized space combat/locations/nodes, pirate attacks/events, contracts, planet skill checks for materials and so on. Hope the game gets fixed and fleshed out to what it could be in the next few years. Then again I am not that hopeful - as a huge fan of HoMM, WotR's campaign was a huge missed opportunity to make it into a proper fun HoMM-like mini-game. And it's a shame because all the work needed has already been put to it, all the assets needed have been created, but they are just terribly used design-wise.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
And finished. Im quite sure that story lost any resemblence of a bite past act 3. The most fun part for me was exploring Expanse and finding new places and quest, so basically Act 2. I kinda wish there was some Sunless Sea like aspects to trade and exploration. Besides that, companions were another good part, you know who, Abelard, Pasqal, Argenta, to lesser degree Cassia and Heinrix, really who cares about rest. Space combat was fun but its really limited by lack of option and being restricted to one small frigate.

Ehh after everything i finally got my power armor but i forgot to get its proficiency talent on any of my characters and next level up that allowed me to add that talent, happened after i defeated Ctan shard... XD

Jesus fuck spoilers man.

ArchAngel

Arcane
At least Strength is more useful than... dunnow, Carouse?
i put all of lards levelups into carouse xD
Carouse is even useful a bit and I've seen some items that use it for special bonuses (if those items actually work is another thing..) but Commerce was used like 3 times in up to mid way Act 4.. and 2 of those were some of those random things you click on maps that give you fluff info and 11 xp :D

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Owlcat_Eyler any plans to speed up saving of the game or loading screens (autosaves during loading screens slow it down in my opinion)? Also it seems game starts to save the game slower and slower as you play longer. Restart of the game speeds it up for a while.

Shaki

Arbiter
Owlcat_Eyler any plans to speed up saving of the game or loading screens (autosaves during loading screens slow it down in my opinion)? Also it seems game starts to save the game slower and slower as you play longer. Restart of the game speeds it up for a while.
It was the case in Pathfinders too, if they still didn't fix it, doubt they ever will.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Damn, why did they had to put some furries as space marines, when i heard Ulfar howling like some retard i wanted to slam my head into my desk. Im sure they could put any other chapter instead of those cringe vikangz, hah why not ignore spess mahrines altogether and give us pet kastelan robot. While we are there lets allow Pasqal to stuff Nomos there for those extra heresy points.

Be happy that they did not put in game the ultra-smerf's wifu (her) black son Comrade, after all the Owlcat is now western company so they need to keep it cosher.

Seriously was surprised how little the game is woke:

You got the unsanctioned psyker black wombyn who needs no man... and you can either give her to Most Holy Inquisition or your battle sister will blow her head off with bolt round, only question is why my Commissar Trader could not do it himself.

You meet knife eared bitch... you can kill her when meeting, take her with you, give her to Inquisition or she will betray you like filthy xenos she is and you can execute her also.

You mean sleazy semitic woman who embezzle you and treat you like complete simp... You find out she is deserter from IG... so... another bolt in head, this one was black outed dunno why the negro and knife bitches death were not.

Oh and there is supposedly way to get dark eldar too but I did not even tried, its something even heretic Rouge Trader would not be allowed to do... I promised him death and he died on arena... no forcing him like in other games.

Zariusz

Arbiter

There are few tracks that somewhat embedded themselves in my head but besides them, most of the soundtrack is just ok. I really wish music here was more like in that Mechanicus game, that soundtrack channeled Omnissiah straight to my soul.

bayoubilly

Novice
In purely narrative terms, what do you think each companion's tier two archetypes are? I think the class names are meant to describe your PC rather than the companions. But in terms of playstyle and abilities what seems most appropriate?

Some are kinda obvious - Abelard is a Vanguard (command class but focus on physical presence rules out strat/tac). Argentia is arch-militant like most Soritas, Yrilet is a ranger so assassin. But idk if Cassia is strat (all book learning) or tactical (reading emotions from autistic distance) or if Pascal is strat (duh) or bh (rationally disposing of enemies in planned sequence). And then I have absolutely no clue if Jae is tac or strat. Heinrix could easily be BH (sort of his job), Vangaurd (biomancer and morale officer), or Assassin (interogator knows anatomy). And absolutely no idea where to even begin with Idira.

I'm playing on hard but my meta-gaming/autism is sorta screwing up the narrative for me (Abelard makes a good assassin but fighting like that is absurd etc). Gonna try and add some difficulty by building the chars the way they act

ArchAngel

Arcane
I just "love" how all bonuses for your dude and his allies you get from planet improvements and quests just randomly disappear to never appear again.. it is not just changing Acts. I got some in Act 4 and lost randomly later..

Finished it today. The ending slides don't always match up which us really jarring.

End boss is easier then act iv bosses, which need to be heavily modified.

I'm tried of the endless helping xenos and 2 hour bosses fights.

I thought I was doing good build wise. However it appears I was wrong and really had a hard time.

Act iv / v need a major overall, several dozen balance passes, breathing room, and stop with the endless teleporting in xenos that never stop healing.

Rhobar121

Scholar
I don't understand how this shit works. Sometimes I stand behind a mob and it takes reduced damage, sometimes I stand in front of it and it takes full damage.
FMgTuuT.png

I'm literally centrally behind him.
Gb3ULCz.png

user

Savant

There are few tracks that somewhat embedded themselves in my head but besides them, most of the soundtrack is just ok. I really wish music here was more like in that Mechanicus game, that soundtrack channeled Omnissiah straight to my soul.

I love the soundtrack - think it ties amazingly with this crazy universe. Compared to Mechanicus it's way more metal too.

Rhobar121

Scholar
I see that even space combat is broken in act 5.
RkqcZcv.png

It doesn't work and deals 0 damage every turn, which means you have to kill each ship twice.

Vatnik Wumao
What is literally the point of this talent? I can't select it on any character.
h8XCmp5.png
It's a legacy perk from an earlier build when you could play as an unsanctioned psyker. Owlcat never bothered to remove it, they just made the requirements impossible to meet.

bayoubilly

Novice
What is literally the point of this talent? I can't select it on any character.
h8XCmp5.png
It's a legacy perk from an earlier build when you could play as an unsanctioned psyker. Owlcat never bothered to remove it, they just made the requirements impossible to meet.
That fucking sucks - I was looking forward to that as an end game option. finally giving your main some of the extra dakka all the other characters get to start with. (Even Abelard at least got field medic and I think Melta weapons for free)

Vatnik Wumao
The main character consistently lagging behind everyone is a deliberate design choice in modern RPGs. Wandering sword did this as well. I think it's supposed to show how every man and non special the main character is?

Rhobar121

Scholar
Another bug with Ulfar. During his last mission in Act 5, no matter what you choose, the last option in the book (the one where you only have one choice) will cause the game to always choose one ending for him.

bayoubilly

Novice
The main character consistently lagging behind everyone is a deliberate design choice in modern RPGs. Wandering sword did this as well. I think it's supposed to show how every man and non special the main character is?
I could see this as a fun design choice if it included a passably competent auto-level path for companions. The devs could assign companions mechanical personalities based off the choices the companion would likely make during level up, but (for once) still built decently enough for harder difficulties; they could also give the companions some unique skills that offet the weakness of a build based on narrative rather than math autism. The companions are unique and have abilities that make them very suited to their roles, while you are an everyman whose competence comes from raw build autism. But in most cases, like RT, you have to figure out how to level your companions and end up optimizing them like your MC, leaving you with a team of superior NPCs that includes one that is objectively better at whatever role you took. I end up not looking forward to my character's turn coming up in combat and it feels a little jarring to be reminded that there isn't really a reason for your companions to be following you around if you are less competent than they are.

Vatnik Wumao
Narratively, the main character only became lord captain because of luck. The actual successor mutated into a hideous chaos spawn during the prologue. The companions join you because you're the Lord captain, not they like the main character as a person.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Narratively, the main character only became lord captain because of luck. The actual successor mutated into a hideous chaos spawn during the prologue. The companions join you because you're the Lord captain, not they like the main character as a person.

BTW, I really, really hate this generic ass opening.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom