Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games

Trithne

Erudite
TBF, making a Navigator the most OP character in the game is lore-accurate.

Just like pokemon, the rarer someone is in 40k, the stronger they are.

:obviously:

Of course, this raises the question of why is our Navigator leaving the ship where they can be potentially shot and leave us without one again.

You can't miss Cassia. You can choose not to bring her along, but she's so far and away better than everyone else why would you.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Man do people also bitch when you play IG and kick some Chaos ass in Dawn of War or something?

This fixation os MUH SPESH MAHREEN NEED TO BE INVINCIBLE is retarded

Well, I mean the phrase "genetically-engineered super-soldier" does tend to suggest that they're rather a cut above.
The point is Spesh Marine getting their arse kicked is not a new thing be it in Tabletop or even in GW published story. Especially CSM due to excessive IoM wankery in the stories

notpl

Arbiter
Man do people also bitch when you play IG and kick some Chaos ass in Dawn of War or something?

Well, I mean the phrase "genetically-engineered super-soldier" does tend to suggest that they're rather a cut above.
Being a cut above doesn't make you immune to concentrated laser and machine gun fire from six people, several of whom are themselves seasoned, cybernetically augmented military veterans though. The complaint is retarded.

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

A cut(tier) above is not equal to invincible anime supersaiyan over nine thousand.
Being OP is for Primarchs and God Emperor.

Edit: also John Grammaticus and other perpetuals.
https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Perpetual

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Perspective is everything.

Outside of the Imperial Guard, the other basic unit for 40k armies are:

• Nigh-unkillable robot undead that fought against space gods.
  • Giant fungal beasts created by said space gods to be good for war. Also has nascent, weird psyker abilities.
  • Immortal space elf with hundreds of years+ of experience, just not trapped in one particular way of war like their super elite aspect dudes. Also made by space gods.
  • Evil version of the above.
  • Endless swarms of the bugs from Starship Troopers, but they have guns now.
  • Evil version of space marines, but with more experience and more bling.
  • A better space marine (Grey Knights, Custodes)
  • Space nun with access to the same gear.
  • Anime sniper with a better gun than you. In fact, its gun is so good it arguably broke the setting, according to some tabletop players years ago.
  • On and on it goes.
But yeah, to your average guardsman Space Marines are walking tanks with 10-foot dicks called chain/power/force weapons.

Keep in mind, the Imperial Guard is supposed to be a grimdark human wave army with huge attrition rates. I blame mostly the Horus Heresy for making astartes seem more than they are, but this has been happening in the lore for years.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I don't get the complailns about the mechanics, I love all the layered buffs/debuffs, the ballistics style hit and damage mechanics vs. dodge and cover and whatnot, nice juicy, mildly simulationist stuff. And while I can see it's too complicated for tabletop, what the hell have we got computers for if not to crunch numbers?

What I'm actually finding a bit annoying is the encounter design, map-wise. One never seems to have enough movement points to get to useful spots, cover is in useless places, etc., there are always mobs in the distance it takes an annoying bit of extra time to finish off, etc.

I mean, presumably they did the layouts as blank blocks first, shuffled things around till they're playable, etc., then dressed them up with appropriate graphics, like the nuXCOM guys did - but maybe not.

In other news, WHAT THE FUCK IS JAE'S ACCENT???? It liquefies my brain to listen to her. Some chemically unstable blend of cod actors' Hispanic and Oirish?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In other news, WHAT THE FUCK IS JAE'S ACCENT???? It liquefies my brain to listen to her. Some chemically unstable blend of cod actors' Hispanic and Oirish?
I haven't heard it, but the actress is Iranian.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
colony project (sacred comet) broke colony management and I cant open that window anymore :? even visiting planets does not work
oh well fuck em then hope its not tied to the main plot in chapter 5

its not a meme that everything is broken, talents + story + abilities + general mechanics + quests, and it probably only gets worse when I reach the next chapter. I gave up reporting stuff chapter 3 dont want to do it every 5 min

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It's cool that you get like 3 consecutive turns and +200 to every stat and whatnot with the current system but what exactly does any of this have to do with the actual Rogue Trader PnP. Because the FFG one sure didn't have any of this. Plus the system would be unplayable in any real world game because everyone has to keep track of 20+ different buffs and debuffs.
So what? We have computing power to track that shit instead of fleshbag DM. It's evolution, not a carbon copy.
It's Rogue Trader in name only

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's cool that you get like 3 consecutive turns and +200 to every stat and whatnot with the current system but what exactly does any of this have to do with the actual Rogue Trader PnP. Because the FFG one sure didn't have any of this. Plus the system would be unplayable in any real world game because everyone has to keep track of 20+ different buffs and debuffs.
So what? We have computing power to track that shit instead of fleshbag DM. It's evolution, not a carbon copy.
BG3 fanboy detected :)

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
BG3 fanboy detected :)
What? BG3 is DANDINO but that's inherent to 5e.

std::namespace

man i fucking respec in the game
level up is barely tolerable but i died in respec after half a character...

pls toybox, let me exchange individual picks... plssllslslsls

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
After I skipped the buggy main quest trigger using ToyBox I managed to finish the game at about 80 hours
Can you elaborate on what you did to progress? I believe I'm stuck at the same spot with the cutscene not ending after you interact with the cogitator.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
started an officer imperial dude with focus on fellowship and wisdom and intellect n shit. is that good?
Anyway cool start off..

Also started on Daring difficulty, is that for pussies, and should I up it to Hard?

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
started an officer imperial dude with focus on fellowship and wisdom and intellect n shit. is that good?
Anyway cool start off..

Also started on Daring difficulty, is that for pussies, and should I up it to Hard?
I would not recommend that, an officer does not really fight you also get 2 companions who are officers. I mean officers are great but as a main? meh.

notpl

Arbiter
Companions are mostly stronger than you, playing an officer who buffs his team is perfectly viable.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
wearing dress?

wFr9qBk.png
QArrP11.png

I dare you to say it to call Magnus the Red or any Librarian space marine "dress wearer"

Companions are mostly stronger than you, playing an officer who buffs his team is perfectly viable.

Yes, this is how I was playing till I decided to only play when a modder fixes psyker powers. Reached chapter 4.

Reinhardt

Arcane

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ok, I finally did the CSM fight yesterday on Hard with lvl 15 team (Henrix instead of Idira). Managed to kill him on attempt 2.
In first one I didn't know he could move so much so he moved into position in line with two of my main tanks and dropped one with Burst Fire and left other at low HP who then got sniped by their sniper before he got his turn. CSM also used same turn to move to Argenta and kick her prone... once she died in turn 2 I decided to try again :D

Overall I think fight was hard but fair, enemy felt dangerous like a Space Marine should. They did make it easier as on attempt two on turn 1 he moved towards the ships and used Bolter to take out just one of my tanks and on turn 2 he destroyed one of the ships and didn't fight my guys. So he basically gave me two turns to buff up, debuff him and deal with sniper.
I think if he fought me each turn like he did on attempt 1 it would be a slaughter each time.
So any complaints about him not being strong enough, I do not agree, he basically got killed by his own hubris but underestimating the danger you pose to him.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Now the real problem is that I got lvl 16 after that fight which means I need to pick advanced classes and their descriptions are missing (not a bug but bad design) and I can only really see details of first skill you get from each.
I tried to level up Argenta but could not figure out if Bounty Hunter or Arch Militant is better for burst fire ranged character (it was 2 AM so I didn't have time to study it in detail). And then I need to do same for others..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom