Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
To me the "problem" with Cassia has always been that you can pick her Navigator superpowers at every level, which means you can stack all those Willpower-based and Willpower-boosting synergies to ridiculous amounts. If they just made it so you only had certain levels where you could pick fewer Navigator powers, she'd be less of a special snowflake.

But it seems Owlcat are going the opposite way - making Pasqal an even more special snowflake in the same way by making his special powers available at every level up.

Bizarre. Maybe the just feel they have to honour the specialness of the characters in terms of the story, but if that were the case then surely Ulfar should be on a level with, or even more powerful than Cassia in terms of OP-ness, and being out of the league of the RT and the rest of his chums?

Erebus

Arcane
I'm surprised that people have even managed to finish this game. I've stopped playing two weeks ago because an essential dialogue was broken in the quest "Price of Humanity" in Act IV. I've just tried again and the dialogue is still fucking broken : Emelina simply stops talking to you and you can't talk to her again.
This one will be fixed in a big patch which is coming soon (soon indeed)

Well, the big patch has arrived and the dialogue with Emelina remains just as broken as before. At one point, I get the choice between "Heinrix, make sense of this for me..." and three other dialogue options ; no matter what I pick, the dialogue stops right after that and I can't talk to Emelina again.

The next time Owlcat releases a game, I'll remember that I should wait for an entire year before it's actually somewhat playable.

Stoned Ape

Savant
Is there actually any "tension" in the Red Sea nowadays or are they just trying to pull a fast one?
There's a problem with the Houthis (which are based in Yemen) attacking ships in the area due to Israel's invasion of Gaza. The US and UK launched a load of missile and drone attacks at some of their camps but it hasn't made much of a difference.

Stoned Ape

Savant
This patch has done all sorts of weird shit to inventory management for me, items keep vanishing when I try to pick them up and I can't equip or remove anything by dragging stuff onto slots. Think I'll uninstall the game for now and think about trying it again in a year or so.

I had far fewer problems with Kingmaker and WOTR than I've had with this, it's really frustrating.

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm surprised that people have even managed to finish this game. I've stopped playing two weeks ago because an essential dialogue was broken in the quest "Price of Humanity" in Act IV. I've just tried again and the dialogue is still fucking broken : Emelina simply stops talking to you and you can't talk to her again.
This one will be fixed in a big patch which is coming soon (soon indeed)

Well, the big patch has arrived and the dialogue with Emelina remains just as broken as before. At one point, I get the choice between "Heinrix, make sense of this for me..." and three other dialogue options ; no matter what I pick, the dialogue stops right after that and I can't talk to Emelina again.

The next time Owlcat releases a game, I'll remember that I should wait for an entire year before it's actually somewhat playable.
Bahaha Owlcat veterans should know this instinctively

REhorror

Educated
Seems there's a big balance patch, mostly fixing and adding a bunch more voice acting for the story side tho.

I will probably get back to this once the expansion hits.

REhorror

Educated
I find it strange so many people are into the weird mutant fish waifu, it's probably the whole sheltered rich bitch personality type that people like.

Hmmmmmm. Idears.

Also, Cassia is one of the most "complete" companions. Her quest goes somewhere and it's playable (with somewhat unique maps to boot, probably material recycled from the cancelled Craftworld missions), she keeps having dialogue until Chapter 5 ( a rarity) and she's less of a stereotype than essentially anyone else.

Seriously, you can't fuck Argenta (and she's brainless anyway) who are you going to fuck? The retardo elf, the asshole criminal or the minority hire chaos worshiper?
Heretic detected.
*BLAM*

REhorror

Educated
I find it strange so many people are into the weird mutant fish waifu, it's probably the whole sheltered rich bitch personality type that people like.
No, it's the same thing that BG2 Aerie started, you make a romance option that acts like a child, but "akshually she's just a sheltered/naive/not used to humans, x years old elf/succubuss/mutant and it's totally not weird", so the gamers can have the experience of grooming a teenager.
I think I read a similar thread on Steam.
What's with cuck nowadays and their inability to accept young girl romance?

It's like an anti-traditional thing where you are supposed to romance 25-35 year old woman but a 16-18 year old is not OK.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Huh. Did we know sales had passed 500k?

https://www.windowscentral.com/gami...-500000-copies-sold-as-massive-update-arrives

Article to save the clicks:

What you need to know​

• Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader is a turn-based RPG developed and published by Owlcat Games.
  • Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader recently crossed 500,000 copies sold, making it the fastest-selling game ever from Owlcat Games.
  • The development team also launched a new patch across all platforms, with over 1,800 fixes and improvements.

The vast Koronus Expanse is becoming well-populated.

Turn-based role-playing game Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader crossed 500,000 copies sold since its launch in December 2023, as shared by developer and publisher Owlcat Games. The game first launched back on Dec. 8, 2023 across Xbox Series X|S, Windows PC, and PlayStation 5, and with this latest milestone, it's sold faster than Owlcat Games' prior titles, Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.

Marking the occasion, the game has received an utterly gargantuan update on all platforms, with over 1,800 fixes and improvements. The catalog of patch notes is available, but beware of major story spoilers if you haven't already finished the game. To summarize in spoiler-free fashion, an extremely high number of glitches and errors have been fixed, while characters have been rebalanced, the overall difficulty has been adjusted, and the game's prologue section is now fully voiced.

What else can Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader players look forward to?​

Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader is slated to get two expansions later in the year. The first big DLC pack, Void Shadows, is all about the ship, bringing new ways of interacting with the Von Valencius flagship. New side stories, upgrades, and even a new companion are being added, and this expansion is slated to launch in June 2024.

The second expansion is called Lex Imperialis, and when it arrives in December 2024, it'll have another new companion, as players grapple with the effects of the Imperial Tithe. Both expansions are estimated to add around 15 hours of gameplay to the already-grand length of the game. Due to the nature of the game's narrative progression, both of these expansions are also being build explicitly with fresh playthroughs in mind.

Analysis: A deserved milestone for an underrated game​

2023 was an absolutely packed year for games, and Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader launched toward the end of the year as many people were getting ready for the holidays, so I understand why some may have missed it. That said, I'm very glad it's still finding an audience, and with this latest massive round of updates, hopefully even more people hop in.

I really enjoyed the dozens of hours I poured into that game. The writing is superb, and it truly captures the nature of Warhammer 40,000 in a way that a lot of media doesn't.

In my review of Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader, I wrote that "Choices and options aplenty never detract from or feel ill-suited to the setting, and a clever layout makes this a solid entry point for any Warhammer newcomers."

notpl

Arbiter
Well, yeah, obviously. They won't reap the bullshit they sowed with Rogue Trader until their next game. That's how these things work.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Well, yeah, obviously. They won't reap the bullshit they sowed with Rogue Trader until their next game. That's how these things work.

Gamers don't have long memories, and it's not like they really have anything else to spend money on. Also, people who bought the Pathfinder games knew what they were getting into.

As it stands, Owlcat will be sort of an underdog foil to the current normie darling Larian. A lot of people actually like Owlcat's writing, and build-oriented combat to endure the mountains of bugs and jank.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Gamers don't have long memories, and it's not like they really have anything else to spend money on. Also, people who bought the Pathfinder games knew what they were getting into.

As it stands, Owlcat will be sort of an underdog foil to the current normie darling Larian. A lot of people actually like Owlcat's writing, and build-oriented combat to endure the mountains of bugs and jank.

I'm a case in point myself. Owlcat games are comfy enough for me to endure the inevitable year of bugs and jank (and the half-assed woke bits). Their "house style" is just congenial to me, and is certainly the closest contemporary product (in terms of presentation and design, allowing for graphics developments) to the BG/BG2 that got me into the genre.

But I would rather they got it right(er) first time. Something surely has to change about the way they do things, it's getting beyond a joke.

Shaki

Arbiter
No, it's the same thing that BG2 Aerie started, you make a romance option that acts like a child, but "akshually she's just a sheltered/naive/not used to humans, x years old elf/succubuss/mutant and it's totally not weird", so the gamers can have the experience of grooming a teenager.

It's like an anti-traditional thing where you are supposed to romance 25-35 year old woman but a 16-18 year old is not OK.
It's the other way around, traditional thing was to hang pedos from the nearest tree, it's all changed with the arrival of the modern "LGBT movement", which was infested with pedos from the very beginning. Games, especially bioware-like RPG games, always were popular in these circles, you can find more trannies that are into RPGs, than pretty much any other hobby. That's why this genre always had some pedobait content in it, in jRPGs it was in the open, in western ones it was hidden at the beginning, and began growing together with the strength of the LGBT movement in the mainstream. It's not a coincidence that Aerie romance was wrote by one of the biggest degenerates on the scene, big "trans kids" supporter David Gaider.

Conservatoid purity spiral gradually turning everyone into a 90's mom, forms a nice balance against the progressist purity spiral gradually turning everyone into antifa.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

https://www.windowscentral.com/gami...-500000-copies-sold-as-massive-update-arrives

What you need to know​

• Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader is a turn-based RPG developed and published by Owlcat Games.
  • Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader recently crossed 500,000 copies sold, making it the fastest-selling game ever from Owlcat Games.
  • The development team also launched a new patch across all platforms, with over 1,800 fixes and improvements.

Turn-based role-playing game Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader crossed 500,000 copies sold since its launch in December 2023, as shared by developer and publisher Owlcat Games. The game first launched back on Dec. 8, 2023 across Xbox Series X|S, Windows PC, and PlayStation 5, and with this latest milestone, it's sold faster than Owlcat Games' prior titles, Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.

Marking the occasion, the game has received an utterly gargantuan update on all platforms, with over 1,800 fixes and improvements. The catalog of patch notes is available, but beware of major story spoilers if you haven't already finished the game. To summarize in spoiler-free fashion, an extremely high number of glitches and errors have been fixed, while characters have been rebalanced, the overall difficulty has been adjusted, and the game's prologue section is now fully voiced.

Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader is slated to get two expansions later in the year. The first big DLC pack, Void Shadows, is all about the ship, bringing new ways of interacting with the Von Valencius flagship. New side stories, upgrades, and even a new companion are being added, and this expansion is slated to launch in June 2024.

The second expansion is called Lex Imperialis, and when it arrives in December 2024, it'll have another new companion, as players grapple with the effects of the Imperial Tithe. Both expansions are estimated to add around 15 hours of gameplay to the already-grand length of the game. Due to the nature of the game's narrative progression, both of these expansions are also being build explicitly with fresh playthroughs in mind.

2023 was an absolutely packed year for games, and Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader launched toward the end of the year as many people were getting ready for the holidays, so I understand why some may have missed it. That said, I'm very glad it's still finding an audience, and with this latest massive round of updates, hopefully even more people hop in.

I really enjoyed the dozens of hours I poured into that game. The writing is superb, and it truly captures the nature of Warhammer 40,000 in a way that a lot of media doesn't.

In my review of Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader, I wrote that "Choices and options aplenty never detract from or feel ill-suited to the setting, and a clever layout makes this a solid entry point for any Warhammer newcomers."
Huh, they didn't gave a source where that 500k numbers came from tho . But i take that's good because it took Wrath over a 1year and few months to sell 1million.

While Rogue Trader sold 500k in the first month

Ryzer

Arcane

What you need to know​

Huh, they didn't gave a source where that 500k numbers came from tho . But i take that's good because it took Wrath over a 1year and few months to sell 1million.

While Rogue Trader sold 500k in the first month
And then we are going to get a Mass-Effect clone from Owlcat.

REhorror

Educated

It's the other way around, traditional thing was to hang pedos from the nearest tree, it's all changed with the arrival of the modern "LGBT movement", which was infested with pedos from the very beginning. Games, especially bioware-like RPG games, always were popular in these circles, you can find more trannies that are into RPGs, than pretty much any other hobby. That's why this genre always had some pedobait content in it, in jRPGs it was in the open, in western ones it was hidden at the beginning, and began growing together with the strength of the LGBT movement in the mainstream. It's not a coincidence that Aerie romance was wrote by one of the biggest degenerates on the scene, big "trans kids" supporter David Gaider.
Really, wanting to romance 16-18 year old is "pedo"?

Are you sure you want to go over this, m8?

Ebonsword

Arcane
Beat the final boss last night. Despite the new patch, Cassia still obliterated him on Round 1.

The ending slides seemed to go on forever and, frankly, I didn't really care about what most of them said. I was really just interested in the fate of my companions.

Oh, and, fittingly, the game crashed during the end credits.

Despite all that...I really enjoyed this game. I've wanted a big 40K CRPG for *decades* and, while this is certainly flawed, it scratches a particular itch that no other game can.

I think I will play through it again, but try to use mostly custom characters and see how different of an experience it is.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
The Starfinder Trilogy. Where you teamup with Rex , the Vesk, Garry, the Shirren and Liana, the Kasatha plus two normal humans. :M

Last edited:

Rhobar121

Scholar

REhorror

Educated
The Starfinder Trilogy. Where you teamup with Rex , the Vesk, Garry, the Shirren and Liana, the Kasatha plus two normal humans. :M
I swear to god if Owlcat decides to do action RPG after this....
It has been known for a long time that Owlcat is preparing something like a Russian ME.
I'm preparing for some hilarious half-baked jank, except this time much shorter and requires even more money, and it can't be defended because it's much easier to notice fault if you are 3rd person or 1st person than isometric.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom