Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I'm preparing for some hilarious half-baked jank, except this time much shorter and requires even more money, and it can't be defended because it's much easier to notice fault if you are 3rd person or 1st person than isometric.
Honestly, i hope after the sucess of BG3 they noticed that sticking to Isometric games would be a viable choice.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
And then we are going to get a Mass-Effect clone from Owlcat.
The Starfinder Trilogy. Where you teamup with Rex , the Vesk, Garry, the Shirren and Liana, the Kasatha plus two normal humans. :M
I swear to god if Owlcat decides to do action RPG after this....
It has been known for a long time that Owlcat is preparing something like a Russian ME.

Wasn't Precursors already that? If Owlcat do make an ME-like game, the jank level on release will probably match Precursors', but unlike Precursors it will probably be tidied up eventually :)

I wouldn't blame Owlcat for trying to branch out and challenge themselves - they've done 3 and some bits of pretty huge classic style CRPGs, they probably would like to try their hand at something different.

Shaki

Arbiter
The Starfinder Trilogy. Where you teamup with Rex , the Vesk, Garry, the Shirren and Liana, the Kasatha plus two normal humans. :M
It has been known for a long time that Owlcat is preparing something like a Russian ME.

Wasn't Precursors already that? If Owlcat do make an ME-like game, the jank level on release will probably match Precursors', but unlike Precursors it will probably be tidied up eventually :)

I wouldn't blame Owlcat for trying to branch out and challenge themselves - they've done 3 and some bits of pretty huge classic style CRPGs, they probably would like to try their hand at something different.
Ok, but why "something different" has to be shitty action genre, just do something actually enjoyable like a 4x or some type of grand strategy game, they love to stick some weird strategy-like minigames into their RPGs, so why not lean fully into it? Their number autism approach is actually something that strategy players tend to appreciate too, so it'd be a good fit, unlike an action game.

Rhobar121

Scholar

Ok, but why "something different" has to be shitty action genre, just do something actually enjoyable like a 4x or some type of grand strategy game, they love to stick some weird strategy-like minigames into their RPGs, so why not lean fully into it? Their number autism approach is actually something that strategy players tend to appreciate too, so it'd be a good fit, unlike an action game.
All of their "additional" mechanics were complete crap. Do you really think they would be able to create a good game based on some strategic system?

REhorror

Educated

All of their "additional" mechanics were complete crap. Do you really think they would be able to create a good game based on some strategic system?
Rogue Trader feels pretty satisfying to play, so yeah?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm surprised that people have even managed to finish this game. I've stopped playing two weeks ago because an essential dialogue was broken in the quest "Price of Humanity" in Act IV. I've just tried again and the dialogue is still fucking broken : Emelina simply stops talking to you and you can't talk to her again.
This one will be fixed in a big patch which is coming soon (soon indeed)

Well, the big patch has arrived and the dialogue with Emelina remains just as broken as before. At one point, I get the choice between "Heinrix, make sense of this for me..." and three other dialogue options ; no matter what I pick, the dialogue stops right after that and I can't talk to Emelina again.

The next time Owlcat releases a game, I'll remember that I should wait for an entire year before it's actually somewhat playable.
Are you sure you don't have to start new game? If it's in save files, then patch will not fix it.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

To be fair, I think the ship combat in RT is the funnest "side-game" they've done yet. But kingdom management and crusade in their previous games were pretty dire (although kingdom management was eventually fixed up enough to be okay, but crusade was still bad the last time I played WOTR).

REhorror

Educated

To be fair, I think the ship combat in RT is the funnest "side-game" they've done yet. But kingdom management and crusade in their previous games were pretty dire (although kingdom management was eventually fixed up enough to be okay, but crusade was still bad the last time I played WOTR).
It's decent I guess, but I want more options.
Same for the Colony Management.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

It's decent I guess, but I want more options.
Same for the Colony Management.

Yeah I would like more options - and more connections and consequences related to the rest of the game, as I think someone above, or maybe the review pointed out. There are a lot of dangly bits that seem to portend further consequences but don't, especially in the space game. It would be great if all that detail was filled in.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Mods will fix it.

Heretic detected.
*BLAM*

Brethren, it is indeed proven that white-haired Sisters of Battle are indeed the ultimate choice for the Man of Taste and Honour (the only other option are the fortunately non-canonical female version of Primarchs) but Argenta is boring as hell. She's mechanically the best damage dealer you can think of BUT

Her personal dialogue is boring, she's a Sister stereotype. Nothing wrong with that, but Owlcat's writing keeps trying to make her a Paladin In Space and it feels incredibly off, a lot of her dialogue seems to come out of Wrathfinder. Very little banter or interruption during dialogue.

Personal quest BLATANTLY unfinished. Orphans and random encounter with cultists, that's it. Her final quest is essentially a bugged flag that gives you a Power Armour and that's it. It's like a lot of things in RT: unfinished, half-assed, lacking effort.

To find a 2d toon interesting she needs to have character. Cassia has character (if you like or not fish tits it's beyond the point). The main sin of Argenta is that she's dull.

std::namespace

Seriously, you can't fuck Argenta
Mods will fix it.
show me your wraith bone
NsmWCZA.png

Aarwolf

Learned
people who bought the Pathfinder games knew what they were getting into.

Yes and no. I was a backer for both Pathfinders and I played them both on launch, so I knew what would come, but even then I wasn't expecting this much. WOTR was in much better shape on launch than Kingmaker and I thought of it as of the progress they made. I expected (foolishly) that RT would be even better in terms of bugginess and QOL thingies, but it was worse than even Kingmaker. I wasn't expecting this and I broke - my wife loves the game much and she played it couple of times after the launch, but I can't bring myself to play it again soon, if ever. I don't know now, but at the moment I don't know if I would buy their next game day one, or after a year or two, heavily discounted.

Erebus

Arcane
Well, the big patch has arrived and the dialogue with Emelina remains just as broken as before. At one point, I get the choice between "Heinrix, make sense of this for me..." and three other dialogue options ; no matter what I pick, the dialogue stops right after that and I can't talk to Emelina again.

The next time Owlcat releases a game, I'll remember that I should wait for an entire year before it's actually somewhat playable.
Are you sure you don't have to start new game? If it's in save files, then patch will not fix it.

I considered that it might be the case, but it seems weird : my save file is set before the quest even starts, so why would the patch require me to start a new game just to have a dialogue that works ?

Well, I'll probably start a new game in 5-6 months anyway. Act 2 was great, but I hated Act 3, so it's not like I'm eager to get back to the game.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Huh, they didn't gave a source where that 500k numbers came from tho . But i take that's good because it took Wrath over a 1year and few months to sell 1million.

While Rogue Trader sold 500k in the first month
I think the source was linked in the article... a press release from Uberstrategist released on behalf of Owlcat: https://www.gamespress.com/en-GB/Ow...uccessful-Warhammer-40000-Rogue-Trader-Launchhttp://gasmepress.com

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom