Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
By the by, does anyone have download links for the Mark Morgan tracks InXile has released so far?

I know a lot of people have lost a bit of interest for W2, because of all the other KS projects, but still this is the one I look forward to the most. I hope they will make a great game. I'm glad that it will be a bigger game than Fallout 1. And I hope we'll see more concrete stuff soon. Map travel and maybe more diverse random encounters should work well for Wasteland 2. I wonder does anyone know will there be non combat random encounters like merchant caravans, or city patrols, like in Fallout (I certainly hope there will be)?

I know a lot of people have lost a bit of interest for W2, because of all the other KS projects, but still this is the one I look forward to the most.
Agreed. That hex-grid turn-based combat can't get here soon enough!

Yeah, but that's not the only reason I look forward to it. I miss a good PA sci-fi game, since "old" Fallouts. That feeling of wandering the wastes is not an easy one to forget. :oops: I would really like to know will there be random encounters on the world map that are not just combat ones (like traders, caravans, guards...). Maybe Brother None will be able to say something on the matter (if he can)? :D Also, will there be combat taunts during fights with sentient opponents? And even robots? I thing that gave the world a nice feeling of it being "really" alive.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Kirtai

Augur
It wouldn't surprise me if Cherenkov radiation is seen as too pretty for a proper post-apocalyptic feel.

Project: Eternity
If you want to see the actual color of radiation, check the attached link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa0Fmcv83

While Cherenkov radiation is a real phenomenon, your post is retarded. It's like proposing that blue is the "actual color" of sunlight because of Rayleigh scattering in Earth's atmosphere.
meh, while your reply is technically accurate, anytime you see anything "radioactive" glowing in non-contrived circumstances it will be a blue glow. A better phrasing would be calling it "the glow caused by radiation".

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Shut up fags. Colors don't even exist. They're nothing more than some shit your brian made up to represent specific frequencies of electromagnetic waves.

KithKanan

Novice
If I had to guess where the "radiation" color came from, it would be uranium glass and radium dials both of which were fairly common pre-WWII and so people would have had familiarity with them when thinking about what "radiactive stuff" looked like during the early cold war (even though uranium glass only glows under UV light and radium paint glows because of a phosphor in the paint activated by the radiation, not because of the radioactive substance itself).

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
meh, while your reply is technically accurate, anytime you see anything "radioactive" glowing in non-contrived circumstances it will be a blue glow. A better phrasing would be calling it "the glow caused by radiation".

Wrong again. This is a pellet of plutonium-238 dioxide, often used in radioisotope thermoelectric generators (satellite/spacecraft power sources). As I said earlier, some radioactive materials will glow red-hot.

762px-Radioisotope_thermoelectric_generator_plutonium_pellet.jpg

If I had to guess where the "radiation" color came from, it would be uranium glass and radium dials both of which were fairly common pre-WWII and so people would have had familiarity with them when thinking about what "radiactive stuff" looked like during the early cold war (even though uranium glass only glows under UV light and radium paint glows because of a phosphor in the paint activated by the radiation, not because of the radioactive substance itself).

I already mentioned that on the previous page.

Gord

Arcane
"Radiation" from radioactive material has no color per se, it's usually either particles (alpha or beta) or very-high-frequency em radiation (gamma).
What we perceive as color is due to secondary processes that are themselves caused by radiation (like accelerated particles entering a dielectric medium in case of Cherenkov radiation or black-body radiation due to heating by energy released in the decay processes).

After all, Hiroshima didn't glow blue after it was bombed.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
That's about the size of it, yes. The original point I was making was that green = radiation is wrong. It was an off-the-cuff comment not meant to turn into an episode of Mr. Wizard, but I couldn't resist replying to a citation of blue as the "actual color" of radiation.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Now I may not be a big-city physicist here but isn't colour just a label our brain is assigning to the signals it's receiving from the retina?

It follows then that if our retina could actually see not just the small chunk of the radiation spectrum but the entirety of it, our brain would just throw a whole bunch of additional labels at it. So I'd say even if we don't know what is the colour of, say, gamma radiation, it sure as shit is not red or blue or green or in fact anything we know now. The colour of gamma radiation would be what our brain would choose for it if our eyes could see it.

Gord

Arcane
Blaine, I think we are both suffering from this:

duty_calls.png

Also I guess that KithKanan is right with his suspected attribution of green glow with radiation due to e.g. dials in wrist-watches.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Also I guess that KithKanan is right with his suspected attribution of green glow with radiation due to e.g. dials in wrist-watches.

I posted this last Tuesday. It's how the entire derailment began.

Fuck those haters that thought blue rocks were unrealistic in Fallout, neh?

Someday, they'll be crushed to discover that all radiation doesn't emit a bright green glow, and that that misconception stems entirely from the use of a glow-in-the-dark radium admixture applied to watch dials back in the day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom